Menu

Tell Me About Border Collies

Princess is an animal lover. She's constantly molesting the neighbour's dog. Thankfully, both the dog and neighbour are tolerant, and they both even like her, lol! The dog is one of those fuzzy lil critters that needs grooming, and I caught Princess moving its bangs, saying, "Eye! Eye!" Anyways, Wolf has seen her repeatedly react to dogs like they're an irresistable magnetic force, and Tazzie's the same way. I made the mistake of joking last night...said, "See, Honey...the kids NEED a dog."

I was JOKING, people.

He said, "Yeah, I know. I think a border collie would be a good idea."

Oh poop fire and save matches.

I don't particularly want another dog at this point. Couldn't give you a reason why, considering I've always loved and adored dogs. Just don't want one at the moment.

I also promised Wolf that the next dog would be totally HIS decision. Timing, breed, the works. Totally up to him, utterly and completely.

Double poop fire and frozen turds on a stick. With sprinkles.

So, would someone please tell me about Border Collies? Anyone have any experience with them at all? I know nothing.

They are a herding breed and extremely high energy dogs. I would give it serious thought. Oh, and they're wicked smart.

Will it be an indoor or outdoor dog? Since this is a working breed, without LOTS of exercise they can be destructive. They need something to fill their days--all of their days.

Herd dogs are operating from the same instinct wolves use to circle (as a pack) and take down prey. This can lead to problems (chasing livestock or other pets, nipping at heels etc) if you don't know how to deal with it. Get a breed specific training book and know what you're getting into. My dh would love to get one also but thankfully we already have a Siberian Husky and she sheds enough for several dogs, so I get out of it for a while.

Great for a farm dog or agility competition but not for a family especially when the primary caregiver doesn't really want a dog .

Seriously they are intelligent but need a JOB or they will destroy your house.

I agree. Border Collies aren't for families who don't want to spend a LOT of time training and working with them. Way too many of this breed end up at the shelter because their needs are terribly underestimated.

How about a Golden Retriever?

I love Border Collies! We had two when I was born. I remember how much fun we all had herding gramma's chickens when I was about 3, lol. Until my mother found us. :glare:

Which leads me to this - please, please research first. Last I heard from a rescue gal, a friend of a friend, at least 20% of Border Collies end up in w/rescue groups. They aren't for everyone. They would not be a breed that I would pick w/little kids or apartment living. It might be different for others but I think it worked for my family w/small kids 'cause these were working dogs and we lived on 100 acres in the middle of absolutely nowhere. I still got nipped occasionally, lol.

Georgia (former rescue person, mom of a F1 mutt, secretly craving a Visla, lol)

I wouldn't get a border collie. We almost did until I read this article put out by the Border collie rescue. http://www.bcrescue.org/bcwarning.html

If you want a big dog I'd look at Golden retriever. Ours was excellent with kids but they shed a lot and drool.

Our next dog will be a Bichon Frise They meet all my criteria. I would suggest you write down everything you want in a dog. Here is my list to give you some ideas.

I want a small dog, but not so small it can be hurt by my rough and tumble boys.

I want a dog that is hypoallergenic and doesn't shed a lot.

I want a dog that doesn't bark a lot.

I want a dog that is fine with just a short walk.

I want a dog that isn't nervous and would be very good with children.

It must not have the lock jaw issue like pit bulls, german shepherds and doberman's have where once they bite down they aren't letting go. That makes them more dangerous around kids.

So that is my criteria and you can write yours out. There are places on the internet that have questions you answer and then it gives you the dogs that fit your criteria. A border collie will be really high maintenance.HTH

I agree. Border Collies are for serious dog enthusiasts. They are NOT ordinary family pets. Even I couldn't do a Border Collie justice and I am a long time, many time dog owner and amature trainer. Get a lab or a golden retreiver, a standard poodle or a boxer. Even a rescued off the track greyhound makes a great family pet. ( my sister owned two, they are couch potatoes.)

I *think* that he's going with the 'we'll be on an acreage when we get a dog' mentality, and hence the border collie. And likely it'll be a border collie with something else thrown in for good measure.

Me, I'm happy with a french bulldog. Nice size, laid back, couch potato. My kinda dog.

Wolf's not impressed with the $1,000 price tag on my kinda dog, however :lol:

Me, I'm happy with a french bulldog. Nice size, laid back, couch potato. My kinda dog.

Wolf's not impressed with the $1,000 price tag on my kinda dog, however :lol:

:iagree:--with you about the Frenchies and with your dh about the price tag.

We rescued a Frenchie last year from the French Bulldog Rescue Network. He's our first Frenchie, and he might not be our last. What a sweetie!

Unfortunately, one thing dh and I are in agreement on is no rescues. Period. Not while our children are young. We tried that last year with a yellow lab who ended up nearly taking Princess' face off. I was sitting on the floor with her in my lap, petting him, she pet him, and he snapped. I pulled back the minute his lip curled, so she only had a scrape on her forehead from his tooth, but...no more rescues with young children in the house. Pups from their Mamas only from now on, at least until Princess is five or six, if not even older.

Plus, around here, rescue fees are wow expensive. Couple of hundred dollars, easily...in the next big city south of us, small breed puppies at the spca are $499 I believe :001_huh:

We thought about getting a border collie, until my dh went out to the seller's house to take a look. The whole time he was standing outside talking to the owner, the dog was bouncing like Tigger so that he could see over the fence. This went on for quite awhile, while the guy explained how high energy the dog was, and how we could expect him to herd the children around, etc. We decided it wasn't a good fit.

I *think* that he's going with the 'we'll be on an acreage when we get a dog' mentality, and hence the border collie. And likely it'll be a border collie with something else thrown in for good measure.

I don't even think acreage will save you in this case. Border Collies tend to wander when they are bored. If they happen upon livestock...well, they aren't bored any more. :tongue_smilie:

We've owned a couple of BCs. I'm a former dog trainer/show person and I couldn't convince our BC to stay in our one acre back yard for more than ten minutes without us there. Our last one was the worst. She was off--under or through the fence--and gone. She would always come back, but exploring was like an addiction. Her wandering seriously ticked me off. I don't like other people's dogs roaming loose. That dog now lives down the street in the home of a retired couple. She never gets to go for walks and I've never seen them throw a ball for her. Sad, kinda, because I figure she misses our active family now.

So, long story short, be aware that they don't stay put without direct supervision. Loud noises like fireworks (a fact of life where we live) distant car noises, and the guns of hunters (also a fact of life for us) sent our dog into a crazy frenzy. She would RUN. Panic. It wasn't pretty.

Most people I know with BCs keep them inside all the time. They are crated (often for hours!) when the owners aren't there.

Smartest dogs I've ever owned, but they wore me plum out.

Unfortunately, one thing dh and I are in agreement on is no rescues. Period. Not while our children are young. We tried that last year with a yellow lab who ended up nearly taking Princess' face off. :001_huh:

Did you go through an animal shelter or SPCA? They are more concerned with getting a dog adopted by anybody vs. making a perfect match.

No-kill shelters that have a clause that all animals must be returned to them and only them will work with you to find the perfect match for your family. Dogs from such shelters are fostered in someone's home and you will get a very indepth report on their personality. We adopt and foster dogs through such a shelter and matching families to dogs is number one priority.

Personally I prefer a slightly older rescue dog in the 1-2 year old range from a no-kill shelter over a puppy just weaned especially with little ones in the family. Puppies are cute but they are a lot of work. I can't even imagine dealing with a pup in the chewing stage with a toddler running around.:blink:

You MUST train them, as they're very intelligent and will get into trouble otherwise. My dad got one for his farm with romantic notions of training it himself rather than paying more for someone else to do it, but it ripped everything to shreds, terrorized the sheep and cattle, and actually killed a couple of our sheep.

It was from an SPCA type of organization, but not an spca name if that makes sense.

I've always preferred to go to a breeder, myself. It was dh's insistence that we tried the rescue, since that's how he'd always gotten his dogs before we met.

We'll see what happens. I'm not at all keen on border collies from what I've read here.

Did you go through an animal shelter or SPCA? They are more concerned with getting a dog adopted by anybody vs. making a perfect match.

No-kill shelters that have a clause that all animals must be returned to them and only them will work with you to find the perfect match for your family. Dogs from such shelters are fostered in someone's home and you will get a very indepth report on their personality. We adopt and foster dogs through such a shelter and matching families to dogs is number one priority.

Personally I prefer a slightly older rescue dog in the 1-2 year old range from a no-kill shelter over a puppy just weaned especially with little ones in the family. Puppies are cute but they are a lot of work. I can't even imagine dealing with a pup in the chewing stage with a toddler running around.:blink:

:iagree:I couldn't agree with this quote more.

After our 15yo Golden Ret. died, we waited about 18 months and I knew I was ready for another dog, but it had to be a rescue. I couldn't stomach supporting some puppy mill when there are SO MANY great dogs at shelters.

We looked online at petfinder.com for matches in our area and decided on 2 or 3 we wanted to meet at the shelter. We had already read some really good books, Cesar Milan's Dog Whisperer book which is part biography and part animal behavior theory, and also an excellent book by Sue Sternberg called Successful Dog Adoption. We felt like we knew just what to look for and do when chosing a dog.

