Menu

If money was no option, what curriculum would you buy?

Well, I love Oak Meadow. If money were no object I'd buy it all new with all the books and craft kits, plus extras of craft supplies and main lesson books.

And I would buy every level of Saxon from where we are on up.

And I would hire a real art teacher.

I like that Audrey :001_smile:. I feel guilty' date=' but it has crossed my mind to hire a teacher, but I guess that would defeat the purpose:glare:.[/quote']

If I had the money, I wouldn't feel at all guilty about hiring for an art teacher. You would probably hire a piano teacher, right?

Well, I play piano and teach my ds piano just fine, but I cannot draw a stick figure that remotely resembles a stick figure! I am the last person who could teach him any kind of art techniques. Sure, we play with art together and scribble and slosh paint around, but he has some talent that I simply do not. It would be really nice for him to have a real art teacher (one who understands kids!) to guide him and help him find his inner artist again.

My dd has taken art classes at a local art museum that she really loved. I had to pull her out because of all the homework she has:tongue_smilie:. I'm hoping that all 3 could go next year. I have to check out what starting age they take.

Oh! That's wonderful! I would love to have something like that here. Alas, I'm so far out in the boonies. :sad:

I would hire somebody to design the perfect curriculum for me. It would be something that includes Canada in the history cycle the same way other all-in-one curriculum packages (TOG/MFW) include US history. I would probably hire someone to teach high school math and science, as well as Latin and modern languages.

Lori

ETA: I would also go on some amazing field trips! Maybe a Mediterranean cruise for Ancients, and a tour of Europe for our Middle Ages study.

Edited by LBC

It would be something that includes Canada in the history cycle the same way other all-in-one curriculum packages (TOG/MFW) include US history.

Oh, Lori... you impossible dreamer you. :lol:

Well, I love Oak Meadow. If money were no object I'd buy it all new with all the books and craft kits, plus extras of craft supplies and main lesson books.

You just made me so happy, Audrey, because we just bought Oak Meadow and I was hoping to hear some positive comments about it!

I've been trying to join the OM Yahoo group for weeks, but still haven't heard back from the list owner. I hope she accepts my membership, as I really want to be a part of that group.

Cat

Can I get that reading list without purchasing the whole program.

Yes, just request a catalog. You will be able to find some of the books in the library, but not all. You may also want to request a catalog from Veritas Press, it will give you some great reading titles as well.

I'm sure other posters can recommend additional catalogs they use as reading lists - Beautiful Feet, perhaps? Anyone have more favorites?

Can I get that reading list without purchasing the whole program.

Sure -- just get a copy of the Sonlight catalog (or view it online.) All of the book selections are in there, organized according to level.

Many people buy the Sonlight Instructor Guide and get most of their books from the library (or elsewhere.) Personally, I don't like the way Sonlight schedules their read-alouds, so the IG isn't that important to me.

I went whole-hog on Sonlight when ds was younger, buying several complete packages for different levels (over the course of a few years.) I just couldn't make it work for us, no matter how much I wanted to be like the happy families in the catalogs. Finally, though, ds is starting to enjoy read-alouds, so I'm hoping to get some use out of some of the books I purchased (probably used in conjunction with Oak Meadow or TOG... or the BJU DVDs... I'm probably going to ruin my life next year by combining several different curriculum choices, instead of keeping it simple with our "usual" BJU DVDs.)

Cat

I would use exactly what we're using now BUT I would buy all the books I want to read from the various reading lists so I wouldn't have to use the library as much. :) It's hard to have the books in-home when we hit that section of SOTW - it would be much easier to have them already lined up and waiting for me! :)

FWIW, for our main subjects we use: SOTW, Apologia elementary science, REAL Science 4 Kids, Rod & Staff for grammar.

My Kindy is using Abeka math, the 3rd grader is halfway through Saxon 5/4, and the 5th grader is midway through Teaching Textbooks 7. I'm moving the 3rd grader over to TT soon - I LOVE having the computer teach math concepts. It frees up so much time for me to teach other things and focus on my 6yo. :D

Not a curriculum but the resources for an extended driving trip around America; at least 2 or 3 months, followed with, the next year and every year after until they are grown, plane tickets to places around the world to visit for several weeks or a month at a time. Now that would be the way to do field trips!

A little more realistically, I'd hire a private Spanish teacher.

Edited to add:

I apologize for not taking the OP's question more seriously -

If money was not an issue this next year, I would probably use Rosetta Stone for my 9th grader for Spanish (and hire someone to "immerse" us once a week") and I wouldn't have to scrimp and pinch to figure out a way to pay for Write at Home, which same 9th grader will use, though I'm not sure how we'll swing it at this point.

:)

Edited by JustGin

Not a curriculum but the resources for an extended driving trip around America; at least 2 or 3 months, followed with, the next year and every year after until they are grown, plane tickets to places around the world to visit for several weeks or a month at a time. Now that would be the way to do field trips!

A little more realistically, I'd hire a private Spanish teacher.

Edited to add:

I apologize for not taking the OP's question more seriously -

If money was not an issue this next year, I would probably use Rosetta Stone for my 9th grader for Spanish (and hire someone to "immerse" us once a week") and I wouldn't have to scrimp and pinch to figure out a way to pay for Write at Home, which same 9th grader will use, though I'm not sure how we'll swing it at this point.

:)

I like your idea of travel. If I had the money and the time, I'd do that. That would be an amazing experience.

Actually I think finding a Spanish teacher might not be that off limits. I teach Spanish to a friend of mine once a week for 10 dollars a class. She comes to my house and we work together for about 45-60 minutes. Maybe you can find someone someone to work with your kids. Just a thought. :)

I would buy several things really...And I'd let the kids "have at it" especially the little ones. We were laid back but always had a lot of materials around the house. My daughter was "schoolish" in how she did things though we were generally laid back, if that makes sense. So having a few full programs would be nice, especially Sonlight and Oak Meadow. And I'd never just do one math program anyway.

Anyway, even when money was an issue, I got a wide selection. I definitely would if it weren't an issue.

For the 6th grader, I wouldn't buy a full curriculum. My kids used a full curriculum one year (each) their school careers. It was the best thing we did for that year as we had specific reasons for doing it. But I don't think it is best generally. I think picking and choosing each subject (and sub-subject) based on the goals of the homeschool and needs of the student is absolute best.

Another consideration is that the biggest mistake most new homeschoolers make is jumping right into a specific "good" curriculum without finding out who they are as a homeschool parent or who their children are as students. Then they wonder why homeschooling doesn't work for them, is sooooooooo hard, etc. Well, they just picked XYZ curriculum because it generally has a good reputation, is used at private schools, worked well for Jenny at church, etc.

It would be more beneficial to spend the first several months of homeschooling following interests, learning about curriculum options, learning where their individual children are and how they learn, etc. The kids will still learn during this time, but the family can do some figuring. It's called "deschooling" and though probably not a big deal for your little kids, it would be more beneficial for your older one. She's used to the school's way and hopefully you'll be moving away from that as you learn better (though you may still choose a full curriculum, a structured program of study, etc).

Hoping this makes any sense.

I like your idea of travel. If I had the money and the time, I'd do that. That would be an amazing experience.

Actually I think finding a Spanish teacher might not be that off limits. I teach Spanish to a friend of mine once a week for 10 dollars a class. She comes to my house and we work together for about 45-60 minutes. Maybe you can find someone someone to work with your kids. Just a thought. :)

And a good one - thanks! :)

I would buy everything from Sonlight. I usually buy a new core, but this year, I will be buying used and using the library more. If money were no object, I would order everything - coordinating cores, instead of supplementing down, math, la, science, art, foreign language, etc. - everything at once from Sonlight instead of shopping all over for bragains and borrowing here and there. It would make my life easier, but then again, I wouldn't be able to brag on myself for all of the great deals I found, and how much money I saved. lol... ;)

Well, lets see...I'd buy ALL of SOTW and TOG for all levels since I've got kids from 2.5 to 10. (with several activity packages, of course!) Then I'd probably get some complete pkgs of Saxon, Horizon, and pay someone to adjust them for Canadian History etc where it focuses on American, just like LTC I think it was mentioned, lol. Then I'd check out a few other math currics that I've heard of, so that if one didn't work for my kids, I had another on hand, and I could sell the other. I'd buy a top notch microscope, since the one we have well...it works is the best thing I can say for it. I have serious scope envy over the one Special Mama has, lol! I'd get tons of arts and crafts stuff...

Ok, I admit it...if money were no object, I'd go completely freakin nuts :lol:

Edited by Impish

Not a curriculum but the resources for an extended driving trip around America; at least 2 or 3 months, followed with, the next year and every year after until they are grown, plane tickets to places around the world to visit for several weeks or a month at a time.

We were just talking the other day about how much my son would love an extended RV trip across the country. In my fantasy world, we'd buy an RV and take a whole academic year to drive around while studying American history.

The thing is that, even if money were no object, I can't imagine that going well with my husband (who has a bad back and can't handle long drives), two cats, a guinea pig and a puppy along for the ride.

And, unfortunately, long-term international travel has the same problems.

But, oh boy, would I love to do at least one big "field trip" every year!

I always say Calvert is the Cadillac of homeschool curriculums. We used it the first two years with our oldest when we thought that more expensive meant the best. Don't get me wrong, we liked Calvert, but it was p-r-i-c-e-y!

I agree with the others, I would hire an art teacher and a music teacher - and maybe a housekeeper. Mama's got to get something out of this dream too!

I agree with the others, I would hire an art teacher and a music teacher - and maybe a housekeeper. Mama's got to get something out of this dream too!

Me too- Art teacher. Music teacher. Housekeeper.

I haven't seen any other curriculum that I want more than what I'm currently using.