Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW41

Robin M

I'm still working on Mists of Avalon, which is Mighty Long. I'm enjoying it, but at my current pace I think I'll be at it until the winter solstice. And I've started Isaiah, and my bird poems indeed resurfaced yesterday :hurray: , and I'm casting about for an audio book.

I'm feeling the poetic possibilities of this paragraph...mists, Avalon, solstice, winter, pace, birds, yesterday, Isaiah, resurfacing...

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking up some info based on reading The Debba, I came across the name of Mahmoud Darwish, who is considered one of the great Palestinian poets. My library has a collection of his work -- Unfortunately, It Was Paradise -- so I've (slowly) started it. Serious mind yoga here for me, as I find poetry hard to read, generally speaking. I usually find it more interesting to read the introductions or notes from the translator than the poetry itself. :tongue_smilie: :huh:

As an example, I enjoy the intros/notes from the translators because it includes info like this...

Mahmoud Darwish was born in the village of Birwe, in the district of Akka (Acre) in upper Galilee, Palestine, on March 13, 1942. When he was six years old, the Israeli Army occupied and subsequently destroyed Birwe, along with 416 other Palestinian villages. To avoid the ensuing massacres, the Darwish family fled to Lebanon. A year later, they returned to their country "illegally," and settled in the nearby village of Dayr al-Asad, but too late to be counted among the Palestinians who survived and remained within the borders of the new state. The young Darwish was now an "internal refugee," legally classified as a "present-absent alien," a species of Orwellian doublethink that the poet would later interrogate in his lyric meditation.

So, that said, I have actually started reading some of the poems....

And, I STILL need to figure out my spooky reading for October.

Ok, Jane, I can see why you like this thread!  I came to look at your pictures and got sucked in and spent entirely too much time reading about books that I hope I never, ever, ever have to read, they sound so upsetting lol.  I tried it early on as a gesture of support, discovered that I hated keeping track of what I read, just because I hate keeping track of things, and found that it made me wonder why I wasn't managing to read to educate myself.  Well, I guess I was reading to educate myself, but not whole books.  It was frustrating not being able to list the books I learned the most from, which were often ones in which I had read only a paragraph or a few picture captions.  I spend a lot of time looking at the pictures in a book and not reading it, too.  It also made me want to read even more for escape, which I didn't have time for.  Anyway, it didn't work.  It is much more interesting now!  I don't think I can contribute, since I'm rotten at discussing books and I'm probably not reading anything anyone else would want to read, anyway (lots of young adult books for escape lol) but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading other people's posts.  What fun!  And I do want to try that Quakers in space book of E's.  I don't think the idea is strange, though.  I've read a fair number of books set in space with pacifists.  Or maybe you meant the other things I associate with Quakers, not just the pacifist part?  What about The Eye of the Heron?  I love that one, although it is hard in spots.  Or I just finished rereading some of the Sector General books for the umpteenth time.  Or what about MacIntosh's (sp?) Starfarer series?  That one has extraneous weirdness in spots which I don't think adds to the story, but definately is a pacifists against non-pacifists plot. 

Jane - I loved your photos.  I hope you include some more!

Nan

Ok, Jane, I can see why you like this thread!  I came to look at your pictures and got sucked in and spent entirely too much time reading about books that I hope I never, ever, ever have to read, they sound so upsetting lol.  I tried it early on as a gesture of support, discovered that I hated keeping track of what I read, just because I hate keeping track of things, and found that it made me wonder why I wasn't managing to read to educate myself.  Well, I guess I was reading to educate myself, but not whole books.  It was frustrating not being able to list the books I learned the most from, which were often ones in which I had read only a paragraph or a few picture captions.  I spend a lot of time looking at the pictures in a book and not reading it, too.  It also made me want to read even more for escape, which I didn't have time for.  Anyway, it didn't work.  It is much more interesting now!  I don't think I can contribute, since I'm rotten at discussing books and I'm probably not reading anything anyone else would want to read, anyway (lots of young adult books for escape lol) but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading other people's posts.  What fun!  And I do want to try that Quakers in space book of E's.  I don't think the idea is strange, though.  I've read a fair number of books set in space with pacifists.  Or maybe you meant the other things I associate with Quakers, not just the pacifist part?  What about The Eye of the Heron?  I love that one, although it is hard in spots.  Or I just finished rereading some of the Sector General books for the umpteenth time.  Or what about MacIntosh's (sp?) Starfarer series?  That one has extraneous weirdness in spots which I don't think adds to the story, but definately is a pacifists against non-pacifists plot. 

