Menu

Just a little sad....

I choose to post here because I cannot seem to explain to others without it sounding......odd.

DD took the SAT and received a 2250.  We were all excited, buy generally we don't tell that kind of information to others.....it seems too much like bragging.

She and I both felt that after 3 practice PSAT  tests and a high score on the SAT, that she had a high probability of scoring for our states National Merit Semifinalists.

She received a 206, and that will not make it for our state's National Merit.  

We are both a little sad   :(  It is so hard to explain to others....so I chose here.  It's hard to explain why you are sad about a good score.

It's especially hard because DD had plans to attend a University with a full ride for NMF....

Anyway, I felt like telling someone......and there was no one to tell, so hopefully someone here might understand.

I am so sorry.  Something similar happened here.  My second child's SAT scores were in range for NM, but had a really off day for the PSAT and scored about 30 points lower than expected - must have mis-bubbled or something.  This kid didn't get a National Merit scholarship, but did get the top scholarships at 5 of the 6 schools that accepted him.  Missing out on National Merit does not necessarily mean missing out on great opportunities. 

I am so sorry.  Something similar happened here.  My second child's SAT scores were in range for NM, but had a really off day for the PSAT and scored about 30 points lower than expected - must have mis-bubbled or something.  This kid didn't get a National Merit scholarship, but did get the top scholarships at 5 of the 6 schools that accepted him.  Missing out on National Merit does not necessarily mean missing out on great opportunities. 

:iagree:

I was a semifinalist. Luckily, I did not realize at the time that I'd missed out on a full ride by one question or so. I would have been devastated. Honestly, I still occasionally think... what if? I didn't prep or take practice tests because I didn't realize that was something you could do. (My generation's pool of test-takers was much smaller than your daughter's--she probably scored much higher than I did in absolute terms.)

It is very disappointing. I mean yes, it's a great score, but it is also disappointing to be so close. There's nothing wrong with that.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetorch/2012/08/03/157835076/would-you-rather-win-silver-or-bronze-be-careful-what-you-wish-for

Your daughter will do great in the long run. She's obviously very smart and in great company. Hugs to you both.

Thanks for sharing. I totally understand. My son did great on the SAT but didn't score well enough for the NMSQT cutoff in CA. His score is good enough that he would be on the edge in HI where we move this week. However what matters is residence when the test is taken, not when cutoffs are announced.

And like you I don't feel there's really anyone I can commiserate with. Heck. I haven't even told anyone what my kids' scores were. Because I didn't meet any homeschoolers here who were trying to hit similar levels and it feels braggy to mention.

Definitely share here!  

I feel your pain.  Middle son missed out in our state due to a clock/watch technicality.  He was using his watch for timing, but didn't realize his watch was behind the clock (he didn't check it to start with).  The first reading section he was ok as he had plenty of time.  The first math section he missed the time and didn't finish three questions.  Getting any one of those three correct would have put him over the top.  Chances are, he would have gotten all three correct. It was a tough curve that year, so his missing two questions legitimately and then the three he didn't get to gave him too low of a score in what should have been his best section.

And... in half the states in the nation he'd have made it anyway, but not ours.

It does hurt the psyche, but like others mentioned, he still had great offers from nice schools, so all is not lost.   Having a top SAT/ACT score is worth a ton.

:grouphug:

Similar story here.  We would have made the National Merit cut-off in most states, but not in our state.

I told almost no one locally because they wouldn't understand the disappointment.  We are the only ones in our immediate circle who even took the PSAT, much less the APs and SAT II's as well.  Most homeschoolers around us just don't.

We are both a little sad   :(  It is so hard to explain to others....so I chose here.  It's hard to explain why you are sad about a good score.

It's especially hard because DD had plans to attend a University with a full ride for NMF....

Anyway, I felt like telling someone......and there was no one to tell, so hopefully someone here might understand.

