Menu

David Attenborough -- fantastic Amazon Earth Day deal

Great deal! I'll order some May birthday gifts today, and I'll add that to my shopping cart!
I almost purchased Life of Mammals and Blue Planet last week. Thank goodness I got distracted. :)

I've had a hold on the library's copy of Planet Earth for 2 months now--I think I'm finally near the top of the wait list. For those of us who are clueless (don't watch t.v., no netflix, etc.) can you share a little bit about these programs? What makes this a must-buy for you?

Ali - I can only speak for "Planet Earth" but the images are just absolutely fantastic - the filmmakers went to incredible lengths to get some of the footage and the end results are utterly amazing. We own the box set and have seen the series on T.V. repeatedly, but my kids still can't get enough - it's really just a great show and so very interesting (I would say it far surpasses other shows of that type).

I just looked at that -- I didn't see where it said today only. Wow, Life of Mammals, which I "need' is $71 all by itself. Life of Birds is $32. How does Amazon do this for $70?? Thanks for posting!!

i have Planet Earth and The Blue Planet and have seen the others -- they are fantastic, with stupendous photography and intelligent commentary. Really a must have IMO. Some are available for instant download on Netflix.

Edited by Alessandra

I just looked at that -- I didn't see where it said today only.
It's today's Gold Box deal. They regularly sell it for $118.

violence also. My youngest ( 8 yr old ) and I cannot handle graphic attacks/violence. My oldest and dh are ok either way. This is a great deal and thanks to the op for posting this.
Preview, as some episodes are more intense than others. The worst is an episode of Blue Planet which shows orcas "playing" with a live seal pup. The footage is hard to watch but is extraordinary, and I can see why they included it.

Is this really evolutionary?

I haven't seen it, so I can't speak from experience, but the reviews I've read seem to indicate that it is definitely not Creationist, and at least one episode speaks directly of evolution. (Again, I'm just posting what I've read online, so I have no idea of the accuracy.)

I'm still wondering about whether or not they show a lot of mating, particularly among the mammals. I have seen a few documentaries that seem to dwell on that sort of thing, and after a while, it got a bit uncomfortable to watch.

Thanks!

Cat

I'm still wondering about whether or not they show a lot of mating, particularly among the mammals. I have seen a few documentaries that seem to dwell on that sort of thing, and after a while, it got a bit uncomfortable to watch.
There's not much. I think Life in the Undergrowth has more mating than the other series (leopard slugs, snails, worms, springtails, millipedes, etc.), but it's not included in this set.

The 10 foot motile right whale (I think it's the right whale) penis is prominently featured in one episode. Hedgehogs are shown mating (with Sir David looking on from only a few feet away). It's quite possible there are other mating scenes, but it's not a predominant theme and none leap to mind.

What is a gold box deal? I don't see anything about this on their website.
Assuming everyone's main page looks the same, if you go to Amazon's main page, you'll see "Today's Deals" in the blue menu strip across the top.

I haven't seen it, so I can't speak from experience, but the reviews I've read seem to indicate that it is definitely not Creationist, and at least one episode speaks directly of evolution. (Again, I'm just posting what I've read online, so I have no idea of the accuracy.)

Thanks!

Cat

Birds is definately evolutionary. Mammals doesn't mention it as much, but it's there.

As for mating, there are a few scenes in Birds in one or two episodes. These episodes would be Finding Partners and possibly The Demands of the Egg. In the courtship episode, the focus is on courtship displays. The mating scenes, per my memory, are few and brief.

Mammals, per my memory, have more mating scenes and they are longer and sometimes rougher (think lions). Ds believes mating scenes are only in a couple of episodes (meat eaters and plant eaters). Still, they are shown within the context of coutship and do not constitute a large portion of the show. If they upset you, fast forward through them, because there is far more info on other aspects of the animals lives.

As for mating, there are a few scenes in Birds in one or two episodes. These episodes would be Finding Partners and possibly The Demands of the Egg. In the courtship episode, the focus is on courtship displays. The mating scenes, per my memory, are few and brief.

Mammals, per my memory, have more mating scenes and they are longer and sometimes rougher (think lions). Ds believes mating scenes are only in a couple of episodes (meat eaters and plant eaters). Still, they are shown within the context of coutship and do not constitute a large portion of the show. If they upset you, fast forward through them, because there is far more info on other aspects of the animals lives.

Thanks -- I think it will be fine, and I'm glad I ordered.

Cat

There's not much. I think Life in the Undergrowth has more mating than the other series (leopard slugs, snails, worms, springtails, millipedes, etc.), but it's not included in this set.

The 10 foot motile right whale (I think it's the right whale) penis is prominently featured in one episode. Hedgehogs are shown mating (with Sir David looking on from only a few feet away). It's quite possible there are other mating scenes, but it's not a predominant theme and none leap to mind.

Thanks! I think it will be fine, and I'll preview anything that looks like it might be questionable. Honestly, it sounds like the mating stuff is not big deal, so the worst parts will probably be the predatory hunting scenes, because I always root for the victim. DS will probably just think it's cool... ;)

Cat

At least in Life of Mammals and LofBirds( I haven't seen the others because kiddo much prefers the vids where D.A is on screen), D.A's enthusiasm is worth the videos price alone. This man has done so much for so long and is simply undimmed in his curiosity, intelligence, and delight in the world. He is currently my son's hero, and if I had heroes, he'd be mine.

It has been said that he has traveled more widely than any other human in history.

A box set containing Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Life of Mammals and Life of Birds (17 DVD's) is $69.99 for today only.

I got the bundle that was a little farther down the page that also had Life in the Undergrowth and a reptile set for $20 each. Even with duplicating the Blue Planet that I already had, the $70 for the big set was about what I would have paid if the exchange here had ever carried it. So I feel like I got the others in that set free.

Blue Planet is one of our favorites. It was recommended by one of the education docents at our favorite snorkeling hole and man was he right. If you get this, don't miss the extras. Some of these are lengthy documentaries in their own right. Sometimes they have a very established viewpoint, but they are still good.

Can anyone tell me the difference between this set and Planet Earth: The Complete Series shown further down on the page - he latter is available locally.

Planet Earth (land) is one of the series included in this set.

It also has the Blue Planet series (water)

One on mammals

One on birds