Menu

Ok, since you're so smart. . . where to get cheap tampons?

Secular ~ The Diva looks so cool but you can't buy it online and I can't find a price on it.

The site is quoting way too high the cost of tampons. They're quoting $150 to $200 a year. No way do I spend that much.

I can find a box for $5.50 and I use only have of them a month.

What did your DIVA cost???

A.

i would hate dealing w/ a cup, lol.

love love love tampons. well, "love" as in "the highest regard I could have for feminine hygiene products" ;)

the cheapest i ever found was a thrift store that carried clearance-items from closed stores: $5 for the big box of variety sizes. I bought three boxes figuring the shelf life would last :D. other than playing something like the grocery game or CVS/ Walgreens sales w/coupons, I can't really offer any solid deals :(

good luck!

Secular ~ The Diva looks so cool but you can't buy it online and I can't find a price on it.

The site is quoting way too high the cost of tampons. They're quoting $150 to $200 a year. No way do I spend that much.

A.

i agree that is overpriced for what I would spend, even getting just tampons at WalMart. but i don't use pads and i know plenty of gals buy the more expensive options. Using tampons according to the instructions and changing them as necessary doesn't result in "unreliability." :)

http://www.divacup.com/en/home/faqs/

Retail price ranges from $32.50-40.00 U.S.

Not sure how much merchandise varies from store to store but our local Costco (NC) carries two brands, Playtex and Tampax. I keep stocked up by purchasing at least 1 box each time there's a coupon.

They are located near the diapers and baby wipes at the very far front corner of the store where the Pharmacy is located.

HTH

I no longer use tampons, I just use a DivaCup- it is SO much cheaper (one time expense, lasts for a few years) and much more comfortable.

I use a Keeper, similar to a DivaCup. It was hard to make the initial investment ($35 or so), because I didn't want to spend the money on something I wouldn't use, but I've had mine for 4 years now, and I still love it.

If you really want to cut costs, I would definitely look into getting a reusable cup.

I respect anyone that can use those cups. I am leery of them, but I have read not only here, but on other moms lists about them.

I wouldn't use the Dollar Tree ones - but that is just me. All I can say is that I have in the past and OUCH! Somethings are worth paying a little extra.

I second the CVS extra bucks. They sometimes have them on sale as well. Look for coupons as well. I just found this:

http://www.thecouponclippers.com/coupons/home.php?cat=358

I think at that site you pay (looks like 10 cents on the dollar), but could be worth it.

Another vote for the Diva Cup! That thing is amazing. I don't get menstrual cramps anymore since I stopped using conventional pads and tampons, and from reading at other message boards it sounds like that is a common occurrence for women who switch to cloth pads and/or the Diva/Keeper/Moon Cups.

Another vote for the Diva Cup! That thing is amazing. I don't get menstrual cramps anymore since I stopped using conventional pads and tampons, and from reading at other message boards it sounds like that is a common occurrence for women who switch to cloth pads and/or the Diva/Keeper/Moon Cups.

Hmmm now that is interesting.....

It has changed my life. My periods are lighter. I have almost zero leaks now. I can put it in before I even start my flow. It doesn't feel like you are ripping your insides out like it does when removing a tampon. Not to mention the positive effect on the environment.

I've had mine over 7 years now.

I have the Keeper. It has a learning curve but once you get it down it is awesome.

A.

I ordered mine online, and it was about $20, two years ago. It's now selling on the same site for $35. I haven't had to replace mine yet.

In all fairness, I wanted to say that I still get cramps using the Keeper. (Though I have always gotten pretty bad cramps.) When they are especially bad, I do switch to a cloth pad for a little bit, which definitely helps.

It has changed my life. My periods are lighter. I have almost zero leaks now. I can put it in before I even start my flow. It doesn't feel like you are ripping your insides out like it does when removing a tampon. Not to mention the positive effect on the environment.

I have the Keeper. It has a learning curve but once you get it down it is awesome.

Same here, but I have a moon cup, been using it over 7 years, it cost about $20.00 on sale. I love that you can't feel it when it's in, you only have to empty it about once a day on a heavy day (well at least that's what I do) and it's like you're not even on your period!

??? My cramps are before anything is inserted ;)

some months I get no cramps at all.

I have almost zero leaks now. I can put it in before I even start my flow. It doesn't feel like you are ripping your insides out like it does when removing a tampon. Not to mention the positive effect on the environment.

I think using tampons depends a lot on the same things that using a cup does: instruction and a learning curve. You only get the "ripping out your insides" feeling [or leaking] if you are using the wrong size. Once i got that down, they are awesome ;)

I'm not convinced of the possible positive effects on the environment in comparison w/ producing [and disposing of] plastic cups.

There's also concern about the effects of the cup w/ women in third world countries trying to use cups w/ non-potable water, and sharing cups due to cost, thus transmitting STDs and infections. At least, that's what the diva site mentions as a concern right now. Those are the areas that would do best w/ disposable tampons.

I'm not convinced of the possible positive effects on the environment in comparison w/ producing [and disposing of] plastic cups.

There's also concern about the effects of the cup w/ women in third world countries trying to use cups w/ non-potable water, and sharing cups due to cost, thus transmitting STDs and infections. At least, that's what the diva site mentions as a concern right now. Those are the areas that would do best w/ disposable tampons.

I think for most of us that use a cup, we are using 1 cup over several years. I've had my Mooncup from Diva, same one for 7 years now. The only thing that I dispose of is the liquid.

Also, in a normally clean environment when washed properly, there isn't really anything wrong with reinserting it. I've never had problems. Tampons just dry me out. I tried using them once when we were camping, after using the menstrual cup, tampons were SO uncomfortable.

I dare anyone to use a cup and then go back to using a tampon. You can't feel the menstrual cup when it's inserted correctly, I could not say the same thing for anything else that I ever used.

I think using tampons depends a lot on the same things that using a cup does: instruction and a learning curve. You only get the "ripping out your insides" feeling [or leaking] if you are using the wrong size. Once i got that down, they are awesome ;)

My cramps usually come before any discharge too, but there have been times where I got intense cramps after inserting a tampon, and one time it happened after inserting my cup. I immediately removed them and switched to just a pad. I have not had that problem with the cup once I was used to using it.

For me, I could never find the 'right' tampon- either it was too small and was saturated way too quickly, or it was too large and was always painful to remove- even if I wore it for 8 hours. :tongue_smilie:

Sometimes, I would ache while wearing a tampon and then I'd just have to take a break from using them.

Different strokes for different folks. :)

I'm another vote for the Diva Cup.

I have a very heavy cycle...about 180ml blood loss over the course of my cycle. Average cycle is 30ml average and 88ml is considered menorrhagia. I have to use a pad still because of how heavy my cycles are but at least I'm not housebound anymore.

I can't use tampons, not even the largest size. I saturate them in less than an hour, leak badly, and have them start sliding down. The cup doesn't leak as much or slide down for me.

I think for most of us that use a cup, we are using 1 cup over several years. I've had my Mooncup from Diva, same one for 7 years now. The only thing that I dispose of is the liquid.

Also, in a normally clean environment when washed properly, there isn't really anything wrong with reinserting it. I've never had problems. Tampons just dry me out. I tried using them once when we were camping, after using the menstrual cup, tampons were SO uncomfortable.

I dare anyone to use a cup and then go back to using a tampon. You can't feel the menstrual cup when it's inserted correctly, I could not say the same thing for anything else that I ever used.

i understand that one cup lasts a while, but when you've got lotsa gals using them, it adds up.

i'm sure that in a normally clean environment they're fine -- i was simply stating what the site itself said.

i can't feel a tampon when inserted correctly either [??], and I KNOW i would not want to be dumping blood out of a cup. sorry. not for me. I'd rather have it absorbed completely. ;)

I'd take you up on your dare, but i wouldn't spend the money to acquire a cup......

and joannqn --YIKES! but I'm glad you have something that works for you :)

Hmmm, I always, always get them at Costco - a huge box of Tampax in the vitamin/toiletries/pharmacy section. Some items at Costco seem to come and go, but I've always found these in stock.

I love Costco so much, but we don't get there often enough because the ferry to get off-island is so expensive now. We're in a catch-22, paying more for everything at the island stores, because we can only afford to leave and stock up at Costco on a very occasional basis. When we do make it off, we fill the car tup o the ceiling with huge amounts of TP, rice, pasta, reams of paper, etc., etc. I had a roll of Costco kitchen garbage bags that literally lasted for five years!

Wow, I am impressed at how many women are using various brands of reusable cups. I may have to consider changing my ways!

And mine were the entire length of my period. Now I don't get them at all. I was just sharing what many women have found to be a huge benefit of the menstrual cups.

I can see what you mean when talking about the disposable cups (what are they called? Instead?) But the Diva is made of silicone and lasts an average of 10 years. How is that going to have more of an effect on the environment than the large number of tampons a women would use throughout her menstruating years? Particularly since tampons are made with conventionally grown cotton, which is terrible for the environment.

I can see what you mean when talking about the disposable cups (what are they called? Instead?) But the Diva is made of silicone and lasts an average of 10 years. How is that going to have more of an effect on the environment than the large number of tampons a women would use throughout her menstruating years? Particularly since tampons are made with conventionally grown cotton, which is terrible for the environment.

that's a good question. what does it take to produce the cup? to dispose of it? mining silicone ain't exactly a walk in the park either.

even recycling plants/ trucks are terrible for the environment. I figger if we really wanted to sit down and dig through details about each one, there's enough blame to go around, so i wouldn't base a decision about either on environmental impact. but that's just me. ;)