I am so glad that you decided to share this, Okra. We are in a somewhat similar situation, and I've just been so torn about it that I haven't posted anything in the PSAT threads. Our older son took the PSAT as a sophomore last year and made a stellar score...far above our state's cutoff...with no prep at all. We were thrilled and excited and looking forward to this year's results! But alas, for whatever unknown reason, his score this year fell significantly. :-( Now he is right in the middle of our state's historical cutoff range...above the cutoff some years, below it others. So we have to wait until next September to see what this year's cutoff will be...

His score is still awesome!!! I feel guilty for being sad or disappointed about it! The night we did the little hack to figure out his score, the words, "Oh, my heart hurts!" actually came out of my mouth in front of this wonderful, faithful, talented son. How awful is that? How could I fall in the trap of putting so much emphasis on this little test when I've always been so focused on *learning* in our homeschool and NOT *testing*? To be honest, I think I am most disappointed in MYSELF for letting it get the better of me...if just for that moment. 

So again...thank you again for sharing. 

Missing out on National Merit does not necessarily mean missing out on great opportunities. 

Thanks so much.  DD and I both know this, of course in our hearts, bit it is really nice to hear the words from someone else.

I understand completely.  ((you))  ((your DD))

DS took the PSAT as a sophomore and a junior.  His sophomore year score qualified (but didn't count) and we were beyond thrilled.  We thought it was a done deal. His junior year scores did not qualify (by a couple of points).  We were disappointed.

I know that neither of us wanted to be in this group.  But, I appreciate the hugs and understanding.  I very much appreciate the ladies on this board who are wise, compassionate, and understanding about things. 

I am so glad that you decided to share this, Okra. We are in a somewhat similar situation, and I've just been so torn about it that I haven't posted anything in the PSAT threads. Our older son took the PSAT as a sophomore last year and made a stellar score...far above our state's cutoff...with no prep at all. We were thrilled and excited and looking forward to this year's results! But alas, for whatever unknown reason, his score this year fell significantly. :-( Now he is right in the middle of our state's historical cutoff range...above the cutoff some years, below it others. So we have to wait until next September to see what this year's cutoff will be...

His score is still awesome!!! I feel guilty for being sad or disappointed about it! The night we did the little hack to figure out his score, the words, "Oh, my heart hurts!" actually came out of my mouth in front of this wonderful, faithful, talented son. How awful is that? How could I fall in the trap of putting so much emphasis on this little test when I've always been so focused on *learning* in our homeschool and NOT *testing*? To be honest, I think I am most disappointed in MYSELF for letting it get the better of me...if just for that moment. 

So again...thank you again for sharing. 

It is hard isn't it? I don't know of anyone IRL that I could share with very well. 

The whole thing is pretty stressful!  I don't like how much can depend on these single sitting tests.  My son's scores for PSAT and SAT were not very similar, but for him PSAT was higher, SAT lower, but high enough for the cutoff.  Younger son doesn't even want to get involved in taking the PSAT bc it stresses him out thinking about it. 

I hope your daughter will get lots of other opportunities and I hope she doesn't take it too hard.  

I totally understand. My sophomore year PSAT made the cut off, but my junior year didn't. I would have gone to Berkeley either way, but it would have been fun to advance. Oh well, there were plenty more chances to show off my test taking skills. GMAT, LSAT, MBE! The PSAT is just the beginning, there is so much to look forward to.

Yes, I am sooo glad you mentioned this.  Dd also scored way below what we were expecting and it was disappointing for both of us.  She was expecting a higher score since she did so well in the SAT.  But I also had no one to commiserate with who would understand that I'm not bragging but just want to share my disappointment with someone.

I'm so sorry! I can totally understand how sad it is, particularly when the same score may have qualified her in another state, and especially to lose out on a full ride!!

I wholeheartedly agree!! Our DD did not make NMF but still received two merit scholarships at our state university that covered her tuition. ((Hugs)) enjoy her score, it is fantastic, and she is still most certainly in the running for scholarships.