Menu

How sick do your kids have to be to have a "sick day"?

DS has a cold (stuffy nose, sore throat, no fever). However, he's been in a chipper mood all morning. Drawing pictures, talking up a storm, etc. Wednesday is a light day for us, so I'm making him do his schoolwork. He keeps saying, "I'm sick!", but I think he's well enough to do the bit of work he has to do (math, Bible, reading).

What are your guidelines for a sick day?

If they say "I'm sick" and it isn't an every month thing...I would let them off for the day. BUT I am not a scheduled hser. I don't have a daily agenda, and if they take a day off, it doesn't affect the rest of my week.

We all have days when we just don't feel like being pushed. We just need a down day. As long as they aren't just taking advantage of you, I say let them off for the day.

If you really feel like you need to get a few subjects done, then let them off early and take a 1/2 day. Just knowing it is going to be a light day, may be enough.

We do have a rule that if your sick, that means no playing with friends, no playing outside, staying quiet (no jumping around, being crazy), no activities...for 2 days. Just that little reminder will usually get an honest answer about how sick they really are.

DS has a cold (stuffy nose, sore throat, no fever). However, he's been in a chipper mood all morning. Drawing pictures, talking up a storm, etc. Wednesday is a light day for us, so I'm making him do his schoolwork. He keeps saying, "I'm sick!", but I think he's well enough to do the bit of work he has to do (math, Bible, reading).

I would still expect schoolwork on a day you are describing. If ds seems to not be able to concentrate I give him light work. Maybe reading only and verbal narrations. This first thing to go on a sick day is math because that is ds's most challenging subject. I equate working through feeling poorly to the real life. Ds won't be able to take off work for the sniffles, kwim?

Last week, I knew ds wasn't feeling well but was continuing with schoolwork. He just got up and said "I have to go lay down". This is extremely unsual for my ds so I let him. He stayed in bed all day and didn't ask for tv or didn't even read. That's how I knew he was sick enough to miss school.

There have been times ds has tried to fake it and I suspected that so I sent him to bed, no reading, tv, etc. He was back in the schoolroom within minutes ready to work.

Short answer, you need to know your kids and be able to discern if they can actually focus. Realize when they are faking, they ALL do it at some time, and calmly and matter of factly treat them as if they really were sick.

Hope that helps. You seem right on track for today. Good luck and I hope your guy is feeling better soon.

Well, I do take it on a case by case basis, but if they have a fever or if they are emptying their stomach then it is automatically a sick day. Sometimes I have given a child a half day if they listen in on lessons, but are too sick to participate.

If they're noses are running or they are coughing to an extent that they cannot focus on their work at all, then I would consider calling it a sick day.

Jennie

I have my kids do school unless they are very sick. I let them do school in bed or on the couch. I let them sip juice and take breaks, but they still have to do school if they are able.

Private schools and public schools do not stop because your child has a cold. The child has to find a way to catch up if they take days off. I missed large amounts of school in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade because I was hospitalized. Every day my teacher would send home a packet with my sister to deliver to me in the hospital. I did my school work off and on through out the next day and sent it back with my sister. The school offered to send a tutor and my teacher made allowances if the work was late, but I was still required to do it.

I don't want to give up my weekends or summer schooling my kids unless it is really an emergency that kept us from getting school done in the first place.

My rule of thumb is that if they're lying on the couch vegging, we pop in educational videos (something like Meerkat Manor or Electric Company). If they can sit and listen, we'll do our read-alouds. If they can pay a bit more attention, we'll do light academics. Ds scratched his eye on Monday morning and really couldn't do anything all day, not even watch TV because his eye hurt. On Tuesday, we did some math fact games and read-alouds. Today he's back in action.

Under those conditions, my children would be doing school anyway. If they are sick enough to lie on the couch, I assign a bit of math and have them do silent history reading. If they are sick enough that they are happy to go to bed and sleep, then they really do not have to work.

I'm a mean mom.

However, I do also let them go out and play in the snow sometimes or REALLY nice weather. So I'm not all bad ; ).

I'm probably a mean mom...my dd had the flu last week. With the exception of one day, she still had to do SOME work each day. I figured if she was laying in bed reading anyway, she might as well be reading her science :D I did let her off on her worst day though...she could do nothing but sleep. I have had the flu this week and I didn't get a day off :(

We are having our first sick day all year today. We pretty much work every day unless there fever involved. If it's a low fever we usually just snuggle on the couch and read, read and read some more. Today ds7 felt so crummy that he couldn't hardly lift his head off the couch. Great snuggle time, let me tell you!

Before I would have let DS have a sick day for a day like today, but as he gets older I think it's important that we stick with our schedule. Interestingly enough, he has never once had to lay down today. :) I think he survived.

If he was genuinely sick (fever, stomach, etc.) I would still try to make up the work over the course of the week. I really don't want to have to do that for the sniffles.

Thanks for all the great input!

My dd7 knows that if she says she is too sick for school, the work will be made up by the end of the week. She has a daily check list for the week and knows exactly what has to be done. She does NOT want to do school on the weekend when Dad is home - no way would she give up Daddy time. So...she almost always decides on her own to do her work anyway. Some days she will save half for the next day and do 1 1/2 days then. Most of the times she chooses not to finish her school involve fever. I never make her do school if she has a fever or is running to the bathroom as some have said. What I am saying is that knowing that the work must be made up or done on the weekend is motivation enough for her to be a good judge about what to do and not to do when she is sick. Then I don't have to be the bad guy. :001_smile:

They get to decide how sick they are and how much it will affect their studies.

If your kid were my kid, he'd be doing school. My ds, OTOH, couldn't talk yesterday, and he kept lying down at the table, and breaking into tears at the thought of doing anything. He was in pain, and dragging. It was pointless to try to do lessons with him because I was just talking to myself. I let him out of his lessons, but didn't allow any TV or video games or playing. He just sat in a chair and read an entire chapter book. He was happy, and so was I.