Menu

What do you use to hold colored pencils?

kalanamak

I'm looking for something tabletop, and easy for a littler kiddo to survey visually and pick out that perfect color. I'm imagining something rectangular with 8 or so larger-that-paper-towel-tubes cylinders sticking up about4 inches, so I can sort by color, but I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks

In our Sunday school we use clean baby food jars with colored construction paper cut in a strip and lining the inside. That way they know which color goes where. You could probably find a shallow box or tray to put them in.

We use a clear, heavy plastic bag left over from a curtain panel. I love the jar idea, but around here, that's asking for trouble. Plus, the colored pencils are the medium of choice, so they travel with us everywhere. I love being able to zip up the bag and put it away when we're done.

Edited by melissel

I just have a plastic container, like rubbermaid or whatever, that has a closing lid. They then lay flat. I dislike upright containers for colored pencils, as they can break if they are put in point first. Also, you can put a few other supplies in there with them, like a sharpener and kneaded erasers. Not good for organizing though, but... who cares? It's for your kids! They can use it then shove it under the bed. ;)

Korin

(whose husband is a professional illustrator and spends a fortune on super crazy high quality colored pencils. He keeps his in either the prismacolor box or an old 8 x 10 photo paper box.)

I think what you are looking for *could* be called a taboret.... my husband has a small one on his drawing table... but while searching for an example, a different sort of art storage thing came up... big and expensive.

Anyway, why not just get a shoe box, have your kiddo decorate it and fill it with paper towel tubes of varying height (cut them with scissors) even some toilet paper tubes... Jam them all in (maybe after painting them?)and glue them in bottom... voila! a crazy homemade colored pencil holder!

great, now I have to go make one....

korin again

We have one of these:

http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A/id.915/.f?sc=17&category=20893

They're for fat Lyra pencils. We love the pencils and the holder.

We also have a rectangular one like this:

http://www.mercurius-usa.com/product_info-32_221-2666-wooden_holder_to_fit_24_regular_pencils.html

We think that last photo is pathetic. Two pencils? Really.

In our Sunday school we use clean baby food jars with colored construction paper cut in a strip and lining the inside. That way they know which color goes where. You could probably find a shallow box or tray to put them in.

Aha! Perhaps I could glue the bottoms to the base of a chocolate box.

I think what you are looking for *could* be called a taboret.... my husband has a small one on his drawing table... but while searching for an example, a different sort of art storage thing came up... big and expensive.

Anyway, why not just get a shoe box, have your kiddo decorate it and fill it with paper towel tubes of varying height (cut them with scissors) even some toilet paper tubes... Jam them all in (maybe after painting them?)and glue them in bottom... voila! a crazy homemade colored pencil holder!

great, now I have to go make one....

korin again

Great idea

I also love the flatware caddy.

Sometimes the guys at the appliance repair shop will have dishwasher caddies to give you.

But those usually have holes in the bottoms that pencils will slip through. The kinds designed to be carried to the table have solid bottoms that work better for pencils/pens/etc.

But those usually have holes in the bottoms that pencils will slip through. The kinds designed to be carried to the table have solid bottoms that work better for pencils/pens/etc.

You could put cardboard in the bottom. I think I may have one of these in the basement somewhere.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I knew I'd reached an impasse, mentally, and, as always, many bubbly minds here have already been down this path.

I found a coffee mug display piece you hang on the wall at a garage sale. It was wooden with an xxxx type design. My husband nailed a piece of wood to the bottom so the pencils wouldn't fall through - it's great for organizing different colors in the different compartments and sits in the middle of our homeschool table.

I just use cans from canned food - a variety of sizes are available, cheaply and readily. They are sturdy enough to sit independently even with a kid rooting around, but are lightweight enough that even a small child can carry them. (We keep all art supplies on a shelf, and the kids retrieve their supplies on an as-needed basis. My toddler was always able to get her own cans of colored pencils to take to the art table.)

For my younger we have a few "generic pencil" containers with a bunch of everything thrown in, and for my OCD-ish elder we also have smaller tomato paste-sized tins that separate his 'better' quality colors by color family. The small tins fit nicely into a cardboard shoebox, and are stored this way together on the art shelf (for easy transport to the art table).

You can decorate the cans/tins; or strip the labels and let the silver show through; or leave the labels intact for a Warholesque look :)

We have one of these:

http://www.novanatural.com/s.nl/it.A/id.915/.f?sc=17&category=20893

They're for fat Lyra pencils. We love the pencils and the holder.

I remember seeing that at your house, Nicole! And we're big Lyra fans here too.

We use a really old diaper wipe box. Remember the kind that stacked and looked like giant Legos? Those. The crayons live in one too.

I do remember those. We still have some around holding various art supplies.

In that case, I would look for a flatware caddy... Like these... I've seen other simple ones at Ikea and elsewhere...

41ZOXmnP64L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I have to admit that this is a very attractive option! I may have to pick one of these up if I run across one. My teen uses a ceramic pot to hold her collection of pencils, but it's getting a little crowded. This caddy would be great too for pencils of all sizes.

Regards,

Kareni