Menu

Is Corelle worth it?

We have Corelle, too, and really like it. Ditto what the previous poster said about it shattering if you drop it and it hits *just so* - but it takes a LOT to break!

Do you have to mail order it? Would a local store that stocks Corelle be willing to special order this pattern for you? Are there any Corelle outlet stores in driving distance to you? Just a couple thoughts . . .

Edited by eaglei

I've had my Corelle for 15 years and it's still going. The only time I've seen it break is if you drop it and hit is just right and then it shatters. But I grew up with Corelle and it is tough.

I've never seen Corelle that looks like that though. They must be upgrading.

Ditto. I love that our Corelle is so thin and I can stack tons of plates or bowls and they don't take up much room. This new kind looks almost like pottery. Is it thicker than the regular Corelle?

Ditto. I love that our Corelle is so thin and I can stack tons of plates or bowls and they don't take up much room. This new kind looks almost like pottery. Is it thicker than the regular Corelle?
It is said to be a little thicker. It is called Hearthstone. This is the cheapest I have found it. On ebay a set for 4 is $104 without shipping. The $109 with shipping includes a 20% off coupon and buying the pieces individually on clearance. (with only 4 coffee mugs) Edited by Lovedtodeath

I've had my Corelle for 15 years and it's still going. The only time I've seen it break is if you drop it and hit is just right and then it shatters. But I grew up with Corelle and it is tough.

I've never seen Corelle that looks like that though. They must be upgrading.

Yup! Corelle doesn't chip, but if you drop it, it shatters into a million pieces.

I think that is a beautiful set of dishes, though. I would go for it if I had the $$.

Just an F.Y.I. though which I was aware of before buying these are NOT your standard thin Corelle which shatter into a thousand sharp shards like the traditional ones. These are a new line of stoneware think more like Platzgraff (sorry about spelling it's early for me) heavy & chunky. When they break, yes alas I dropped a dinner plate when drying think several large pieces & some small chips to break up.

They look great like pumpkin pie all the time, Yum! They are substantial & take up more space than traditional Correlle which is what I upgraded from. The mugs are much larger & I find they tend to heat up more than traditional not sure if it's composition or the black interior.

I got mine through Amazon & got a free shipping deal & saved $15.00 a set, I got two also. You can buy sets of four of just the item you are missing reasonably also as I had to replace the dinner plate.

If you have littles that are setting tables they will probably only be able to take 1 maybe 2 dinner plates to the table at a time to set, just something to consider. But I would definately buy again they look great & make a bold substantial statement in place of my previously boring off white set with a blue country floral. I'm even considering getting a sage set to be able to mix it up when company comes. I think all the colors are great, but I was partial to Cumin too, good taste & happy table dressing!! HTH

Cumin round which is what you pictured & I have is currently unavailable, but some of the other colors such as Tumeric which is yellow are $45.00 a setting for 4 (16 pieces) with $23.00 shipping or the Square Cobalt blue color in a 4 place setting for $89.00 with free shipping from Amazon directly.

HTH

Yup! Corelle doesn't chip, but if you drop it, it shatters into a million pieces.

I think that is a beautiful set of dishes, though. I would go for it if I had the $$.

Actually Corelle does chip. I am on my 3 set of Corelle since we got married. (My taste changed, it had nothing to do with the dishes) and my current set has several chipped pieces.

However, I still love it and believe it is the best bargain out there. I love that you can stack 16 plates in 2 inches!

I just bought some Corelle off of the clearance site (worldkitchen.com) I got 9 1/2" plates and dessert plates for 79 cents each, and a pottery-style "squared" bowl for $1.49 each (I ordered 14 of each one).

I LOVE the bowls. They are awesome (they are also HUGE), I now need something smaller too, more "snack size."

My regular dishes are in storage... and we needed something break resistant, because the dishes have to be carried up and down the stairs to get to the dishwasher/sink...they are working GREAT.

Now... to find my Dansk Torun Stainless Silverware in storage... and replace the plastic ware (oh, and I need about a dozen more spoons and forks, my family has grown a bit in the past 13 years).

Lisa

Thank you for all of the responses.

I am so confused! They will break if they fall from the table to the floor? This happens really often around here. I was looking at melamine at first, but it is not microwave safe and it is just as expensive. I don't know what to do.:confused:

I actually had the Maize picked out after I found the cumin to not be available. Thanks for checking for me. :)

They don't break that easily. WE have dropped many a dish and they are fine. It is the rare one that actually breaks, but they do shatter when they break. Chips are alos rare, but it happens.

I think the ones you picked out are gorgeous. Can you find them in a store near you to actually pick them up and see if you like how they feel in your hand? I am thinking Wal Mart carries the styles you are looking at.

Those are gorgeous and I love, love my regular, thin set of corelle. In my experience, stone-wear chips easily, I'm not sure about those beauties. Walmart carries lots of corelle. You might check there and save with the return option if they aren't good quality.

I'm on my second set of corelle (grew tired of the old pattern and stupidly gave it away.) I went with corelle again to avoid lead and I have been so pleased. My set is three years old and has no chips and it's all still here. I only shattered one piece of corelle that was taken steaming hot out of the dishwasher and boom. It was shattered. However, I drop and we drop this set all the time on our hardwood kitchen floor.

71160025530.jpgThis is my dream set of dishes. Corelle is break-resistant, but with shipping it is $109 for 8. I really need new dishes, but I am pretty sure I can get a regular breakable set or an ugly white set for half this price. So what do you think?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5723111&findingMethod=rr

These sets are in my local Walmart and on-line.

No way does Walmart have them. I look for dishes everywhere I go and I always find plain white Corelle or your typical pottery style.

Is this a good price? I usually go for the cheap-o $25 a set deals for 4 people, so I am in sticker shock.

i travel a lot and wind up stopping in a lot of different walmarts around the country. not only does Walmart carry Corelle but different stores carry a variety of lines. i saw some dishes in the midwest that i really liked only to find that not one of the stores in my home area carried that design though they had others the midwest store didn't.

I, too, love my Corelle. And I also bought my set from Walmart. (2 sets, so I have enough for guests too.) Then I filled in various accessory pieces in the same pattern at a local Corning-Revere outlet. They had pasta dishes and extra bowls in different sizes, baking dishes... it was awesome.

BUT, I do not have the stoneware Corelle... just the regular thin kind with a pretty pattern.

Do you have a Corning-Revere outlet anywhere near? They might have the set you're looking for since your local Walmart doesn't seem to carry it.

Edited by Mekanamom

These are beautiful. I have and use my Corelle set almost exclusively. I second, third, etc. what others said about how break resistant and easy to store Corelle remains. I got my set, which isn't nearly as pretty as what you picked, at a Revere/Corning Ware outlet years ago and we don't even use our "nice" dishes anymore.

As far as I'm concerned, Corelle is the perfect family dish.

0007116004969_215X215.jpgSo this is $60 instead of $109, though not as pretty, and is the traditional thinner Corelle. I think DH will go for the $40 savings. I just don't like the white in the middle. :tongue_smilie: My kitchen is two shades of Tuscan Gold, mostly the lighter creamy shade, and bamboo with dark brown accents. Don Quixote by Picasso hangs above the table. What do you think? Edited by Lovedtodeath

My sister bought the hearthstone, but had to return it because it didn't fit in her top cupboards. Her kitchen is only a few years old, so her cabinets are not an odd size. You may want to check the dimensions, and compare with your cupboard and dishwasher before you order.

Lori

0007116004969_215X215.jpgSo this is $60 instead of $109, though not as pretty, and is the traditional thinner Corelle. I think DH will go for the $40 savings. I just don't like the white in the middle. :tongue_smilie: My kitchen is two shades of Tuscan Gold, mostly the lighter creamy shade, and bamboo with dark brown accents. Don Quixote by Picasso hangs above the table. What do you think?

I think it's pretty. :) And I like the white in the center, because I like to see my food clearly. LOL. But... if the other set is your very most perfect set... and if you can afford it... will you feel a little let down if you get this alternative set? The white would take some getting used to, probably, with your decor.

Maybe I'm weird, but I have to love my dishes. I was just lucky to find an inexpensive set of Corelle that I do really love.

I've been considering Corelle for a while to replace my red Melamine set that I got from Target. I am really worried about red things, especially this melamine stuff, having lead in it. The color is coming off. I also wanted to stick with glass in general so I didn't have to worry about lead. I also find having this red color hard to use if you want a tablecloth or placemats. So I've decided to go with the ivory regular Corelle and then get some pretty placemats. I also would like to go with a set that is easy to replace when they get broken. My kitchen walls are a terracota color.

Perhaps you could get a simple design or solid and just dress up the table with the other details.

I have this set in the square shape and red with black. About a yr after buying them the clear glaze has crackled on almost all the smaller plates (this occurs after microwaving). They also have become very hot when taken out of the microwave and I wonder if this means they're no longer microwave safe.

Target has or had a similar style dish set by a different brand. I wonder if it's better.

Michelle in AL, I wondered about that, as I have a coffee mug that has crackled like that. Thank you for the warning. Corelle has a one year warranty, in case it is worth a shot for you. I think I will play it safe and go with one of the cheaper sets. I am slightly dissapointed, but I will get over it. I hate most of my furniture because little kids destroy it and we cannot get new.

Michelle, I think that seals the deal. Thanks. You are sure the regular Corelle is still all made in the USA?

I actually called our local factory store in Corning ( Corning Inc. is the original maker of Corelle) and asked because I am always looking for new dinnerware. She confirmed that Hearthstone was made in China but the Corelle plates are still made here. There are some Corelle accessories (like matching salt and pepper shakers) which are made in China but ours broke years ago. I keep eying the square Corelle plates but I don't know.

Michelle, I think that seals the deal. Thanks. You are sure the regular Corelle is still all made in the USA?

I've not done the research about glass products like Corelle yet. However, some of the recent threads about the lead in glazed crockpots also revealed that many other glazed products have lead in them to some extent. It's something about the glaze, I don't entirely remember. It just made me want to look at Corelle since it is glass and it will be a inexpensive and hopefully break resistant. My kids have broken my melamine plates when they've dropped them but I do have really hard tile floor.

If anyone has info regarding the safetly of glass dinnerware, I'd love to hear it.

Now... to find my Dansk Torun Stainless Silverware in storage... and replace the plastic ware (oh, and I need about a dozen more spoons and forks, my family has grown a bit in the past 13 years).

You USE yours????? It's too pretty!!!!!! :tongue_smilie:

You can darn well bet that I"M ending up with that in the divorce :lol:

another plug for the thin Corelle dishes --Real Dishes for Real Life :D

I never liked the cups, so we don't have those.

I pick up Corelle, Corning, and Pyrex everytime I see them at the thrift stores, but pattern doesn't matter to me: I'm a no-nonsense, give-me-sturdy kinda gal.

Our family is hard on a lot of stuff --I expect to lose a Corelle piece once a year, and YES -we drop them a LOT [on hardwood floors/ tile] and use them several times a day. Ours do have some chips, but they are usually VERY small chips cuz the stuff is so tough. I like the look/ feel of pottery-type dishes, but don't like the weight/ breakability.

I don't even mind HANDWASHING them, lol --and I HATE washing dishes!

for snacks-- i have some corelle "berry" bowls that work great for that.

I'm hoping to sell off the mixed set and get the square pattern when we remodel in a few years ;)

• 2 months later...
The Corelle Hearthstone is slightly more fragile (& a little more easily chipped) than the regular, thin Corelle. With that said, it's still very sturdy stuff! I just considered it a few weeks ago, but wound up buying a rainbow of Fiesta Ware from the megachina website instead. :)

What is the megachina website?

I love Corelle. Easily washed, very sturdy and break-resistant, cute patterns, smooth fell, last forever, chip-resistant and lightweight. What's not to love? :) My mom still has her set -- almost 40 years now. Wow.. how old is Corelle? Off to check.. :auto:

Update: 1970.

Edited by sagira

I have to say, my kids are the BEST at dropping dishes while washing them, and they've only broken ONE Corelle plate. And I think it hit something on the way down.

I have two sets, and one of them is ca. 1970 something. It's a vintage Crazy Daisy pattern that matches my kitchen. Anyway, we've NEVER broken any of the older set, and I've had it for nearly 10 years.

Well... you did ask what people think, right?

I would *never* spend a hundred bucks (and then some) for a set of, what, eight dishes. :001_huh:

I pick up my dishes from yard sales & flea markets & sometimes the Sally Ann if they have have anything - looking for cute & funky patterns that amuse me. :D

(Yeah most of my dishes don't match. Yet.. in a way, they do. Mismatched dishes that work with each other. ;))

Once in a while, I'll buy a coffee mug brand new - like my Noah's Ark mug ...but whole expensive sets? Nah.

That said, this is YOUR kitchen and YOUR money to spend how YOU like - I'm just answerin' the Q that you asked. :cool:

Well... you did ask what people think, right?

Once in a while, I'll buy a coffee mug brand new - like my Noah's Ark mug ...but whole expensive sets? Nah.

That said, this is YOUR kitchen and YOUR money to spend how YOU like - I'm just answerin' the Q that you asked. :cool:

Sometimes an item just sings to you, doesn't it?