Our adoptee is actually part Border Collie! She's black/tan, and she's taller than most, so we don't really know what the other part is. She is the sweetest, most gentle, well-behaved dog I've ever owned. A loving and sweet spirit is what we saw and got. She was also 2 years old, so past all the puppy training. She came with well documented behavior analysis, we knew she was potty trained and good with kids. The whole thing. It was/is a great experience.

I would encourage you to consider a rescue again, maybe from a group that can analyze the dog's behavior better. There are SO many wonderful dogs that need good homes!

I loved my border collie PASSIONATELY, but would COMPLETELY agree that they are rather high-maintenance if you don't happen to have full time employment for them.

Like some grown men, if they don't have work - they'll MAKE work. Which may or may not coincide with your plans for his occupation.

My Raleigh was NEVER tired, WICKED smart, EXTREMELY loyal, and . . . would never have worked while we have kids and home school going on.

It's more than a land space issues - it's an "I was meant to be herding sheep" issue.

Unless we end up dogless for another 3 years at a minimum, we're unwilling to consider a rescue. That's simply a firm decision on our part at this point in time. It was too close a call, and one we'll never risk again. I appreciate and recognize the valuable job that rescue groups do, but simply can't risk our children's safety again.

I never have supported puppy mills or back yard breeders. Only good reputable breeders have ever received my business. And yes, I do know how to tell one from another ;)

I used to have ten, and still have two. Sorry, but to me it sounds like the last breed you need to consider, along with Australian Shepards and Australian Cattle Dogs. (heelers).

My two want to herd everything. Everything. They obsess over moving wheels and chase cars and ATVs if not restrained. One of them goes so insane when the four wheeler starts up that he starts nipping at it, and has grabbed (bitten) four of us in his insane quest to grab the tire. The only thing that diverts him from attacking the wheels is a bb gun.

They have the run of the place and sometimes help me bring in the horses. The two we have now aren't much help with the cattle, although one we used to have was fantastic.

Don't get one.

I didn't read through all of the post, but we have two boarder collies, male and female. We live out in the woods with lots of land. We got the male first and he's great, but chases the neighbors' cars. Then we got the female and the two of them took off running together. Running is not such a bad thing, but ranchers will shoot 'em on sight if the dogs start harassing their livestock. Now one of them is tied up while the other is free.

These are smart dogs. I love to have 'em with the kids because I can tell the dog to find or stay with a child and it will. This breed is also ball or stick dogs in a huge way to the point of annoyance. They do need a lot of attention. Our dogs are not well trained, but the female that came from a working ranch has amazing instincts, the male is just beautiful and happy. A thing to think about with the kids or at least in our rural location is the dog displays very protective instinct towards the kids, and I am quite sure the male would bite if one of the kids were perceived to be in danger. Our female is my youngest child's constant companion. DD gets herded, the cats get herded, and soon the chickens will get herded. We don't have livestock for them to herd, but we are here and they like being a part of everything, and so long as they don't get out and get going as a team and take off, they're wonderful.

Good luck,

I just had to put down my 15-year old Border Collie, Laci, in January. :crying: She was not like the BC that are described here...she was pretty mellow and mostly always was. No herding instinct. She was more of a bird dog--catching pigeons was her thing. As a pup, she chewed and dug holes, but that's pretty normal for any pup. We live in the city, in a house, but she was an indoor dog.

She was VERY intelligent and the most instinctively good dog I've ever seen. Believe it or not, I never had to potty train her, not even crate train. She just would never go in the house. She could be fickle...I had my children after having her for several years, and she tolerated them but never interacted with them much. She never, ever snapped at them, but that probably wasn't as breed specific as personality specific. I tell ya, she just knew things. I could tell ya stories about her mischievious ways (read:smarter the average dog things she would do).

I've been looking over the BC shelters and petfinder because I really want another BC, but she needs to be the right fit like Laci was. A BC like the ones describe on this thread would not work for me at all, and Laci was obviously just the exception to the breed. I miss her so much. Thanks for posting about your lab from the shelter. I'll be very careful about getting one from the shelter because of this and it cautions me not to expect every other BC to be like Laci was.

We thought about getting a border collie, until my dh went out to the seller's house to take a look. The whole time he was standing outside talking to the owner, the dog was bouncing like Tigger so that he could see over the fence. This went on for quite awhile, while the guy explained how high energy the dog was, and how we could expect him to herd the children around, etc. We decided it wasn't a good fit.

our neighbor, like me, rescues EVERYTHING. She rescued a border collie and was SO excited. The poor dog is SO high strung that it runs in circles chasing the shadow of the ceiling fan. Their house is brand new and there's a circle of wear from the dog. The want to put it on anxiety meds.

I think these are the COOLEST dogs and want one some day, but they really need to be used for what they were bred for.

Well, I will be an oddball.

We rescued a Border Collie when we lived in No. California. They were loaded with them at the shelters.

He is nutty, just like us. Yes, he needs lots of exercise. But, we have lived in the city and the country with him. We always find ways to exercise him.

In the city, we had a postage stamp yard. He got frisbee at the local park or he would take my husband for skateboard rides. The fun thing was all the neighbors always fall in love with him. So, we can usually find other kids to play with him, too.

I know we may be just plain lucky. But, I wouldn't go any other way. Yes, he is smart. Yes, it did some damage when we first got him. But, he always learns the first time and I honestly don't have the patience to teach a stupid dog.

And, there is nothing better than that BC stare down.

DSC07105.JPG

Unfortunately, one thing dh and I are in agreement on is no rescues. Period. Not while our children are young. We tried that last year with a yellow lab who ended up nearly taking Princess' face off. I was sitting on the floor with her in my lap, petting him, she pet him, and he snapped. I pulled back the minute his lip curled, so she only had a scrape on her forehead from his tooth, but...no more rescues with young children in the house. Pups from their Mamas only from now on, at least until Princess is five or six, if not even older.

Plus, around here, rescue fees are wow expensive. Couple of hundred dollars, easily...in the next big city south of us, small breed puppies at the spca are $499 I believe :001_huh:

I understand.

However, the dogs from the French Bulldog Rescue Network are carefully evaluated, and the descriptions for each one are detailed, including recommendations for whether they may be placed in homes with/without children, with/without other pets, health or behavior issues, etc., and the adoption process is very involved.

Anyway, it was just a thought. :-) Our Frenchie was only $250, because he's older. He was used for breeding until he was about 5yo, then his owner put him out in the back yard on a chain for the next 5 years.:glare:

We have a border collie. He loves to play soccer. He hates to ride in the car, luckily he doesn't go to the vet every day. He is a bit jealous of the outdoor cat, if I pet the cat he will get between me and the cat. He seems to be good with the kids. he is not hyper or anything like that. The only problem is that ocassionaly he will chase cars, luckily not many cars go past. He has plenty of space to roam, but usually he just naps under the car. We have an outside cat and they seem to get along great together. he is not rough when playing with the cat, and they sleep together sometimes. He is shy around other dogs, so he would not have made a good breeding dog. That was never in our minds to do and we had him fixed. He just comes up to me and sits waiting for me to pet him. He will bring you the soccer ball, expecting you to kick it so he can bring it back.

Unless we end up dogless for another 3 years at a minimum, we're unwilling to consider a rescue. That's simply a firm decision on our part at this point in time. It was too close a call, and one we'll never risk again. I appreciate and recognize the valuable job that rescue groups do, but simply can't risk our children's safety again.

I never have supported puppy mills or back yard breeders. Only good reputable breeders have ever received my business. And yes, I do know how to tell one from another ;)

Contacting French Bulldog breeders and seeing if they have any slightly older dogs they want to place. Generally someone into showing dogs will have a dog or two that they have grown out for show but has not turned out for the show ring. Usually these dogs are well socialized and housebroken(note I say usually ask questions to be sure) They also have all their shots etc. Also explain that you have a certain budget for a dog and let them know how wonderful of a dog owner you will be. You may be able to find what you want this way. I showed and breed Shetland sheepdogs for years and several times people I have come to me looking for an older housetrained and well socialized dog. After asking some questions etc I would usually place a dog with them for half the amount I charged for puppies. Older dogs are often harder to place because people want puppies. I tend to keep in contact with my buyers and I can't tell you how many times I have heard from people who got an older dog (by older I mean between 8 months and 3 years) and told me how nice is was not to have to house train them and how happy them were about getting the "older" dog. With the bad ecomony I know people how show dogs are cutting back on their kennel sizes etc.

Note - I am currently getting back into showing with a sweet Pembroke Welsh Corgi that has captured my heart :001_smile:

Best Wishes on a successful dog search~~Karen

We had a border collie when i was a kid. He used to chase and bark at cars in our street when he was in the front yard. He was aggressive towards other male dogs despite being socialised with plenty of other dogs his whole life, and having been desexed. He used to chase and eat the washing from the rotary clothes line. If the breeze moved it, it was toast. Personally it is not a dog that i would want for my family unless i lived on a farm.

Thank you to every one that responded :001_smile:

I passed along all the info to my dh, and he agreed with me that a Border Collie is unsuitable for our family. After all the info here, there's just no way that we could keep a dog busy enough to be happy, and its very important to us that any dog we get is happy. Its not just about us, but the animal as well. We want to be happy with our future family member, but also want to ensure that our home is the best fit for the new pet as well.

Unless we move to an acreage and get to the point where Wolf is working on the acreage rather than off, so the dog would be working with him all day, it sounds as though a Border Collie simply wouldn't be busy enough to be happy.

Thank you for all the info!