Menu

House, MD. Okay, I must live under a rock

I just discovered House this week. We got rid of TV a couple months ago and I just discovered this show by accident at a friend's house (was that a pun?).

Can someone fill me in?? Is there a place online I can look at past episodes to get a bit caught up??

I just discovered House this week. We got rid of TV a couple months ago and I just discovered this show by accident at a friend's house (was that a pun?).

Can someone fill me in?? Is there a place online I can look at past episodes to get a bit caught up??

:lol::lol:

I found it recently as well. Try www.hulu.com but you'll only get recent episodes. There are some tv channels that play old ones over and over or you could rent a few seasons.

He's crass & chauvinistic, but I love the show somehow.

:lol::lol::lol: Oh, that's hilarious. I was sick this winter and while watching I kept comparing symptoms. At least we know it's not lupus.

Of course it's not lupus. :D

Definitely one of my all-time favorite shows. HATED the season finale. Well, no, I loved it. But I HATED it! :tongue_smilie:

I got hooked on House after someone mentioned it toward the end of last season and I saw the finale. Now that I've seen a bunch of episodes, I still like it, but.... Does anyone else think that it's odd that he's supposed to be so brilliant, but, really, almost every diagnosis is the result of trial and error.... And some of the errors lead to even worse situations....

It must be x.

We don't have time to test for x, but if we don't treat immediately he'll die.

Just treat him for it.

Oops. It's not x. Must be y.

Don't have time to test for y.

Just treat him for it.

Oops. That's not it either. Yeah, we cut off her arm, but we thought we had to. Or..yeah, we drilled a hole in his brain, but at least we know it's not y now.

Stumped.

Aha! House (finally) figures it out.

Just seems funny to me. I do, however, find the relationships/interactions between the characters interesting. Really liked the finales this year & last. Interesting twists!

Does anyone else think that it's odd that he's supposed to be so brilliant, but, really, almost every diagnosis is the result of trial and error.... And some of the errors lead to even worse situations....

It must be x.

We don't have time to test for x, but if we don't treat immediately he'll die.

Just treat him for it.

Oops. It's not x. Must be y.

Don't have time to test for y.

Just treat him for it.

Oops. That's not it either. Yeah, we cut off her arm, but we thought we had to. Or..yeah, we drilled a hole in his brain, but at least we know it's not y now.

Stumped.

Aha! House (finally) figures it out.

The thing is, medicine is not an exact science. Many illnesses are not easily diagnosed. There are so many possible things to test for, not enough time & money to test for them all, and some tests are health risks in themselves. Sometimes House decides on a treatment knowing that, if it doesn't work (or has a bad side effect that it wouldn't have if the diagnosis is correct), it will show them what the illness is not.

The thing is, medicine is not an exact science. Many illnesses are not easily diagnosed.

Sometimes House decides on a treatment knowing that, if it doesn't work (or has a bad side effect that it wouldn't have if the diagnosis is correct), it will show them what the illness is not.

Yeah, I know. I just think it's funny. I guess he has impulsive brilliance? Or just arrogance. Thinks that he's so brilliant that he doesn't have to wait for tests to support his ideas. That's started rubbing me the wrong way. But not enough to stop watching. :)

My theory on House is that it's not so much about treating the 'mysterious-illness patient' as it is a creation of real-life doctors who finally found an outlet for what they REALLY wanted to say to some of their patients (or other people they know...just like we all want to at times)! :D

I enjoy House, but I can't watch it anymore.

I have all the diseases. :glare:

You too? I have all of 'em. As soon as I hear about them.

My husband (an ER doc) -- we call him Dr. House. The only diff is that he's not hooked on pain meds. His personality is about the same, LOL - most people are afraid of him, and we get zero sympathy if we are ill. His remedy for any of us who dare to mention to him our illness - take two or three Advil. :glare:

Be sure they rule out sarcoidosis...that's the other disease they always suspect for about 2 minutes before it, too, is ruled out. ;)

I had never heard of sarcoidosis before- and then my bother was diagnosed with it ( he was in his early 20's at the time)...it was like an episode of House- trying to rule out lymphoma etc.

Now, we hear the word often on House.

I totally love this series, and have all the episodes on disc ( thanks to DH)...I just need to know- is is wrong to WANT to be ill, so Dr. Gregory House can look me over? :D:D