Menu

Am I an idiot? (Climbing Parnassus)

I found it difficult. I checked it out from the library and didn't have the time to devote to it either. I too wait until late at night to read and it was a challenge. I need to purchase it and then plunge through it perhaps in my summer break.

Edited to add: This is one reason I want to homeschool. I feel like I need another education so books like this are no longer difficult.

I started reading Climbing Parnassus and I find it a difficult read. What I do understand I think is great. Maybe its because I read it late at night when I'm tired....but really am I an idiot or has anyone else had difficulty with this book?

I think you'll find that many people have difficulty with it.

it's great stuff, though. It's well worth the effort. Sometimes underlining, scribbling notes in the margin, or writing questions in a notebook as I go along, helps me a great deal. If you have questions about what he's staying, if you post them here, I and others will try to help.

I haven't read this book but have had this trouble reading late at night. Maybe try it when you're more alert? I read 1776 a while back and found myself reading the same paragraph over and over and thinking "Now which general is this again?". :001_huh:.

II just figure I'm not using to being able to give something my undivided attention for very long anymore and I think maybe I've forgotten how. :tongue_smilie:

You're not an idiot. I had trouble too. In the beginning I was more than a tad confused but by the end I understood much more of what he was trying to say.

Here's a link to a video of Tracy Simmons talking about some of the topics in the book. It helped me to watch.

Nope. Definitely not an idiot! I pick it up from time to time: and I get more out of it at certain times than others. I've been reading it, oh, for about a year, now.

Much easier to get through (a delight, really) with the same message and inspiration is "Who killed Homer?" by Victor Davis Hanson and John Heath. http://www.amazon.com/Who-Killed-Homer-Classical-Education/dp/1893554260

After reading that book, not only was I recommitted to a classical education, but I was heartily glad I got out and stayed out of the Ivory Tower!

Well, on my second attempt thru this book I made it farther than the first attempt. Like others, I usually leave reading for myself til late at night, and that's a mistake with this book. I set it aside for a while after I got my new edition of Latin Centered Curriculum. I need to go back to it, it's a great touchstone for me.

I thought Who Killed Homer was more accessible but I still like Climbing Parnassus better...it's more inspiring, somehow.

Its a difficult book, but I felt it made some good points.

I think I prefer the style of writing though where the person says what needs to be said in a way that people can actually understand, not just the elite intellectual. For example, I know that SWB is a well educated person, but when I read what she writes I don't feel like an idiot or that I am being talked down to. I think people use big words sometimes just to show they know how to use big words. He could have said what he said in a way more people would be able to understand it, while still writing grammatically correctly and in a lucid manner. Did it have to be so darned hard to read? Isn't that actually a sign of poor writing? I guess he was making a point that we find it difficult to read simply because we are not educated the way he is talking about.

There, exposing my lack of culture and edukation.

Ha.. Ernest Hemingway versus Sir Walter Scott :) Both have their merit IMO. Peela, I used to think like this too, and then I read in Charlotte Mason's books about developing Mother Culture and as a mother to always keep three books going at the same time.

One easier book (a good novel perhaps, not twaddle either)

One mid-range book

One difficult book (to struggle through and learn from).

Now I feel like reading Climbing Parnassus :tongue_smilie:

Ha.. Ernest Hemingway versus Sir Walter Scott :) Both have their merit IMO. Peela, I used to think like this too, and then I read in Charlotte Mason's books about developing Mother Culture and as a mother to always keep three books going at the same time.

One easier book (a good novel perhaps, not twaddle either)

One mid-range book

One difficult book (to struggle through and learn from).

Now I feel like reading Climbing Parnassus :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I am only playing really, I am sure there is a place for such books. He probably doesn't really care for us plebians to read it anyway :)

We are reading Ivanhoe at the moment. It is good once you get into it. I probably woulnd't struggle through books with difficult language if it werent for homeschooling, but it does feel good for me, like exercise :)

I like to keep several books going at once by my bedside. Often, one is spiritual, one is a book to read ahead for the kids, and one is an easier book for me- whether a novel or non fiction.

I have been reading this book this week. Sometimes I find myself reading a paragraph, only to realize I wasn't really paying attention. So, as silly as this sounds, I have been reading it aloud to myself. This really seems to help me understand the text and not daydream!

Dorothy

Edited by Baseballmom

We are reading Ivanhoe at the moment. It is good once you get into it. I probably woulnd't struggle through books with difficult language if it werent for homeschooling, but it does feel good for me, like exercise :)

I loved Ivanhoe! Same experience. It was hard to get through in the beginning, but it was well worth it. It was the best book I had read in a while.

I want to retry Alice in Wonderland. It was making me angry and bored the last time I started reading it (months and months ago).

I second the vote for Who Killed Homer? It is a really engaging read and makes many of the same points that Climbing Parnassus is supposed to. I wouldn't know because I couldn't get into CP either! I enjoy reading and read lots of different styles of writing. I think there is something to be said for being able to engage the reader with clarity. I find it ironic that CP is this call to reform education yet the author leaves many of his would be fans in the dust due to his obtuse writing style. One thing that I want out of a classical education is clarity and an ability to communicate with others. Most people who want to read CP are not bimbos! They are very likely readers, yet I've heard many complain about how hard this book is to read.

I think you'll find that many people have difficulty with it.

it's great stuff, though. It's well worth the effort. Sometimes underlining, scribbling notes in the margin, or writing questions in a notebook as I go along, helps me a great deal. If you have questions about what he's staying, if you post them here, I and others will try to help.

:iagree: completely. I consider CP one of the most important books I've ever read in terms of forming my educational philosophy. I also like Who Killed Homer? and highly recommend that book, but if one is interested in piecing together a Latin-centered home education, CP can't be beat. Just my $.02. :001_smile:

Edited by laylamcb

I felt totally humbled reading it, also at bedtime. What a mistake. Well I read it through twice, all at bedtime and came away with the general idea of ..................and then I couldn't remember what I had read the night before. He had some wonderful points in there on education and the history of it. I should re read it in the morning - but - alas - I'm busy! I wish he would hae used chapters and subchapters. I remember finding the lack of those annoying, adn made it harder to follow..Now I'm ispired to try the Homer book mentioned........

Shasta Mom!!! I don't know you and I don't want to sound freaky.... but your blog is the best! What a wonderful life you have...and what great experiences for your kids! Bravo!

Okay....hijack over.

Climbing Parnassus is a hard read...... but I find it invigorating! ....and isn't that what life is really about? Being challenged and loving it.....knowing something is difficult but yearning to do more of it? (gotta find my copy of it and try it again!).

Shasta Mom!!! I don't know you and I don't want to sound freaky.... but your blog is the best! What a wonderful life you have...and what great experiences for your kids! Bravo!

Okay....hijack over.

Climbing Parnassus is a hard read...... but I find it invigorating! ....and isn't that what life is really about? Being challenged and loving it.....knowing something is difficult but yearning to do more of it? (gotta find my copy of it and try it again!).

Gosh, thanks, Pam! Now I feel guilty for not keeping it current the last month or so. Yes, we feel very fortunate to be able to live our life as we are doing now. Let's hope it continues!

Edited by Shasta Mom

I'm in the middle of it right now and love it. It is a challenging read. I wish there was an audio version of it for my dh to read, to really 'get' what I'm trying to do. I've read him excerpts....he thinks the book is too wordy :tongue_smilie: I am planning on re-reading it when I'm done. He has so many good quotes about education that I want to write down....it's very inspiring to me. I have Who Killed Homer on my book list, too. Glad to see that's recommended; I wondered how that would be.

Okay, so I'm a newbie ... what's Climbing Parnassus about? Why would I want to read it? And what's the Homer one about?

always looking for good additions to my reading list ... right now my challenge list is Orthodoxy by Chesterton and he's making my head spin...

Climbing Parnassus is an apology for Greek and Latin.

I admit to being another that started with enthusiasm to put it down with a confused look:001_huh: I picked it back up at ch3 and am enjoying it, thanks to someone's advice on this thread LOL!

After reading about the Parthenon vs. the Optative I am determined to give my kids the Optative....just as soon as I figure out what an Optative IS.:tongue_smilie::lol:.......sigh! I am the product of the ps system:confused:

I took Latin in HS - and I was robbed! That's all I have to say!

I took Latin in HS - and I was robbed! That's all I have to say!

You just didn't study it long enough. :D:tongue_smilie: I took 3 years in HS plus gifted English from 2-12 grades and I find it pretty densely written, though understandable.

I have to admit I was happy about being able to read the big words and understand them. I've been reading books that are too easy for too long. I picked this up and mentally went "Ahh...this is good exercise." :lol:

I do wish the chapters were broken up a little more, since I don't have 1 or 2 hours at a sitting to get through and thoroughly digest each chapter. It's defintely not a "bedtime" book if you want to really understand it.

You just didn't study it long enough. :D:tongue_smilie: I took 3 years in HS plus gifted English from 2-12 grades and I find it pretty densely written, though understandable.

I understand the words. I don't have an intimate understanding of what his words describe.....and that is why I was robbed. 4 years of my life in Latin class and I came away with a fuzzy view of the Parthenon. :banghead: