Menu

WWYB?? What would you buy?? (Car confusion)

Okay, if you could buy any of the following, what would you pick and why?

Or, if you own something in a similar class as any of these, and you really like it, what is it and what do you love about it??

Bear in mind that I'm looking at older models (around '02) of these because we want to pay cash.

Chevy Tahoe

Lexus RX300

Toyota Highlander

Honda Odyssey

Let me just say that I have owned 4 Dodge vans in my life and 3 Suburbans. I just sold my Pontiac Vibe that I thought was my dream car (I just think they are SO cute) because it was just TOO small, noisy and bumpy.

I want something cool (I'm 41 with 4 teens). It doesn't HAVE to seat more than 5 because all my teens except one have cars and dh has a truck that will seat us all (on the rare occasion we all go somewhere together). I want a nice, quiet ride (more like a car). I want a reasonable amount of cargo space. I want roomy back seats (cuz I DO have teens).

So hive, tell me, what DO I want??

Chevy Tahoe

Lexus RX300

Toyota Highlander

Honda Odyssey

I'd get some independent evaluations on all the models you are considering. There used to be a magazine that we used years ago to narrow down the choices - and now I cannot think of the name.

The last car we purchased was recommended by our mechanic and we have not regretted it.

The upkeep on a Lexus - especially if it needs work - is costly. Believe me. My parents each have one, and they gave their old one to my oldest son. Nice, nice cars, but ouch! if they need something major.

US vehicles just don't have the reliability of Honda or Toyota. I think your best bet would be to go with either the Honda or the Toyota. We have a Toyota Sienna and two Honda Civics...great vehicles.

Ria

I just bought a Toyota Sienna, but was seriously looking at the Honda Odyssey as well. I can't say either of these cars are "cool", but they both rate very well for performance and reliability. I am really loving my Sienna after driving around a huge, clunky GMC Yukon for the last couple of years.

Lisa

Several of my friends drive the Honda van and really like it. The leg room for the driver and leg room in the back seats was the deciding factor for us. My husband is tall and we wanted to make sure we would be comfortable on trips. We ended up choosing the Toyota Sequoia. It did not make your list. We have had it for almost 5 yrs. with no problems and it drives like a dream. Very quiet and smooth. I love it and have no plans to change vehicles. Not great on gas though.

I went from a Suburban to an Odyssey and have been very pleased with the van. BUT! I have three kids in car seats / boosters, so the configuration and ease of getting everyone in is a factor in that. As is gas mileage.

If you are entertaining a specific Yukon, I would strongly urge you to look at the ratings for that specific year and model. Our Suburban is a '97 and, after the fact, I looked around at reliability reviews... suffice to say, about the only thing that did not get a black mark was the seats (and they do continue to function). Meanwhile, we've replaced the engine, the alternator, the transmission, had wipers that didn't work in the rain (but did work when it wasn't raining) and a whole host of wacky problems. Apparently, that year was simply not a good one for Suburbans.

If you want a car-like ride, I'd go with the Honda or the Lexus. (Or, my personal preference, a Volvo wagon.:001_smile:)

I just bought a Toyota Sienna, but was seriously looking at the Honda Odyssey as well. I can't say either of these cars are "cool", but they both rate very well for performance and reliability. I am really loving my Sienna after driving around a huge, clunky GMC Yukon for the last couple of years.

Lisa

I test drove a 2002 Sienna last week and fell in love. It's funny because a few months ago, I test drove another Sienna (I think a 2000 model) and hated it. This one was fabulous though. Unfortunately, the mileage was waaaay higher than my husband and I wanted.

We're going to look at an '02 Odyssey tomorrow.

We recently bought a used Lexus RX350 and love it! It has a nice smooth ride and good power. The back seat was the most comfortable and roomy of all of those we tried. Consumer Reports gives it really high ratings for reliability. I love its looks--it doesn't look like a big, bulky SUV. We're getting pretty good gas mileage too.

If you need repairs they can be expensive if you go to a dealer (not nearly as expensive as BMW :D). Find a good mechanic who works with Japanese cars and you can fix it up for less. (We have rarely needed repairs for any of our cars.)

Okay, if you could buy any of the following, what would you pick and why?

Or, if you own something in a similar class as any of these, and you really like it, what is it and what do you love about it??

Bear in mind that I'm looking at older models (around '02) of these because we want to pay cash.

Chevy Tahoe

Lexus RX300

Toyota Highlander

Honda Odyssey

Let me just say that I have owned 4 Dodge vans in my life and 3 Suburbans. I just sold my Pontiac Vibe that I thought was my dream car (I just think they are SO cute) because it was just TOO small, noisy and bumpy.

I want something cool (I'm 41 with 4 teens). It doesn't HAVE to seat more than 5 because all my teens except one have cars and dh has a truck that will seat us all (on the rare occasion we all go somewhere together). I want a nice, quiet ride (more like a car). I want a reasonable amount of cargo space. I want roomy back seats (cuz I DO have teens).

Can't go wrong with a Toyota or Honda (I've owned both and am currently driving a Sienna). Personally, I think the Sienna has a more "car like" ride than the Odyssey (thought that could have changed in the few years since I test drove the Odyssey).

If you want cool, eliminate the van. Vans are not cool; vans scream MOM!:lol:

and, go to http://www.edmunds.com and you can do some comparing on the older models, read the road tests, and see what the actual cost of ownership is for each vehicle selected. Unlike CR, you don't have to be a subscriber to use their site.

And, personally, I'd pick the Toyota.

The Sequoia didn't make my list solely based on gas mileage - same with the Nissan Armada. I just know I don't want to be back there if the gas prices rise.

Today I'm looking at the Lexus I drove Saturday again, and looking at a Highlander. I really am afraid there will be no comparison as far as ride, but I hope they are comparable. I am actually going to call my mechanic and ask about the costs to fix the Lexus. It's just a fancy Toyota, so I'm guessing he works on them.

Anyway, I'll give an update later for any who are interested...

though I was very impressed with the ride of the Highlander, none of the ones I saw today really met my criteria. (I have to say, the Lexus is just hanging on, even though I wanted to rule it out based on potential repair costs - my mechanic did tell me it would be considerably higher because you can ONLY use Lexus parts).

I drove a Honda Pilot too, and was much more impressed with the ride than I remembered (my brother has one). I think I preferred the smooth ride of the Highlander. It really is almost as smooth as the Lexus (though not quite as quiet). The Lexus also offers the side airbags in the '02's, which is nice.

Another I failed to mention was the Acura MDX. I really like the looks of it too, but don't know how it would compare on gas mileage. I need to look it up.

And as far as where I'm buying, it'll just depend on where I find the one that "fits." I've mostly looked at dealers, but I watch craigslist daily and have watched our "wheels" section in our paper. I've also used some online resources.

Can I just say that car shopping is a TOTAL drag! This is not nearly as fun as it should be!! I do know that it will be fun to be driving something I really like!

not to unduly distress those who own Toyotas or Lexus.

I looked up Lexus info and came across a complaint site. The site had TONS of posts from people who had troubles (big troubles) with their vehicles. They have an accelerator sticking issue that was a recall and, I think, a class action thing. They have some major transmission/engine issues at fairly low miles, poor customer service, etc. Suffice it to say I pretty much ruled out the Lexus.

However, and even MORE distressing, is the fact that the Toyotas have been having many of the same issues. I linked to that complaint thing and found tons more complaints regarding the toyotas (many models, including my precious little Highlander). Again with the accelerator sticking (one woman had to hit something to stop her car, and she rolled it - it's very scary). There is also an apparent "sludge" problem with the oil. It seems it turns to sludge and does thousands worth of damage. It's something I'm going to research some more when I'm not so exhausted!

They do rank up there on safety though, but I must say that if you really get to reading all the things that can happen and the safety stuff, it makes you not want to buy ANY car. I feel like I'm back to square 1.

not to unduly distress those who own Toyotas or Lexus.

I looked up Lexus info and came across a complaint site. The site had TONS of posts from people who had troubles (big troubles) with their vehicles. They have an accelerator sticking issue that was a recall and, I think, a class action thing. They have some major transmission/engine issues at fairly low miles, poor customer service, etc. Suffice it to say I pretty much ruled out the Lexus.

However, and even MORE distressing, is the fact that the Toyotas have been having many of the same issues. I linked to that complaint thing and found tons more complaints regarding the toyotas (many models, including my precious little Highlander). Again with the accelerator sticking (one woman had to hit something to stop her car, and she rolled it - it's very scary). There is also an apparent "sludge" problem with the oil. It seems it turns to sludge and does thousands worth of damage. It's something I'm going to research some more when I'm not so exhausted!

They do rank up there on safety though, but I must say that if you really get to reading all the things that can happen and the safety stuff, it makes you not want to buy ANY car. I feel like I'm back to square 1.

You are going to find complaint sites for every vehicle that you can buy. Buy a copy of the Consumer Reports (used) Car issue. It has repair scores for each vehicle by year and listed by things like transmission, electronics, etc. It will make you feel much better.

Okay, I'm going to just act like a know it all and tell you which car you should buy hands down!!!

My background: My father is the world's most knowledgeable man about cars..he put 400k on our Volvo, he bought fixed engines for everything from MGB's, Chevrolet Camaro's, T-bird, Toyota's, you name it, he can do it. He flew airplanes for fun, he's just one of those tinkerers that really should have been an inventor, his mind is so amazing...he majored in accounting and worked as a controller for several dealerships...he eventually found he loved the sales side of cars and it got him outdoors which he loves, no desk for him. the past 25 years he has sold Toyotas and now works for Lexus (past 5 years)..he has seen thousands of cars come in as trade ins and heard the stories..he knows his stuff better than anyone.

Sooo...after picking his brain for the last 20 years on vehicles...his recommendation for you would be out of those choices,

ONLY the Honda Odyssey..he would also recommend the Toyota Sienna as others have stated...the issue about the sludge has been dealt with and my Sienna is a '99..never had the sludge issue b/c I was using full-synthetic oil the whole time..we have 150k on our Toyota and have never had any engine repairs, just replacing tires and oil for 10 years.

He said for comfort and space (there will be times where you'll WANT extra space, neat feature with the vans, the back seats fold back and out for tailgating, so you can sit from the back of your van and fish! Or watch the fireworks, concerts...football parties...it's really a nice feature..plus all the storage for groceries when you need it....)

Now, if you want to avoid all the expenses with cars...follow these suggestions...

1. Change your oil (full-synthetic, stick with the SAME brand as the formulations are slightly different per brand) every 6 months...you don't need to do it sooner or later than that. Get that air filter changed as well and it's BEST to stick to your maker's oil filter, if you go to Wal-Mart for your oil changes or somewhere else other than the maker, just buy their parts.

2. Flush your engine oil (must go to a place that has that specific equipment) about every 60-80k miles.

3. Change your timing belt every 80-100k miles..usually changing other belts at this time as well..

4. Check tire pressure monthly, rotate tires, align.

I can ask my Dad for more but those are generally his 'bare minimum' laws of keeping a GOOD car running, you could do the same for those other cars you mentioned (Lexus is fine, but upkeep is a pain!) and STILL have problems...

One thing to consider on the new cars, they mostly do not come with a spare tire, they have what you call 'run flat' tires..sounds nice, but there have been complaints...from what I've read, as LONG as you check tire pressure, maintain alignment (serves you well to pay for that liftetime alignment of the car) and rotate..the tires will last you more than 40k miles...but many people don't do those things and these tires are lasting less than 20k...they're EXPENSIVE!!! Sometimes costing more than $1500 for a set of them...it takes a special tool to be able to take them off and on and some dealerships don't have them...

There, you've just received the best advice...now my father who is probably the top salesmen at his Lexus dealership and won all the sales awards at Toyota...has NEVER bought a new car. He drives a 1989 Toyota Corolla (Lexus will pay for him to lease a Lexus..but he takes the money instead) that has over 250k miles on it...cars are an EXPENSE not an INVESTMENT...key words for everyone!! :)

Now, if you want advice on going in there and getting the best deal! I can share that story with you...I've done it 3x (yes, I disappoint my Dad and buy new, but I always come out with a great deal thanks to my Dad and no I've only bought one car from him! :)) It takes TIME and patience, but if a dealership is going to deal they will...ultimately I got my deals b/c I had 8 hours of my day (had to take a vacation day on one deal, thought for sure I could do it in under..but it took 8 hours!!) to spend on it...eventually they thought I deserved it I guess...and I made them laugh the whole day! :)

Enjoy the fun!! And a warning, you can't get a deal if you're stuck on a certain color, not gonna happen! :)

Tara