Menu

Sonlight and CHEC

Friends,

With great concern, I called the CHEC office to get BOTH sides of the story as I didn't want to jump to any conclusions and as I am always telling my kids - that there are always two sides to a story. The President of CHEC called me back and spoke to me at length, which I greatly appreciated.

This is not a young earth/old earth debate as such. This is also NOT about Usborne books as many, if not most, curriculum's use Usborne. What the gentlemen told me was that it was about Sonlight having 93 % of it's books (a figure from Sonlight) secular. They are concerned that parents who think they are getting a curriculum that is Christ/Bible based because it is on the CHEC floor will be misled. Whether we agree with this or not, we do have to note that CHEC is Christian Home Educators of Colorado and only 7% of it's curriculum being Christian in nature is not a lot. If a Classical Education Convention were being held we wouldn't expects say, Abeka, to be there.

If you have any concerns, I would encourage you to call or e-mail the CHEC office and hear BOTH sides of the story.

I am not sure if I agree with CHEC's stance or not, but at least I understand it now.

I apologize if this offends anyone, as that was not my intent.

With great concern, I called the CHEC office to get BOTH sides of the story as I didn't want to jump to any conclusions and as I am always telling my kids - that there are always two sides to a story. The President of CHEC called me back and spoke to me at length, which I greatly appreciated.

Yes, that was the right thing to do ~ get their side of the story.

This is not a young earth/old earth debate as such. This is also NOT about Usborne books as many, if not most, curriculum's use Usborne. What the gentlemen told me was that it was about Sonlight having 93 % of it's books (a figure from Sonlight) secular. They are concerned that parents who think they are getting a curriculum that is Christ/Bible based because it is on the CHEC floor will be misled. Whether we agree with this or not, we do have to note that CHEC is Christian Home Educators of Colorado and only 7% of it's curriculum being Christian in nature is not a lot.

That sounds like a load of legalistic crap to me.:)

I am not sure if I agree with CHEC's stance or not, but at least I understand it now.

I don't. Or, on second thought, perhaps I do. The response they gave you merely serves to confirm my distaste for the organization.

Of course they are secular. Most literature out there is. We are reading books like Henry Huggins and Charlotte's Web--both secular. I would expect them to be. Duh! I also believe they have a lot of Christian books on their reading lists like missionary stories and apologetics.

Colleen is right. Those statements are a load of crap. (I wonder if he counted math and grammar books as secular as well.)

Sorry so harsh, but manipulating information in your favor is one of my pet peeves. 93% secular. Give me a break!

Paula

They use a lot of so-called secular books as well. I wonder what the dividing line was in terms of the percentage they felt was acceptable versus what was not.

I guess that we all have our sensibilities. The largest homeschool conference in my state hasn't interested me of late because of they seem to have taken up an agenda that I'm not interested in when I've looked at the list of speakers. Their vendor list is still pretty diverse, but I don't want to drive all that way for just that.

Interesting!

Well now, that is something. I'm almost speechless. That makes even less sense than what had originally been reported. It sounds like they are going to have to offer nothing but Christian textbooks at their conventions. I wonder if they have ever read any of the books that Holzmann has written himself. They are NOT secular. His Intro. to Biology is very much Biblically focused as is his book on the Incans, Aztecs, and Mayans. I wonder if they considered the material in the Instructor's Guides.

I'm just flabbergasted.

Sonlight IS a "Christian Curriculum." I guess daily Bible readings straight from the actual Bible is not "Bible." I guess we need Bible teachers to write Bible lessons for us, because the Bible itself just must not cut it. I only mention that because I have very often heard users of other curriculi say that SL doesn't teach the Bible! We read the Bible everyday! We memorize Scripture verses everyday!

Phew. I'm sorry. I think I've lost it.

:auto:

I was ready to respect them, although strongly disagreeing with them, but now I do not.

What they said was ridiculous. I know enough about Sonlight to know that they are one of the most Christian sets of material out there. They teach parents to teach secular material in a Christian way to their children. Anyone who spends 5 minutes really looking at their guides can see that.

Although I am not a Sonlight user, Sonlight has introduced me to excellent Christian materials about hard sciences that I would not have found any other way. They have also inspired me to include biographies of missionaries with my other living books--again something that I would not have found any other way.

