Menu

For those of you who think exercise/fitness is important for our children...

We got out kids a Wii for Christmas. They rotate from using Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit. They love it to the extent that I had to set a 20 minute time limit for them on school mornings. It's really helping them be stronger and more active.

Ginger

For us, its a natural kind of thing. My kids love to be outside. In warm weather, its bike riding, skipping, running amok, badminton, volleyball, soccer, baseball, swimming...you name it, they're into it. Not organized sports per say, just pick up games, plus playing at the park.

In the winter, its toboganning, snowball fights, skating, dance mat, excercise videos...

I don't personally think it has to be a planned or organized event to be excise or fitness.

I think that at those ages outdoor play is great.

Each summer I make sure we have plenty of things for them to do. Some of their favorites were:

Bikes

Scooters

(roller blades when they were popular)

Skateboards

Small traffic cones for games (goal lines, bike obstacle course etc)

Bandannas for flag football types of games

Many balls of various sizes/styles

A vast array of Super Soaker Styles of squirt guns

Hollow plastic bats and waffle balls

Buckets for games

When my oldest were little (time to buy again for dd2):

Lots of Tonka Trucks

Little Tykes scooter cars/ride ons

T-ball stand

We worked hard to keep our grass really nice and fluffy for the kids to play in. Our house has always been the hang out for the kids and I really think it is because they know they can find something to do just by digging through the big box of outdoor toys.

Well, as far as what previous posters said, I think it depends on the child and the neighborhood as far as if it needs to be "planned".

I have DS6, who is naturally active, has lots of boys his age in our neighborhood, runs out the door when the school kids get home, and doesn't come in until dinner, usually. He is always on the move and rarely sits down. He participates in Karate currently, as a form of group "exercise" if you will. I don't necessarily "plan" any sort of exercise for him at this point.

Then I have DS10, who is naturally a couch potato kind of kid. Just is, that's just him. There are only 1-2 boys his age in our neighborhood, all of whom are either too busy with their activities or just in the house, so they all might see each other outside in the cul-de-sac maybe once a week or so. So in his mind "there is nothing to do outside". He does participate in HS P.E. once a week via City Rec department, and he loves that. He also participates in sports, different depending on the season. He just got done with baseball, in the middle of flag football and golf lessons, will do Tackle Football in the fall...so it rotates on the season, and he loves these things. BUT that being said, I DO require him to do an exercise program at home. He is a bit overweight, and loves to eat. If I did not have him exercising, and limit his portions, his weight could really get out of control.

Here is what we do: He can either run one mile or do 20 minutes on the Elliptical...this is almost daily. This is his aerobic.

He also does our Total Gym 4 times a week. This is his strength training.

These are a scheduled part of his day, required to be done in order to earn his "free time". He has lofty aspirations for a career in Athletics. He has the natural abilities, but we are also trying to teach him that you have to work to reach your goals. NFL players don't just walk onto the field on game day and start playing. They train all week and off-season. Not to say that we are pushing for a NFL player here, just saying it's about setting a goal and working for it. Sometimes it's hard work and not always fun.

I am hoping to get the Wii soon, so will use that as exercise as well, with the Wii Fit.

But for a child like this, we almost have to schedule exercise otherwise he wouldn't do it.

We go for walks. When my baby was really a baby, he napped in the stroller.

Usually I send them outside to play and they make their own exercise. We set up a badminton net in the back yard, and we've got a soccer ball, baseball and bat, basketball and hoop, shovels and rakes, trees....

We do karate and swimming or gymnastics classes. Those activities are more for skill development and social reasons than exercise, but they do practice the karate and gymnastics at home, often while they're playing in the back yard.

Cat

Dd does gymnastics, both kids played spring soccer, and ds will be playing t-ball this summer, but most of their exercise comes from just playing outside. They have a soccer ball which they like to kick around the yard and use to play soccer games with neighbor kids. They have a big fabric frisbee, bikes to ride, a swing set, and a t-ball set. They sometimes run races or play tag. They like to play Mother May I. We got tennis rackets and balls last summer. This spring they have enjoyed practicing serving balls in our yard. I have taken them to the community courts to hit balls a few times already and we'll probably be there a lot as the spring and summer progress. I've thought about hiring someone to give us lessons. In the summer they love to go swimming.

When I was young I loved basketball. We had a basketball hoop in our driveway, and I would spend hours in the spring and summer just practicing by myself or playing pickup games with my siblings and neighbors.

It's difficult when you have little ones to consider.

My dss, ages 10 and 12, both swim twice per week at the YMCA with a club called Swim Fit. They also both practice Aikido along with my dh. Three morning per week, we run 2 or 3 miles together. Periodically, they participate in other sports class usually via the YMCA.

Your little ones won't always nap at the same time. Schedules change. Until then, how about the Wii Fit or some other type of exercise video?

I think for most kids, just getting out the door and playing is good exercise, provided the weather is appropriate!

But, I have one ds who is an academic through and through. He would MUCH rather sit and read or build his rockets. I have to kick him out the door. When I look out and see what he's doing, he's usually sitting on the swing. He's just not an active kid. He's in karate, baseball, fencing and rowing, so he gets exercise.

However, next year, I am going to add physical fitness to his schedule. He will be required to do a 1/2 hour workout video or run or ride his bike, etc each day.

Mine have a scheduled time outside every day after lunch. Our weather rarely prevents us from being outside. We have a Wii game we play on the occasional rainy day. Water play works on the really hot ones. We also try to bike every evening after dinner. Everyone in the house knows it's outside after lunch and biking after dinner. We frequently hike on the weekends.

