Menu

If you wanted to go back and pick up phonics for a 4th grader

My 6 y/o boy loves it. It is an online program. THe reward for the work done is "playground time" on the virtual playground which is a portal to hundreds of learning games. It is all animated. The parent can choose what level that they work at or have access to, how long to do play time, etc.

The first grade is all phonics for language arts. You could try it free for 2 weeks and if he thought it was too "babyish" you wouldn't be out anything. You could even pick and choose which sounds you wanted him to work on.

kdheinold (at) verizon (dot) net if you have any other questions.

You might want to look into all-about-spelling.com for him. It's a spelling program, but teaches all sounds. It's helped mine with both spelling and reading.

HTH,

I was going to suggest All About Spelling as well.

I've used the Writing Road to Reading. In fact, the reason I started it was because my dd, in 3rd gr at the time, was having difficulting spelling. The phonics program I had used had not used a combined approach for the encoding and decoding of phonograms. After 2yrs with WRTR, she ihas greatly improved. My 1st gr ds is excelling with reading, writing, and spelling. I have been very pleased with the results. Many people complain that it is too complicated to follow. I never felt that it was complicated; it just took time to read the text several times and take notes. Then I just began using what was recommended, tweaking it for us.

HTH,

Jennifer

Unfortunately, we tried AAS and didn't like it. :( I will research some of the other suggestions. He is a terrible speller as well, and I really wish AAS had worked for us. I didn't like the teaching of it and he told me it was the most boring spelling he has ever done in his life (and way too easy...at least book 1 was).

ETA: Oddly enough, he is a pretty good reader. Go figure. And he reads books on a 5th-7th grade level...and understand what he has read. He just has trouble sounding out words that are bigger or more confusing because he never learned phonetic sounds or blends.

correct the whole word approach Calvert taught him. His confidence and reading abilitiy just took off with this approach. It's quick, efficient, and doesn't make them feel like they are stepping backward - YKWIM?

That is also how I taught my middle ds to read and what I'm now using with my youngest.

If you're not familiar with SWR, you'd want the cards and phonogram cd so you are sure you are pronouncing them correctly. http://swrtraining.com/id51.html

After your dc has learned the phonograms and gets going with reading, I'd consider Megawords, it works on spelling by syllables and progressing in reading.

If you just get the flash cards you are not spending much and you're not changing your whole spelling program to something really parent intensive. You can keep going with whatever spelling program you like but this will help with understanding different sounds and spellings.

Reading Reflex was originally designed to be remedial. It's also inexpensive - you might even be able to get it through the library.

I just found out ABeCeDarian uses the same methodology (which I love), but has workbooks - I'm thinking of getting level C or maybe even the fast level B for my dd8 who reads quite well but occasionally has trouble with long new words and spells horribly. She picked up reading quickly enough that I'm wondering if I didn't reinforce the basics enough, and if reviewing them would help with the spelling. The fast level B goes over the basics again but quickly for an older kid and the level C focuses on Latin-based words and has a spelling book as well.

My lessons are specifically designed for students taught with sight words. They include spelling as well as reading, and work with multi-syllable words and syllable division. Besides my lessons, I would recommend nonsense words (and Webster's Speller, like Deena said.)

My game makes nonsense words http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

and also the program "We All Can Read," which is also designed for older students taught with sight words: http://weallcanread.com/

Here is my web page about how to work with a student taught with sight words: http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/remedialstudents.html

You can give the MWIA to track progress and figure out when you've done enough phonics. When the slowdown is within 10 or 15 percent, you've done enough that the phonics is automated. Advances in reading ability will come before the slowdown closes. At first, the student's reading speed will slow down as they learn to process words in a new manner. Eventually, as they get good at sounding out words, their reading speed will speed up to faster than before remediation.

Here's the MWIA and some other tests you can use:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/readinggradeleve.html

Edit: Back on the Right Track Reading is another program specifically designed for older students who need to learn phonics: http://www.righttrackreading.com/index.html

Edited by ElizabethB

If you just get the flash cards you are not spending much and you're not changing your whole spelling program to something really parent intensive. You can keep going with whatever spelling program you like but this will help with understanding different sounds and spellings.

:iagree:I got the flashcards from WRTR.

How to Teach Spelling (from EPS) is a great program that teaches all of the rules in an easy way like AAS. It is good for an older student. There is a lot of dictation of words, phrases and sentences, so the teacher is involved. There are also workbooks though, I am using those this summer so that it gets reviewed quickly.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

My dd was taught the same way. Her sounding out was scary! We did OPGTTR, it was not a good fit to us. Her guessing at the words made it hard. Next we did Phonincs Pathways. It was tough to. I really wanted to find something that pulled the words apart. We went with Abeka. They only go up to 2nd grade, but it gave more than enough instruction, review and drill to get the sounds memorized. This year her reading took off. She even reminds her younger brothers of the special sounds. It was great. Jen

ETA: Oddly enough, he is a pretty good reader. Go figure. And he reads books on a 5th-7th grade level...and understand what he has read. He just has trouble sounding out words that are bigger or more confusing because he never learned phonetic sounds or blends.

Have you read this article on Stealth Dyslexia? Good reading combined with poor spelling is common.

Have you looked at Megawords?

Merry :-)