Menu

Summer school?

momto2Cs

I know some of you school year-round, but those who don't, do you do any lesson-type stuff during the summer? we're thinking of trying out History Odyssey Ancients (level 1) this year. There's a King Tut exhibit coming to a fairly near city, and we plan to go in the fall, so I was thinking it might be nice to freshen up our ancient history before we go, plus I thought it would give us a chance to see if HO is for us before we start a new "school" year in September. I figure, looking at Pandia Press's web site, that we could get through the first 10 or so lessons.

Anyone else do light schooling of some sort during the summer?

I was thinking of doing the drive thru history series. We do "school" for about two hours a day in the summer, not including reading. I structure it in rotations. Each of the three kids rotate for one hour among three areas - typically- math (with me), typing (on the computer), and maybe writing/grammar/logic puzzles, sometimes even Big Brain academy on the Wii. Then we do a science experiment together or a nature study and this year I want to include a simple history, that is why I was thinking the dvds for drive thru history.

That's what we do.

This year, we are schooling through summer with math and English just to finish the programs we started late. Hopefully, this will not be a repeat in subsequent years. My "plan" is to do unit studies in the summer that bring in elements of math and writing/grammar, but are more fun and hands on for the kids. We also garden in the summer. :)

We continue math through the summer. My 3rd grader will be doing typing. Both of the girls will continue reading and writing letters regularly through the summer.

That's probably about it, but we are expecting a good bit of company this summer (and a new baby in May!), so that will be plenty for us :)

I'm convinced we'll need to do math throughout each summer ... at least for my oldest. We did it over Christmas break (we took off 3 weeks) and I'm SO glad we did a tiny bit of math each day. When we started back up in January, math was a breeze because of all the review she did while on Christmas break.

I shudder at the thought of having to reteach math concepts for all of August, September, and October. So I'm going to have her do 2 math worksheets each week throughout the summer. It will be up to her if she wants to do them all on Monday or just a little each day.

Other than that, we started our first garden and it's honestly teaching the kids so many science lessons already!

She'll also be writing letters throughout the summer because she has several penpals. I'm going to proofread the letters and if she seems to be doing her best as far as good, neat handwriting and correct spelling, I'm going to reward her with stickers, colored pens, stationery, etc so she can keep on writing. See how sneaky I am? :D

We will continue math and reading through the summer, but on a much lighter schedule.

I am also planning to have learn some of the things the local PS does during the year (states/presidents/pilgrims/etc, etc, etc) that we are doing in a different order.

One other thing (this will probably take up most of our summer school time) is that we will be going and doing all of the things we haven't done during the school year (visiting the bakery, a dairy farm, the zoo, going on picnics, etc).

I am still trying to figure out how we are going to go about it, though.

I'm planning a 10 week art/music appreciation course using all of the wonderful resources I buy but don't use in a systematic way:

Melody Lane

Lots of books recommended in Veritas catalog-Story of the Orchestra etc.

Opal Wheeler biographies

Classical Kids

Music Masters

Mike Venezia Artist Biographies

Usborne Story of Art

artist picture books from Veritas catalog

Devine artist and composers biography videos

etc!

My children are calling it the "Our last name" Art & Music Summer Camp 2009!

We do school light. One year I let writing and math go during the summer. In the fall there was a terrible review period.

So we do math, writing, reading, and this summer we will continue with Latin and add some light Spanish. Our summer program is more flexible and casual.

I used to go year round with school, but then I realized we all needed a break. Me, most of all, I think. Over the summer, the kids do things like use math fact software, work through a math workbook, and practice their spelling words with a spelling cd. It's all very light and they do it independently, so when fall comes around, I have some renewed energy to begin another year.

I do enjoy reading to the kids and do not really consider this school, so I will take this time to pick up some fun, lighter reading material than what we are used to with Sonlight. Last summer was a great time to pull out all our old picture books again.

Lisa

This summer we'll be doing typing, typing, typing! And math, latin, and one more subject that I haven't narrowed down yet - all at a reduced pace. (Oh yes, and instruments.)

If we can, I'd like to do a little unit on something we haven't spent much time on - like archaeology or art.

Edited by sandra in va

We've always done a little something. We do take a break from anything I think of as "drudgery". The stuff that has to be done every day during the school year (math, handwriting, grammar, spelling, etc). In the past we've started our history course early (and once was because we were going to see the Tut exhibit!) or done science or art. Haven't decided yet for this year, but am considering typing, Latin flashcards, art, history, geology/geography. Certainly not all of that! And I do think it's good to have some weeks off with no school at all--I'm thinking the last 3 weeks of June.

terrible review period

We've had those. No more three month summers that's for sure. :glare:

Yesterday my ds was actually *excited* about spending the summer brushing up on his writing. He was listening in while I watched the second DVD of IEW and is pretty psyched about writing short stories. Who knew? Certainly not me!

We will keep up with math, finish a few other things (science <sigh>) and use the rest of the time to pursue/try out new interests. Oh and mow weeds, whack weeds and pull weeds :tongue_smilie:. That's "gardening" to some of you more positive types ;).

We do morning-only school in the summer. Last year we concentrated on accelerating DS#1 in math and grammar because he was a couple of years behind. (This was the end of our first year HSing.) This year we're doing an accelerated SOTW 1, continueing math and language arts, and adding copywork since we've discovered the boys need remedial handwriting help. :p Assuming finances work out the way we want, we'll spend afternoons at the swimming pool.

I am doing art several times per week. I have nearly 20 lessons in Artistic Pursuits that correlate with SOTW1 that we didn't complete. I think it will be a nice way to review the history.

I will also have him do a few math word problems a couple of times each week. I tell myself we will also do some science, but realistically, we will only do that in an unschooly sort of way. I only plan 2 months off, though, not 3.

We'll do math, Latin, and reading throughout the summer unless we're traveling, and DD will continue a light piano practice/lesson schedule. The math and Latin is necessary, or my kids will lose too much ground. The reading is just because there are too many great books for me to fit them all in the school year!

SBP

It really helped my ds with his writing (not hand writing - report writing) b/c after he learned to type he was much more receptive to the concept of editing.

ETA: When my ds was younger (probably until the summer he turned 9) we did math through the summer as well. And we always keep on reading. And practicing the piano.

Edited by Hoggirl

I haven't decided how to continue with math. I know we'll do something, but I'm not sure what. Maybe just do the RightStart practice sheets and math games, but not any actual lessons. I like the sound of that.

We'll take a break from WWE and instead write letters.

I think we'll continue reciting memorizations he knows, but not learn new ones.

We will continue phonics because he is behind, and it's an area he needs to work on.

Piano will still be every day.

I hope to be able to focus on history and science during the summer. Those subjects are often left off because we concentrate so much on the basics. I want to do all the fun history and science projects we don't get to.

Oh, and we're starting swim lessons. My goal is that both older boys are able to swim by the end of summer.