Menu

Seriously considering a flu shot--I'm hearing flu is affecting healthy adults badly this yr.

HappyGrace

Best to give specific info, if your goal is people having information to make their own decisions.

I certainly want people to get good, accurate information when making healthcare decisions. I'm also certain I am not the source for that information. I was simply offering anecdotal evidence of an adverse reaction to a vaccine. The situation is still quite raw & painful for our family. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a thread about this topic about a week or so ago.  My dh is scared that if I get the flu that I might be one of those statistics because of  how ill I've been in the last month (throat closing repeatedly, infection that isn't getting better).  The doctor agreed that I should have the shot - but not now.  In his opinion I am too ill to be vaccinated at the moment.  I really think that discussing your individual situation with a doctor who knows your health history is a good strategy.  

While I agree it's scary to read the news stories of previously healthy people who have died from the flu, I think the media makes it sound like every year is worse than ever before.  Looking at the charts from the last several flu seasons, last year was by far the worst (though people >65 were the hardest hit last year).  This season *could* end up being really awful, but at this point, it's pretty normal.  I find the graphics on the CDC's FluView site helpful: http://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/FluHospChars.html  It shows there that so far this year, 13.7% of adults hospitalized with flu had no known underlying condition.  I wish the flu shot was extremely effective so it would be a clearer cut decision each year.  As it is, it's as important for people who get the flu shot to take precautions to avoid flu as it is for people who don't, since you never know if you're one the shot will be effective for or not.  It seems possible that people who don't have a protective immune response to the vaccine may be at a higher risk of having a hard time if infected with the flu virus itself than people whose immune systems mount a good, protective response to the vaccine.

I hate flu season, and am relieved every year when it's over. 

I had never seen that site. Interesting. Am I understanding correctly that they only track 13 states, and select counties in those states? I guess this is representative statistically, though, or not?

As you mentioned, I do see that there is a big difference in middle aged adults being hospitalized this so far year compared to previous years. The percent of hospitalized adults with no known previous conditions is also higher this year than the two previous years tracked. This lines up with what the news is reporting--that more healthy adults are being affected.

I wish they had 2009, when h1n1 was also the primary infection. I wonder if the age breakdown and conditions stats were similar. edited to add: oh, you can compare to 2009 and it does look similar statistically. This site is very interesting!

Well, I think we've decided...my mommy gut is saying to get it this year. I've never had a flu shot, nor has my family. But what it comes down to is this, for me. We have had 3 deaths in a nearby county, one that we visit weekly. 3 deaths from flu. And no deaths from the vaccine. So...there we go.

I'll share a scary, but none the less true, story about the flu shot. My cousin's husband is active duty Air Force & is required to get a flu shot every year. This year, about 48 hrs after receiving the flu mist version of the vaccine, he was in a coma. ALL, and I mean ALL, testing was done. The results were that it was the flu vaccine that caused his Adult Disseminated Encephalomyelitis. The Surgeon General is involved with his case.

I haven't had a flu shot in over 10 yrs. I've had the flu once in that 10 yr period. For me, 5 days of feeling crappy are better than a lifetime of disability.

Not to make light of that, but I've known a couple people, personally, who have died of the flu.

Anecdotal evidence, however, is not something to base a decision on if there are good, population-wide statistics available that weigh the various risks.

And then there's this article, not about the flu vaccine in particular, but still interesting if one wants to toss anecdotes around:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2014/01/growing_up_unvaccinated_a_healthy_lifestyle_couldn_t_prevent_many_childhood.html

"I am the ’70s child of a health nut. I wasn’t vaccinated. I was brought up on an incredibly healthy diet: no sugar till I was 1, breastfed for over a year, organic homegrown vegetables, raw milk, no MSG, no additives, no aspartame. My mother used homeopathy, aromatherapy, osteopathy; we took daily supplements of vitamin C, echinacea, cod liver oil.

I had an outdoor lifestyle; I grew up next to a farm in England’s Lake District, walked everywhere, did sports and danced twice a week, drank plenty of water...

As healthy as my lifestyle seemed, I contracted measles, mumps, rubella, a type of viral meningitis, scarlatina, whooping cough, yearly tonsillitis, and chickenpox....

So the anti-vaccine advocates’ fears of having the “natural immunity sterilized out of us†just doesn’t cut it for me. How could I, with my idyllic childhood and my amazing health food, get so freaking ill all the time?"

As for selecting which vaccine to get - it really isn't all that difficult nor does one need to do extensive reading before heading in to your doctor's office.  Generally speaking, most doctors offices will have you fill out a questionnaire form prior to being vaccinated.  On it they'll ask you about past reactions, egg allergy, GBS, etc.  There will be a separate section about the mist.  At that point the nurse will review the form and present you with your options.  So, yes, while you can read up beforehand, your doctor is still your best resource as they know you and your medical history.

When a child is under a year and they nearly die from a reaction to their first MMR, there is no history to go on. It's too young for most people to know that their child may have issues with various ingredients and too early to diagnose various health issues that exist, but that combined with a vaccine will trigger a deadly reaction.

When a child is under a year and they nearly die from a reaction to their first MMR, there is no history to go on. It's too young for most people to know that their child may have issues with various ingredients and too early to diagnose various health issues that exist, but that combined with a vaccine will trigger a deadly reaction.

I thought we were talking about the flu shot here - and how the flu affects healthy adults?  :confused:

You're welcome.  That was the case (obesity) in 2009-10 with H1N1 as well.  Of course, of all those conditions, obesity is likely the most common condition, but I think it's helpful in decision making to know that it is a relevant factor.

Looking at the data from prior to 2009-10, it makes me wonder if there were just a lot fewer counties participating, as the graphs of the number of cases (upper left) from prior years are never anything like what we see for the last 5 years, though 2011-12 is a very chill year.  I don't know if 4 of the last 5 flu season have been that much more active than the previous 5, or if it just looks that way due to increased reporting.  You can click through from this site to data specific for your area as well.  Different data, but still another source of information.

I'm confused.  I went back to look at this chart again.  I can't find where it says H1N1. I thought it was a completely different strain from A or B.   

One of the things that made me check it out is that the NPR was reporting yesterday that this season was reaching porportions that they saw in '09....the last really bad season.  But looking at this data - it was REALLY bad last flu season.   But, again, it doesn't seem to include h1n1.  So maybe the radio was talking only about that and this chart only shows A & B. 

Can someone help me with this?  Perhaps I'm not looking at the right thing or something.

My thoughts on flu vaccines have changed since my athletic healthy dh had a heart attack.  He had H1N1 two years before his heart attack.  Related ?, I don't know.  We don't know any other reasons.  I saw a new report last year with some correlations between flu and inflammation --->heart disease.  Maybe.

I'm confused.  I went back to look at this chart again.  I can't find where it says H1N1. I thought it was a completely different strain from A or B.   

One of the things that made me check it out is that the NPR was reporting yesterday that this season was reaching porportions that they saw in '09....the last really bad season.  But looking at this data - it was REALLY bad last flu season.   But, again, it doesn't seem to include h1n1.  So maybe the radio was talking only about that and this chart only shows A & B. 

Can someone help me with this?  Perhaps I'm not looking at the right thing or something.

Yes, H1N1 is an influenza A strain. The worst recent season in our area, in total flu related deaths, was 2007/2008 by quite a bit. The majority of those deaths are the young and old. The thing about 2009, and H1N1 dominated seasons generally, is that it affects a different population (healthy adults) more than in other seasons. They aren't necessarily more severe seasons, though, in terms of total infected or total deaths.

My thoughts on flu vaccines have changed since my athletic healthy dh had a heart attack.  He had H1N1 two years before his heart attack.  Related ?, I don't know.  We don't know any other reasons.  I saw a new report last year with some correlations between flu and inflammation --->heart disease.  Maybe.

Influenza can increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes, at least within the flu season itself. I've seen that vaccinated people have lower rates of heart events in flu seasons. I recently read a study recently that saw a huge increase (something like 70%/I didn't look it up so that may not be quite right) in heart disease in those who have shingles before the age 40. There was a smaller increase in those who get it after 40. They believe this to be an inflammation link as well.

It's the same here. Reports were that last flu season was the worst in a decade in my state. So, when I look at the charts and graphs, this year doesn't look that bad. They're reporting it's really bad in a few counties this year but that it decreasing or plateauing already in many others.

I am just getting over the flu, it's going on two weeks for me and I'm still a little weak and still have some junk in my head. I did get a flu shot this year, in October. According to the dr I saw, they discovered another strain after formulating the flu shot and I had recieved the one without this strain.

This fall we decided we would get flu shots this year because we were spending time daily either in a nursing home or hospital visiting my MIL. The kids and I got our shot, but dh never got around to it.

Well, just before Christmas dh suddenly became ill and spent three full weeks in the hospital including a major surgery. He's only left the house once in the week that he's been home and it was to go get a flu shot before his follow-up appointment with the surgeon. At this point I'm afraid that even a mild case of the flu would land him straight back into the hospital.

This fall we decided we would get flu shots this year because we were spending time daily either in a nursing home or hospital visiting my MIL. The kids and I got our shot, but dh never got around to it.

Well, just before Christmas dh suddenly became ill and spent three full weeks in the hospital including a major surgery. He's only left the house once in the week that he's been home and it was to go get a flu shot before his follow-up appointment with the surgeon. At this point I'm afraid that even a mild case of the flu would land him straight back into the hospital.

Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope your dh makes a full recovery.

May things go well with his recovery!  :grouphug: