Menu

Very mild adult autism?

I have the strangest most bizarre question.

Dh is allergic to milk & chocolate--enough that he actually avoids them in their raw forms. But he does eat cheese, butter, etc. I recently found out that these less milky products are bothering him, he just hadn't mentioned it. Milk itself inhibits his breathing, & he's acutely asthmatic & has lots of allergies (not just food). There have been season of our marriage when he was just sick. all. the. time.

Apparently he notices the same effects to a lesser degree when he eats things like cheese. I only asked him because I'd noticed in a thread here that people w/ milk allergies can have things like excema when they have milk. Dh has some kind of skin issue that we've never identified or worried about. After reading off & on for the last few mos, I'm pretty sure it's excema.

He's also allergic to wheat. His allergist found this when he was a child, & mil just thought avoiding wheat would be too hard, so he has never really been off of it.

In reading about how to move toward a more dairy-free, wheat-free kind of diet, I came across a lot of autism research linking autism to wheat & milk allergies. I figure that it's just a coincidence--we've got a close friend w/ Asperger's, & dh is nothing like that.

BUT he's got a handful of idiosyncricies (sp?) that... you know, you just get used to. We've argued over his lack of eye contact before. I'm sure that could happen w/ anyone. Sometimes he spaces out. The worst was when I came home to find him sitting in the middle of a dark room. Doing nothing. He has a habit of picking at his skin, mainly his forearms. This increases (& eye contact decreases) when he gets stressed out.

What I found really interesting was the observation that autistic children were exhibiting similar behavior to opium addicts because--they think--these kids can't process wheat & milk. The wheat & milk have similar effects to opium, incl. addiction.

I looked up symptoms of opium addiction, out of curiosity, &--as is always true on the internet--I found more similarities. Trouble concentrating. To the point that I finally insisted that dh have an ADD test done. Not for me, but because he was so convinced he was ADD. He was really relieved that the test showed he did not have ADD but at the same time... I think he felt more at a loss to explain his forgetfulness, etc. And I mean forgetful to the point of being dangerous.

Most of the other symptoms listed--lethargy, shallow breathing, low libido--are ongoing problems for dh.

I don't know if I even have a question. Obviously, dh needs to be off of wheat & dairy. (Really, butter, too???) I guess...I just wanted a place where I could synthesize all the info & see if it was making sense. Could these allergies really be as far-reaching across these symptoms & behaviors as it looks like they might? My poor dh. If his diet could make that much of a difference...he doesn't even know what kind of man he might be!

Well, I can't speak of the "symptoms" you describe though I do have a kid on the spectrum (though no one IRL can tell anymore).

I can tell you that there are things called Shadow Syndromes. Just as a shadow would be, they can be fairly light or heavier, but regardless, not enough for a diagnosis. My mother first learned of them in college and when she started doing research, felt relieved there were answers for certain things. It also explains a bit with one of my kids.

Anyway, so he most certainly could not have enough issues for a dx but still be effected by what symptoms he does have :)

Hi Aubrey,

Yes, everything you wrote makes sense and it is all possible. I think you should try for the diet and see what happens.

My dh suffers from alot of issues and after all these years, we are learning that his #1 battle is with diet. He, like your dh, has food allergies that was ignored by his mom. I will say mil didn't know better. But continually assaulting one's body with the things that it is allergic to, makes the body toxic.

Since changing diet, he is a different person. Even much of our marital issues cleared up.

Your dh is fortunate to have you. Keeping going.

Blessings,

Ruthie

Aubrey, I'd just start with the diet issues. Commit to one full month of living wheat and dairy free (completely, yes, "even butter", etc). If sounds completely overwhelming at first, but I promise it *is* doable, with a little planning. Don't even *worry* about the other stuff, just focus on feeding your family well. Then, at the end of the month, reevaluate some of these other behaviors...

