Menu

Have you been to see a urologist? If you haven't that would be your first step.

My daughter has the same problem ( she's only 5 by the way but has lots of urological issues) and she will be having a surgery to repair her bladderneck along with a sling. This can help with urinary incontinence. No one should have to suffer with it. Go see a urologist.

Uti's can also cause urinary leakage as well. As well as constipation.

I have been taking a water aerobics class at the Y lately (just once a week) and we have been doing a lot of "jump squats" and the first week I had to leave the pool in the middle to PEE (and had JUST gone before the class) but not since..............and I have noticed that the "dribbles" have really decreased.

Not sure if it was the exercise class as we also do a lot of other core exercises or if it was me mostly giving up pop (I get 1 a week and/or with pizza instead of my used to be daily 1-3)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I just read this. Can't remember where. It makes sense to me. Magnesium is a fantastic mineral, which most of us are deficient in anyway.

Magnesium, an important mineral for proper muscle and nerve function, may ease incontinent worries.

In a small study at Tel Aviv University in Israel, more than half of the 40 women who took magnesium pills twice a day had improvements in their urinary incontinence, and did not wake up as many times in the night to go to the bathroom.

Some doctors believe that magnesium could relieve incontinence because it reduces bladder muscle spasms and allows the bladder to empty completely.

For most people on a healthy diet, 400 mg of Magnesium daily should be sufficient. But for those who have symptoms of deficiency (and most of us are deficient), I have read that we need more, but probably no more than 1200 mg. Add in more magnesium gradually. Your body knows how much it can handle according to how much your bowels can tolerate. The stools should feel soft, but not excessively loose.

Take in divided doses and with meals to ensure optimal absorption – preferably more at night

I have read that it’s preferable to not take magnesium at the same time as calcium. Others say that it’s fine. This is where I am confused. I think the former makes more sense.

The most absorbable forms are:

Magnesium Citrate

Magnesium Glycinate

Magnesium Taurate

Magnesium Aspartate

Magnesium Malate

Magnesium Succinate

Magnesium Fumirate

Avoid:

Magnesium Oxide

Magnesium Carbonate

Magnesium Gluconate

Magnesium Sulfate

These are not absorbed well and are the cheapest forms

Side effects from too much magnesium include diarrhea, which can be avoided if you switch to Magnesium Glycinate.

People with kidney disease or severe heart disease should take magnesium only under a doctor's supervision.

NATURAL SOURCES

Almonds

Avocado

Barley

Beans

Brazil nuts

Brown rice

Buckwheat

Dark Chocolate

Dates

Figs

Garlic

Greens (including Collard Greens and Dandelion Greens)

Kelp

Molasses

Millet

Parsley

Pecans

Rye

Sea vegetables (seaweed and kelp – but make sure they come from non-polluted waters and are high-quality)

Shrimp

Walnuts

Whole Grains

Wheat bran

Wheat germ

I have something to add - I react badly to aspartame. I realized I was chewing gum every day that contained it. I stopped the gum. Things have improved a lot !!! I limit my caffeine, have no aspartame at all, use SLS free soap, do not overhydrate myself, and do squats multiple times every day. This is what has worked for me.

Another vote for Pilates. (I had the jumping jacks problem too!)

Just know that this IS a solvable problem! Talk to your doctor (or multiple doctors) and you can get started on the path to a solution.

:iagree:

Pilates! Really tones that pelvic floor.

After baby #5 I couldn't exercise without *ahem* running to the bathroom every few seconds. 2 years later, Pilates and really focusing on strengthening my pelvic muscles and I'm pretty much back to normal. ;)

The only thing that ever helped me was lots of teA time with dh.

When my prime hit and we have teA 1-3 times/day that problem went AWAY. Went AWAY, I'm telling you! I mentioned it to a friend who is a Dr and she said,"Well, that makes sense since 0rga$ms are really just a good workout for your muscles and you've been working out a LOT!" :lol:

So, yeah, teA. Lots and lots of teA. ;)

not reading the entire thing, but i think its funny cuz every time I see the post title, i start doing kegels!

Kegels for 1 day wont help. You have to commit to doing it every day. Any time i have some trouble, i start doing keggles religously . .for a few months.

also, i've read that its more effective to do them in a squatting position, so you are actually strengthening the right muscles.

but really, kegel is squeezing a muscle - you cant say "why am i week if i worked out yesterday" . . . you have to work out for a long time to get an effect

but if you have blood, you need a doctor for sure

The only thing that ever helped me was lots of teA time with dh.

0rga$ms are really just a good workout for your muscles and you've been working out a LOT!"

Okay, this is going to sound quite awkward :blushing:. I've been thinking about this, so please bear with me.

Is it the actual teA time, that is, pene@ration/inter@ourse OR is it having an 0rga$m? I mean, after all, one can certainly have the latter without the former. Just wondering.

It really depends on how you are reacting. The whole idea is that there are muscles attached to your vaginal walls which also help keep your bladder shut, right? If you are really enjoying yourself, you probably are 'squeezing' around your dh. and during orgasm you usually will do a lot of 'squeezing' without even trying. If you are just laying there waiting for him to get over and not enjoying it, you probably are not using your muscles much (aside from relaxing them). So thats probably not a good workout.

The only instruction i've heard of for learning to do kegels is to go to the bathroom and practice stopping mid-flow. those are the muscles you need to exercise.

Okay, this is going to sound quite awkward :blushing:. I've been thinking about this, so please bear with me.

Is it the actual teA time, that is, pene@ration/inter@ourse OR is it having an 0rga$m? I mean, after all, one can certainly have the latter without the former. Just wondering.

I think it is both, due to the squeezing of him during penetr@tion, kwim? ;)

:iagree: I heard a very interesting program on NPR a year or two ago with a women's health physiologist about this. Wish I could remember who it was...

I didn't go back through the thread, but I think she was mentioned upthread. (I'm subscribed to this thread so I'm getting these updates like a blast from the past; and I think it's the thread where I found out about whats-her-name who has a website and DVDs and all, and puts out HUGE amounts of info on incontinence issues, and why kegels don't really help.)

EDITED: Okay, it's on page 2, a post by momoflaw:

http://mamasweat.blogspot.com/2010/05/pelvic-floor-party-kegels-are-not.html

Edited by GailV