Menu

be careful when returning items to Sonlight!

I wanted to toss out that this spring, I had some issues with RR sending me items I'd ordered at a conference, but sending the wrong items. At first, it seemed like I was out some money, but in the end, they not only refunded my money, but paid for me to ship the items back that were mistakenly sent. It got hairy for a short time but resolved to my satisfaction. The biggest problems were #1, a child did the ordering at their booth and made the mistake and #2, they had too many people at the office involved, so there were mix ups on who said what to whom.

In the end, it was worked out. I'll still buy from them, but I won't rely on them to be accurate at the booth, when it's hot, people are standing impatiently in line and there's no adult employee supervising. I'll fill the order out myself and then hand it over with my payment.

I'm glad to hear about the Shekinah place. I'll have to look that up.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I'm sorry you have to deal with that kind of nonsense. Either they have a return policy or they don't, and they make it sound like you can use the books, and if SL doesn't work for you, you can send everything back for a refund.

Apparently, that's not exactly how it works. :glare:

Cat

I think the only time that applies is when a whole Core is purchased from them. You can try it out using 18 weeks worth of the Core, and if you don't like it, you ship the whole thing back (or keep what items you want and ship back the rest). This will delete your Core Club membership and they will refund your money. BUT the items for weeks, 18 plus must be in unused condition. You also have a whole year to try out the 18 weeks. Otherwise, their return policy is 6 months I believe and then items must be in unused condition.

I have ordered 4 complete cores through Sonlight including science kits. Everything was packed perfectly and all items were in excellent condition. I have ordered numerous single items (free shipping and 10% discount after buying cores) and again, everything arrived in perfect, well-packed order. I'm sorry that you had this experience. It's very disappointing when you believe a company supplies good customer service and then they don't.

I am wondering what part the shippers are playing in the condition of the goods we are receiving. I have never had books delivered in such poor condition as I have had the past 4 months. I received an order from RFWP where the items were sandwiched between cardboard and mailed in a bubblewrap mailer. The corners of the books were seriously scrunched. An order from lulu was packaged in a cardboard mailer and arrived in a similar condition. My book packages have looked really abused and this is not the fault of the seller.

Sorry, way too tired with no sleep last night. But perhaps some of the problems people are currently experiencing don't have to do with improper actions on either end. Does this make any sense? I'm so trying to avoid the coffee.

I would be very disappointed to have this happen. I've never bought from Sonlight. I placed one order to Rainbow Resources, and I realized one item was not quite the right one; they sent out a replacement and told me to keep the other one.

I have had many packages from Amazon. In one case, the book was scratched all over the cover; when I complained, I was given a return label and a replacement was quickly sent to me (arrived a few days later; they did not wait for the other to be processed). In another case, the book (a children's paperback picture book) was sent in a box that was too small; in transit, it bent horizontally, along the margin. I was immediately given a partial refund.

I've had reasonably good success with used book marketplace type places like Abebooks and Alibris. I had a few problems (specifically -- books listed as in "very good" shape that turned up to have substantial highlighting) and was refunded the money. Better World Books, which sells independently as well as through those sites, has been good about problems as well.

Got off the phone with SL. They will refund me $60.00 that they damaged from the iron fillings spilling out all over the place inside of box.

So I'm still out $140.00. I asked if maybe they could give me a credit..NO, asked if they'd be willing to just *write it off* if I continued to be a customer and placed another order for the correct core that I wanted to place to begin with...NO.

So there ya go, they are willing to lose a customer with kids only in 6th and 9th grades and most likely continue using SL, but NO..no budging on their end.

So, for $140 dollars they lost a customer and were fine with that....

So I'm still out $140.00.

I wouldn't take that as the final word.

Did you pay by credit card? If so, talk to your credit card company about getting a chargeback for the $140. They'll send you a letter asking you to write out your side of the story, and they'll want copies of any relevant information. Then they'll decide if you deserve your money back. Sonlight will have to live with their decision.

