Menu

Using actual real dried beans in a bean bag chair ...

milovany

What do I need to know?  I can fathom the "con" if the chair got wet, but is there anything else I need to be aware of it?  Very, very unlikely these chairs would get wet; they'd just be used for watching movies (the littles whose they would be can go to the kitchen if they want to drink something). We priced the packaged commercial "beans" yesterday and boy, howdy, it'll be $60-$100 to fill a couple of chairs I purchased.  I can get 25# of real beans for $20.  Well they be too heavy?  I mean, dragging them around the room won't be hard.  They won't be moved a lot.  Anyway, just wondering if there's something I'm not thinking of. 

I made some beanbags for my kids about 17 years ago and they're going strong. No smells, no bugs, nothing.  The grandkids play with them now. 

I know beanbags are different than a whole chair but I wanted to pass on how long my beans have lasted...plain old navy peas. 

I would think a bean filled chair would be heavy but it would feel SO GOOD. 

They might be heavy. But my bigger concern would be that the beans are well sealed. Raw beans, most varieties we get in the US anyway, are extremely poisonous if chewed up or swallowed. My kids don't seem to get this, and I know a leaking or zippable beanbag chair would be an accident waiting to happen. As is, we keep our beans sealed up in containers they cannot easily open because of the toddler.

The chairs may or may not also attract pests. Again it depends on how well they are sealed.

You could always try it and see, but I'd be making sure the beanbag portion was well sewn.

Ummm wow. How did I not know this?!?! Until we moved last year we had a bean tray for sensory play. Like a sand box but dried beans of all sizes. I had absolutely no idea they were poisonous?!?!? What the heck? I feel like I've been living under a rock and grateful none of my kids were harmed. :(

We priced the packaged commercial "beans" yesterday and boy, howdy, it'll be $60-$100 to fill a couple of chairs I purchased.  I can get 25# of real beans for $20.  Well they be too heavy?  I mean, dragging them around the room won't be hard.  They won't be moved a lot.  Anyway, just wondering if there's something I'm not thinking of. 

I think the real beans would be very heavy.

You could just buy a $15 bean bag chair at Walmart and use the "beans" from that to fill your chairs.

Wendy

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

We had those little flying food moth things invade our dry bean stash.  It was HORRIBLE to get rid of.  They lay eggs in every crack and crevice of the pantry, got into all the dry goods.  It took two iterations of cleaning and wondering if we'd gotten them all before they were really gone.  I'm pretty sure the beans are already infested from the bulk food store, because we've never had a problem before or since.  

So I read up on this bean thing and the FDA says that no cases of mortality from the toxin in kidney beans have been reported.  White kidney beans seem to have about 1/3 the amount of toxin as the red and lima beans are next with 5-10% of the toxin.  You'd only have to eat several raw kidney beans to get quite sick, but presumably that means you'd have to eat something like 50-100 raw lima beans.

At any rate, my kids are more likely to choke on a raw bean than to eat it, so it's not like we let them have raw beans when they're in the chewing things up stage anyway.

I think the real danger, as the FDA reports it anyway, seems to be from kidney beans made in slow cookers where they don't ever get quite well cooked enough (they must boil for at least 10 minutes, it says).  So I would be careful with slow cookers!  But I don't own one.

OP, I would also worry about weevils or something.  Also it would be massively expensive. ETA: on the other hand, you'd have a good source of food in case of extended supply chain interruption.

Edited by eternalsummer

Ummm wow. How did I not know this?!?! Until we moved last year we had a bean tray for sensory play. Like a sand box but dried beans of all sizes. I had absolutely no idea they were poisonous?!?!? What the heck? I feel like I've been living under a rock and grateful none of my kids were harmed. :(

No way! My toddlers have never been bad about putting things in their mouth, but my kids LOVE to try the uncooked form of pretty much any food they can. Luckily they always ask first and never asked to eat beans.

My mom made us great beanbag chairs stuffed with dried pinto beans. She used a very thick material like I guess sailcloth (I don't sew so don't know) and then made covers with zippers or buttons, she made new covers several times as the bean bags lasted fine, even with all the flopping on and heaving around they endured. They weren't light, but not terribly heavy, and they were huge. My mom was very thrift, so the beans must have been dirt cheap (early 1970s).