I find the CHEC's decision completely appalling now. Before I read the OP's note, I just thought that they had made a misguided, but somewhat understandable decision. Now I think that the decision was either stupid or dishonest.

The use of statistics to explain their postion makes me suspicious. What criteria did they use to decide what was Christian? Who audited all of the offerings of Sonlight to come up with that figure? When did statistics start being the measure of Christianity?

They seems to be digging themselves a deeper hole with that explanation.

The point I was trying to make - which I obviously didn't do a good job of was that we should hear both sides of the story.

I am not a spokeperson for CHEC so again, my words are not theirs and we should hear both sides of an argument before we make judgements.

I looked at the list of vendors they have accepted so far, and there are LOTS of secular vendors listed as attending.

they don't have a problem with homeschoolers making up their own minds about secular materials, but they do have a problem with homeschoolers making up their own minds about how christian christian materials are?

that's just stupid at best

patronizing at worst.:glare:

ETA:and that's from someone who doesn't even like Sonlight! :)

ETA again: I 100% agree with getting both sides and applaud you for it. Unfortunately the other side isn't very helpful to their own cause right now. LOL

Edited by Martha

I'm curious (and coming from a perspective of never having looked over Sonlight, so no bias one way or another) ...

But ... assuming that the quoted statement was meant as fact, do you suppose a concern is that teaching parents how to Christianize secular materials is not as good as getting straight Christian materials to start with? I have no problem with using the occasional Usborne book or anything, but I do get tired of constantly having to skip things or discuss things or whatever. At these young ages, I'd simply like to teach it as I believe it. And it's not as easy to find materials as I thought it would be. Maybe they think something labelled as Christian ought to be more Christian?

Just pondering ... not trying to inflame ... I've never been to the convention in question or looked closely at Sonlight or anything. Just going on what's been posted here.

I'm curious (and coming from a perspective of never having looked over Sonlight, so no bias one way or another) ...

But ... assuming that the quoted statement was meant as fact, do you suppose a concern is that teaching parents how to Christianize secular materials is not as good as getting straight Christian materials to start with? I have no problem with using the occasional Usborne book or anything, but I do get tired of constantly having to skip things or discuss things or whatever. At these young ages, I'd simply like to teach it as I believe it. And it's not as easy to find materials as I thought it would be. Maybe they think something labelled as Christian ought to be more Christian?

Just pondering ... not trying to inflame ... I've never been to the convention in question or looked closely at Sonlight or anything. Just going on what's been posted here.

I'm in the same camp as you and that's why I purchase catholic when ever possible.

BUT, I make that choice on my own after looking at various options.

Seems it would make more sense to have pamplets or speakers discussing how to weed out things when looking at materials.

. Maybe they think something labelled as Christian ought to be more Christian?

QUOTE]

This thread was started with a reasonable premise--look at both sides.

But CHEC is not presenting their side consistently. I have reliable information that they said something completely different about their reasoning to another concerned party.

So to me it sounds like they made a decision and now are trying to figure out how to justify it.

I'm profoundly unimpressed, frankly, with the reason that they told the OP, for the reasons that I quoted above. And their inconsistency makes me doubt that either of the reasons that they have stated is really the basis for their decision.

This thread was started with a reasonable premise--look at both sides.

But CHEC is not presenting their side consistently. I have reliable information that they said something completely different about their reasoning to another concerned party.

So to me it sounds like they made a decision and now are trying to figure out how to justify it.

I'm profoundly unimpressed, frankly, with the reason that they told the OP, for the reasons that I quoted above. And their inconsistency makes me doubt that either of the reasons that they have stated is really the basis for their decision.

is it possible that there are several different reasons?

if it was a board or committee decision, several people might have reached the same answer "no" but for different reasons.

thus not inconsistant or dodgy at all.

I agree though that they should offer one clear answer, maybe in an FAQ section of their web page for the convention or something?

is it possible that there are several different reasons?

if it was a board or committee decision, several people might have reached the same answer "no" but for different reasons.

thus not inconsistant or dodgy at all.

I agree though that they should offer one clear answer, maybe in an FAQ section of their web page for the convention or something?

Sonlight is a major, popular, international Christian homeschooling supplier based near CHEC. They have sold at CHEC for many years. Now they are being excluded for the first time. Thus the decision naturally raises the hackles of many in the homeschooling community, even non-Sonlight users like myself. It is quite a big change in practice or policy.

There should be a clear, simple explanation for thic change, and everyone who represents CHEC should know what that is and be able to articulate it or shut up and refer questions to someone else who can do so. It is really that simple.

It does sound like there is more to the story, doesn't it?

Who knows what's going on between the two parties, but Bill Roach and Kevin Swanson are men of integrity who prayerfully make their decisions before the Lord, not the homeschooling community at large.

My dh and I attended CHEC for the first time last year even though we live in Georgia and were very pleased with the whole shebang-vendors, speakers, theme, etc.

For us it was a breath of fresh air compared to our stale, uninspired state-wide convention (yes, yes, I realize this is just my opinion:tongue_smilie:)

While we were there, we recognized that CHEC would not be the type of conference that would appeal to all homeschoolers, but we were grateful they are there for those of us who do have a similar mindset and goals in our homeschooling.

This is not a young earth/old earth debate as such. This is also NOT about Usborne books as many, if not most, curriculum's use Usborne. What the gentlemen told me was that it was about Sonlight having 93 % of it's books (a figure from Sonlight) secular. They are concerned that parents who think they are getting a curriculum that is Christ/Bible based because it is on the CHEC floor will be misled. Whether we agree with this or not, we do have to note that CHEC is Christian Home Educators of Colorado and only 7% of it's curriculum being Christian in nature is not a lot. If a Classical Education Convention were being held we wouldn't expects say, Abeka, to be there.

That's interesting, considering I stopped using Sonlight because it was too Christian. :tongue_smilie:(We're Christian, too, but we're not evangelical and I just don't care for overtly religious education.)

It was good of you to get both sides. :)

The reason they're giving is inconsistent considering their list of vendors: http://www.chec.org/chec/events/state-conference/vendors_listing.php

I've been following this whole thing ever since I saw it posted over at Spunky's blog ( www.spunkyhomeschool.blogspot.com ) -- Some interesting discussion going on over there.

I have some pretty strong feelings about all this and would love to voice them in stronger terms, but dh is standing here telling me to be nice, so...I know I'll thank him for it later. :)

I 100% agree with getting both sides and applaud you for it. Unfortunately the other side isn't very helpful to their own cause right now.

Yes, I also understand that the original post was offered in the spirit of hearing both sides to the story; as I said in my earlier reply, that's the right thing to do. As CHEC's side justification is so flimsy, though, it stands to reason they'll receive reactions like those offered here.

I've been following this whole thing ever since I saw it posted over at Spunky's blog ( www.spunkyhomeschool.blogspot.com ) -- Some interesting discussion going on over there.

Indeed!

I have some pretty strong feelings about all this and would love to voice them in stronger terms, but dh is standing here telling me to be nice, so...I know I'll thank him for it later. :)

Aw, c'mon, Luann. You pop up (yeah! so happy to see you!), tell us you have strong feelings, and then...leave us hanging? No fair.:tongue_smilie:

The reason they're giving is inconsistent considering their list of vendors: http://www.chec.org/chec/events/state-conference/vendors_listing.php

Thanks a lot for the Spunky link.

I followed several links from there, and I'm seeing a pretty disturbing pattern. A bunch of men are having a Christian home education leadership conference, and looking to define what Christian home education is via a definitive statement. And to replace our 'Greek model' education with their new one.

Sounds like a pretty significant power grab to me. On several levels.

Sonlight being banned is just the tip of the iceberg here, IMV.

I followed several links from there, and I'm seeing a pretty disturbing pattern. A bunch of men are having a Christian home education leadership conference, and looking to define what Christian home education is via a definitive statement. And to replace our 'Greek model' education with their new one.

Sounds like a pretty significant power grab to me. On several levels.

Sonlight being banned is just the tip of the iceberg here, IMV.

I agree, but...maybe we're just being "silly women".:glare:

A bunch of men are having a Christian home education leadership conference, and looking to define what Christian home education is via a definitive statement. And to replace our 'Greek model' education with their new one.

It's almost as if they realized they left a back door open for the women to have some power and are now scrambling to get it closed.

Yikes. No women allowed? What year is it? :glare:

It's almost as if they realized they left a back door open for the women to have some power and are now scrambling to get it closed.

It was ever so.

Women build stuff, and men take it over. While getting all self-righteous about it. And fighting viciously among themselves.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Well now, that is something. I'm almost speechless. That makes even less sense than what had originally been reported. It sounds like they are going to have to offer nothing but Christian textbooks at their conventions. I wonder if they have ever read any of the books that Holzmann has written himself. They are NOT secular. His Intro. to Biology is very much Biblically focused as is his book on the Incans, Aztecs, and Mayans. I wonder if they considered the material in the Instructor's Guides.

I'm just flabbergasted.

Sonlight IS a "Christian Curriculum." I guess daily Bible readings straight from the actual Bible is not "Bible." I guess we need Bible teachers to write Bible lessons for us, because the Bible itself just must not cut it. I only mention that because I have very often heard users of other curriculi say that SL doesn't teach the Bible! We read the Bible everyday! We memorize Scripture verses everyday!

Phew. I'm sorry. I think I've lost it.

:auto:

My sentiments exactly.

I just sent this email to that Men's Leadership Summit. The one where a group of cranky old men try to decide how we homeschool:

To Whom It May Concern,

As a Christian homeschooler, I am baffled by the very existence of this conference. Why must a group of men decide the direction of Christian homeschooling? Are you not aware that Christian women do the vast majority of Christian homeschooling? Are you concerned that "silly women" will make poor curriculum choices, such as Sonlight, without the guidance of Christian men? Do you not think God instills Christian women with the wisdom to discern quality from trash? Must you censor out all the "un-Christian" curriculum out there so us "silly women" cannot be led astray? Well, thank you kindly good sirs for you obvious concern for my spiritual well-being, but I am pretty sure I am educated enough to make my own decisions.

I'll let you guys know if I get a reply.

CHEC has become a "fly by our rules or you're out" organization. My guess is that Sonlight did way more than carry books that didn't meet their criteria. In the scheme of things, Sonlight is indeed a Christian homeschooling company, but not THAT kind of Christian homeschooling company. Maybe they're truly better off in the long run though.

That's interesting, as both John and Luke Holzmann claim that CHEC never explicitly told them why Sonlight was ousted from the conference last year.

Look, at this point, 2 different people who I have at least some reason to trust (as much as you can trust people you have never met except on the Internet, but I have 'known' them for a while in other contexts here) have quoted the CHEC folks as giving two different reasons for excluding Sonlight.

It's pretty clear that the reasons are at least partly manufactured. This is a power play, couched in religious terms, but basically a statement that Sonlight is not 'one of us'. And I think I know exactly what they mean, and also that I understand why it would be hard to articulate why this is.

Because, in fact, Sonlight would not fit in the lockstep Christian Home Educators clique. They are different. Not unChristian, not duplicitous, not non-conservative. Just a little bit different. A slightly different slant. A little more independent thinking. A little broader view of why Christian parents might choose to homeschool...or not. A little broader view of choices in general among Christians. A more respectful, but at the same time less em-pedestalled view of Christian parents. A little less doctrinaire about roles of Christian husbands and wives. A little more open to respectful missionary work, and to understanding ancient and non-Western cultures. Just a little more open to reasonable minds reasonably disagreeing within the conservative, Biblical body of Christ.

At one time, there were not enough homeschoolers who fit the CHEC model for them to be able to be so exclusive. But now there are, and so the excluding has begun. It will not stop here, if history is any guide.

But I think that this is shameful and very sad. Sonlight is Christian. It is conservative. It is far less secular than many of the other vendors at that conference. And it has a long track record of being one of their attending vendors. So they have to trump up 'reasons' to exclude them now, even though they never did before. Frankly, this is shocking. It should not be happening. It's wrong.

And make no mistake, I'm pretty sure that they would do the same thing to Peace Hill Press. Or maybe they already have.

Oh, I agree--I think CHEC is backpedaling at least to some extent. Even if this is THE reason for the exclusion, it still amounts to "Sonlight isn't Christian enough for CHEC."