Jane - I loved your photos.  I hope you include some more!

Nan

Folks, I have told Nan for years that This is the Thread.  I am so thrilled that she dipped her toes in!!

Welcome, welcome Nan my friend! 

And I promise to post more pictures tomorrow.

XXOO

Nan!!!  It is so good to see you!!  I do hope you will make us a regular habit and share whatever it is you are reading.  You don't have to make erudite or profound comments on your week's reading, just stop by to chat.  Tell us about your boys and your art.  Tell us about the fluff that is entertaining you.  I was just thinking of you yesterday when I stuck my nose into a thread on another forum, a forum once inhabited by us where we freely shared our outside the box approaches to homeschooling!  It seems sometimes that our style has gone the way of the Dodo, but it is more likely that I'm just old and curmudgeonly. (Back in MY day I had to walk to the library in the snow, uphill both ways, just to get library books.  Nobody had e-readers!)  

Welcome!  Come back!  This is a lovely group of ladies with several familiar faces that you'll recognize, and terrific new friends.

I myself have been enjoying a season of fluffy reads.  A veritable flurry of lightweight entertainment.  Yesterday I described my current book, Lock In, a sci-fi/FBI thriller as a smart, compelling page turner.  Well it started that way, but the climatic action and big who-done-it reveal quickly devolved into made-for-tv writing and logic.  Its been getting such good reviews in the press, and the author is riding the tide of sci-fi golden child at the moment.  But overall I'd now say it is disappointing, and not a book I'd recommend to a  non sci-fi reader.

Still treading water with life but I'm not drowning.  Yay!  Not completely overwhelmed!

Quick update before books - 

We close on our new house on Thursday and then will move over the weekend.  

Medical examiner still trying to officially identify BIL so we can move ahead with the cremation.  Might be up to eight weeks because they have to go by dental records.  Niece is holding up pretty well considering everything.  BIL didn't have many friends out in Hawaii (he was a bit of a lost soul) so we're talking about flying niece out here for a visit and to bury BIL's ashes with his parents around Christmas.  Much easier (and economical) to fly her to Kansas then four of us out there!  DH's will have family in around then too so we'll try to do a service for him then.

Situation normal ... 24 hours from complete crisis.

:lol: 

I'm about halfway though The Ivy Tree and at this point I'm wondering why I've never read Mary Stewart before?!?!   

I'm about halfway though The Ivy Tree and at this point I'm wondering why I've never read Mary Stewart before?!?!   

And I am wondering why I have not read The Ivy Tree before?

Sending you and your family good thoughts, Amy.  Sounds like you are coping amazingly well!

Jane

Amy :grouphug:

Nan -- Welcome! Please remember many of us read quite a bit of fluff.

Bookwise, I finished The Return to Tradd Street by Karen White, the final instalment in the spooky cozy series I posted about earlier today. This one was more romatic than ghosty but I really enjoyed it. I spent most of my evening curled up with my kindle trying to finish it.

I've finished Grace Draven's Master of Crows which I mentioned a day or two ago.  I'd classify it as a fantasy novel with a strong romance component.  I enjoyed it, and I'll be on the lookout for more of this author's books.  (If you buy the Kindle version, you can get the book for 99 cents as part of a five book deal: Darkly Dreaming: A Five Book Fantasy Romance Anthology.)

Regards,

Kareni

Amy :grouphug:

Nan -- Welcome! Please remember many of us read quite a bit of fluff.

And some of us only read fluff.  The Intelligentsia of the thread are very nice to us!  

And some of us only read fluff.  The Intelligentsia of the thread are very nice to us!  

LOL I read mostly fluff.  Pretty much my deep reading is books my kids will be reading in school.  I read them so I can have an intelligent conversation about the books with them (Robinson Crusoe and Gulliver's Travels are books my 13 year old is reading/will be reading next).

Quick mini challenge for the week.   Ask your kiddos what fiction book they think you should read this week.  Mine just said Master and Commander  which I did start a while ago but then got sidetracked.  So putting it on the bed side stand to continue reading. 

The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan!  It comes out tomorrow and they're desperate for me to buy it when we're out of town. 

I remember when Great Girl, around middle school age, read Lord of the Flies.... I asked her what she thought, and she frowned and said, "Well that's what happens when you leave a bunch of boys on their own."

I finished Asylum by Madeleine Roux.  It was pretty good.  It's a YA novel and had some cussing and sex talk that you may want to know about if your kids want to read. :)

I am also reading Ancient Hunger by Arden Aoide, Gone Girl (put it down for a bit but it's about due at the library), Return of the King, Rascal by North, and The Mysterious Benedict Society.  So I need to get moving! I got into a slow reading funk after starting Gone Girl.  The last two I am reading with the kiddos. I have Rithmatist and World War Z sitting on my pile to get to next, too.  

I watched Mansfield Park (1999) with my kids yesterday.  I hadn't seen that adaptation and I realized it had been years since I've read it.  So I think after spooky books in October, I will be picking up Austen again.  However, I was a little mortified by the sex scene in Mansfield Park with my kids watching-nudity, thrusting, etc.  Oh.my.goodness.  I did not think that'd be in there, so I about died.  Heads up.  :lol:  We originally picked it because my oldest dd picked a Regency Riding Habit from the show to copy for a War of 1812 reenactment next month, so we wanted to see it in action and compare. 

I've been avoiding finishing Eye of the Dragon on audio in the car, so I think I'll finish Warbreaker even though it's not entirely kid appropriate.  They usually put headphones on for movies, anyway, and I can keep it up by me. 

42. Asylum

41. Maniac Magee

40. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Thank you everyone. : )

I just finished Mansfield Park (my favourite Jane Austen - it confirms that meek is not the same thing as weak AT ALL - grrrr) and some General Sector books (which I read when I am missing my son, since they are ship books) and I am now reading a Patricia Wrede(she wrote my beloved Dealing with Dragons series) and somebody else whose name I can't remember called The Grand Tour or The Purloined Coronation Regalia: Being a Revelation of Matters of High Confidentiality and Greatest Importance, Including Extracts from the Intimate Diary of a Noblewoman and the Sworn Testimony of a Lady of Quality (had to cut and paste that), which is the second in a series which I had never read before and turned out to be great fun.  When I read the first one, I thought perhaps I had jumped into the middle of the series by mistake, which was entirely possible because I had ordered all three in order to take on vacation, but it turned out that the book was the way it was because of the way it was written as a letter game.  I'd love to try this some time when I had gobs of free time.  It sounds like such fun.  I'm also reading Wind in the Willows for comfort, Graustark, which I haven't read for years, and Names for the Sea, which I made the mistake of reading a bit of to my husband and now can't finish without him.  We are listening to The Scarlet Pimpernel during car rides.

Has anyone read The 100 Year Old Man Who Jumped Out the Window and Disappeared?  That is a wacky bit of fluff that various family members just read and enjoyed and I'm wondering if we're the only people who have ever heard of it.

Nan

Has anyone read The 100 Year Old Man Who Jumped Out the Window and Disappeared?  That is a wacky bit of fluff that various family members just read and enjoyed and I'm wondering if we're the only people who have ever heard of it.

Nan

Just added this to my library list, Nan.  It looks delightful!

Just FYI: I'm still enjoying the story but it does have some "adult" elements.

Well, since I'm an adult and all that it should be okey dokey :lol:

When I was looking up some info based on reading The Debba, I came across the name of Mahmoud Darwish, who is considered one of the great Palestinian poets. My library has a collection of his work -- Unfortunately, It Was Paradise -- so I've (slowly) started it. Serious mind yoga here for me, as I find poetry hard to read, generally speaking. I usually find it more interesting to read the introductions or notes from the translator than the poetry itself. :tongue_smilie: :huh:

As an example, I enjoy the intros/notes from the translators because it includes info like this...

Hmm, I recall a possible agreement...or something to do with you reading poetry and me reading some surrealist works... :leaving:

Still treading water with life but I'm not drowning.  Yay!  Not completely overwhelmed!

Quick update before books - 

Situation normal ... 24 hours from complete crisis.

Amy, :grouphug:

Welcome, Nan!

And I am wondering why I have not read The Ivy Tree before?

Sending you and your family good thoughts, Amy.  Sounds like you are coping amazingly well!

Jane

Clearly you must read more Mary Stewart so I can vicariously enjoy your enjoyment.

(Hang in there. Hope you get a breather soon.)

I'm enjoying all the Mary Stewart enthusiasm!

Today I finished both 'Gemini' by Carol Casella and 'True Refuge' by Tara Brach which means I get to jump back into 'The Ivy Tree' where the plot thickens.

'Gemini' came to a satisfying and cleverly woven conclusion and it was a compelling read. The author has written a few other books dealing with the bio-medical ethics question but this one drew my eye. 'True Refuge' was a 'toggle back and forth between audio and written' read. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as her first book but it has provided much food for thought, things to turn over for a good, long while.

I hope that didn't sound patronizing, I know some people like to be warned. :-)

Not at all, OUAT. I appreciate your sensitivity even if my snarky self likes to come out to play occasionally :D

Keep treading, Amy! Keep treading! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Violet Crown, how is your husband doing today? Love Great Girl's comment about LotF. :smilielol5:

:seeya: Nan! I remember you from back when you posted more regularly. Great to see you on here! I may have to try that book just for the insanely long title alone! :lol:  And, yes, for sure someone on this thread read the 100 Year Old Man book. I definitely remember it being mentioned because it was one I was considering reading. Hmmm. Maybe it was Storm Bay? I can't remember who read it??? And Jane is right... This is the Thread. I love this group of completely awesome, amazing, fun, generous, & wonderful ladies.

Hmmm, shukriyya. I hadn't thought of that. But, now that you mention it, I did twist Angel's arm recently, so maybe it's your turn now??? muahaha-insert.gif.pagespeed.ce.bcGIfRp0

Mommymilkies, I think you'll like World War Z. (Harumph! I CANNOT believe that I'm reading a book of poetry instead of spooky October reading! What is wrong with me???)

LostSurprise, :hurray:  that you've got a functioning computer again & can get back here!

Onceuponatime, I've actually checked Deathless out of the library a couple of different times, but it somehow never makes it out of my library pile before the piles have to go back. I think I need to remedy that....

Kim in Appalachia, looking forward to your review of The Interestings. I've been wondering about it. And, thanks for the super-cool Terry Pratchett books chart. Gotta show that one to my ds too.

Thanks, Kareni, for the banned books link. Lol.

Mumto2, can't wait to hear your thoughts on Slaughterhouse-Five.

Negin, you are brave. I think I'd be way too scared to read The Hot Zone. Yikes!!!

There are charts about the discworld series.  I saved on on Pinterest, but on it, it say's it's sharable.  So I'm going to post it here.

6241b98e13e6be139a7f2f20a3d105d6.jpg

Btw, Kim, my ds loves, loves, loves this. Thanks again for posting it.

He counted & has read 28 of them. :thumbup1: (By comparison, I think I've read 9??? of them...?)

:grouphug:  Amy :grouphug:

Welcome, Nan!  How wonderful to see you here.  

I am reading at a snail's pace these days.  I am still reading  Moonstone  by Wilkie Collins.  I have also started Booked by Karen Swallow Prior--a book about books,  beautifully written. 

This has gone onto my tbr list.

Mine too! Thanks for posting that!

Nan

I've read it. it reminded me a lot of Forrest Gump. Fun read. :)

Did Mary Stewart write a book about a couple who could use telepathy to talk to each other but didn't know who the other person was?  I'm quite sure I've read some of hers.  I think she is one of my sister's comfort authors.  I know I read The Crystal Cave series when I was young and again 5 or 10 years ago.

Nan

PS - Thank you so much for the welcome, everyone!  It makes me feel all warm and cozy.  This is going to be such fun!

PPS - Hugs, Amy.

Did Mary Stewart write a book about a couple who could use telepathy to talk to each other but didn't know who the other person was? I'm quite sure I've read some of hers. I think she is one of my sister's comfort authors. I know I read The Crystal Cave series when I was young and again 5 or 10 years ago.

Nan

PS - Thank you so much for the welcome, everyone! It makes me feel all warm and cozy. This is going to be such fun!

PPS - Hugs, Amy.

She did. It isn't my favorite of hers, I don't like when she gets super mystical - Thornyhold is another like that. The one you're thinking of is Touch Not The Cat (http://ladydusk.blogspot.com/2010/01/book-review-touch-not-cat-by-mary.html)

Quote*And some of us only read fluff.  The Intelligentsia of the thread are very nice to us! *End Quote

Yep!  That would be me, too!  

Quote*The Mysterious Benedict Society.  

The last two I am reading with the kiddos. I have Rithmatist and World War Z sitting on my pile to get to next, too.  

I watched Mansfield Park (1999) with my kids yesterday.  I hadn't seen that adaptation and I realized it had been years since I've read it.  So I think after spooky books in October, I will be picking up Austen again.  However, I was a little mortified by the sex scene in Mansfield Park with my kids watching-nudity, thrusting, etc.  Oh.my.goodness.  I did not think that'd be in there, so I about died.  Heads up.  :lol:  We originally picked it because my oldest dd picked a Regency Riding Habit from the show to copy for a War of 1812 reenactment next month, so we wanted to see it in action and compare. *End Quote

Are you enjoying Mysterious Benedict Society?

I will be waiting to hear what you have to say on Rithmatist and World War Z.  Both of those are on my mental TBR pile.  I, surprisingly, loved the movie version of World War Z and have been considering reading it.  And I have yet to read a solo Brandon Sanderson, I've only read his writing as he finished Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.  

Oh, My!  You watched the WRONG Mansfield Park!   :eek:   That one is such a mess!  Miss Austen would be rolling over in her grave!  You need to watch the one with Billie Piper.  Mansfield Park is not my favorite Austen novel, but Skye really identifies with Fanny Price.  

Qutoe*I just finished Mansfield Park (my favourite Jane Austen - it confirms that meek is not the same thing as weak AT ALL - grrrr)

I am now reading a Patricia Wrede(she wrote my beloved Dealing with Dragons series) *End Quote

My older dd would agree with you!  Though I'm not sure it's her favorite Austen, I can't remember.  But like I said above, she really identifies with Fanny.  She  is a Fanny with Marianne tendencies.  I am a Marianne with Emma tendencies.  And we both have the naivete of Catherine Morland  :laugh:

Are you rereading Dealing with Dragons or is it a different Patrica Wrede.  We love the Dealing with Dragons series also!

And Jane is right... This is the Thread. I love this group of completely awesome, amazing, fun, generous, & wonderful ladies.

Hmmm, shukriyya. I hadn't thought of that. But, now that you mention it, I did twist Angel's arm recently, so maybe it's your turn now??? muahaha-insert.gif.pagespeed.ce.bcGIfRp0

Mommymilkies, I think you'll like World War Z. (Harumph! I CANNOT believe that I'm reading a book of poetry instead of spooky October reading! What is wrong with me???)

LostSurprise, :hurray:  that you've got a functioning computer again & can get back here!

Onceuponatime, I've actually checked Deathless out of the library a couple of different times, but it somehow never makes it out of my library pile before the piles have to go back. I think I need to remedy that....

Kim in Appalachia, looking forward to your review of The Interestings. I've been wondering about it. And, thanks for the super-cool Terry Pratchett books chart. Gotta show that one to my ds too.

Thanks, Kareni, for the banned books link. Lol.

Mumto2, can't wait to hear your thoughts on Slaughterhouse-Five.

Negin, you are brave. I think I'd be way too scared to read The Hot Zone. Yikes!!!

Yes, let's see some arm twisting ... though truly I needed very little twisting  ;)

I read it last year and really liked it.  I'm looking forward to reading it again. :)

Quote*And some of us only read fluff.  The Intelligentsia of the thread are very nice to us! *End Quote

Yep!  That would be me, too!  

Quote*The Mysterious Benedict Society.  

The last two I am reading with the kiddos. I have Rithmatist and World War Z sitting on my pile to get to next, too.  

I watched Mansfield Park (1999) with my kids yesterday.  I hadn't seen that adaptation and I realized it had been years since I've read it.  So I think after spooky books in October, I will be picking up Austen again.  However, I was a little mortified by the sex scene in Mansfield Park with my kids watching-nudity, thrusting, etc.  Oh.my.goodness.  I did not think that'd be in there, so I about died.  Heads up.  :lol:  We originally picked it because my oldest dd picked a Regency Riding Habit from the show to copy for a War of 1812 reenactment next month, so we wanted to see it in action and compare. *End Quote

Are you enjoying Mysterious Benedict Society?

I will be waiting to hear what you have to say on Rithmatist and World War Z.  Both of those are on my mental TBR pile.  I, surprisingly, loved the movie version of World War Z and have been considering reading it.  And I have yet to read a solo Brandon Sanderson, I've only read his writing as he finished Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.  

Oh, My!  You watched the WRONG Mansfield Park!   :eek:   That one is such a mess!  Miss Austen would be rolling over in her grave!  You need to watch the one with Billie Piper.  Mansfield Park is not my favorite Austen novel, but Skye really identifies with Fanny Price.  

I picked that one because it was on Netflix and had the dress we were eyeing to copy.  :lol:   Lesson learned!!!  Plus I like Billie Piper, so I'll find that one. 

I have actually read World War Z.  Last year?  I really liked it and I've been trying to get dh to read it.  I'm rereading it as part of my zombie/dystopian theme for the month. I actually liked the movie, too.  I mean, obviously it's very different than the book, but by itself it was actually pretty good. I haven't yet got to the end of Wheel of Time, but I love Brandon Sanderson.  He's an amazing author.  I think Rithmatist and Warbreaker (half through) are the only ones of his I haven't read, but the man writes so fast that I can barely keep up!  The Stormlight Archives are my favorite, though Elantris is a good starting point.  I was very impressed with Steelheart, too. That one can kind of be a stand-alone, though it makes sense in the Cosmere and he's planning more.  It's the only one so far that I've read in our "universe" in a way.  If you liked WoT, you'd love the Stormlight Archives. 

I am liking The Mysterious Benedict Society, but we're only like 3-4 chapters in and I'm still confused!

The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan!  It comes out tomorrow and they're desperate for me to buy it when we're out of town. 

James made me preorder it so will be here tomorrow.   I imagine everything will stop for a while since he's been so anxious to read it.

Hugs Amy.

Welcome Nan!   We're well balanced fluff! 

Shukriyya - Nine Coaches Waiting gets my vote.    It's been years but the story has stuck with me, but about all I can remember is that I enjoyed it. 

egads!  Edited to add have no idea where that thought about fluff  is going since I'm at work and getting distracted by phone calls.  Scratching my own head to figure out what I meant.

Okay Mary Stewart lovers, after I finish 'The Ivy Tree' I've got to choose between 'Nine Coaches Waiting' and 'Wildfire at Midnight' for my 5th 5/5 book. Which ever one I don't read I'll end up reading a bit later but of the two which do you prefer?

Wildfire at Midnight is one of my faves. I haven't yet read Nine Coaches Waiting.

Mansfield Park is my favorite Austen. I don't think either moviw adaptation is good. I, too, was watching the 1999 one when my 9 year old came into the room during that scene. Appalled is a mild word for how I felt ... Beyond being appalled that it was in the movie at all.

