Menu

Let's play a game...I'm going on a Nature Study Walk and I'm taking with me a...

Sue G in PA

. . . and (if the kids are younger) "bracelets" made of masking tape, sticky side out, onto which they can stick finds from the ground (pine needles, little pine cones, etc.).

. . . and a guide book for plants and animals (including info. about identifying tracks and scat).

(and water and snacks and a thermos of cocoa and a change of clothes and first aid kit and . . . have a great time!)

_____________ (fill in the blank!). :)

Well I would "want" to take Patricia in WAs camera :D but since I cant... I would take mine.... I would bring water, an empty backpack with little baggies in it to take things home if we want and eager kids... maybe a snack if we get the munchies...:)

We bring:

-backpacks (each person carries their own)

-camera

-notebooks

-pencils

-zipper bags (unless we are in a state or national park or nature preserve where sampling is generally illegal)

-water bottles

-snacks and/or lunch

-first-aid kit

-garden gloves (so we can pick up items with thorns or muddy)

-sunscreen

-insect repellent

-hat

-kerchiefs (great for holding rocks, wrapping dirty specimens, wiping sweat, holding on a bandage...)

-nature guides

Bright Bright colored clothes...Just in case a tick gets on one of you, so that you can hopefully see it before it tries to bite your neck three hours after your hike! (Yep! It happened to my ds today and I was FREAKED out!!!!):eek: We got the tick and squished him, though, so ds is fine. Needless to say, I'll be doing a ton of laundry this weekend and vacuuming the car tomorrow, and cleaning and cleaning and Ewwwww!!!! We kept telling ds to stay on the path, but boys will be boys and hey, he even climbed a tree and sat in it----which is probably where he got the tick. Poor Sister cried and cried during tonights bath b/c I comb through every single curl in her precious little head and she has a lot of hair! Anyway, just be careful on your nature walk. This makes the third time in the past five years that we've dealt with a tick incident. (I'm giving up that particular trail, BTW.) Sigh! Did I say, Ewwwwww!!!! Have fun

in addition to the above...

• a walking stick (for some reason they all love having a walking stick and save their favorites),
  • cell phone (for emergencies),
  • blanket to sit on while eating or sketching,
  • a book (to read aloud while on the blanket),
  • a "bug collector" (those little cage-like things for catching and keep bugs for observation ~ Blecch!)

(because yes we do go though I gave up on being full fledged CM)...

A shotgun (for the alligators...this way my kids can get near the water)

A gas mask (so when the lawn guys decide they need to spray *that part* of the lawn *right then* we can all can don a gas mask)

latex gloves (so when the kids play in the dirt I don't have to worry whehter permethrin has been sprayed recently for the fire ants)

charcoal, and a spanking implement (so when my kids ingest sap, or bark from any of the thousands of highly posinonous Oleander plants, first I can save their lives, then I can spank them.)

A leash (so my 4 year old will stay away from the lake)

Okay. I'm all set for a good time.