Menu

At what grade level do you learn square roots?

If I remember my math differences correctly, Singapore is a mastery based program and since the squares are not going to be mastered until I'm guessing 6th grade it wouldn't be introduced. Saxon is a spiral/repetitive approach that slowly teaches everything. So that could be why.

Guest janainaz

Saxon math introduced them briefly in 3rd grade (numbers that are perfect squares, multiplication, square roots - it all goes together).

My nephew memorized them in school in 3rd grade. I don't know how well he actually understood them, though. My ds was in 4th at the time, and was jealous of his cousin, so I drilled him on them. He knew them in about a week.

So, my answer would be, whenever you want them to learn them, teach them, and then they'll know them. :)

Math-U-See is a mastery program and teaches it in pre-algebra. It lists it as "square root formula" so I believe (based on that and my understanding of the program) that it teaches the entire concept at that time rather than just having the students memorize perfect squares.

curious

Well, I looked through my Saxon stuff, and they are introduced to the squares with the intro to multiplication in Saxon 3.

Square roots (and the relationship between factors and squares, and square roots) is further explored in Saxon 5/4.

In Saxon 6/5, they are explored even further and used in more complex problems including finding the square roots of numbers other than the perfect squares.

I don't have any of the levels beyond that.

• 12 years later...