What a good day! One of my favorite posters, Nan in Mass , ventured into our thread ... Hi Nan! Welcome! ... And more people are loving Mary Stewart's gothics. Yayay!

I'm halfway through Why Mermaids Sing (St. Cyr #3) and enjoying it.

Hurry up lady!  Do you have book 4 on hold at your library yet?  I'm just dying to know what you think.

:grouphug:  Amy :grouphug:

Welcome, Nan!  How wonderful to see you here.  

I am reading at a snail's pace these days.  I am still reading  Moonstone  by Wilkie Collins.  I have also started Booked by Karen Swallow Prior--a book about books,  beautifully written. 

Have you read The Woman in White?  That is my favorite Wilkie Collins book.  I actually use the name of one of the characters in it as my alias when I don't want to give my real name.  

I finished The Graveyard Book today.  I'm heading to bed so I'll review tomorrow.  I will say that it made me tear up at the end.   :crying:

I cried at the end too.  And then DD made fun of me.  I don't know where she gets her cold hearted streak from.  Have you read anything else by Neil Gaiman?

I love the phrase "mind yoga".  I'm going to have to work that into a conversation this week.

Hurry up lady! Do you have book 4 on hold at your library yet? I'm just dying to know what you think.

I should finish tonight and have book 4 here on vacay with me. I just read the icky visit from Kat's aunt. Ick.

At least if true, the door is open for Hero. Ick.

Have you dipped your toes into that 23 page Ebola thread?  I can't look anymore.

Pam, I tried  :lol:. It was just too much for me also. I have to admit that once a thread gets longer than about 3 pages, I'm usually done, not always, but usually. 

Yes, I read it earlier this year. I gave it 2 Stars, but obviously many would disagree with me  :lol:. Here's my review in case anyone's interested. 

Just added this to my library list, Nan. It looks delightful!

Nan, I added it to my request list also. Thank you! :)

I hope that didn't sound patronizing, I know some people like to be warned. :-)

I definitely appreciate it, especially since I frequently find books here that are more the dc's style then mine. I love the fact that you all pre read them for me! :lol:

What a good day! One of my favorite posters, Nan in Mass , ventured into our thread ... Hi Nan! Welcome! ... And more people are loving Mary Stewart's gothics. Yayay!

I'm halfway through Why Mermaids Sing (St. Cyr #3) and enjoying it.

Glad you are enjoying the St. Cyr series, overall they are great but the ick bits are definitely there.

The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan! It comes out tomorrow and they're desperate for me to buy it when we're out of town.

Thanks for the reminder! I tried to request it a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't in the system yet. Today sucess!

There are charts about the discworld series. I saved on on Pinterest, but on it, it say's it's sharable. So I'm going to post it here.

6241b98e13e6be139a7f2f20a3d105d6.jpg

Your chart is wonderful per dd. Thank you very much. :) She is currently visiting Discworld....eta correction Rincewind???? You can tell I have no idea but she is enjoying herself!

Stacia, I missed your quote in my effort to get caught up with the conversation. Give me at least a week to get caught up with my library situation then I will read Slaughterhouse Five. Several hard cover books have holds (grrr) that I have been waiting to get my hands on like the Bone Clocks have arrived in the last week. I also thought I was really clever and requested the next book in several paranormal series I have been reading sporadically in honour of Spooky ..... These are quick reads for me but the overdrive account I did this with keeps filling up so I need to read one to check a new arrival out. They are coming in far quicker than anticipated from looking at the original hold list.

Good for you, Stacia!  I think that you'll be engaged by reading a poet whose work may touch the political.  

So many book titles float through this thread.  It fascinates me that some stay in some corner of consciousness while others quickly disappear as if swept away by the tide.  After picking up the latest Eggers book on Saturday, I did a search here on the boards knowing that someone had recently read this.  I couldn't find a mention but sometimes the search engine here seems moody.  Turns out that a real life friend was the one who recently read the book, telling me yesterday that it was a downer.  Be prepared.

Bunches of photos to share today from the delightful Ă„Å’eskĂƒÂ½ Krumlov, another UNESCO World Heritage Site.

15439600662_028d0860a3_z.jpg

Here is the main square with monument to victims of the Plague, a square that I mentioned before as noteworthy since it is where Hitler delivered a famous speech and where Soviet tanks drove in to make a point.  You will see something much happier in its recent use.

15253806147_0ed2b1bc83.jpg

Let's take a morning hike. There is a well marked loop around Ă„Å’eskĂƒÂ½ Krumlov, about a five mile walk.  We'll start by going over the moat and through the castle gates.

15259824538_ff89123cab_n.jpg

Through the formal gardens at the rear of the castle.

15259675489_9af2f8111d_n.jpg

Into the fields and woods adjacent to town:

15259939497_1a9a92e0ec_n.jpg

Into a residential neighborhood where one can peer into gardens (lots of flowers and fruit trees):

15259758289_8c0143cb97_n.jpg

Back into the fields and past an abandoned church and a series of abandoned Stations of the Cross:

15443375501_629845966b_n.jpg

And now we have returned to the old town along Rooseveltova Road (note the cobblestone street):

15259864470_40bf615167_n.jpg

And look!  There is a party going on for St. Wenceslas Day!

15446236212_24e7646a28_n.jpg

(More on the festival to come.)

(Feeling like a thread hog with all of my long posts!)

St. Wenceslas is the patron saint of the Czech Republic.  You may know him from the Christmas carol, "Good King Wenceslas", in which the king supplies a peasant with food and logs on St. Stephen's Day (12/26).  While the official national holiday for Wenceslas is September 28, the party began in Ă„Å’eskĂƒÂ½ Krumlov on Friday, September 26. 

The hike pictured above was on Saturday morning.  This is what greeted us when we turned into the town square:

15260424107_221acdeb67_n.jpg

15423906956_316f3b997f_n.jpg

The square was filled with people who were eating, drinking, enjoying the music, and buying locally made crafts.  Yes, this is the same square that was used for negative political purposes in the past and now is filled with joy and celebration.  (On more than one occasion your correspondent blinked back tears in her eyes.)

But the most amazing part of the festivities for us was watching the Procession of Mining and Metallurgy Towns of the Czech Republic, an organization that meets in Ă„Å’eskĂƒÂ½ Krumlov during the Wenceslas holiday.  The procession had representatives from all over the country.  There was singing, chanting, boisterous humor.  And of course we understood none of it but the sheer joy of fellow human beings.

There were brass instruments as well as guitars and accordions:

15260446818_be0951d0cb_n.jpg

Amazing regalia:

15260372139_8d0714385d_n.jpg

Colorful flags and pennants as well as medieval costumes (love the baby stroller):

15447451155_a76353ef21.jpg

And these guys were my favorite not only for the operatic quality of their voices but because of their call and response song that had everyone along the procession route in stitches:

15447315255_2d89e28220.jpg

One of the locals told us that Ă„Å’eskĂƒÂ½ Krumlov has a series of summer festivals catering to tourists, but Saint Wenceslas is their celebration, a chance to be with family and friends.  We were so fortunate to be swept into it.  This was one of the highlights of our trip.

Jane, thank you for the pictures! I especially liked looking at the walk. What European-looking woods lol.

ladydusk, why do you like Mansfield Park? Most people seem to hate it. And have you read Lady Susan? I love that one, too, and nobody seems ever even to have heard of it.

Negin, I'm off to read your review of 100 now. I really liked the writing and the whimsy (an elephant?) and the odd gentleness, and I have a very high tolerance for chaos lol, but it is truly a wacky book and I can see why someone might not like it. My Dad complained that it dragged a bit during the history bits. My Mum said she enjoyed those bits. We all liked the wording. It made us laugh out loud at times.

Nan

(Feeling like a thread hog with all of my long posts!)

No!  Please keep posting. I'm living vicariously through you.  It looks amazing!!

I almost finished Gone Girl last night.  I just wanted it over and stayed up too late.  But then the book kept dropping, so I have like one chapter to finish today. 

My kids downloaded Blood of Olympus from Audible.  I'm not sure I'll get anything else productive out of them today.  :lol: