Menu

Please share your Kinder. curriculum/plans for this year or next year. Thanks!!

5ray2006

Hi, Please share your past, current or future K5 plans. I've been revising my plans. I'm thinking about doing Sonlight next year and adding separate math/language arts. My ds just turned 5 last week and currently he goes to a MDO program on MWF. We are going to be homeschooling next year-taking year by year. My plans are somewhat "academic" in nature b/c our children will probably be back in private school within the next 2 or 3 years.

Sonlight P4/5

Finish BJU Math K5-move onto CLE Math 1

Finish HOP K and MCP Plaid Phonics-move onto ETC Books 1,2

Zaner-Bloser K handwriting

Co-op 1 day/week : Art, Music, Spanish, Computer, Library, PE

Beginner piano lessons and a sports skills class

Thanks for replying. :001_smile:

ABeCeDarian for phonics

RightStart A (currently for K) for my K in sept, I'm not going to do formal math, we are going to count, skip count by two's, estimate, basic addition with household stuff, work on days of the week, patterns)

HWT

little bit of BFSU with 1st grade brother, nature walks, field trips - all with first grade brother.

read aloud time.

That's about it! :)

DD and I are currently doing Pre-K approx. 4 days a week. We'll be officially starting Kindergarten next year. As of right now, I have alot of plans for next year! lol:)

Phonics: A Beka Letters and Sounds 1, continue with Word Mastery (see siggy)

Math: Singapore EarlyBird B - I just ordered it and we'll be starting it right now, working our way through slowly, into next year. Then MEP 1. I think. I also just bought the Miquon teacher books and have some cuisenaire rods which I would like to incorporate as well.

History: Usborne First Encyclopedia of History, possibly followed by an old copy of A Beka's My America which I have from when I was in 1st grade!

Geography: Use globe, United States puzzle, World floor puzzle, and songs to learn state names & locations, continent names, and oceans. I'm considering Usborne First Atlas or First Encyclopedia of Our World (or whatever it's called), but alas, I'm not made of money. We might make these a quick library read.

Science: Play and Find Out Science Projects, My Body activity (make life size poster of your body and paste on body parts), library books/videos, internet videos, Singing Science records.

Handwriting: possibly HWT My Printing Book (grade 1). I might just make my own sheets, but I haven't decided.

Bible: a good children's story Bible (possibly Child's Story Bible, looking at others), Discovering Jesus in Genesis, memorize books of the Bible, learn how to look up verses as reading/numbers skills permit

Spanish: Flip Flop Spanish

Art: she and her cousins do weekly lessons with their grandmother. I'm considering Language Lessons for Little Ones for language/art appreciation.

Logic: finish up Developing the Early Learner if we haven't by then (she's toward the beginning of book 3 now. we're going slowly). Then something from Critical Thinking Co. Can You Find Me, Mind Benders, or Thinker Doodles.

Think that's enough???? lol:) We won't do it all every day!! Or even every week! :D We'll have all year.

The little man turned 6yo in the fall. What we are using right now is in my signature. Because he has a fall b'day, last year was more like K and this year is more like first.

Last year we used MUS Alpha, Singapore PM1, started PM2, and did Kumon math.

We worked some with reading, but he just wasn't very interested. We used Preventing Academic Failure with the first two Merrill readers, tried to use some ETC, OPGTR, Kumon workbooks, Bob Books, and Now IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m Reading Books by Nora Gaydos.

We worked on some geography with a US floor puzzle and various maps and globes childrenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s books. We didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do much. Honestly, I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember if we did any science.

We hung out and read storybooks.

I focused on the 3RĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s, but I let him lead the way.

HTH-

Mandy

We are currently doing preschool. As it fits in and as dd wishes we are learning:

Cursive letters via sandpaper letters (This will move into copywork as she is able.)

Living math/Right Start A (want to buy Math on the Level)

OPGTR, sometimes

Happy Phonics (lots of fun!!)

All About Spelling level 1 (dd is not a visual learner and would rather spell than read)

Lots of fun activities from Montessori Read and Write

Drawing, arts and crafts, and lots of other fun things

Activities and books based on the litergical year

Informal Spanish, through everyday life and books

When she is reading well (whenever that may be) we'll probably add in:

Grammar, via FLL, living books, and manipulatives a la Montessori

Song School Latin (DD is drooling of the samples. LOL)

When she is writing well we'll add in:

WWE, though I'll probably use my own books instead of the workbook

Next year we'll be adding in:

FIAR study with a monthly habit training focus

BFSU

Edited by Lisa in the UP of MI

My daughter will be in K in the fall. Here is what she will be doing:

Math: Saxon 1

...Language Arts...

Phonics: Explode the Code

Reading: BOB books along with OPGTTR, 100 EZ, or PP, or a combination

Penmanship: Handwriting Without Tears

Social Studies: SOTW 1 (with my 1st grader)

Science: No clue. I can't decide!

Art: Atelier 2 (semester 1) and 3 (semester 2)

Music: Listen to different types of music and start teaching theory, but need to find an actual curriculum!

Health: No clue! If we go with a Life science course/theme, health and science will be taught simultaneously.

PE: Swimming lessons and ballet at the Y

Character Education: KONOS

Healthy Cooking: Kinder Krunchies books from Discovery Toys

Co-op: 1 full day every other week

Bible/Religion: Family Home Evening

I think that's it. :001_huh:

We are doing K this year (age 4) and 1st grade at age 5. We also school year-round, so the grades are rather fluid.

Kindergarten:

Five in a Row vol 1 & 2

FIAR Nature Study

Moving Beyond the Page 5-7 concepts 1-3

Right Start Math A

ABeCeDarian A & most of B

Handwriting Without Tears K

Beatrix Potter for Beginners copywork after HWT finished

La Clase Divertida 1

Discoveries in Music

Kinderbach

1st Grade:

Five in a Row 1-3

FIAR Nature Study

Galloping the Globe

Right Start Math B

Finish ABeCeDarian B

First Language Lessons after ABCD B is done

Writing With Ease 1

All About Spelling 1

La Clase Divertida 2

Kinderbach

I've been working on pre-k/K plans as sort of a continuum. So, for K, I anticipate

Phonics - continuing in OPGTR

Grammar - starting FLL1&2 at the appropriate time

Handwriting - we're using HWT, and I think we'll finish the preK book before the end of "preK," so for K, it'll probably be half the K book, a quarter independent practice, and maybe starting the 1st grade book at the very end

Math - RightStart, wherever we're at

Reading - lots of books to practice with, and lots of picture books and read-alouds. Anything 'content-y' that I want to cover will have to fit under Reading.

I tried doing much more grandiose plans with my dd1 but I so wish we had kept it sweet and simple!

We are in Maryland, so we have to show documentation across more subjects than I actually want to formally cover. Our emphasis for K really is on reading, writing, and math skills with lots and lots of play. But I'll list the other stuff we'll use to supplement and fulfill our state requirements.

Reading/Phonics: OPGTTR with ETC

Math: Singapore with lots of games and manipulatives

Handwriting: we have lots of basic workbooks that she uses now; I'll most likely incorporate copy work from our as-yet-to-be-decided memory work

Memory work: undecided and not required, but I want to do some Bible verses and short poems

Science: up in the air. I have BFSU, but I don't know if I like it. It's wonderful, but it's hard for *me* to follow and will require a lot of prep work. :tongue_smilie: We've been doing Seasonal Science this year, which is light and fun. I might go with Mudpies to Magnets and lots of nature walks instead.

Social studies: I'm actually really excited about this one! I've put together lists of (mostly) picture books from around the world, and we're going to tie that in with some world geography, studying one country every 2-3 weeks. At the beginning of each unit, we'll color maps and flags and talk a little about the people in the countries now, then we'll read and read, and at end of the unit, we'll cook something from the country. I have Eat Your Way Around the World, A Trip Around the World, and Children Like Me to assist.

Health and Physical Education: Nothing terribly formal for health, and we'll continue taking classes through the county (things like swimming, dance, ice skating, and possibly soccer) for phys. ed.

Music: My mom gave the girls A Story of the Orchestra, and I think we can use that along with our classical music collection to just enjoy listening to different styles of music. Also, we'll continue piano with Music for Little Mozarts.

Art: I can't remember! :lol: It's on my other computer. I know I really like the Come Look With Me series, and I want to say we settled on Discovering Great Artists: Hands On Art For Children in the Styles of the Great Masters, but it's possible that wasn't actually the plan for next year. We're taking a crafts class right now through our county, and both of my girls are loving it, so we might just do a few of those instead of making our own house messy.

Good luck as you decide on next year, and thanks for asking, as it's fun to see what others are doing!

Since our dd5 turned 5 in November she has an extra year according to VA, but since she turned 5 she has been working on OPG, Code and Singapore EB 2A/2B. She also takes choir and music and participates in sports with her sister, right now that is cheerleading for the basketball program.

I've been pulling together my plans for K next year, this is what I've got so far:

Math: RightStart A (continuing)

Science: combo of CLP K science, SL P4/5 science, and bunch of other books I have around, mixed with hands-on nature study type stuff.

Handwriting: HWT K

Social Studies: a mix of Core Knowledge, SL P3/4 and P4/5, and some Usborne books for a basic overview of our world. My dd loves worksheets, so I may end up making some for her. I've thought about FIAR, but I have a tendency to try to do too much!

Reading/LA: We're using SL LA K right now, which we'll finish. After that, I'm not quite sure what we'll use. I want K to be relaxed...mostly about reading, so a good phonics base. We'll see.

Fun seeing what everyone else is doing!

My little guy turned six in the middle of the year. Our daily line up currently includes --

Mathematical Reasoning, Level C from Critical Thinking Books and Software

Song School Latin from Classical Academic Press

copywork and memory work, mostly from Living Memory by Andrew Campbell

daily independent, family and assigned reading on a multitude of subjects

Pianimals, Book A

For my four year old and 5 year old I am going to use

Handwriting without tears (pre-k and K)

Explode the Code

Click Start (for my computer crazed son)

LTR in 100 easy lessons

LOTS of reading

Right Start Math level A

MEP

Science is going to be a few of the Janice Van Cleave books, some nature books (kids love going on walks and the park)

History is through reading everyday books- we will stop and take a day to learn about things mentioned in the books

We also will have a bible plan (mainly reading the bible and having crafts, memory vs etc with it)

Edited by bbsweetpea

Maybe, if we can get to any of it,,,

Saxon 1

Reading...100 easy lessons

MCP plaid phonics A

they follow along in the rest...Bible, History, science....nothing formal for them

lots of read-alouds

and plenty of fresh air

we did Rod and Staff preschool workbooks...not to hard, works on coloring, following directions, cutting, pasting, some pre-handwriting. Cheap and fun when they were begging for their own books!

We are doing K4 next year, but it's a little accelerated:

Spell to Write and Read

Singapore Earlybird Textbook B

Miquon Math - Orange Book

Rod & Staff Readiness Skills Workbooks (E-G)

The Memory Bible

Considering God's Creation

WinterPromise Hideaways in History (Tweaked - he builds and plays and mom reads SOTW!)

Lots of read alouds....

Edited by Guest

I'm still thinking about it:

Phonics/Reading: ETC, Language Lessons for Little Ones, not sure what for readers, lots of read alouds

Math: Singapore

Handwriting: HWT

Science: Nature journal and nature walks, co-op once a week

History: Great Americans for Little Americans w/picture books

Religion: Bible reading and celebrating liturgical year w/Catholic Mosaic

Art- co-op once a week

PE- soccer and co-op once a week

Music- currently doing kindermusic, may start piano?

DS and I are currently doing PreK/K4, 4 days a week. What we're doing right now is in my signature or you can look at our blog for more details. We'll officially start K5 the last week of August or the first week of September... depends on hubby's schedule. Like myfatherslily, we too have a lot of plans for next year! K5 for 2009-2010...

Art: A Beka Art Projects K and VP's curriculum suggestions for K5 Art - How to Teach Art to Children, Drawing with Children, Fine Art Primer Collection read alouds

Bible: Old Testament using Children's Illustrated Bible, Child's Story Bible, Read Aloud Old Testament Collection, The Big book of Q's and A's , Wee Sing Bible Songs CS (VP's curriculum suggestions for K5 Bible and Scope & Sequence)

Character Building/Manners: A Hive of Busy Bees, and another Hive of Bees

Field Trips: to be determined

Geo./Hist: Geography from A to Z, The Little Man in the Map, Great States Junior (game), The Scrambled States of America puzzle and book set, Study a State, and A Day w/Community Helpers along with VP's curriculum suggestions for 1st grade Geography - Legends and Leagues, Beginning Geography Vol. 1,2,&3, State Cap. and Geography CDs

Language Arts: Spell to Write and Read (SWR) w/ Cursive First (CF), Literature Pockets, IEW Poetry Memorization

Math: Saxon Math 1, w/Singapore's Earlybird Kindergarten Math 2A/2B

Music: Discoveries in Music (VP's curriculum suggestion for 1st grade Music)

PE: Gymnastics, Marital Arts w/daddy, swimming, park and rec. sports, play outside (jumping on the trampoline), etc.

Readiness Skills: Perhaps go through ReadyWriter again, finish up Developing the Early Learner series if not completed this year (we too are going slowly)

Science: Our Father's World, Live Butterfly Garden, Ant Hill, etc.

It looks like a lot all typed out, but remember we won't be doing it all at once and we too have all year.

I'll have a K5er next fall, here's our rough plan:

Horizon Phonics (some handwriting with this too)

Getty-Dubay Italic for more writing practice

Either Horizons K for math or Rod and Staff 1

She'll listen in to Latin, literature, history, etc. that I do with the big kids. And I'll use Ambleside Year 0's list for literature and poetry.

She's been waiting FOREVER to be 5 (which she will be in May) to start violin like her older brother and sister and to try ballet. So that's in the plans for next fall.

• Reading: Ordinary Parents Guide and Phonics Pathways...then on to selections from FLL
  • Math: Singapore...finishing Earlybird, then on to 1A
  • Handwriting: Copywork selections from Living Memory (created with Educational Fontware)
  • Latin: Prima Latina, once he's reading well
  • Loads of fairy tales, myths, poems, and Bible stories.

:001_smile:

My son turned 5 in Dec. What we are doing now is in my siggy. For k we are doing:

Bible: A Child's Garden of Torah

Math: Horizons 1 and MUS Beta

Handwriting: Pentime 1A

Spelling: All About Spelling Level 1

Grammar: First Language Lessons part 2

Writing:Writeshop Primary A

Reading: McRuffy Phonics K and 1st and maybe do some Elson Readers and Sonlight readers on the side.

Science: Sonlight K and 1st

History: Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans

The American Story

The Pioneer Sampler

The Child's Book of America

The Little House on the Prairie Series

Easy Classical State History

Art: Harmony Fine Arts 1

Music: God Made Music K

Geography: Kingfisher Young Discoverer's Maps and mapping

Me on the map

The Once upon a time map book

There's a map on my lap

My town

Ways to Find My Way

A Trip Around the World

Health: Abeka 1

Character: Lights Along the Path

Spanish: Springboard to Spanish and Play and Learn Spanish

Hebrew: Sarah and David Hebrew

Jewish Studies: What's So Jewish About Butterflies?

