Menu

What do you think of the name Rilla?

AnnE-girl

Ha! It took me a minute of reading through the responses to realize it's pronounces with an l sound. I was reading it as a Spanish double ll, which makes a ya sound. Rilla guerrilla...

I like it in Spanish!! :)

ETA

Just saw Hellen's post. I agree.

I have a Willa. If I saw a Rilla I would assume her parents were big Anne fans. I honestly think it is just fine.

Many toddlers are going to pronounce "Rilla" as "Willa".  :001_smile:

As for nicknames on a birth certificate, this happens.  My grandfather was so excited by the birth of my mother that he gave her name to the records people as the nickname used by his own mother, rather than the woman's real name (which was supposed to be used for Mom).

My great aunt was called Rilla but her actual name was Amaryllis.

I think Amaryllis is nice. Plus, it would give your daughter more than one option for a nickname.

As to my feeling about Rilla, to me it sounds like the verb "rillen", which translates to "shiver" or "shudder":

https://translate.google.com/#nl/en/rillen

Not that I think that you should avoid every name that has an odd or negative meaning in a different language, just that to me, Rilla actually *sounds* like shivering, kind of like an onomatopoeia. Rilla would make for a great character in a thrilla (er, thriller). 

Count me in the group of people who were unsure whether to use English or Spanish phonics on Rilla, btw.

Also count me in the group of people who think you shouldn't give a nickname as the kid's first name. C has 3 syllables in his first name, 3 in his middle name, and then our 2 syllable last name. B has a 2 or 3 syllable first name (a debate between my wife and I - I think it's 3, but we went with the 2 syllable spelling), 3 syllables in first middle name, 3 syllables in second middle name, and then the 2 syllable last name. Both go by 4 letter nicknames.

And the dissenting opinion, from Justice Slartibartfast...

Couldn't help it, sorry! I do agree, though, that it's best to give the whole name rather than just the diminutive. If you really prefer Rilla, OP, maybe it could be a middle name?Actually, I quite like Elinor Rilla.

Slartibartfast is a great name for the bench. :lol:

• Like 2

I have to agree with the others. Pronounced as it's spelled, it's asking for brutal nicknames. However, if I saw that name without hearing it first, I'd probably assumed it was Spanish and pronounce it as Ree-ya.

I LOVE Elinor though, I think it's classic and sweet.

• Like 1

In passing -- Phonetically (for English, that is), the "i" must be a "short i" in the name Rilla. 

For an unusual name, you could use the Spanish word, "Orilla" [shore or bank, depending on ocean or river] with "Rilla" as a nickname.  I think the word "orilla" mellifluous.

I like Marilla and I wouldn't care too much about teasing, mainly because if kids want to tease, they'll find a way.

That said, I'm not too keen on Rilla, personally. But it's just a question of taste.

As for Elinor, I think it's lovely.

There is a funny book called "Don't name your baby" with common insults for hundreds of names. It is very entertaining. Basically, most names have something people will tease you about.
  • Like 1

I think Rilla sounds like an overpriced Scandinavian vacuum cleaner.

I like Elinor. I would use Tolkien's spelling Elanor, Elvish for sun-star. But, Elinor or Eleanor are also very nice.

I hear what you're saying but I also think I would totally buy a Swedish or Finnish vacuum cleaner.

• Like 1

I like it.

Do kids really get made fun of for their names because it rhymes with something? Even homeschooled kids? Would you really throw out a name because that might happen?

Yes, they do, and I'm wondering why you think homeschooled kids would be any different in that regard from other kids? 

I'm in the minority but I like it. I think it's pretty and knew how to pronounce it. You would really limiting the names you can use if you take into account every possible rhyming nickname that kids might come up with.

I think Rilla would go great with a three or four syllable middle name like Elizabeth or Catherine.

Yes, they do, and I'm wondering why you think homeschooled kids would be any different in that regard from other kids? 

Well, if you have only one kid and you keep her locked in the house at all times, then I suppose other kids might not make fun of her name, ever. Or of anything, really. ;)

• Like 1

I guess I have just never head it happening. It has never happened to my children or to the children of my friends (that I know of). I didn't think it was so widespread that teasing would be the first thing that came to mind.

For a very brief time in elementary school I was teased about my last name, but only on the playground, far away from the teachers. I guess there are all kinds of homeschoolers, but MY kids are rarely in situations like that.  I just imagined homeschoolers might be around more adults who would put a stop to that sort of teasing. Where is this teasing happening? 

I guess I have just never head it happening. It has never happened to my children or to the children of my friends (that I know of). I didn't think it was so widespread that teasing would be the first thing that came to mind.

For a very brief time in elementary school I was teased about my last name, but only on the playground, far away from the teachers. I guess there are all kinds of homeschoolers, but MY kids are rarely in situations like that.  I just imagined homeschoolers might be around more adults who would put a stop to that sort of teasing. Where is this teasing happening? 

It has to happen before you can put a stop to it (otherwise it's prevention).

My kids play at playgrounds, go to extracurriculars with all kinds of kids, summer camps, etc. I don't hover over them when they're in those situations, so stuff could happen. Sure, it's more likely to be addressed if it were to happen, but that doesn't mean it's prevented just by not being in school.