Menu

For those of you who do K-3 copywork . . .

Mama Anna

I haven't used these yet, but they are what I am looking to purchase - Living Memory or The Harp and Laurel Wreath. The same books can be used for memorization.

I wonder how much effort it would be to compile all those things for copywork? It would be fun, but it just isn't where I can spend my time.

I have been making up copywork for my little guy. I find it to work for us. It is usually things like:

My name is FirstName LastName.

I live at OurAddress.

My phone number is PhoneNumber.

My Mom's name is MomName.

and other stuff along those ideas.

I am using mainly AO (public domain) stuff this coming year, and I am cut&pasting quotes onto StartWrite for copywork.

I also use spelling words and have ds make up a sentence with cards and then copy.

I have the WWE textbook, and I pull wisdom from SWB on finding quotes, but I don't follow WWE to the "T". We are just beginning though...so ymmv.

We use:

-The Harp and Laurel Wreath

-Spelling Wisdom

-other random poetry resources (Prelutsky, Rossetti, Ambleside Online)

-lines from random science and history resources

-lines taken from any book they happen to be interested in

-lines taken from any ole book that looked good at the moment

with ds, who is in K, I make up sentences for him to copy about his Lego guys!:lol:

I do try to get some subtle character stuff in there though-"If you went to the store to buy a Lego set for an unfortunate boy who can't afford one, which one would you pick?" :001_smile:

He can read, so he reads it to me, and then we do a little bit of very basic "Simply Spelling" analysis to it-discuss the abbreviation of "can't", talk about the fact that "un" is called a suffix in the word "unfortunate" and name a couple other suffixes for examples, and maybe a spelling fact like about the -ck at the end of "pick" rule (single syllable with a short vowel takes -ck).

So it may seem like twaddle, but he loves it and I get a lot in!

Next year we'll be doing FLL 1/2 so we'll do copywork from there/some from our reading selections.

My daughter turned 6 last month and my twin boy's will be 5 next month. We are using Heart of Dakota. I use my Startwrite program and type up one of the "key ideas" from the teacher guide for them to copy or trace. I put the text or lines at the bottom of the page and then they draw their own picuture of what the text is about/describing in the blank space above. It's always based on what we have learned in our lessons. Then we put the sheets in page protectors and place in a binder that is their "journal" for K/1st grade.

Also, for the front cover of the binder, I had them write their "Names" and "Journal" and then they put handprints on the paper from ink pads that I have.

I think it will be really cool for them to look back one day at their K/1st grade journal and see how little their hands were, how their writing skills looked, and also their artwork. :001_smile:

The "morals" from Aesop. My son calls it "the morals book".

I made a copywork book with the Aesop's fable and the morals for copywork that you can find at Lulu.com.

ETA: We followed this with selections from the books we were reading at the time. The Ableside Online Copywork Yahoo Group has good copywork.

Edited by Hannah

I use engaging public domain stories, print them up in our font of choice, and DD the Elder makes books. She's working her way through the Just So Stories. We were only going to do a couple and then move on, but she decided to do the entire book.