Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW41

Robin M

ladydusk, why do you like Mansfield Park? Most people seem to hate it. And have you read Lady Susan? I love that one, too, and nobody seems ever even to have heard of it.

Nan

I've heard of Lady Susan but haven't read it or Sanditon. I wrote a review of MP the last time I read it: http://ladydusk.blogspot.com/2012/05/book-review-mansfield-park-by-jane.html

I think I like it partially because I like to be contrary and like what others don't. I like that it is a love story of friendship and love. I like it because Fanny's priorities and right thinking protected her. I like the gentle writing. I like Fanny and identify with her introversion and thought life.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jane, love the photos & travel narration. What wonderful & fun traveling serendipity to join the celebration. I so want to head to Europe!

I'm one of the non-Mansfield Park people. Lol. Bet you ladies could have guessed that anyway. (My book club read it years ago but I didn't finish it. Just couldn't get into it.)

Feel like I'm slogging with my reading. Am also still working on "You, or the Invention of Memory" by Jonathan Baumbach. This is the one from another indie publisher, Dzanc Books. Taking the poetry book slowly. I need to find something gripping, though. I'm enjoying reading, but am just not feeling the book love right now. I want to be sucked in -- hook, line, & sinker. Any ideas, my friends?

I enjoyed the photos, Jane!  Thanks for sharing them. 

Into the fields and woods adjacent to town:

But shouldn't this be ...

♫♫"Into the woods,
It's time to go,
I hate to leave,
I have to, though.
Into the woods-
It's time, and so
I must begin my journey."♫♫

Regards,

Kareni

Whoops! I haven't logged in for a while, and I'm behind.

33. "Smart but Scattered" by Peg Dawson and Richard Guare. Recommended by my kids' psychiatrist. Teaches parents how to directly teach the social skills ADHD kids tend not to pick up on their own. Took me several chapters to get into it, but we are going to try it.

32. "Her Next Chapter" by Lori Day. Overall, a great book on mother-daughter book clubs. She suggests topics for discussion that I probably wouldn't have thought of discussing with my daughters. I wouldn't choose to follow every suggestion.

31. "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen.

30. "The Survival Guide for Kids with ADHD" by John F. Taylor.

29. "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families" by Stephen R. Covey

28. "He Delivered Even Me, He Will Deliver Even You" by Misti Stevenson (LDS).

27. "Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Fielding Smith" (LDS).

26. "Pearl of Great Price" (LDS).

25. "The Verbally Abusive Relationship" by Patricia Evans.

24. "Doctrine & Covenents" (LDS).

23. "The 7-day Christian: How Living Your Beliefs Every Day Can Change the World" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).

22. "Gift of Love" by Kris Mackay (LDS).

21. "In Loving Hands" by Kris Mackay (LDS).

20. "The Outstretched Arms" by Kris Mackay (LDS).

19. "No Greater Love" by Kris Mackay (LDS).

18. "The Book of Mormon" (LDS).

17. "Inferno" by Dan Brown.

16. "The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches" by Alan Bradley.

15. "I Am Not Sick I Don't Need Help!" by Xavier Amador, Ph.D.

14. "How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare" by Ken Ludwig.

13. "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

12. "Code Name Verity" by Elizabeth Wein.

11. "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.

10. "With Healing in His Wings" ed. by Camille Fronk Olson & Thomas A. Wayment (LDS).

9. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling.

8. "The Good Knight" by Sarah Woodbury.

7. "Speaking From Among the Bones" by Alan Bradley.

6. "The Continuous Conversion" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).

5. "The Continuous Atonement" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).

4. "Finding Hope" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).

3. "When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).

2. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling. (Read-aloud)

1. "The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Our Hearts and Homes" by James L. Ferrell (LDS).

I read it last year and really liked it.  I'm looking forward to reading it again. :)

I picked that one because it was on Netflix and had the dress we were eyeing to copy.  :lol:   Lesson learned!!!  Plus I like Billie Piper, so I'll find that one. 

I have actually read World War Z.  Last year?  I really liked it and I've been trying to get dh to read it.  I'm rereading it as part of my zombie/dystopian theme for the month. I actually liked the movie, too.  I mean, obviously it's very different than the book, but by itself it was actually pretty good. I haven't yet got to the end of Wheel of Time, but I love Brandon Sanderson.  He's an amazing author.  I think Rithmatist and Warbreaker (half through) are the only ones of his I haven't read, but the man writes so fast that I can barely keep up!  The Stormlight Archives are my favorite, though Elantris is a good starting point.  I was very impressed with Steelheart, too. That one can kind of be a stand-alone, though it makes sense in the Cosmere and he's planning more.  It's the only one so far that I've read in our "universe" in a way.  If you liked WoT, you'd love the Stormlight Archives. 

I am liking The Mysterious Benedict Society, but we're only like 3-4 chapters in and I'm still confused!

I will definitely have to dip my toes into Sanderson.  I did enjoy his writing style in the WoT books.  He tended to be less descriptive than Jordan and moved the story along at a quicker pace.  Do you have a first book to read suggestion?

LOL about MBS!  It is really a fun book.

Hurry up lady!  Do you have book 4 on hold at your library yet?  I'm just dying to know what you think.

Have you read The Woman in White?  That is my favorite Wilkie Collins book.  I actually use the name of one of the characters in it as my alias when I don't want to give my real name.  

I cried at the end too.  And then DD made fun of me.  I don't know where she gets her cold hearted streak from.  Have you read anything else by Neil Gaiman?

I was trying not to cry because Aly would have done the same.   :lol:   Actually, if I had been home alone, it would have been horrid!

ETA:  The only other thing I've read by Gaiman is Stardust.

I will definitely have to dip my toes into Sanderson.  I did enjoy his writing style in the WoT books.  He tended to be less descriptive than Jordan and moved the story along at a quicker pace.  Do you have a first book to read suggestion?

I haven't read it, but this book of his is currently available free to Kindle readers.

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson

I did enjoy the author's Mistborn series.

Regards,

Kareni

I finished Breathe (Colorado Mountain) by Kristen Ashley which I enjoyed.  It's a contemporary romance with definite adult content.  I'd suggest reading this series in order.

"In Carnal, Colorado, Faye Goodknight is the town's quiet, shy librarian. She may also be Carnal's last remaining virgin. For years, Faye has had a crush on Chace Keaton, but the gorgeous cop has always been unattainable. She's resigned to live contentedly with only her books for company-until Faye suddenly meets Chace alone in the woods ...

Chace doesn't think he's the good guy everyone believes him to be. He's made a lot of choices he regrets, including denying his feelings for Faye. Through his choices, he's come to believe the pretty librarian is too good for him, but after their time in the woods, Chace realizes that she may be his last chance for redemption. Soon, their long simmering desires grow to a burning passion. Yet always casting a shadow over their happiness is Chace's dark past ..."

Other Kristen Ashley fans might be interested to know that seven of her books (none of which I've read) are now available for 99 cents for Kindle readers.

Regards,

Kareni

So yesterday I finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman for my Spooky October read.  I am glad I stuck through to the end because I did enjoy it, even though I didn't love it.  The part I about gave up on was the Ghoul Gate chapter, in hindsight, my least favorite part of the book.  The end chapters were very fast paced and really brought the story together for me.  Like I said, I was tearing up at the end.  I know that it is a good and right ending, but I would have liked it to not be so final, even though I realized it was coming.  That was the tear jerker!  I do love books with new and different premises and being taken in by ghosts surely is something different  ;) I found this profound quote:

"It's like the people who believe they'll be happy if they go and live somewhere else, but who learn it doesn't work that way.  Wherever you go, you take yourself with you.  If you see what I mean."  

Books like these make me realize that my 1-5 star ratings for books just doesn't work.  There is so much more to it.  

Anyway, that was book #45 (I think).  I began The Legend of Sleepy Hollow & Rip Van Winkle last night as another Spooky read.  Skye finished her book 15 minutes before me last night and grabbed Michael Vey.  I guess I will be the last to read it.  :001_rolleyes:

Well, I'm smack in the middle of Deathless and it has turned bitter and depressing, very Russian. Still fascinating, though.

" You Ivanushka of the old tales,

What ails you today?

So much bitterness in your every word

So much darkness in your love

And why does this stream of blood

Disturb the petal of your cheek.

However, it is not apathetic or pathetic, which would irritate me. At least not yet.

Ooh, thanks for the Hot Zone reminder. I've been meaning to read it for a couple of months now. 

I'm still in Prodigal Son. I keep falling asleep reading it. *shifty eyes* It's not bad, it's just not sucking me in. I'll make a point to read it tonight instead of getting distracted online or with a movie. While the kiddies were doing individual work during school, I looked through their bookshelves and pulled out all sorts of eerie tales to read with them in celebration of Spooky October! We have the Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories trilogy so that should be fun to read together. I'll admit though, I was bummed that they weren't the original drawings which were scary as hell when I was a child. 

(Jane, look away now, since Flavorwire irritates you. :lol: )

50 Cultural Icons on Their Favorite Books

Kind of fun. That first photo of Bill Murray cracks me up (because I loved Lost in Translation). Hey, I know which book Daniel Radcliffe is talking about, even if it doesn't mention the title! (Pam, I think you'll know too.) And, some of you may have more in common with Lady Gaga than you realize. ;)

And, I have no idea who some of the people on the list are, even though I have a bit of book-commonness with Louis C.K. (I had to look up who he is.)

Kind of fun. That first photo of Bill Murray cracks me up (because I loved Lost in Translation). Hey, I know which book Daniel Radcliffe is talking about, even if it doesn't mention the title! (Pam, I think you'll know too.) And, some of you may have more in common with Lady Gaga than you realize. ;)

And, I have no idea who some of the people on the list are, even though I have a bit of book-commonness with Louis C.K. (I had to look up who he is.)

Cultural Icons, eh?  Maybe each BaWer should come up with "cultural icons" fictional or real to ask important book related questions.  Of course we'll have to make up the answers.  :laugh:

"So Lord Peter, what are you reading?" "Peter Lovesey's novel, The Last Detective.  I always enjoy a vicarious walk through Bath." 

Stacia, what is Gregor Samsa reading?

Cultural Icons, eh? Maybe each BaWer should come up with "cultural icons" fictional or real to ask important book related questions. Of course we'll have to make up the answers. :laugh:

"Dread Cthulhu, how ought one correctly interpret the writings regarding the End of the World in this eldritch scroll?" "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!" ["When the stars are right, R'lyeh will rise from the sea, never to sink again, and Cthulhu will awaken."]

You mean like that?

"Dread Cthulhu, how ought one correctly interpret the writings regarding the End of the World in this eldritch scroll?" "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!" ["When the stars are right, R'lyeh will rise from the sea, never to sink again, and Cthulhu will awaken."]

You mean like that?

And here I thought you would consult some medieval philosopher!  Tell me, what modern books might amuse Gargantua and Pantagruel?

Cultural Icons, eh?  Maybe each BaWer should come up with "cultural icons" fictional or real to ask important book related questions.  Of course we'll have to make up the answers.  :laugh:

"So Lord Peter, what are you reading?" "Peter Lovesey's novel, The Last Detective.  I always enjoy a vicarious walk through Bath." 

Stacia, what is Gregor Samsa reading?

Stacia and Jane - Cool idea.  

"Mr. Poirot, what are you reading?"

"Ah.  Yes.  This delightful little book on the history of wine."

I did something very very bad. I got halfway through St. Cyr #5 before I realized it wasn't #4. Starting 4 now. [hangs head in shame] I wish mystery novels numbered the novels. Sigh.

Whoa.  Spoilers!

Have you read The Woman in White?  That is my favorite Wilkie Collins book.  I actually use the name of one of the characters in it as my alias when I don't want to give my real name.  

I wanted to read The Woman in White first but I couldn't  find it.  It is in this house somewhere but it's exact location eludes me at the  moment so I started Moonstone.  If I can't find Woman in White soon I will have to buy it again.  This is how I end up with so many doubles..

You mean like that?

I just had a beer with dinner, and, being the cheap date that I am, was having a hard time "getting" the Flavorwire list much less all the BaW posts after.  VC's Cthulhu quote, however, makes perfect sense, an veritable island of clarity in a sea of "huh?"

:cheers2:  Cheer's y'all!

He gets much more descriptive in his more recent novels.  I would say start with The Stormlight Archives because the first is free BUT you have to be really dedicated!  They are huge!  Since you've read WoT, that might not be a deterrent. ;)  It took me and my oldest dd several chapters to really get into it and I am so glad I kept with it.  I'm antsy for the next one!

If you want something stand alone, I'd say Elantris or Steelheart.  Steelheart if you like Superhero or YA stuff, Elantris if you like fantasy.  Mistborn is good but it kind of lost me halfway through book 3, though I am also glad I picked it back up and finished it.  

I haven't read it, but this book of his is currently available free to Kindle readers.

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive Book 1) by Brandon Sanderson

I did enjoy the author's Mistborn series.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, thank you!  I would have forgotten to post that for her.  Such a good deal.  Everyone should get it and give it a try!  Man, now I want to read it again, but I have to get through my library pile!

I did something very very bad. I got halfway through St. Cyr #5 before I realized it wasn't #4. Starting 4 now. [hangs head in shame] I wish mystery novels numbered the novels. Sigh.

Oh my goodness.  I did that with Outlander.  I read the first and skipped straight ahead to A Breath of Snow and Ashes because I got bad info on which was next.  Quite the spoiler.  I didn't realize it until I was over 100 pages in.  Sigh.  I never got back to finishing that series after I hit some triggers in #2 when I was pregnant. 

I'm reading World War Z again.  It's going faster this time.  I really need to convince dh to read it.  I've also decided to work on my patience and re-read the Heroes of Olympus series before I pick up Blood of Olympus.  My kids are hogging the book, anyway.  I listened to some Warbreaker in the car but I started feeling sleepy. 

ETA: My Goodreads review for Gone Girl.  I was really conflicted on even how to explain my thoughts on this book.  It crawled inside my head and chewed me up.  It's not an eloquent review and I tried to be vague.  But if you're looking into reading it and want a heads up, here you go. 

Jane, Not sure if you read Val McDermid but you might enjoy her new one The Skeleton Road. I am only 100 pages in but many links to Eastern Europe, Yugoslavia and Bosnia,Croatia. I have thought of you as I have been reading descriptions of Dubrovnik before.....Obviously I can't give much of a review yet but I normally enjoy her books. Other people do too because the hold line behind me is long.

Rather relieved to know that you don't know who many of those people are either. Have to admit I enjoyed reading the BaW discussion of said list far more than the actual list. ;)

Yes spoilers. I find it very interesting that the last few books in the series take place over a very short period of time. Odd for a series but fun to read.

Jane, Not sure if you read Val McDermid but you might enjoy her new one The Skeleton Road. I am only 100 pages in but many links to Eastern Europe, Yugoslavia and Bosnia,Croatia. I have thought of you as I have been reading descriptions of Dubrovnik before.....Obviously I can't give much of a review yet but I normally enjoy her books. Other people do too because the hold line behind me is long.

Oh, this looks good. Unfortunately it won't be published in the US until December.  I need to remember to look for it down the road!

I am in the mood for a mystery with some complexity.  My dusty stack contains The Lighthouse with P.D. James detective Adam Dalgliesh.  Murder on an island with piracy in its past.  Just the ticket...

I also started reading a book that Eliana recommended, Women's Work:  The First 20,000 Years, by archaeologist Elizabeth Wayland Barber. This is about the history of textiles, something that fascinates me.

Oh, this looks good. Unfortunately it won't be published in the US until December. I need to remember to look for it down the road!

I am in the mood for a mystery with some complexity. My dusty stack contains The Lighthouse with P.D. James detective Adam Dalgliesh. Murder on an island with piracy in its past. Just the ticket...

I also started reading a book that Eliana recommended, Women's Work: The First 20,000 Years, by archaeologist Elizabeth Wayland Barber. This is about the history of textiles, something that fascinates me.

My interest in Val McDermid was revived thanks to hearing about her interview in Harrogate with Rowling. From all accounts everyone who went loved McDermid. Somewhat humorous because she was conducting the interview which she handled very gracefully apparently. I have read several of her earlier books but none of the more recent.

Pretty much the same for PD James. I know I read Death Comes to Pemberly but other than that they are familiar and I know I have read a few of them. I just requested the first Dalgliesh.

While I was googling I learned quite a bit about James. Did you know she has started a new book at 93? Amazing.....

Love the cultural icons list.  I'm trying to decide whether I believe Lady Gaga reads Rilke every week.  If so I have some re-framing work to do.

Just popped in to share a breakfast moment with my 15 yo son, who mostly these days is a pain in my butt:

Son (glancing up from his keyboard, on which he was furiously typing, I presumed on Facebook): "Hey -- what was the name of that awful book from 8th grade about Piggy?"

Me (undercaffeinated):  "Uh, Lord of the Flies?"

Son:  "Thanks."  (more furious typing)

Beat.

Second beat.  (typing persists)

Third beat.  Me: "Why?"

Son: "I'm drafting the opening speech for Model UN.  About, you know, how important it is that we manage to resolve differences non-violently."

:001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:  :001_wub:

(every once in a long while -- eclipse days, say -- the kid surprises me anew....)

I wanted to read The Woman in White first but I couldn't  find it.  It is in this house somewhere but it's exact location eludes me at the  moment so I started Moonstone.  If I can't find Woman in White soon I will have to buy it again.  This is how I end up with so many doubles..

I much prefer Moonstone so I think it's a great book to start with. Woman in White was eh for me. 

Son: "I'm drafting the opening speech for Model UN.  About, you know, how important it is that we manage to resolve differences non-violently."

:hurray: 

How cool that book that challenged him is still in his thoughts years later & he is using it as a model (or not) of how to proceed in a political situation.

I continue with 'The Ivy Tree' and am finishing up the sample of 'Gaudy Night' which I'm reading on my phone and loving. The library has a copy so that'll be coming my way soon. I've got The Art Forger by B. A. Shapiro on hold at overdrive. Like Jane, I'm (uncharacteristically) veering towards mysteries these days and this would meet that inclination as well as fit nicely into the Art focus for my 5/5.

Ladydusk, I spent far too much time with 'Surprised by Oxford' after a trip to your blog. You know how those circuitous meanderings take one far and wide, here and there, in and out...I spent some time with that, her poetry, her blog and her second book as well as an interview with her. Still undecided about reading the book though it looks like it would be a lovely dance between scholarly and heart-embroidered. I gather you enjoyed it very much.

Pam, what a wonderful moment with you and your son though I know you must have had to rein in your extreme enthusiasm in light of the, ahem, strictures in place  ;)

Last night I read A Scandal to Remember (The Reckless Brides) by Elizabeth Essex.  The storyline strained credulity at times; however, I enjoyed it nonetheless.  It was fun to see an intelligent heroine (a scientist, specifically a conchologist) in 1815.

"CAN A WHIRLWIND ROMANCE

In Elizabeth Essex's A Scandal to Remember, for too long, Miss Jane Burke’s father has taken advantage of her painstaking research. Heading to the South Seas to make her own name as a scientist despite the crew’s insistence that a woman aboard is bad luck, she isn’t prepared to be championed by a handsome ship’s officer who rouses longings inside her as wild as any storm…

LEAD TO A PROPER PROPOSAL?

For Lieutenant Charles Dance, a post on His Majesty’s survey ship Tenacious is just one more dutiful rung on the ladder of his career. Even a headstrong bluestocking on board is less troubling than the ship’s drunken captain—and the ferocious gales that drive the ship off course. Stranded on a remote island, passion blazes between them as hot as the sun, but it’s Jane’s love that Charles wants forever…"

Regards,

Kareni

Audible has been having a BOGO deal for the last few days. It ends today. I got 'A Connecticut Yankee in Sir Arthur's Court' at ds's request and for myself a very intriguing-looking Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce. This again falls outside my usual genre but I liked the narrator and the reviews on both the writing and the story sounded good. Plus it will fall into my magical realism area in my 5/5 focus. My reading suddenly feels engaged again :hurray:

He gets much more descriptive in his more recent novels.  I would say start with The Stormlight Archives because the first is free BUT you have to be really dedicated!  They are huge!  Since you've read WoT, that might not be a deterrent. ;)  It took me and my oldest dd several chapters to really get into it and I am so glad I kept with it.  I'm antsy for the next one!

If you want something stand alone, I'd say Elantris or Steelheart.  Steelheart if you like Superhero or YA stuff, Elantris if you like fantasy.  Mistborn is good but it kind of lost me halfway through book 3, though I am also glad I picked it back up and finished it.  

Yes, thank you!  I would have forgotten to post that for her.  Such a good deal.  Everyone should get it and give it a try!  Man, now I want to read it again, but I have to get through my library pile!

Thank you!  I did notice the Stormlight book last week at Amazon but it had such mixed reviews that I was hesitant.  I will have to get it.  No, long series do not deter me if they are good. Last year I spent the whole year rereading WoT before finishing the final book.  I've also read all of The Belgariad, The Mallorean, plus Polgara and Belgarath before.  That's a chuck of books too!  David Eddings knows how to finish an epic series.  I was disappointed at the end of WoT.  Though I liked all the previous books, but one.  That's not a bad track record either, I suppose.

Audible has been having a BOGO deal for the last few days. It ends today. I got 'A Connecticut Yankee in Sir Arthur's Court' at ds's request and for myself a very intriguing-looking Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce. This again falls outside my usual genre but I liked the narrator and the reviews on both the writing and the story sounded good. Plus it will fall into my magical realism area in my 5/5 focus. My reading suddenly feels engaged again :hurray:

This sounds interesting!  I might put it on my tbr pile (which is crazy large at the moment!).  And I'm glad your reading feels engaged again!

I finished The Legend of Sleepy Hollow & Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving last night.  I had wanted to fit this in last October in between my WoT reading but never made it.  It was a quick read!  I absolutely adored Irving's writing style, especially his vocabulary.  Rip Van Winkle had an abundance of rich vocabulary.  It just flowed.  :001_wub:  Aly and I have been reading through Caesar's English, and I think I found every one of the words we have studied so far.  I was familiar with both stories but not as familiar as I thought.  I thought Rip Van Winkle slept away 100 years, and that Ichabod Crane was killed (though the legends of Sleepy Hollow say maybe he was lol).  The rich descriptions of the food in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow reminded me of Farmer Boy.  And made me hungry.  I loved how the writing provided such a vivid visual image in my mind.  I found nothing "spooky" about Rip Van Winkle, other than his atrocious wife.  Actually, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow wasn't "spooky" either.  But I can certainly relate with Ichabod Crane in the fact that the mind can certainly play tricks on you, especially when you are filling it with "spooky" stories.   :P  

Ladydusk, I spent far too much time with 'Surprised by Oxford' after a trip to your blog. You know how those circuitous meanderings take one far and wide, here and there, in and out...I spent some time with that, her poetry, her blog and her second book as well as an interview with her. Still undecided about reading the book though it looks like it would be a lovely dance between scholarly and heart-embroidered. I gather you enjoyed it very much.

Pam, what a wonderful moment with you and your son though I know you must have had to rein in your extreme enthusiasm in light of the, ahem, strictures in place  ;)

to Ladydusk - hey, me too.  What a wonderful blog!

to shukriyya - yeah, our relationship is taking a certain, er, management finesse these days, lol...  but every now and again the clouds part, just often enough that I am able to Keep The Faith. 

Here are two free Kindle books that I think will certainly be of interest to readers here:

The Flowers of Adonis by Rosemary Sutcliff...

I'd never even heard of this one!  For adults, evidently.  Thank you -- just downloaded it.

Here are two free Kindle books that I think will certainly be of interest to readers here:

The Flowers of Adonis by Rosemary Sutcliff

and

Whose Body? (The Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries Book 1) by Dorothy Sayers

Regards,

Kareni

Are the Lord Peter books clean?  Is Sayers similar to Agatha Christie?  Since it's Aly's Kindle, I don't like to have anything dodgy on it  ;)

Are the Lord Peter books clean?  Is Sayers similar to Agatha Christie?  Since it's Aly's Kindle, I don't like to have anything dodgy on it  ;)

Lord Peter may call someone an ass (as in jackass) but they usually deserve it; there is also the occasional "damn".

Yes there are dead bodies but the scenes are not gruesome.

Sayers offers more classical allusions than Christie. 

I don't have a problem with Clouds of Witness but does anyone here think that Angel might be offended by it?

I finished The Legend of Sleepy Hollow & Rip Van Winkle by Washington Irving last night.  I had wanted to fit this in last October in between my WoT reading but never made it.  It was a quick read!  I absolutely adored Irving's writing style, especially his vocabulary.  Rip Van Winkle had an abundance of rich vocabulary.  It just flowed.  :001_wub:  Aly and I have been reading through Caesar's English, and I think I found every one of the words we have studied so far.  I was familiar with both stories but not as familiar as I thought.  I thought Rip Van Winkle slept away 100 years, and that Ichabod Crane was killed (though the legends of Sleepy Hollow say maybe he was lol).  The rich descriptions of the food in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow reminded me of Farmer Boy.  And made me hungry.  I loved how the writing provided such a vivid visual image in my mind.  I found nothing "spooky" about Rip Van Winkle, other than his atrocious wife.  Actually, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow wasn't "spooky" either.  But I can certainly relate with Ichabod Crane in the fact that the mind can certainly play tricks on you, especially when you are filling it with "spooky" stories.   :p  

I listened to Legend of Sleepy Hollow on audio with my kids while driving. I couldn't wait to get home because it had made me hungry. 

I listened to Legend of Sleepy Hollow on audio with my kids while driving. I couldn't wait to get home because it had made me hungry. 

Your post reminded me that I have an old Rabbit Ears box set with a book and a cassette tape of Glenn Close reading the tale. Anyone want it?  (Giggles as people ask "What is this thing called a 'cassette tape' of which Jane speaks?") 

Lord Peter may call someone an ass (as in jackass) but they usually deserve it; there is also the occasional "damn".

I don't have a problem with Clouds of Witness but does anyone here think that Angel might be offended by it?

The only Sayer I didn't let dd read was Busman's Honeymoon. There was just too much violence against women. Not sure how else to phrase it and not do spoilers for those who haven't read it. It had an intensity that I didn't want dd to read at roughly 14 when she read the others. She still talks about going back and reading it but thus far has experienced a lack of availability. ;)

I agree that there is some swearing. I considered them to be one step beyond Christie in terms of dd reading them. Everything moves up a notch...One thing that may concern you is Harriet Vane was accused poisoning her lover. That is the the subject matter for Strong Poison and the issue rears it head through subsequent books.

As far as Whose Body is concerned I don't remember there being anything objectionable. I was good with Clouds of Witness also.

to Ladydusk - hey, me too.  What a wonderful blog!

I'd never even heard of this one!  For adults, evidently.  Thank you -- just downloaded it.

:iagree:

Thanks, ladies! I have a lot of fun doing it and have made some wonderful friends through it.

I LOVED Surprised by Oxford and Holy is the Day (her second book). I powered through both of them very quickly.  I couldn't keep my nose out of them.  I think Carolyn Weber is amazing and follow her blog and writings.  I really think what made Surprised by Oxford so wonderful to me was the way the Christian community there gathered and strengthened and taught her in loving fellowship.  Fantastic book, and despite its length a very quick read.  Madeleine L'Engle has long been my favorite author, Weber's writing reminds me of her in vocabulary, cadence, and syntax.

I, not having a 10 year old yet (until Monday) and being a more conservative reader with similar sensitivities to Angel, don't think I'd give this series to a teen.  As an adult, however, I think Sayers' series has a decidedly moral, Christian worldview when tackling difficult issues (despite some culturally sensitive things that have changed since Sayers' time).   While the church and faith are rarely mentioned directly, allusions and strictures are often there below the surface.  I'm only to Gaudy Night, so I can't say for the whole series, but I think they are worth reading as quality literature, but more for a reader who is willing to put in the work to plumb the depths.

Many times the things that would bother Angel are discussed or mentioned, but not described.  I think that is where the difference lies.  If she can handle Silk and Barak and Belgarath in Eddings, I think she could manage Sayers ;)