Menu

Anyone have bad experience with "Activia" yogurt?

I should KNOW better! I used to make my own yogurt so I understand about the qualities of bacteria...some are better than others!

I took my doc's advice after a course of STRONG antibiotics (3rd in 6 weeks) for a persistent sinus infection), and got some Activia yogurt. I've been taking the Activia for about a week now, and have had horrible stomach cramps every morning for several hours after eating the little cup with some granola for breakfast. I just put two and two together, did a Google search, and found that LOTS of people who do the Activia thing have horrible cramps and other ahem, problems. I can't leave home for at least an hour after I eat it, and even then it's sketchy whether I should or not.

So this is my question: now that I've thrown out the rest of the Activia, how do I get my stomach BACK into good shape? Which type of yogurt, kefir or probiotic pill would you recommend? Will it help get rid of the cramps or will that just take time? Anyone else with similar Activia experience?

Bless your heart! I take both a potent pro-biotic (professional strength from Hallelujah Acres, and my dh takes PB8 from the health food store) and drink a nice cup of Lifeway Kefir (strawberry) each morning before breakfast. That granola might be aggravating the problem since starchy carbs turn to sugar which turns to gas in the digestive track. Hope you feel better soon!

Ginger

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to thank you so much for mentioning this. I used to buy Activia for my ds who tends to have digestive/gastrointestinal issues. For awhile he was feeling sick everyday, and we just couldn't figure out what the culprit was. This very well could have been it! I hadn't bought it for awhile just because other brands had been on sale for a better price, but now I'll know to avoid it. Thanks.

because they are recommended by Andrew Weil as guaranteeing that the cultures are actually live, and that they are formulated such that they make it to the intestines still live.

I am going to third the Culturell. That what we take and it makes a huge, noticable difference. It is very expensive though. You can get it at Walmart in the digestive aids department.

Absorbaid is a great digestive enzyme. Plus , Juice Plus has digestive enzymes in it along w/all the other great stuff.

I had no problem w/Activia and my tummy is pretty sensitive. Maybe because I was taking the Absorbaid , Juice Plus and Aloe Vera Juice. That cocktail helped.

:iagree: I just couldn't bring myself to eat it. I stick with my homemade (or favorite store bought) and sprinkle one acidophilus pill on it if I need a boost.

I bought some once but couldn't get past the smell. It stunk like pooties.

Barb

I guess I'm in the minority here, but when Activia first came out, my father was having some digestive issues, and the Activia really worked for him -- and within 2 weeks, just like they said in the commercials.

When I tried it, it worked for me, too -- although I got pretty sick of the taste after a while. (I preferred the Vanilla and the Peach, in case anyone can't live without that valuable tidbit of information.) Fortunately, it wasn't too much of a nuisance to eat it, because the serving size is so tiny. I never ate it on an empty stomach, though, because if I eat any kind of yogurt without other food, I feel as sick as a dog from it.

I'm drinking that DanActive stuff now, again because it's supposed to be pretty good for me, yet comes in a tiny little bottle so I can suck it down really quickly.

This getting healthy stuff is no day at the beach, you know. :glare:;)

Cat