Menu

We've got an official DATE for Malaysia!!!

:iagree: Congrats! Ya, I'd be in shock too!

You can SO keep a 5 yr old busy! I travelled by car across Canada with my 7 yr old boy who has autism, so he is quite high needs and flits from toy to toy every minute! LOL! It took us 5 days to get to our destination, but I had a large gym bag full of VERY COOL things to occupy him. I do mean, VERY COOL!!! I spent a small fortune, LOL, but it was worth it, as I was the only adult to occupy him, and also the only adult there, so um, ya, I had to drive! And preferably safely! :tongue_smilie: Start keeping a secret stockpile now, of very cool things your son would like. One neato one I got was his very own label making machine :lol: What kid wouldn't want that? LOL! Oh, and a portable DVD player with many new DVDs. Sure, people will say "oh I wouldn't shove my kid in front of a tv for a babysitter" but you know what? Until you're in a situation like I was in, where your sanity and survival depend on it, well, let's just say it's time to give! Let your mama guard down a wee bit and indulge for these few days... your nerves will thank you!

Edited by specialmama

How exciting! It sounds like a wonderful adventure.

As far as the 5yo goes:

On long-haul flights there will be the media screens on the back of the chairs as another poster has mentioned. On the airlines we've used there have always been appropriate kiddies movies and programs. This is the one time to let them watch as much as they like!

We also pack a backpack of toys that the child carries herself. Drawing book, pencils, small toys that can be used on the fold-out table (Polypockets were a new treat the last time we flew), stickers, self-inking stamps, book for read-aloud, etc. I have found that a small zipped bag for like items works well to keep things from falling off the tray table. Even though you'll get food on the long-hauls, it's also nice to have small bags of snacks - and raisin sized bites take a while to get through!

He'll also be sleeping some of the way :001_smile:

It's harder to keep kids busy in the terminals as they (or mine anyway) want to get moving. Some airports have nice play areas. Try to find out ahead of time if the terminal that you are in has one. I don't know any of the airports you're flying through, but some may have these facilities - great if they do!

If you don't mind dirty knees, then most adults will smile indulgently on a 5yo playing on the floor with cars. Long walks through the airport also take up time.

How on earth will I keep a 5yo busy for 38 hours??????

I've been on flights when the screens were out of order or when they forgot to bring the children's programmes (yes, really). What I used to do when my boys were small was to go to a cheap toy shop and buy up twenty or so small toys (it's worth the outlay!). Then I'd wrap each one individually and keep them in a bag over which I had control on the flight. I'd bring them out at intervals whenever it seemed necessary. The unwrapping time extended the life of the toy.

Something else I used to do: arrange the airplane blanket over the top of the seat, tucking it into the top of the seat in front, so as to block out the light. If the plane is hot that won't be possible, but it's often quite cool and I found that this improved sleeping.

Best wishes and good luck with your new adventure.

Laura

Don't count on those seat back screens. I've regularly done 10+ hour trans-oceanic flights with only overhead screens or a broken seat screen. Check ahead with the airline. Check if you need to request kids meals. You may also want to bring your own earphones-the airlines sometimes give them and sometimes ask you to pay-plus the new ones are often difficult and uncomfortable for kids.

Very exciting!

As for keeping your 5yo occupied... check with the airline to find out if your flights will have the individual tv screens. They are a life saver as other people have said.

Other advice...

Pack some snacks and toys, but I really don't like to overpack that stuff because it can really weigh you down.

Bring a couple of empty water bottles through security and fill them up at the water fountains in the boarding area.

Don't bring any little toys that you will worry about getting lost - matchbox cars and Polly Pocket are great, but don't bring a very favorite because it might get lost under the seat, never to been seen again.

Do bring a cozy thing - blankie or stuffed toy.

Get him his own little pull carry-on (not a backpack - I always used to use those and I'd always end up carrying them) to put his stuff in.

Color Magic markers are great because you don't have to worry about them marking up the seats or clothes.

That's all I can think of for now. Have a great trip!

Yahoooo!!!!!

5 hours was my longest flight, but the iPod with various episodes of their fav shows was a life saver! Our portable DVD player by Phillips actually has an iPod dock in it and plays them on the screen. Way easier than carting DVDs around. You can use a program called Handbrake (it's free) to get your own DVDs converted to play on the iPod (or other portable media player). They get pretty small in size so you'd be surprised at how many you can get on a device.

I'm so jealous - even of the long flights!! I have the major itch to travel right now :D

Woohoo!

For the 5yo: Try an iPod loaded with nice music and great audiobooks. Perhaps even a portable DVD player. And snacks. Lots of snacks. I also recommend a backpack with cool stuff to keep fingers busy, like WikkiStiks and suchlike.

I second the vote for Wikkistiks. My mom bought some for the kids when we flew to Germany and they were easily the very best thing I've ever had to keep little ones busy. They stick to the airplane tray so there's no flying around trying to keep stuff all together. Even the 2 yo was enthralled with them. We're talking HOURS of fun!

How exciting! It sounds like a wonderful adventure.

It's harder to keep kids busy in the terminals as they (or mine anyway) want to get moving. Some airports have nice play areas. Try to find out ahead of time if the terminal that you are in has one. I don't know any of the airports you're flying through, but some may have these facilities - great if they do!

The Dallas international terminal does have a good kids area.

Bring snacks. Including something like sandwiches (peanut butter lasts longer than meat/cheese) that can double as a meal, fruit, and something else that will last (cookies/granola bars/nuts). You will not regret it.

Run around the terminals.

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. -- I know someone who gave their kids these, and they slept really well on the first leg of the trip. By the second leg, the parents were exhausted....and the kids were wide awake!

I found that my kids eventually get tired and sleep. A small kid just can't normally stay awake for 2 days without sleep...

I agree also with some little activity items. One time I filled a checkbook box with all the rectangular wooden blocks that fit in it. It was a lifesaver on one leg when my (admittedly much younger) daughter was screaming. Another thing is to practice with your child how to unpop the ears -- one flight magazine suggested this, and it worked for them better than all the yawning business, which my kids couldn't get to work....Plug your nose and swallow. Or plug your nose and blow. Practice big yawns anyway. And if your child chews gum -- bring some.

These activity cards have been a life saver for us on long car trips and for our trip to Europe. I suggest punching a hole in the corner and putting the cards on a ring. That keeps them from falling all over the place and getting lost.

Audio books are a staple for us on trips.

I suggest packing about half of what you think you will need or use, in terms of activities and snacks. That stuff gets heavy and you will probably find that you need far less than you think.

WOW! These are awesome suggestions! The longest my kids have been on a plane is 3 hours and the longest car trip was 10 hours so this will be an adventure. Now I am making a list of all these ideas for them. Me? I could fill 38 hours easily with nothing more than reading and sleep for myself. :D

Now that we have a date it is all starting to seem real in a "Holy smokes, we have a lot to do!" sort of way. And we now have the "countdown" going on our dry erase board in the kitchen.