Edited by jplain

So, for $140 dollars they lost a customer and were fine with that....

And that is the attitude I felt when I was looking into SL. "We're Sonlight, take us or leave us." No flexibility.

ETA: I was looking into SL around the time of their great forum fiasco and when they were sending out letters to people basically detailing what a customer's responsibilities to their company were. It was very off-putting, and they seem to demand a level of loyalty from their customers that they aren't willing to reciprocate.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

Got off the phone with SL. They will refund me $60.00 that they damaged from the iron fillings spilling out all over the place inside of box.

So I'm still out $140.00. I asked if maybe they could give me a credit..NO, asked if they'd be willing to just *write it off* if I continued to be a customer and placed another order for the correct core that I wanted to place to begin with...NO.

Perhaps you could call back and ask to speak with the person in charge of customer service. Sometimes, the reps' decisions aren't cast in stone.

It's worth a try. $140 is a lot of money to lose.

Cat

I think the problem is that they don't realize what the books look like when they ship to us! I get dinged corners, creases, etc. all the time, but I don't complain. 90% of the books I receive probably have the tiny damages as well.

Having worked in a warehouse that sold books, I can assure you that simply storing a book on a shelf and then taking it off that shelf and placing onto a cart to bring to the boxing station is enough to put several dings in the books - covers, spines, etc. To say nothing of the "damage" if the warehouse worker happens to drop the book.

I once received a new book from B&N that looked like a truck ran over it - fortunately, I had a retail store nearby to bring it for return. The store clerk at first wasn't going to accept it and wanted us to send it back to the warehouse, but dh put up a stink and said it was a gift and he refused to waste the time sending it back when they had a perfectly good copy in the store to exchange it with.

Perhaps you could call back and ask to speak with the person in charge of customer service. Sometimes, the reps' decisions aren't cast in stone.

It's worth a try. $140 is a lot of money to lose.

Cat

Cat, One of the higher ups made the decision, that's why I had to wait several hours for them to call me back...

It's not just the money...I feel like I *don't mean anything* to them, almost like a dejected feeling, not even mad or upset anymore, just sooo disappointed.

So, my husband told me to use Abeka with my girls along with TT.

And just use their book list for supplimental reading.

Actually my 6th grader is begging to do Abeka, I just wanted to be a Literature mom..but it is not to be...*sigh*....

And that is the attitude I felt when I was looking into SL. "We're Sonlight, take us or leave us." No flexibility.

ETA: I was looking into SL around the time of their great forum fiasco and when they were sending out letters to people basically detailing what a customer's responsibilities to their company were. It was very off-putting, and they seem to demand a level of loyalty from their customers that they aren't willing to reciprocate.

Tara

Tara...there has been a ton of *crap* going on the SL message boards...

it's all very catty and clicky just like highschool.

Very unfriendly and long term friendships have been established over there, and not very open to newcomers...

I have found these boards and HSR boards to be the most friendly!

I wanted to add that one of the reasons I love TWTM so much is that it's a complete curriculum without all the drama. You can get your resources where you feel most comfortable getting them, and SWB doesn't hassle you. ;)

Tara

WP won't get any of it because of their creepy, controlling no-resell policy. Too bad, because their program looks nice.

LOL! I am planning some similar to WP stuff, keep looking for samples!

I know $200 is petty money for some who can afford to purchase things left and right, but not for me, my husband is so mad at me and frustrated with it all, he says to just send them back to school, that all this curriculum hunting etc...is not worth it
I know exactly what you mean! So many people on these threads act like they have full control of the money and can choose to make curricula a priority. That is not true here! :grouphug:

I just wanted to post a reply about how wonderful Amazon has always been to me.:)

I have never had a problem and I "think" I have spent several thousand with them over the last 8 years. I have had many returns in that time and I have always received a fast refund, sometimes with shipping.

I have used a couple SL cores and always get the guide new and as many books as I can from Amazon, especially when they are running a four-for-three promotion.

I love Amazon too! I make sure I (and my customers) can get all needed books from them.

So many people on these threads act like they have full control of the money and can choose to make curricula a priority.

I'm fortunate enough to be in that position, and I spend several thousand dollars a year on curriculum for my ds9, but I have to tell you that I would not be happy to have been cheated out of $140, as Carolyn appears to have been. Whether or not we can afford to lose the money has nothing to do with whether or not we should lose the money. I would keep fighting to try to get some satisfaction.

I think Sonlight is really pulling a fast one by not refunding Carolyn's money, or at least offering her a credit toward a future purchase.

Cat

I think the only time that applies is when a whole Core is purchased from them. You can try it out using 18 weeks worth of the Core, and if you don't like it, you ship the whole thing back (or keep what items you want and ship back the rest). This will delete your Core Club membership and they will refund your money. BUT the items for weeks, 18 plus must be in unused condition. You also have a whole year to try out the 18 weeks. Otherwise, their return policy is 6 months I believe and then items must be in unused condition.

Thanks for clearing that up, Anita -- I hadn't remembered the specifics.

It seems to me that, if they're willing to offer a refund for a whole core of used books, they should give Carolyn a break and refund all of her money, too.

Cat

Cat, One of the higher ups made the decision, that's why I had to wait several hours for them to call me back...

It's not just the money...I feel like I *don't mean anything* to them, almost like a dejected feeling, not even mad or upset anymore, just sooo disappointed.

I know exactly how you feel.

Perhaps it's time to call and ask to speak directly with John or Sarita Holzmann and let them know how you feel about the treatment you've received, and to tell them that you'll be letting your fellow homeschoolers know what happened to you.

At this point, it's almost less about the money and more about the principle of the whole thing. (But I still hope you get your money back, or a credit.)

Cat

I've ordered tons of things over the years. I've never had any issues with anything that arrived via UPS or Fedex. Everything has always been well packaged. (Things sent via regular mail is a totally different matter though). When I've had issues with things that needed to be sent back no one has ever given me a problem. When I've had to deal with people in customer service they have always been wonderful and I've gotten off the phone feeling like "Wow, this person was so nice, I'll happily do business with them again." I guess I just wanted to let anyone who provides customer service know that I appreciate it. Thanks!

I had the same problem with RR. I don't order from them anymore. I order from Amazon and CBD. They have always been very good to me when items are shipped damaged. Also, CBD shipped my books to the wrong address this year. Instead of telling me it was my fault (half mine, half theirs), they told me when the books were returned to them, they would ship them out FREE OF CHARGE! They have wonderful customer service and I NEVER receive books that are damaged.

I received a book with a damaged/dented cover from CBD, and they sent me a new one and told me the keep the original one. That's great customer service!

I've ordered tons of things over the years. I've never had any issues with anything that arrived via UPS or Fedex. Everything has always been well packaged. (Things sent via regular mail is a totally different matter though).

Just wanted to throw this question out, all. Do you prefer items shipped via UPS or FedEx, even if it costs you quite a bit more? We ship via Media Mail or Priority Mail. Just curious what your preferences are and why.

Thanks!

Just ordered all Abeka for 6th and 9th grade except TT math.

We are officially a textbook family! LOL

My 6th grader is very happy and I am relieved. I wanted to be a lit mom, but it's not in the plans..

Can I still post here????

So, my husband told me to use Abeka with my girls along with TT.

And just use their book list for supplimental reading.

Actually my 6th grader is begging to do Abeka, I just wanted to be a Literature mom..but it is not to be...*sigh*....

Even though I've never had a problem with SL regarding purchases (but then I've never tried to return anything), I do understand why you feel like you "don't mean anything" to them. Especially if you spend any time on the SL boards.;)

I second Cat's idea about contacting the Holzmanns directly whether by phone or e-mail. Though I probably wouldn't tell them that you are going to spread the word about what happened. That may put them on the defensive and it will be harder for them to hear what you are trying to say.

Explain the situation succinctly without placing blame, tell them how you have enjoyed being a customer (if that's true) and would like to continue being a good customer but that you feel like you "don't count".

A good businessperson will usually respond accordingly. If that doesn't happen, then it is probably time for you to move on.

Okay, I have to add that moving from that board to this board was like going from Siberia to the Bahamas. :D

Okay, I have to add that moving from that board to this board was like going from Siberia to the Bahamas

hee hee hee!!!!!!

Yeah, been there DONE that!

I'm done, I'm not going to fight them, whatever!!! I am just at peace with our decision to use Abeka...They lost all future business from me, and i'll never recommend them to anyone...FWIW.... I think SL is HIGHLY over-rated!

I wanted to add that one of the reasons I love TWTM so much is that it's a complete curriculum without all the drama. You can get your resources where you feel most comfortable getting them, and SWB doesn't hassle you. ;)

Tara

Yes, but I've always had very good service from Peace Hill Press! ;)

I'm done, I'm not going to fight them, whatever!!! I am just at peace with our decision to use Abeka...They lost all future business from me, and i'll never recommend them to anyone...FWIW.... I think SL is HIGHLY over-rated!

Seriously, if you paid with a credit card, call your credit card company. A credit card dispute is really very little work, and may result in you receiving a full refund. Often, the mere appearance of the credit card company prompts vendors to "find" a customer friendly response. :glare:

Yes, but I've always had very good service from Peace Hill Press! ;)

Seriously, if you paid with a credit card, call your credit card company. A credit card dispute is really very little work, and may result in you receiving a full refund. Often, the mere appearance of the credit card company prompts vendors to "find" a customer friendly response. :glare:

okay, perhaps I will...can't hurt(?)

okay, perhaps I will...can't hurt(?)

It is super easy. Really.

Call and tell the representative that you'd like to dispute a charge on your account. Explain the circumstances. Typically they'll grant you a provisional credit to your account while they investigate. They may or may not ask you to send in supporting documentation.

I second disputing the charge. I've initiated a chargeback once with a company who refused to work with me. They maintained their stance, I told the CC company my side and I won. Oh, and my "CC company" was a debit card through Bank of America. So even if you paid by Debit/Check card, you might still be covered since most of them offer the same coverage now as regular credit cards.

If everything returned in Sonlight after a "trial run" must be in pristine condition, . . . How under the sun does one test the program at all ?!?!?!?! :001_huh:

When you purchase a core, everything scheduled up til 18 weeks can be used however you like, dog-eared, cracked spine, etc. and still be returned. However, I believe the OP didn't buy a core, thus being covered under the 6 month return policy, which states that items must be returned in unused, resalable condition (not marked in or on, binding unbroken, etc). I guess the discrepancy in her situation is who damaged the books- her word against theirs. In this case, I believe exceptional customer service would have gone on her word, and returned the money.

eta: as far as disputing the charge, it certainly wouldn't hurt to try. however, this situation is covered and written plainly in the policies and procedures in the back of the catalog. again, her word against theirs as to who damaged the books. that may throw a wrench in the cc dispute.

Edited by jentancalann

Just ordered all Abeka for 6th and 9th grade except TT math.

We are officially a textbook family! LOL

My 6th grader is very happy and I am relieved. I wanted to be a lit mom, but it's not in the plans..

Can I still post here????

Can you still post here?!? What, are you crazy? Of course you can. We are not curriculum dictators. Well, not most of us. :lol: I'm joking. I'd love to dictate to everyone what they should or should not use, but I'm not the parent of every child, nor am I God. And somehow I think SWB would say the same thing.

Many of us will want to know about your experience with Abeka - the whole curriculum, or portions of it, so we definitely need you around here.

I recommend this too. If you paid by cc, you should have some recourse for bad businesses---you just have to raise holy hell and be persistent. I am shocked that SL is being so hard headed about your returns! I personally do consider $200 a lot of money to be cheated out of. BTW---we downsized our entire life this last year after 4 years of living hell and so it has made it easier for me to buy certain things left and right----but I still consider $140 a lot to be denied over books you never used :glare: I think you ought to rally everybody from both boards you posted this thread on about SL's bad customer service to mass email SL about this poor customer service---they should really know just how bad their reputation is :boxing_smiley: and hopefully change this horrible sounding policy.....

I recommend this too. If you paid by cc, you should have some recourse for bad businesses---you just have to raise holy hell and be persistent. I am shocked that SL is being so hard headed about your returns! I personally do consider $200 a lot of money to be cheated out of. BTW---we downsized our entire life this last year after 4 years of living hell and so it has made it easier for me to buy certain things left and right----but I still consider $140 a lot to be denied over books you never used :glare: I think you ought to rally everybody from both boards you posted this thread on about SL's bad customer service to mass email SL about this poor customer service---they should really know just how bad their reputation is :boxing_smiley: and hopefully change this horrible sounding policy.....

Thanks for your support 4wildberries...it means a lot!

I am going to contact my credit card company today and see what can be done...;)

Just wanted to throw this question out, all. Do you prefer items shipped via UPS or FedEx, even if it costs you quite a bit more? We ship via Media Mail or Priority Mail. Just curious what your preferences are and why.

Thanks!

I hate media mail. With rare exceptions, the packages always arrive looking as if they were run over by a garbage truck.

When I live in their areas, UPS is pretty good. FedEx is uneven, IME. DHL is the absolute worst.

Honestly, my favorite is USPS non-media. Lots of options (insurance or not, certified, priority, overnight, etc.) and no drama (did I miss the truck? where is the stupid drop point so I can pick it up? etc.).

a

I am going to contact my credit card company today and see what can be done...;)

Good for you! There's no good reason you should have to eat the $140. Let us know how it turns out. :001_smile:

Eventually I will try to sell them, but you know how that goes...can't rely on selling it all...and I have to hold on to them while trying to get the post office to evaluate my claim...who knows how that will go!

Carolyn,

I have always had great customer service, but I post a lot on the forums. In other words being somewhat "known" may help. :D

Really my impression over the years is that SL barely scrapes by. I mean John posted that they sell the IG's at a loss and make up the difference in the books. I used to work for a publishing company and books are sold at a percentage off of retail, so Amazon, B&N, Boarders and the author got 50% off, and lower volume places got 40-30% off. Even if you assume SL is getting 50% off that isn't a lot of profit with all their overhead (utilities, salaries, rent, ect...). It doesn't excuse what is going on, but it might explain why it is happening.

I hope you get your money back.

Heather

Carolyn,

I have always had great customer service, but I post a lot on the forums. In other words being somewhat "known" may help. :D

Really my impression over the years is that SL barely scrapes by. I mean John posted that they sell the IG's at a loss and make up the difference in the books. I used to work for a publishing company and books are sold at a percentage off of retail, so Amazon, B&N, Boarders and the author got 50% off, and lower volume places got 40-30% off. Even if you assume SL is getting 50% off that isn't a lot of profit with all their overhead (utilities, salaries, rent, ect...). It doesn't excuse what is going on, but it might explain why it is happening.

I hope you get your money back.

Heather

WHAT?????????? I have to be "known" over there to get resolution?

I take that as a slap in the face. I have over 900 posts over there, I have *tried* to get involved with threads and be friendly...I cannot believe this statement!

How does one become "known"

And if that is how SL does business, only with posters who are "known" to have over 10,000 posts well &^&%))^ them! sheesh!

*edited* I misunderstood Heather...sorry for getting bent out of shape..

Edited by Love2Smile

WHAT?????????? I have to be "known" over there to get resolution?

I take that as a slap in the face. I have over 900 posts over there, I have *tried* to get involved with threads and be friendly...I cannot believe this statement!

How does one become "known"

And if that is how SL does business, only with posters who are "known" to have over 10,000 posts well &^&%))^ them! sheesh!

No I wasn't saying you have to be known, but I suspect that if you do post around the forums and you post that you are having a problem with getting a refund you will get more attention. I am not speaking for SL in anyway, just posting what I suspect is true-human nature thing. Squeaky wheel gets the grease because it might put other people off, KWIM?

I only ever had one problem, a missing Singapore math book. I posted a "got my box" post and mentioned that the math book was missing. The moderators were quick to tell me to contact customer service, which I already had done. They had a replacement on the way within 24 hours. I really have no clue if it would have taken longer if I hadn't of posted, or if they might have doubted me. I just know I see people who do post about customer service problems and they always seem to be taken care of.

Heather

but I suspect that if you do post around the forums and you post that you are having a problem with getting a refund you will get more attention.

I have been doing this...go to the Dear SL forum..

So far I have been ignored

but I suspect that if you do post around the forums and you post that you are having a problem with getting a refund you will get more attention.

I have been doing this...go to the Dear SL forum..

So far I have been ignored

Well the least I can do is go bump the thread back up, hopefully more people will take notice of it and so will SL.

Heather

As I've told you privately, Carolyn, I'm sorry about this situation and I sincerely hope SL will rectify it to your satisfaction. I'm sorry, though, that some have used this thread as opportunity to trash a company and their materials. To that end, as a long-time (9 year) customer, I'm compelled to come to Sonlight's defense. Time and again I'm impressed with their stellar customer service and their heartfelt desire to do the right thing. Has SL frustrated me on occasion? Yes. And each and every time, I took my frustrations to them and rediscovered their willingness to listen and work with me. I'm not claiming they never make mistakes, nor am I claiming others haven't had different experiences with SL. All of our experiences are of course anecdotal.

As I've told you privately, Carolyn, I'm sorry about this situation and I sincerely hope SL will rectify it to your satisfaction. I'm sorry, though, that some have used this thread as opportunity to trash a company and their materials. To that end, as a long-time (9 year) customer, I'm compelled to come to Sonlight's defense. Time and again I'm impressed with their stellar customer service and their heartfelt desire to do the right thing. Has SL frustrated me on occasion? Yes. And each and every time, I took my frustrations to them and rediscovered their willingness to listen and work with me. I'm not claiming they never make mistakes, nor am I claiming others haven't had different experiences with SL. All of our experiences are of course anecdotal.

Colleen,

I have had nothing but good experiences with SL too, up till now. I have been a customer for three years. Be that as it may, they are not willing at all to help me out. They were/are willing to lose a customer over $140 though.

The CS reps I have talked to basically told me "that's how it is" Does that sound like they are willing? No. I have had no "heartfelt" feelings directed towards me.

Also, I have not read about anyone trashing SL. We are expressing our disappointments with SL that is all. SL charged full price for books etc...I or anyone else can get them from CBD, Rainbow, Amazon etc..for less, but I always chose to support SL. You would expect better customer service for the prices they charge and to loyal customers.

To that end, as a long-time (9 year) customer, I'm compelled to come to Sonlight's defense. Time and again I'm impressed with their stellar customer service and their heartfelt desire to do the right thing. Has SL frustrated me on occasion? Yes. And each and every time, I took my frustrations to them and rediscovered their willingness to listen and work with me.

Thanks for posting about your experiences, Colleen -- I hope Carolyn is able to get her problem resolved, just as you did.

My own personal experiences with Sonlight have all been positive, but I have never tried to return anything I purchased, so I can't speak about that end of their business. It sounds like the people Carolyn spoke with on the phone were less than helpful, and I hope she is able to speak with someone at the top of the Sonlight food chain, and that they will help her get her refund or credit.

Cat