Menu

I need some new ideas for Christmas Eve

Mommyfaithe

My kids are all gathering here for Christmas eve. This year our tree will be very sparse....a few toys for the boys and some small trinkets for the older kids. I want to do some fun, new things....not focused on opening gifts and eating crummy sugar filled foods. I would like to come up with some new traditions....something that focuses our attention on Jesus, on our family, and on helping others.....

This year I began with a promise that I would work on getting healthy....that I would de-junk, de-clutter, minimalise our stress...etc, And I have done really well thus far.....now that Christmas is coming, I do not want an excuse to fall into bad old habits just out of tradition.

So, please share any ideas that I can carry out with my family....nothing emotional or digging into each others feelings....( we all HATE that). Something fun....and that will leave a feeling of love, closeness and hopefully can become tradition.

Faithe

Church as a family

working on a large family puzzle (maybe a puzzle of something that has meaning to you)

Game night

Make treats or ornaments or something to take and share at a nursing home...this would be especially nice for those residents that don't have family to come visit them.

Nice family meal

Host a dinner or dessert for friends in the area that are alone for the holidays

A very dear friend of mine grew up with a tradition for acting out the Christmas story on Christmas Eve with her family. She has fond memories of this activity.

My dh grew up watching a Christmas movie together, followed by game time (board games, cards, etc.). This is what we do with our kids now, as well as having a birthday cake for Jesus.

We go to our church's Christmas Eve service then go home to decorate Christmas cookies. The cookie decorating is a tradition from dh's youth. His mom made these cookies (replacing the lemon with anise) only once a year and it was a big deal to decorate them with different colored icings (just powdered sugar and water) . My dc have enjoyed doing this over the years.

We always have a picnic in the living room and watch Christmas movies then read the Christmas story and "Twas the Night before Christmas" then put the kids in bed. If we were church-people, we'd would go to the Christmas Eve service first then do the same things. We don't focus our night around food or stuff.

after dinner, we have made a tradition of reading of the christmas story. dd wants to actually have costumes this year. I think dudeling with like that. I told him we'd wrap up one of the girls baby dolls (which I still have) as baby Jesus. he said we needed a manger so he's helping me put one together. maybe an old white sheet so the baby can be "swaddled".

It isn't too late to start, but I've heard of one who when people do an act of service/kindness they write it down and put the piece of paper as the straw in the manger. better for little kids than adults.

after reading the christmas story, we sing religious carols. the one quirk is ending with silent night - in german. dh had spent time in austria, and the hymn itself has quite the tradition there. the english translation isn't quite as intimate as the german. (and some of the translations I've found online are to be taken with many grains of salt.)

We always have a picnic in the living room and watch Christmas movies then read the Christmas story and "Twas the Night before Christmas" then put the kids in bed. If we were church-people, we'd would go to the Christmas Eve service first then do the same things. We don't focus our night around food or stuff.

We are not a church family...though we are Christians. I love these ideas!

I spoke with the kids this morning and they want to send hand print greetings to the families in Newton CT.....and then dh and I will present the kids with a list of charities and let them help us decide where to send some offerings.

What are some of your favorite Christmas movies?????

I love 'twas the Night before Christmas!!!

Hmmmmmm......

We always watch Holiday Inn, which is my favorite Christmas movie ever, even though it covers more than just Christmas. Still, it's Bing Crosby at his finest and the first movie White Christmas was ever sung in. We usually watch it after Indy (and now Han Solo) goes to bed, but there's no reason you can't watch it with yours. We also watch The Bells of St. Mary (I'm a big Bing Crosby fan!), which again is not strictly a Christmas movie, but ends at Christmas and is beautiful. James Bond and I tear up every single time, even though we've watched it every year for about 10 years. JB says if you don't cry at the end, you're dead inside. :crying:

Other, more Christmas-y movies we like are Elf, Christmas Story and of course the classic claymation cartoons. While we're not Christian, Nester the Long Eared Donkey is my hands down favorite. When I was a kid, there was one part that made me weep so badly my mom quit letting me watch it when it came on. We bought it several years ago and I still weep in the same spot. I'm such a wimp.

We read "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" and "The Nutcracker." Then DS helps me set up the manger set my dad made, and then we put our stockings in front of the fireplace (including little ones DH made for the cats). Oh, and we still do cookies for Santa and oats for the reindeer, even though those "true believer" days are long gone.

We do a birthday cake or cupcakes for Jesus' birthday (although on Christmas Day). You could prepare a cake together to share on Christmas Day. We do a dark chocolate cake to symbolize our sins, white frosting for Jesus forgiving/covering our sins, and red candles on the cake for Him shedding His blood.

When I was a kid, we also had connections to things my dad and mom had done as Christmas traditions when they were kids. For example, my dad's family always had skinless sausages from the local butcher. So we did that as kids too.

Erica in OR

We host a caroling night in our front yard. We light a fire in the portable fire pit, some people bring snacks to share, my dh makes hot beverages (both adult and kid-friendly), and we all sing around the fire. Neighbors and friends and anyone who happens to be driving by stop in and sing. We've been doing it for 10 years now.

I knew a family that had a lot of fun acting out the Christmas story. They liked when the boys got older because then they could take turns playing the donkey and the dad wouldn't have to do it every year. :) I was thinking today that we might try that this year.

We do a birthday cake or cupcakes for Jesus' birthday (although on Christmas Day). You could prepare a cake together to share on Christmas Day. We do a dark chocolate cake to symbolize our sins, white frosting for Jesus forgiving/covering our sins, and red candles on the cake for Him shedding His blood.

One church we attended had a birthday party for Jesus during Sunday School the Sunday before Christmas. I always thought that was a little hokey but I like how you do a cake and that it has meaning. We might do that for dessert after our Christmas Eve dinner. Growing up, we always had a nice, candlelit dinner. I still do that with my family.

We host a caroling night in our front yard. We light a fire in the portable fire pit, some people bring snacks to share, my dh makes hot beverages (both adult and kid-friendly), and we all sing around the fire. Neighbors and friends and anyone who happens to be driving by stop in and sing. We've been doing it for 10 years now.

I LOVE this idea, I am stealing it. We have a large fire pit and live in the country so it would be perfect for friends, family, neighbors!

My greatest memory of family closeness was playing pictionary with all my siblings and their spouses. I remember seeing my mom enjoying the togetherness as she watched us from the corner of the room. Now that I have my own family we play yahtzee, uno, Would You Rather, and other games as a family. Makes for good togetherness time and memories that last a lifetime. We also watch a movie like A Christmas Story on Christmas Eve and I bring out a big plate of cookies, bowls of popcorn.

Our family has a tradition of Christmas Eve performances - everyone must do *something* - it could be elaborate like a prepared play or a rehearsed instrumental performance, or quickly prepared beforehand like singing different lyrics to something, or just really easy like reading a Christmas passage from a book or poem or the Bible.

When we married, we adopted one tradition DH's family always does on Christmas Eve. They have a big fondue feast which takes hours to eat...a slow meal with lots of conversation and music, maybe some card games, always making space for friends and neighbors to stop by.

His family also does a tree with REAL CANDLES :eek: that are lit only during this feast, which is very special, but I can't handle that much open flame. The few times I've been there to witness this I'm a wreck with nervousness about all those candles. But, putting out spontaneous tree fires on Christmas Eve does encourage family bonding!

Several years, we've held a Candle Nativity devotional at home. Using music on CD and different candles to represent each person, here's the service:

Sing: Joy to the World or Oh Come all Ye Faithful

Light: Mary and Joseph candles

Read: Luke 2:1, 4, 5

Sing: Oh Little Town of Bethlehem

Light: Jesus candle

Read: Luke 2:6-7

Sing: Away in a Manger

Light: Shepherd candles

Read: Luke 2:8

Light: Tallest Angel candle

Read: Luke 2:9-14

Light: Other angel candles

Sing: Hark the Herold Angels Sing

Read: Luke 2:15-17

Sing: The First Noel

Light: Wise men candle

Read: Matthew 2:1, 2, 9, 11

Sing: We Three Kings

Read Matthew 2:12

Snuff out wise men candles

Read Luke 2:20

Snuff out shepherd candles

Read Luke 2:15 "and the angels were gone"

Snuff out angel candlels

Read "And many years later, Mary and Joseph passed away."

Snuff out Mary and Joseph candles.

Read: "But the light that began in Bethlehem was Eternal LIfe, the Light of all mankind. The Light still shines in the darkness and the darkness has never overcome the light."

Sing: Silent Night

We have done the candle nativity. We used a light blue candle for Mary and a dark blue one for Joseph. The baby jesus candle was a small gold candle. The shepherds were green candles of various sizes and the angels were white candles of various sizes. The three wise men were three purple candles. It was very beautiful.