Menu

Shel Silverstein for poetry?

MrsMe

My dc read them for fun...I read them as a child too. Somewhere along about 4th grade, lines like "anything can happen child, anything can be" really sparked the ol' imagination here. In fact, I memorized them just from reading them so much! I would read them into a tape recorder and play it back, to hear myself and try to improve my recitations. Hmmmm...should have known I was destined for hs! The poems were encouraging and hopeful and funny all at the same time...just what I needed. Now, my dc just think they are funny and don't appreciate them in quite the same way, but that's okay. I still have the copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends my mom gave to me when I was 10...a valued possession, for sure.

So, no, I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but I wouldn't put them in my formal "school" work.

My 10 yo says she likes him because he takes chances, makes mistakes, and gets messy? I think thats a Mrs. Frizzle quote:). She says his poems are like that, I think she's right. We don't use them as our official memorize this poem work, but they know ton's of them from reading the books over and over. I like him because he takes the edge off of something that can get a little pretentious. He will make up a word so the the poem rhymes, that's my kind of guy!

As with the others I don't use them as formal work but my 5 year old LOVES the silly poems and I like him being able to hear the rhyming while he learns to read. For him it's a great way to get him to do some of his other work and then we read Shel Silverstein as a reward. We have a set of three since I myself remembered them from childhood. I also don't think my children appreciate it as much as I did but I still think the books have their benefits.

I like Shel Silverstein, and I think his poems are quite fun, but I don't think they they have the language structure and abstract imagery that I hope to familiarize my kids with through poetry study.

The other day we were at a religious function and my kids wanted to recite a poem for a visiting monastic. They chose The Early Morning by Hilaire Belloc. I have to admit that I wouldn't have been quite as proud or impressed had they recited a Shel Silverstein poem. :001_smile:

Tara

My dd doesn't like poetry and I thought these she could relate to, then we could move on to more classic stuff. I just ordered "Runny Babbit: A Billy Sook" This is one of those goofy things my dh and dd do just hanging out (to reverse letters).

I thought Shel Silverstein just may open the doors! Even for me....I hate alot of poetry as well, but this just seems fun!

what is the big difference between Shel Silverstein, Ogden Nash and Edward Lear or even Hilaire Belloc?

Last week we were working on limericks. There were lots of Edward Lear limericks. He is know for his nonesense poetry which is a very clever use of language and rhyme. It gets kids excited about words and poetry. Shel Silverstein poetry does the same thing. Lear and Belloc are now "classic" because they have been around a while. I think Siverstein will be classic eventually.

My ds loved Silverstein when he was young also and grew to love words and poetry.

Tell me who wrote which poem and which is classic and which is twaddle?

The Vulture eats between his meals,

And that's the reason why

He very, very, rarely feels

As well as you and I.

His eye is dull, his head is bald,

His neck is growing thinner.

Oh! what a lesson for us all

To only eat at dinner!

-------

There was an Old Man with a beard,

Who said, "It is just as I feared! --

Two Owls and a Hen, four Larks and a Wren,

Have all built their nests in my beard.

-------

Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."

Said the old man, "I do that too."

The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."

"I do that too," laughed the little old man.

Said the little boy, "I often cry."

The old man nodded, "So do I."

"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems

Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."

And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.

"I know what you mean," said the little old man.

------

I went down to the river,

I set down on the bank.

I tried to think but couldn't,

So I jumped in and sank.

I came up once and hollered!

I came up twice and cried!

If that water hadn't a-been so cold

I might've sunk and died.

Answer:

Hilaire Belloc

Edward Lear

Shel Silverstein

Langston Hughes

I like Shel Silverstein, and I think his poems are quite fun, but I don't think they they have the language structure and abstract imagery that I hope to familiarize my kids with through poetry study.

The other day we were at a religious function and my kids wanted to recite a poem for a visiting monastic. They chose The Early Morning by Hilaire Belloc. I have to admit that I wouldn't have been quite as proud or impressed had they recited a Shel Silverstein poem. :001_smile:

Tara

That was a good explanation, thank you. I think Shel Siverstein belongs in school in addition to exposing our children to other types of poetry.

what is the big difference between Shel Silverstein, Ogden Nash and Edward Lear or even Hilaire Belloc?

Last week we were working on limericks. There were lots of Edward Lear limericks. He is know for his nonesense poetry which is a very clever use of language and rhyme. It gets kids excited about words and poetry. Shel Silverstein poetry does the same thing. Lear and Belloc are now "classic" because they have been around a while. I think Siverstein will be classic eventually.

My ds loved Silverstein when he was young also and grew to love words and poetry.

Tell me who wrote which poem and which is classic and which is twaddle?

Very cool.

I think they all have their place. My objective for poetry study right now isn't met by Shel Silverstein poems, but that doesn't mean we don't like and read them. I just don't have my kids memorize them and we haven't read a biography of Shel Silverstein.

I think it's like literature; at different times, different types of literature meet the current need. That doesn't mean one is better than another, just different.

Tara

I love Shel Silverstein, we have all his books. It is funny that we haven't used him for memorization, but we do have most of his poems memorized.

I thought we'd include Shel Silverstein and Lewis Carol more once we have read some serious poets... having read the responses, I realize how silly I've been. Scrooge all that! We're memorizing 'The Jabberwock'!!!!!!

Thanks all, I was getting a little snobby in my assessment of the 'right' kind of reading.

:grouphug:

I LOVED Shel Silverstein as a child an memorized all of "Hungry Mungry".If I could memorized THAT at 7 it's encouraging to my girls b/c they are never asked to memorize anything that long. I don't use his stuff for memory b/c I'd rather them know scripture or "real" poetry, but for fun I think it's great! :)

For any Johnny Cash fans out there Shel wrote "A Boy Named Sue" :)

Shel Silverstien was the ONLY poetry my dh was exposed to as a kid. (The poor man never read The Chronicles of Naria, The Borrowers, Wind in the Willows or Thorton W Burgess either but that's OT) anyway, we have one book that used to be DH's and DD uses it for independent reading, but I feel rather resentful towards it since that was the sheer extent of DH's exposure to literature as a child.

Oh - now I love Silverstein, but I wouldn't like for it to be the only poetry they had. We read widely and have great exposure. They grow nicely from the nonesense poetry to more serious works to Shakespeare and Milton. My ds that wouldn't read anything but Silverstein poetry and Captain Underpants (please don't ask) grew to love Dante, Shakespeare, Milton, and all the "good" stuff. But it was Silverstein that got him excited about poetry.

Shel Silverstien was the ONLY poetry my dh was exposed to as a kid. (The poor man never read The Chronicles of Naria, The Borrowers, Wind in the Willows or Thorton W Burgess either but that's OT) anyway, we have one book that used to be DH's and DD uses it for independent reading, but I feel rather resentful towards it since that was the sheer extent of DH's exposure to literature as a child.

That's funny, because I never read those books as a dc either, lol! Oh well, I survived. We just weren't quite affluent enough to have so many nice books, and we lived in a poor town where the library had romances, horror stories, and Pippi Longstocking, not exactly a promising place. It made the Shel Silverstein books I had all the more appreciated!

My dh grew up reading tons of comic books (and I do mean TONS), and now they're dd's love. I was worried about it for a long time, mental potato chips that they are, but now I realize they helped form his interesting personality. Maybe Shel Silverstein is what gave me a silly streak? Never thought of it that way, lol...

I can clearly remember being in 2nd grade and completely excited when the teacher would read Shel Silverstein, the whole class would sit enraptured. My kids love his poems now too, and have since they were very small. They'll be exposed to all kinds of poetry, and I think Shel Silverstein is a great addition. His poems and stories have really taught my kids about playing with language- we go around "doing Runny Babbit" all the time and crack ourselves up. It's a great car game sometimes too, we switch around all of the signs and words we see.

I LOVED Shel Silverstein as a child an memorized all of "Hungry Mungry".If I could memorized THAT at 7 it's encouraging to my girls b/c they are never asked to memorize anything that long. I don't use his stuff for memory b/c I'd rather them know scripture or "real" poetry, but for fun I think it's great! :)

my kids were very excited to learn this!

Not only did he write enjoyable poetry for chidren to read, but he also was a pretty good song writer. However, be careful, as he did write quite a few geared striclty for adults which are ribald if not obscene.

Some of his songs included "A Boy Named Sue" (Johhny Cash), "The Unicorn" (The Irish Rovers), "The Cover of the Rolling Stone" (Dr. Hook), many of the songs performed by Bobby Bare, and many others.

He was a very talented man.

Not only did he write enjoyable poetry for chidren to read, but he also was a pretty good song writer. However, be careful, as he did write quite a few geared striclty for adults which are ribald if not obscene.

Some of his songs included "A Boy Named Sue" (Johhny Cash), "The Unicorn" (The Irish Rovers), "The Cover of the Rolling Stone" (Dr. Hook), many of the songs performed by Bobby Bare, and many others.

Unfortunately, I've heard "A Boy Named Sue" way too many times in my life, and now the lyrics are going through my head. :ack2:

I love "The Unicorn". I have The Best of Shel Silverstein CD and right there on the same CD as Shel, himself, reading "peanut butter sandwich" is "freakers ball" :eek: :lol: NOT family friendly - a few songs with references to drugs/prostitutes etc. It's weird because it's mixed with children's poems.

Oh yes.....this I know. I have a live tape and Shel was there and after singing the song Johnny introduced him.

I LOVE Johnny Cash, I love Shel Silverstein, The Giving Tree is my favorite book, and I see nothing wrong with memorizing any of it.

HELLO!!! We have memorized "children's rhyme's" that sing about torture and plagues! I think Shel is fine!!!