I tried some of the homeschool fitness books/curricula but none of that really worked for us. My goal is that the boys develop a habit of being physically active that will last into adult hood. In that sense, a typical gym class doesn't really foot the bill as well as swimming, hiking and biking.

• 2 weeks later...

When my littles are napping, I send the big kids out back. We have a big yard, bikes, a swingset, etc.

Ds1 takes taekwondo and is also doing swimming lessons right now because he wants to learn to swim before summer camp.

All of the kids (except the 1yo) have gymnastics on Tuesdays from 10-11. The gym didn't have a class that worked for us, so I set one up for my kids, the kids I babysit and a friend's kids. Don't underestimate what you can talk businesses into.

Not all of us live in Florida... LOL!

Trust me... when the temperature is sub-zero and the wind chill is -47*F (as we had this past winter)... you can't send the kids outside. :lol:

Wow!

Do you get cabin fever in the winter?

When we lived in Ohio, we had a tiny place and a longer winter than most places we have lived, I would bundle up the kids if it got over 40 degrees. Other places, I generally don't go to the park unless it's 60 degrees. (There is some playing in the yard at below 40 and 60 degrees, but no extended time with me sitting at the park.)

What happened to kids 'going outside to play'.....for exercise? I can't imagine kids needing a 'gym' for exercise.... All you need is a 'yard', LOL.

:iagree:

We live in the NW and my kids are outside pretty much everyday, jumping on the trampoline, riding bikes, digging in the garden (I wish they would pull a few weeds)

They also have swimming a couple of times a week.

I'll write first about when my boys were little, your kids age. We belonged to the Y and have for years. Friday night was family swim time, every Friday night, at the Y.

Our local ice skating rink had FREE skate time for homeschoolers from 10 - 12 every day. It was on our schedule to go every Thursday, and we did.

We did walks late in the day, 2-3 miles. The boys were on soccer teams with practice one night a week and a game on the weekend.

Push-ups, jumping jacks, sit-ups and running up and down the basement stairs were a daily activity. Summer times meant long bike rides (20 - 30 miles), long mountain hikes, and more bike rides. I made sure that exercise was just something that we always did, not an extra, extra.

Fast forward 10 years (and they do go by way, way too fast) The boys seek daily exercise, they are active on a Inline Speed Team and in fact we are Regional competition right now. We walk the dogs daily and they don't even count that as exercise! Biking, skating, bowling, going to the Y for a work-out are parts of their lives.

Gotta run! We must be at the rink by 6am, a late start. Normally on a competition day we have to be there at 5am.

Carole

My boys just play outside -- they ride bikes, scooter, run and play ball. They swing and climb their fort. I have never felt the need to implement a program with them. Our eldest played baseball when he was younger for years, and then he took up running in his teen years, and for the last year he has been taking thai boxing.

They play less outside in the dead of summer because of the mosquitoes and the extreme heat, but then they go jetskiing and swimming.

All of my children have been big on playing outdoors - and all three are boys. All the boys in this neighborhood play outside a lot and it's been great because my children have gotten a lot of exposure to sports that they don't play formally. They play soccer, baseball and football all the time with their friends.

But that's not enough for me. I really want each of my chidlren to have the opportunity to be GOOD at a sport and to have individual training. I want them to have regular athletic conditioning. I want them to have the coaching experience (which in our case have been great!). One of my sons plays tennis, the other swims. If either of them takes more than a day or two off, you can definitely tell a difference, and they are in MUCH better shape that the kids they know in the neighborhood who aren't involved in daily sports. They work very hard and it's long hours, and I would be happy for them to choose something less demanding, but they love it.

So I understand the OP wanting more than just outdoor play, even though outdoor play is great.

OP, I would consider a couple of options. First, if you find a sport like soccer or basketball that your older children will like, you might be able to get the baby's schedule altered a little. I had to do that with twin babys and I *hated* it but it was worth it for my older son. Plus, they don't stay babies forever. I might consider just investing in running shoes for the older children. If you can get them in shape to run a few miles a few times a week, that will make ANY sport easier a year from now when hopefully it will be easier to get the kids in a regular sports program.

Summer swim leages are also great for getting children into a swimming habit. Do you have a neighborhood pool?

We're Canadian and when my boys were younger, they played outside every day, winter or summer. Only extremely cold days prevented them from being outside for any length of time. Homes, schools, daycares all send kids outside in most weather. I suspect Scandinavian countries with similar weather profiles have the same practices.

But frankly, when we spent five years in Atlanta, there were lots of summer days that the kids did NOT go outside because it was just too hot and humid. So I guess YMMV regarding weather and outside play!

In fall, spring and summer we hit the playground all the time, go for walks (the kids favorite is a walk past the lake up to the library and then home again), once the ps kids are home ds is usually off and running playing tag or war games, they ride scooters and bikes etc. Ds5 though is a little sloth boy who is begging me to install an elevator in the house so he won't have to walk up the stairs, it is because of him that we hit the playground 4-5 days a week because it is the only way I can get him really active.

During the school year which also is pretty much entirely winter, they are enrolled in various physical activities. These often change from year to year, the plan for next year between the 3 older kids includes swimming, gymnastics, fencing, basketball, Tae Kwon Do, soccer, baseball and whatever else blows our way.

Also the homeschool groups in my city often organize gym days, so we may sample a couple of those next year as well.