I posted on the General forum about my son being diagnosed with Wolff Parksinson White Syndrome two days ago. On it's face, this is a disqualifying heart condition for NROTC and the Service Academies.
Because of the type of symptoms he's experienced (and those he has not), we are very hopeful that his condition can be treated and "cured" with the ablation surgery. However, he has to be symptom free 2 years before he can be cleared by MEPS.
He is currently being recruited to swim at one service academy, the same one his father graduated from. His chances there were very good. His chances at two other schools, where he would attend NROTC were also very good.
Since we still know so little about his condition, I haven't mentioned any of these hiccups in his college plans (or even that he might not be able to swim at all this summer) to him. I figure there is no point tipping that cart until we have all of the relevant information -- but it is pretty hard having him chat on as if we'll head into the cardiologist's office in 2 weeks and he'll be good to go! If only things could be that easy!
So -- while I can't have these discussions with him now, I want to be prepared should they need to come up.
Without surgery, it looks like DS can afford to attend 3 colleges -- maybe 6, if he gets some additional outside scholarship money. None of those are schools he would probably be able to swim for (don't have a men's team, or any team, or he may not be fast enough to walk on)
Would a gap year be a horrible suggestion? So that he could apply for entrance to the service Academies, and his other top choice schools the following year? This will ultimately be his decision -- but if a Gap Year wouldn't really matter for NROTC or the Service Academies, I kind of want to know that, too.
I'm just feeling things out right now...because there isn't much more I can do than wait.