Reading: Phonics Pathways, Bob books

Handwriting: HWT

Copywork: when ready...ummm...I don't know how I'll choose his copywork yet!

Math: Rightstart or Singapore

Bible: dh reads from the children's Bible; he also is in charge of memory verses

Might start with basic vocab (numbers, letters, animals, weather, etc.) for a foreign language.

Science and History: books and videos from the library

Yep, we're still very much in progress!

Kinder this year:

Bible: Ergemiers Old Test Semester 1/ New Test Semester 2

LA: Phonics Road Level A- the first year actually covers K/1

Handwriting: copying a chart to printing out my own

Math: Rightstart A-really love this one!

Science: Christian Liberty Press K - gentle, I like the pics, and the fact they can keep this in "thier books" when finished to look at

Art: Singapore Nursery Art A-we don't do art enough

My pre-k's actually do R&S K books and love them

We have done accelerated K with my 4yo this year. So far we have used -

Singapore EB 2A & 2B completed now on to Kumon grade 1 and we are using MOTL

100 EZ lessons almost done but already reading at late grade 2 level

ETC books 1, 2 & 3

Queens LLFLO Vol 3

FIAR

General science & geography that i have put together from various sources.

General art, craft & drawing as desired and some from FIAR.

I think that's it. We also play loads of games, puzzles and do heaps of reading.

I have really focussed on reading, writing and math for K and will be bringing in more structure to science and history/geography when we start 1st after she turns 5 in July.

Our current curriculum is on my "signature" but we started with HWT kindergarten level, moving on to copy work in the draw and write notebook by the same company. I have DD #1 copying nursery rhymes in the notebook after I write them out in the lines above hers. SWO was added on in January. We do 2 pages a day. She is also reading chapter books now, so about 15-30 minutes of reading time with mom. All together everything works out to about 2 hours a day, plus co-op and Kindermusik.

Next year I'll be using Winterpromises Animals and Thier Worlds with my Ker (who will turn 6 in October) and my PreKer (she'll be 4.5 at the start of the year).

Ker will also use:

Rightstart B with either Singapore or Math Mammoth for reinforcement

Explode the Code 5 and 6

Finish The Ordinary Parents Guide to teaching reading (we're on lesson 100 now)

A Reason for Handwriting A

All About Spelling

Growing with Grammar

PreK:

Explode the code B, C, and begin 1

The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading once she starts CVC words

A prewriting workbook, then transitioning to A Reason for Handwriting K about midyear

Singapore Earlybird transitioning to Rightstart A mid year or when she seems ready.

My 5ker-

Spell to Write and Read-spelling, writing, reading

Reading- Rocket Phonics then to leveled books from the library(weekly trips)

Singapore Primary Math 1A,1B, 2A plus math games

Biology- human body studies, animal and plant life

Chemistry-Science4RealKids plus OMSI science labs

History-SOTW and lots of crafts

Geography- basic map skills, country unit studies & presentations

Memory work-simple poems and prayers

Calendar-awareness, daily

Swimming, ballet/tap and keyboard classes and of course daily practice.

Read alouds-1 to 1 1/2 daily

Tons of field trips to the zoo, OMSI science museum,theater plays, science labs, parks, and playdates.

Gosh, when I write it all out we have done a ton this year in our little school hours.

• 1 month later...

My twin boy's will be in K and my daughter in 1st. We are going to use:

Heart of Dakota (Little Hearts for His Glory) and continuing with Phonics Pathways. :001_smile: We go to the library on Thursday afternoons for arts and crafts.

I am so excited and really looking forward to starting this program.

This has been really fun reading what you all are going to do! Lots of us with little ones starting next year. :)

My dd is almost 6 and is doing some K and some pre-K this year. Next year we'll keep on with some of it and add in some more.

1. Weaver Interlock-continue

2. Christian Liberty Nature Readers-continue

3. Addison Wesley Math K-1991 version

4. HWOT-continue

5. Vos Children's Bible-continue

6. 100 EZ Lessons-continue

Lots of reading, games, and play-time to fill in the gaps. :)

These are our Kindergarten plans:

Sonlight Core K

Sonlight Science K

OPGTR (continuing)

Explode the Code (book 4 through however far she gets)

Singapore Earlybird Book B

A Reason for Handwriting Book A

We may also add the Veritas Press Fine Art Primers and some art instruction (maybe Drawing with Children)...

Not sure about music at this point....i'm interested in looking at Themes to Remember....

I'll be doing Winter Promise Animals and Their Worlds with my daughter for kinder next year. We'll do Sonlight LA1. We'll continue with Peterson Directed Handwriting and Drawing with Children. I have not yet decided on what we will do for math. The summer after kindergarten, we will do a quick overview of ancient history and also biology through Noeo.

DD is more on the K/1st end of things. She has an October bday, so we played school with her but I didn't stress if the only "education" she got in a day was her nightly bedtime story. lol Even still, she taught herself to read using Between the Lions on PBS and www.starfall.com.

Phonics: Currently she's on a 2nd gr-ish level with her reading vocabulary, so I'm not sure what we want to do for phonics this year. I'm seriously considering Explode the Code for her.

Math: Right Start level B

History: SOTW 1

Grammar: R&S or FLL. I haven't made up my mind yet. I like the workbook approach and she likes doing workbook pages, so I may wait until after convention and see what looks good then.

Science: Oak Meadow 1

Spelling: We "unschool" spelling. She's been asking for a year "Mommy, how do you spell ______." That works for her, but she's a very academically motivated child. YMMV

Handwriting: ZB, as soon as I figure out the best place from which to order it. Again, I want to see what's at convention.

Art & Music: Oak Meadow 1 & "Color the Composers"

Literature: Oak Meadow 1 and library visits for whatever she wants to read.

Health: Oak Meadow 1

In short, here's what we've been doing this year for K:

Math: Horizons K + lots of hands-on activities using manipulatives and games

Phonics/Reading: OPGTTR + Bob Books and other little phonics readers I had around, plus good lit. for bedtime stories

Penmanship: Abeka Writing w/ Phonics K

Bible: Children's Illustrated Bible, Keys for Kids, Awanas, Hymns/Scripture songs

History: SOTW 1 w/ AG

Science: Life Science ala WTM

Art: Atelier

Spanish: introduce new phrase or set of words ea. week

Music: Drum lessons

PE: Tae Kwon Do, Soccer, and Homeschool PE at a gymnastics place 2x per month

Co-op just for fun, to see our friends :)

I keep the History requirements looser for my K'er than for my 2nd grader. I'm the same way w/ science for him, but he loves it. We don't do it all everyday of course, this is all over the course of a full calendar year.

Let's see, as soon as my 3 year old turns 4 we'll start K. Really, we're already doing most of this as she feels like it and will continue in that same vein.

Singapore Earlybird Math

Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code

OPGTTR (starting when she turns 4)

Rod and Staff preschool books

Letters and Numbers for Me (She finished the pre-k book already)

Kumon for fun when she's not ready to be done doing school for the day but I'm done teaching

Song School Latin (just the songs, because she adores listening to music)

She also is in the room when we do science, history, and music but I don't expect anything of her for those. She does love to color the activity guide pages though!

I just ordered Right Start Math Level A!!! I'm so excited!

Phonics Pathways, Bob books for Reading

Egermeier's Bible, memory verses from DH

Handwriting Without Tears

The Real Mother Goose (and we'll eventually do fables and nursery rhymes, as suggested by LCC) for Literature

Eventually, we'll do Evan-Moor Geography

History and Science - books/videos from library

My ds turns 5 next month and we're going to start K July 1 :party: