Menu

Another weird medical thing....

Amber in SJ

My 19yo dd has been really struggling with her health for the past year.  She was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos last Fall and it has been one weird thing after another since then.  (What do you mean her rib dislocated in her sleep & partially collapsed her lung?)

Yesterday she complained of a sore throat.  Usually we ignore sore throats, but she is starting a new job on Wednesday so I told her to call the advice nurse so if she needs to be on something she is on it for long enough to make a difference by her first day at work.  To the Dr she went this morning.  The diagnosis was tonsil stones.  I didn't even know your tonsils would make stones, I thought that was strictly the purview of kidneys or the gallbladder.

Tonsil stones?  It isn't serious, just painful.  There is nothing to be done, really so I am just griping.

Amber in SJ

Edited because  advice vs advise

Edited by Amber in SJ

Ugh, dislocated ribs are awful, and having it partially collapse your lung is so much worse! Both are things that occur with connective tissue disorders though. They are odd diseases!

Tonsil stones can work themselves out. The only real issue with them is discomfort and potentially really bad breath. But they are super annoying according to the people I know who get them.

Because of the EDS my daughter has some extra wiggly ribs.  She complains sometimes that it feels like they are pinching her from the inside.  She asked the other day if they could collapse a lung in her sleep somehow.  Well.  Now I know.

Just the other day I heard of someone with tonsil stones.  She said they were so painful.   :grouphug: to your daughter.

Tonsil stones?  It isn't serious, just painful.  There is nothing to be done, really so I am just griping.

I'm sorry your daughter isn't feeling well.

Actually there is something that can be done, though many people might find it distasteful.  Get a long q-tip, stick it back there, and dislodge the stone.  Instant relief.

• Like 3

Tonsil stones are very common. They're similar to hardened bits of plaque caught in the crevices of the tonsils. Harmless until they get a certain size and get irritating, and in my case it's usually one side only that's painful. These dental irrigation syringes work well to remove them. 

https://www.amazon.com/Careshine-Disposable-Dental-Irrigation-Syringe/dp/B01HTCNZUS/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1495502310&sr=8-3&keywords=dental+syringe