On a related note, I wonder how one would go about pulling together a different convention or even a publication for CO homeschoolers that is more inclusive than what's put out by CHEC. I'm not really sure I have the fortitude to become a pariah, even though my intent would be to have an alternative to CHEC and not to create lots of drama and division.

On a related note, I wonder how one would go about pulling together a different convention or even a publication for CO homeschoolers that is more inclusive than what's put out by CHEC. I'm not really sure I have the fortitude to become a pariah, even though my intent would be to have an alternative to CHEC and not to create lots of drama and division.

See you in Williamsberg?

The point I was trying to make - which I obviously didn't do a good job of was that we should hear both sides of the story.

I am not a spokeperson for CHEC so again, my words are not theirs and we should hear both sides of an argument before we make judgements.

Absolutely, and I say I have even LESS respect for the CHEC than I did after reading John's blog. A lot of Homeschoolers here go to that convention because it is bigger and "better." Not to mention it's later in the year whereas ours is in April. Now, I don't know that I'd waste my money.

I stand by what I said in the original thread. We have enough problems fighting for our rights with the states. We don't need Christian Homeschool organizations trying to regulate us too.

We travel in pretty conservative Christian circles, but I had only run into the Vision Forum/patriarchial movement several years ago when I tried to engage a new lady at our church in a discussion about what approach she was using in homeschooling. She deferred to her husband, saying that he made all those decisions. Even when he was sent to overseas for some time, he bought everything and sent her detailed instructions. He went to the curriculum fairs and homeschool conferences, not her. They've since moved away, so I don't know if they're still that way. This type of thing seemed so foreign to DH and I at the time, but we've since encountered more of it.

I've never cared much for Holzman -- his way of expressing himself is like nails on a chalkboard to me. But for the CHEC to say that SL is not a Christian homeschool company is baffling. Sounds more like a turf war than anything else.

I've loved Sonlight for the younger grades. We're on our sixth Core, but I've always had to separate Holzman from the curriculum. :D

Friends,

If you have any concerns, I would encourage you to call or e-mail the CHEC office and hear BOTH sides of the story.

I apologize if this offends anyone, as that was not my intent.

Thank you for checking into this, dhudson. I find this answer to be puzzling, especially in light of the other vendors who are scheduled to be at CHEC. I think there is more to the story that we don't know. Maybe this group has done something wrong here, maybe they haven't. There isn't enough information to know that yet. I also think there is *a lot* of internet assumption and gossip and condemnation going around, and I don't think that's right.

We travel in pretty conservative Christian circles, but I had only run into the Vision Forum/patriarchial movement several years ago when I tried to engage a new lady at our church in a discussion about what approach she was using in homeschooling. She deferred to her husband, saying that he made all those decisions. Even when he was sent to overseas for some time, he bought everything and sent her detailed instructions. He went to the curriculum fairs and homeschool conferences, not her. They've since moved away, so I don't know if they're still that way. This type of thing seemed so foreign to DH and I at the time, but we've since encountered more of it.

:ohmy: Control freak, anyone? I can't imagine living under that kind of...domination. I do respect dh as the head of our home but we are partners. He respects me, my intelligence, and my autonomy. If I say that I think X is a good idea, he'll defer to my judgment unless he has concerns. If he has concerns, we discuss things and come to a conclusion that both of us can live with. He is my husband, not my father. :)

:ohmy: Control freak, anyone? I can't imagine living under that kind of...domination. I do respect dh as the head of our home but we are partners. He respects me, my intelligence, and my autonomy. If I say that I think X is a good idea, he'll defer to my judgment unless he has concerns. If he has concerns, we discuss things and come to a conclusion that both of us can live with. He is my husband, not my father. :)

:iagree:

DH has his job, I have mine. I go to him and ask his opinion, but he never TELLS me what to do. He encourages and helps where needed.

I also agree with what people are saying about John. He is abrasive and somewhat rude. But even if he offended one of the Heads of the CHEC, they have no reason to ban Sonlight. Especially since he's not in charge of Sonlight anymore. Sarita is.

And, as for whether we should be "gossiping" or not, I find conversation is gossip when it's harmful, and looking for no solution or answers. When its intent is malicious. We are looking for answers. The OP was kind enough to contact the CHEC and get their side of the story. If no one ever talked about what was affecting the HS world, we would all still be living in the dark ages depending on our Public Schools for textbooks. We should know about situations like these if nothing else so we can decide who we're going to monetarily support and get behind. I'm assuming the CHEC has yearly "dues" or something like that, not to mention the price of convention. Therefore, it is the consumer's right to know what their beliefs are and what they're doing behind the scenes.

Respectfully,

Dorinda

To the original poster, I appreciate your attempt to hear the other side of the story. Thank you for sharing what you learned.

But I'm not sure which reason I dislike more:

1. The "how dare Sonlight use Old Earth resources, even though they also use Young Earth resources" explanation; or

2. The "Sonlight isn't quite Christian enough" explanation

Either way . . . I am appalled. Truly appalled.

I realize that this is a Christian organization, and that it would be unfair to expect them to feature materials that are blatantly anti-Christian. I don't expect them to include curricula which extols the virtues of paganism, for instance. ;)

But the reality for many, many homeschoolers is that we have access to only one homeschool convention. And I find it extremely unfortunate when this type of censorship occurs, because it effectively blocks our access to a wide range of home education materials.

I've used Sonlight for many years. I haven't always agreed with every single aspect of their materials . . . but that's ok. What I have loved and found consistent about Sonlight is their focus on those of us who live in the Great Hall of Christianity (as Lewis described it in Mere Christianity). I have always been grateful that they have not focused exclusively on the non-salvation issues such as age of baptism, age of the Earth, etc.

So this attempt to narrowly define what "acceptable Christianity" is, and to exclude those companies that fall even slightly outside that definition, sincerely concerns me. It worries me not because I am directly affected by what some self-righteous thought-police group in Colorado chooses to do :glare:, but because I worry about the larger trend in the homeschool community.

:iagree: That's very much how we do things too. I talk to him about it all and we work from there. Together.

In fact, if my dh did as that other poster's aquaintance he'd find himself keeping company with the dog in no time at all.;)

To the original poster, I appreciate your attempt to hear the other side of the story. Thank you for sharing what you learned.

But I'm not sure which reason I dislike more:

1. The "how dare Sonlight use Old Earth resources, even though they also use Young Earth resources" explanation; or

2. The "Sonlight isn't quite Christian enough" explanation

Either way . . . I am appalled. Truly appalled.

I realize that this is a Christian organization, and that it would be unfair to expect them to feature materials that are blatantly anti-Christian. I don't expect them to include curricula which extols the virtues of paganism, for instance. ;)

But the reality for many, many homeschoolers is that we have access to only one homeschool convention. And I find it extremely unfortunate when this type of censorship occurs, because it effectively blocks our access to a wide range of home education materials.

I've used Sonlight for many years. I haven't always agreed with every single aspect of their materials . . . but that's ok. What I have loved and found consistent about Sonlight is their focus on those of us who live in the Great Hall of Christianity (as Lewis described it in Mere Christianity). I have always been grateful that they have not focused exclusively on the non-salvation issues such as age of baptism, age of the Earth, etc.

So this attempt to narrowly define what "acceptable Christianity" is, and to exclude those companies that fall even slightly outside that definition, sincerely concerns me. It worries me not because I am directly affected by what some self-righteous thought-police group in Colorado chooses to do :glare:, but because I worry about the larger trend in the homeschool community.

:hurray:

Well put Lynn!!! Bravo! You said it better than me! Will you post for me from now on?:lol:

Blessings!

Dorinda

And, as for whether we should be "gossiping" or not, I find conversation is gossip when it's harmful, and looking for no solution or answers. When its intent is malicious. We are looking for answers. The OP was kind enough to contact the CHEC and get their side of the story. If no one ever talked about what was affecting the HS world, we would all still be living in the dark ages depending on our Public Schools for textbooks. We should know about situations like these if nothing else so we can decide who we're going to monetarily support and get behind. I'm assuming the CHEC has yearly "dues" or something like that, not to mention the price of convention. Therefore, it is the consumer's right to know what their beliefs are and what they're doing behind the scenes.

Respectfully,

Dorinda

Thanks, Dorinda, but I agree with what you posted above. ;)

I think that this conversation is not idle gossip, but an extremely relevant discussion germane to the very core of what we all do and believe as home educators.