Breakfast:

Eggs (obviously no cheese or butter on them -- salsa would be okay, or cheeseless omelets)

Grits with salt and pepper

Corn or rice-based cereal (you will have to read ingredients carefully) with a milk substitute or apple juice

(In the long term, oats may be fine for him, but I'd skip them during your experimental month, since they are often cross-contaminated with wheat due to the way they're grown and processed in the US.)

Fresh fruit.

Homemade breakfast potatoes.

Bacon...

Lunches and dinners:

Asian dishes that serve meat and vegetables with rice are great

Roast chicken or meat with potatoes (baked, mashed with a little chicken broth, roasted) and steamed or roasted veggies

Vegetable soups

Chili with cornbread (you'll have to make your own from scratch -- the mixes all have wheat)

Lentil stew with rice

Couscous *style* meals with quinoa instead (couscous is wheat)

Roast pork with homemade cornbread dressing (using the leftovers from your chili meal)

Red beans and rice

Black bean and corn salad

large salads with grilled chicken or garbanzo beans for protein

barbecued chicken with a vinegar-based cole slaw (make it yourself) and baked beans

A big spaghetti squash cooked and tossed with spaghetti sauce or homemade pesto or roasted veggies

Mexican food -- corn tortillas, rice, beans, meat, lettuce, salsa, veggies -- just make it yourself and skip the flour tortillas and the cheese...

It will sounds scary at first, but it *can* be done.

And after a full *month* you'll have given his body time to work through most of the residual effects, you'll have gotten a little used to cooking that way, and you'll both be in a better position to decide whether it's making a difference in his life. (Or just adding to the general insanity of yours...) ;)

I don't know if it's possible or not, though it seems logical to me.

One thing I know for certain--if he is allergic to milk and wheat but still eating it there ARE problems. His skin and breathing issues are definitely being impacted by the constant assault of allergens--these are classic allergic responses. He probably will not realize it until he has been off them totally for a while.

Do the work of getting him off his allergens. Commit to it for a minimum of three months. It will feel overwhelming at first, but you WILL find substitutes and life will go on. Do not evaluate until the end of that three months as it can take quite a while for the body to truly "clear" and function in better health.

ETA: Run a search here on the board for dairy substitutes as it has been discussed before. We use plain soy milk for baking and rice milk for breakfast cereal. Also Earth Balance has a vegan butter that is quite good. Read your labels carefully and obsessively--there is milk or casein or whey (milk proteins) in everything.

Edited by strider

If you are ever close enough when he "spaces out" quickly move it and flick your fingers as close to his eyes as possible. if he does NOT flinch or blink...it is an absence seizure.

You just want to check and make sure.

I agree - read Shadow Syndromes.

Aubrey,

My second and, especially, fourth kiddos are extremely sensitive and allergic to dairy products, respectively. We switched to a dairy free lifestyle several years ago, mainly to help my dd (2nd child) breathe -- she had sleep apnea at the time. We invested in a soy milk maker, bought bulk soybeans and brown rice, and have literally and financially reaped the benefits of making our own soy and almond milks. For "butter" we use (oh, dagnabbit, what is it???) Smart Balance (not the butter/soy blend - the stuff in the tub). It's great for cooking, baking, and spreading.

I found that I had to read labels very carefully (I also have one w/peanut allergies). Look for all the "other" words for diary (and wheat as well for you). I can't help you with the wheat problem. I'm sure others here are much more knowledgable about that. Good Luck hon.

I really like Abbeye's suggestion about focusing solely on diet right now and for a month or so.

Aubrey,

My second and, especially, fourth kiddos are extremely sensitive and allergic to dairy products, respectively. We switched to a dairy free lifestyle several years ago, mainly to help my dd (2nd child) breathe -- she had sleep apnea at the time. We invested in a soy milk maker, bought bulk soybeans and brown rice, and have literally and financially reaped the benefits of making our own soy and almond milks. For "butter" we use (oh, dagnabbit, what is it???) Smart Balance (not the butter/soy blend - the stuff in the tub). It's great for cooking, baking, and spreading.

I found that I had to read labels very carefully (I also have one w/peanut allergies). Look for all the "other" words for diary (and wheat as well for you). I can't help you with the wheat problem. I'm sure others here are much more knowledgable about that. Good Luck hon.

I really like Abbeye's suggestion about focusing solely on diet right now and for a month or so.

The soy milk is a wonderful idea, but I'm pretty sure he's allergic to soy, too. That one hasn't been diagnosed, but...he tried using soy for coffee, cereal, etc when ds1 was a toddler...because of dh's milk allergies, we delayed milk w/ #1...&...the soymilk still bothered dh, although he said it was better than cow milk.

The soy milk is a wonderful idea, but I'm pretty sure he's allergic to soy, too. That one hasn't been diagnosed, but...he tried using soy for coffee, cereal, etc when ds1 was a toddler...because of dh's milk allergies, we delayed milk w/ #1...&...the soymilk still bothered dh, although he said it was better than cow milk.

Soy can also exacerbate libido issues some men, as it is an estrogen mimic.

Keep in mind that autism and ADD are diagnoses based on behaviors. There are many causes for behaviors, and once the underlying medical problems are treated, many of those behaviors go away, sometimes permanently. If he has food allergies he isn't dealing with, it's likely they are at the root of his problems. However, with strict avoidance for an extended period of time, he may no longer have any of the problems you mentioned. It's amazing what food allergies can do to a person when left untreated. I'll PM you with some ideas later.

Aubrey, I'd just start with the diet issues. Commit to one full month of living wheat and dairy free (completely, yes, "even butter", etc). If sounds completely overwhelming at first, but I promise it *is* doable, with a little planning. Don't even *worry* about the other stuff, just focus on feeding your family well. Then, at the end of the month, reevaluate some of these other behaviors...

Breakfast:

Eggs (obviously no cheese or butter on them -- salsa would be okay, or cheeseless omelets)

Grits with salt and pepper

Corn or rice-based cereal (you will have to read ingredients carefully) with a milk substitute or apple juice

(In the long term, oats may be fine for him, but I'd skip them during your experimental month, since they are often cross-contaminated with wheat due to the way they're grown and processed in the US.)

Fresh fruit.

Homemade breakfast potatoes.

Bacon...

Lunches and dinners:

Asian dishes that serve meat and vegetables with rice are great

Roast chicken or meat with potatoes (baked, mashed with a little chicken broth, roasted) and steamed or roasted veggies

Vegetable soups

Chili with cornbread (you'll have to make your own from scratch -- the mixes all have wheat)

Lentil stew with rice

Couscous *style* meals with quinoa instead (couscous is wheat)

Roast pork with homemade cornbread dressing (using the leftovers from your chili meal)

Red beans and rice

Black bean and corn salad

large salads with grilled chicken or garbanzo beans for protein

barbecued chicken with a vinegar-based cole slaw (make it yourself) and baked beans

A big spaghetti squash cooked and tossed with spaghetti sauce or homemade pesto or roasted veggies

Mexican food -- corn tortillas, rice, beans, meat, lettuce, salsa, veggies -- just make it yourself and skip the flour tortillas and the cheese...

It will sounds scary at first, but it *can* be done.

And after a full *month* you'll have given his body time to work through most of the residual effects, you'll have gotten a little used to cooking that way, and you'll both be in a better position to decide whether it's making a difference in his life. (Or just adding to the general insanity of yours...) ;)

I'm printing this.

Well, darn, is he OK with rice? Or is rice considered a wheat/gluten product? We also make almond milk which the kids and dh really like. The almond milk can be made with a blender; you don't necessarily need a soymilk maker for this. I know there are other bean/nut milks one can make; but, I'd have to post them later as I'll be in a meeting [:banghead: ] for most of the day. I'm sure other posters here will have better suggestions than I.

Well, darn, is he OK with rice? Or is rice considered a wheat/gluten product? We also make almond milk which the kids and dh really like. The almond milk can be made with a blender; you don't necessarily need a soymilk maker for this. I know there are other bean/nut milks one can make; but, I'd have to post them later as I'll be in a meeting [:banghead: ] for most of the day. I'm sure other posters here will have better suggestions than I.

I don't know if we've ever tried rice milk, but from what I've read it *ought* to be fine. LOL Almond milk sounds WONDERFUL. And I'm the picky eater. Dh is going to be in heaven this month. Esp if things such as almond milk exist in the world.

I'm going to help the dc plant some veggies, to soften the blow for them a little. We've already been cutting back on starches for a few days, & although they hate *waiting* for something to cook, they have reluctantly admitted that it's "way yummier than cereal." And I point out to them that I'm getting up 30min to an hr earlier so the wait's not as long. (Try SLEEP, people! :lol:)

Just reading through the suggestions here has made me think, "Uh, oh." We have so many allergies in our own home and I would have to say, "NO," to wheat, corn, and corn syrup, modified food starch, soy, milk, almonds, pork, bacon, (nitrites, nitrates and msg are triggers around here). Anything with yeast or mold is out. If ds, 5, has anything with yeast cooked into it his fingers swell up red and begin to crack. His feet get reddish-blue circles that peel in later stages. He also acts like a drunk. Last week dd, 14, made up a spelt flour cinnamon bread with yeast for the kids with allergies and we lost a school day to his horrible yeast-induced behavior. He couldn't subtract 3 from his 10 puffy fingers :( Dd had stubbornly thought that yeast wasn't really a problem and asked dh to bring some home from the grocery store. Goof- ups happen.

We did a total elimination diet to determine our own dc's allergies/sensitivities. It took a month for their skin to clear up. Then, we added back foods over 3 months watching to see which ones brought out the colored fingers and toes. So far, two of the dc have tested negative for Celiac disease. My own parents have said that I couldn't tolerate milk as an infant and then they gave me milk when I was older and they thought I was "over it." Milk congests me to this day. I am sure they didn't think it through. I guess, what I am saying here is that I would try a total elimination diet of the top food allergens and see if your dh's fog lifts. Bloodwork to test for free testosterone is a good idea, too.

Our family, too, is full of allergies. If he's showing a reaction to straight milk, he's also having a reaction to butter and cheese, even if you're not seeing it. My son's doctor said that all milk products will produce an allergic reaction in him, even if we don't see it, and that total elimination was the only way to go.

I don't have celiac disease, but I'm allergic to corn, wheat, rye, barley, oats, soybeans, and mushrooms. My allergist gave me 85-ish shots in the back with different strengths of allergens to find out what I was allergic to and how badly. Avoidance is the only thing that helps me. My reflux is better, I sleep better, and I have more energy.

I know it's expensive, but I always recommend allergy testing to people who think they have a problem with even just one or two foods. I went into allergy testing thinking I just had a problem with corn, and found out much more. Better the devil we know than the devil we don't, my mom always says.

There are certain brands that you can buy now to help avoid those grains:

Ener-G foods has bread made of white rice, brown rice, and tapioca. I recommend the tapioca-it tastes better if you lightly toast it first, though.

Kellogg's Rice Chex has recently eliminated barley malt in their cereal and replaced it with molasses. Their packages currently boast that they are gluten free and they donate to some sort of celiac foundation, I think. Off brands at my store still use barley malt, though.

Abbeyej had some great ideas, especially with Asian dishes, but definitely watch the soy sauce. Even if he doesn't react to the soy, there is still wheat starch in there.

Rice Dream makes some good varieties of milk and ice cream.

I also usually stay away from foods that list "modified food starch" because I don't know if the starch is from wheat, corn, rice, or potato.

Food for Life makes great brown rice tortillas.

Of course, there's always Bob's Red Mill for different flours-white and brown rice, and even almond.

We also like Amy's Rice Flour Crust Pizza and Rice Macaroni and Cheese--even the boy likes it!

Enjoy Life also has a couple of different varieties of rice flour based granola, as well as gluten free cereal bars that are nice and portable.

Barbara's Bakery makes a Honey Rice Puffins cereal that is gluten free.

For snacking, I pack some Larabars or Snyder's Veggie Crisps in my bag.

Sorry so long and rambling--hope this helps until you can see a doctor. Before I went in for my allergy testing, I had to avoid all antihistamines for a month, and avoiding what I thought were my problem foods helped a lot during that time.

Good luck to you all.

:001_smile:

We've become vegan so I've just bought a bunch of cookbooks off amazon. This might help a bit: The Power of Flour. Not all the recipes are wheat free but quite a few are and you can always substitute the butter and milk for vegan margarine (we use Nuttelex, don't know if you guys have that) and rice milk. There's a gluten free bread recipe too, but I only received the book two days ago so I haven't made it yet.

:)

Rosie

We've become vegan so I've just bought a bunch of cookbooks off amazon. This might help a bit: The Power of Flour. Not all the recipes are wheat free but quite a few are and you can always substitute the butter and milk for vegan margarine (we use Nuttelex, don't know if you guys have that) and rice milk. There's a gluten free bread recipe too, but I only received the book two days ago so I haven't made it yet.

:)

Rosie

I just think it's so amazing that there's so much beyond white & wheat flour. We've gotten so FAR from things. It's like wondering how to get somewhere w/out a road. When you realize how you're thinking--well, when *I* realize how I'm thinking--I feel really stupid. Of course there are other things to make flour out of. Of course cow milk isn't the only thing in the world.

Aubrey,

You are not stupid! Sheesh!

You are such an amazing person!

My grandson was diagnoses thru homepathic kind of Dr. with tons of food allergies.

Dairy

Soy

Corn

Eggs

being the major ones.

He lived on green veggies, rice milk and protein for about 2 years, but his ezceme cleared up and he's gorgeous!

Wheat is not on his list, so that made life a ton easier for my DD, but there lots and lots of choices out there. A soy allergy cuts out lots of opotions, but Rice Dream is a good alternative. There is also Rice cheese, I find it nasty, but if that was myonly option, I might grow to like it.

Gotta run, but there are tons of ladies on here who are very familiar with alternative products. A good health food store will have someone there to show you around the various options as well.

Of course there are other things to make flour out of. Of course cow milk isn't the only thing in the world.

Yeah, why not make flour out of coconut or black beans? I keep seeing coconut flour in American cookbooks but I don't think we have it here. I'm wondering if my grain mill will cope with grinding beans. I don't see why not. I think I'll feel really funky if I make black bean tortillas :) That book I mentioned does have a bit of info about substituting flours, which might come in handy for you. It includes recipes from bread, to cake, to soup. I was a bit disappointed at first glance, but having read through properly I think it's an nifty little book. I'm going to be transferring some of the wheat free ideas to the vegan cookbooks for a bit of variation. We're not allergic, but it's not healthy to overload on wheat, which happens very easily in our wheat dominated culture.

Branch out into the wonderful world of food, Aubrey!

;)

Rosie- clocking 5.40am, waiting to get back to sleep after the 4am feed. Grr.

Edited by Rosie_0801

I once evaluated a child for Early Intervention services who had classic autism traits...self stimulatory behaviors, lack of eye contact, resistance to touch, severe language delays. His parents eventually took him off of milk products, wheat, and meats. Within 6 weeks he was functioning normally. It turned out that his allergies to those food were so severe that the foods were poisoning him causing his autistic-like symptoms.

Now I often wonder how many other kids are out there like him. Kids whose parents and doctors never think to check food allergies.

Aubrey,

You've gotten a lot of good info and advice, so I'll just chime in to say that food intolerances can absolutely cause behavior issues.

Before we realized that foods were a cause, we thought Daniel had attachment disorder -- he had major temper tantrums, urinated in non-bathroom locations, he had sleep issues, was controlling, hyper, argumentative, made poor eye contact, was fidgity, wet the bed... and on and on. LOTS of "attachment disordered" behaviors. It was like living with a cross betweern the Tasmanian Devil and Tigger.

After eliminating various foods, we realized that Daniel cannot tolerate gluten or dairy or food dyes. When he eats Blue dye #1, he spins, or does other stereotypical or self-stimulating behaviors. He looks a lot like a kid with mild autism. When he eats gluten or dairy, he acts controlling, angry and hyper -- a lot like a kid with attachment disorder. (Lord help us all when he got gluten, dairy, preservatives AND colors!!)

When Daniel is OFF those foods, 99% of the problematic behaviors disappear: POOF.

So, give the GFCF diet a shot. You may find that dh comes out of a fog he didn't even know he was in!

Here are a couple of sites for eating gluten- and dairy-free:

http://www.tacanow.org

http://www.gfcfdiet.com

If you need help/information, let me know.

Hugs,

Lisa

Try the book Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. All non-dairy, most wheat-free and lots of recipes w/o soy. :)

My dh (and ds) has aspergers and while autism presents differently in everyone, those sound more like allergy symptoms than autism IME. Much of autism is missed social cues or ability to tolerate social situations.

My food allergies affect my energy and my mental state as well as cause physical issues. And, butter and cheese affect me to a lesser degree than milk, as well.

I've recently become allergic to a ton of things, but at first, I could tolerate sheep milk yogurt and sheep milk cheese (much yummier than goat milk and goat cheese.)

I've found oat milk to be a nice substitute for milk in baking, but it may have some gluten in it from cross-contamination.

Rice milk is good for cereal and mild and sweet dishes, but not so good for hearty dishes or gravies. Oat milk is better in coffee...but it's probably best to give up caffeine as well.

I would recommend a totally allergen free diet at first for 10 days, then add things in. Nothing from a box or package, just turkey, lamb, wild game, non-allergenic fruits and veggies (no nightshade veggies, tomatoes, strawberries), no spices whatsoever, just olive oil and coconut oil and palm oil shortening, just water to drink (there are tons of allergens in tea and coffee). None of the top 10 allergens: dairy, eggs, fish, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, sulfites, wheat, gluten. I would also avoid corn.

Go to a health food store. Good gluten free grains are teff flour and millet flour. Sweet potatoes are also a good starch. No potatoes at first (gluten free, but from the nightshade family.) Plain lettuce, veggies plain or fried in oil, fruit plain. You should also avoid anything he eats more than once a week. I also recommend a food rotation diet, I wish I'd started one earlier so that I wouldn't have become allergic to the new foods I added in so fast. It's good to try foods he's never eaten before, they're less likely to be allergenic for him.

Google allergy elimination diet for some ideas.

I felt worse for 3 to 5 days at the start, then felt better than I had in years...a lot more energy, I was thinking a lot more clearly, I lost weight.

At first, the food will be very plain, just meat and veggies and a bit of starch fried in oil, no seasonings or sauces. After a while, your taste buds get used to the plainness and don't mind as much. Then, when you add back in sugar and sauces, they taste marvelous, and more flavorful than ever!

Edit: At first, I just had lunch and dinner type food for breakfast, whatever I was eating that day (examples--for breakfast: tiny bit of turkey, some melon, some squash (melon and squash are in the same family, so you want to keep them on the same day) Lunch and dinner: a bit more turkey, squash, tiny bit of melon. Next day: breakfast: tiny bit of lamb, starfruit, sweet potatoes. Lunch and dinner: lamb, sweet potatoes, tiny bit of starfruit. Next day: breakfast: tiny bit of quail, mango. Lunch and dinner: quail, swiss chard, tiny bit of mango.) Rotate oils as well, using a different one each day.

You can find weird foods cheaply in ethnic markets. Also, you're very near exotic meats (San Antonio), I order meat from them, shipping should be cheap for you. I do better with exotic game than with conventional meat. However, it is expensive. Our church members supply me with venison during hunting season. I give them European chocolate purchased inexpensively from the commissary as a thank you, everyone's happy!

I think Taro is also gluten free, it's at the commissary and Kroger here. It's nice fried up in olive oil, but a pain to get all the little hairs off and cut up.

Edited by ElizabethB

Just wanted to send out a huge THANK YOU to all you wonderful people who posted all these menus, books, and other suggestions; one of my sons has numerous food allergies and this wealth of information has given me lots of food for thought! (yes, pun intended...);)

I just think it's so amazing that there's so much beyond white & wheat flour. We've gotten so FAR from things. It's like wondering how to get somewhere w/out a road. When you realize how you're thinking--well, when *I* realize how I'm thinking--I feel really stupid. Of course there are other things to make flour out of. Of course cow milk isn't the only thing in the world.

Don't feel bad. When my husband decided to go ovo-lacto vegetarian a few years ago, I suddenly could literally not think of a *single* thing to eat that did not include meat. I mean I could not think of cereal, salad, macaroni and cheese, beans, pancakes.....*anything*. The changes I was going to have to make seemed totally overwhelming. As you start to make the changes it gets better.

For dairy-free baking (for occasions when we had friends who can't tolerate dairy over), we did use the Earth Balance buttery sticks, and they work just like regular butter (the sticks are better for baking than the tub kind). *However* they do contain soy and corn, so they may not work for you.

Check out the Food Allergies and Anaphlyaxis Network (FAAN) for resources, forums, etc. http://www.foodallergy.org/

A friend who has dairy issues told me that a lot of folks with dairy issues also have problems with bananas (I have no idea why), so you may want to keep that in the back of your mind. I also had no idea that folks who are highly allergic to poison ivy may not be able to eat cashews because they are in the same family. I know several families who say they have severe issues with artificial flavors and colors, so keep that in mind. Luckily, more options are coming out now without artificial flavors or colors.

Middle Eastern markets are likely to have chickpea/garbanzo flour. Locally, we have a registry where folks who are looking for venison can be matched up with hunters who have all they can use for themselves but would like to keep hunting and want to donate the meat to someone. You might check with your cooperative extension office to see if they know of anything like that (or might be interested in starting such--might be able to include other game as well). Also don't forget to check any medicines he may need to take to see what they are using for filler/coatings/etc.

A friend who has dairy issues told me that a lot of folks with dairy issues also have problems with bananas (I have no idea why), so you may want to keep that in the back of your mind.

. . .

I know several families who say they have severe issues with artificial flavors and colors, so keep that in mind. Luckily, more options are coming out now without artificial flavors or colors.

Wow--I didn't know about the relationship between bananas & dairy, but yep. Dh is allergic to bananas. He also reacts to red dye #40.

Thanks!

I definitely believe that diet can have a major impact on other aspects of life, life brain function.

My son was diagnosed with a severe learning delay at 2 years 4 months old. They said his communication ability was that of a 9 month old. He was also delayed in cognitive and social skills. A year later, he wasn't progressing much despite a year of special ed preschool and speech therapy. After the doctor couldn't determine a cause of DS's diarrhea (5x daily for over a year), I put him on an elimination diet after school let out for the summer. I started with dairy because I'm off and on lactose intolerant and DD was allergic to it. Within 3 days the diarrhea was gone. Within 3 months he progressed from barely being able to put two words together, to speaking in complete sentences. His special ed teacher and speech therapist were shocked when they saw him at the beginning of the school year. Midway through that school year, he no longer qualified for special services.

Today (age 7), you'd never know he had problems. His apraxia is completely gone. He's significantly ahead in school. He excels in taekwondo. He had a good attention span and ability to focus. All it took was dealing with a dietary issue.