Menu

Just for fun...if you could pick only 7 things to homeschool grades K-12

HappyGrace

Saxon (all the way through- counts as one!)

SOTW (full set- counts as one!)

The Robinson CDs (Aha!! SCORE!)

HWT (all the way through, counts as one!)

-I am so cheating-

Science Encyclopedia

Animal/Nature Encyclopedia

Spelling Power

if I can have them I'd trade three of those for:

home library

public library

internet

It's hard, isn't it!?

I'm still thinking of my list. I'm making it even harder on myself by limiting it to stuff that would fit in ONE BOX in case I needed to be mobile with it!

Another thing that brought this up was that we've been thinking lately about what would we do if our circumstances were SEVERELY limited or changed by the economy or if a disaster type thing happened or whatever. So we might actually try to come up with a portable "emergency homeschooling box" like this at some point.

It's hard, isn't it!?

I'm still thinking of my list. I'm making it even harder on myself by limiting it to stuff that would fit in ONE BOX in case I needed to be mobile with it!

Another thing that brought this up was that we've been thinking lately about what would we do if our circumstances were SEVERELY limited or changed by the economy or if a disaster type thing happened or whatever. So we might actually try to come up with a portable "emergency homeschooling box" like this at some point.

I have actually thought about this too -- but then my list becomes way too long to become portable :D

I can't limit myself to 20 items, let alone 7 :tongue_smilie: ... it will be interesting to read other people's items though.

So we might actually try to come up with a portable "emergency homeschooling box" like this at some point

That is interesting...my sister and I had this very discussion last night. Of course we did not settle on what we would need. We live in hurricane zone and so it is not very abstract to think that we may need to grab a few things on the run at some point.

Laurel T.

Well, I guess I would pick:

The Bible

Robinson Curriculum (as long as we had electricity!)

McGuffey's Readers Set

Ray's Arithmetic (that should take you through high school, right?)

Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons

Handbook of Nature Study

Set of Encyclopedia's

That should cover the 3R's and the Robinson Curriculum has tons of great literature I believe.

OK I'll give this a try. 7 books total, hmmm...Assuming I have no home library, internet, or library access it would be extremely hard.

I think I can live without an official phonics, spelling, and handwriting program.

1. The Bible

2. Usborne History of the World (SOTW would be my actual choice if I could count it as one)

3. WWE

4. A science encyclopedia I would need to search very hard for which specifically.

5. and 6. Two different levels of Saxon (Maybe 6/5 and Algebra) I think I can sufficiently teach the lower math skills.

7. R&S English level 5 or 6.

This would not be the best education for my DS I am positive. However, if I were stranded in the middle of nowhere these would be my choices.

Edited by TCoppock
Maybe I do need a spelling program. :)

It's hard, isn't it!?

Now if we are going with portable emergency box I want the following:

Dictionary

paper

An algebra book

A copy of the Constitution of the US

pencils

The Kingfisher History of the World

The Kingfisher Science encyclopedia

Well for this yr which is K4 and K2 I'd take my Learn and Grow Prek Manual for K2 and then for K4 - Bible, FLL, MUS, AAS 1, Horizons, Apologia Astronomy. That is what I would keep out of what I'm using now. In the fall I'll have a different list. I really want to say Sonlight, but all those books would be hard to quickly grab.

I'm thinking I could do the majority for the lower grades myself as far as math, reading, and writing if I really had to do so. I think I could even teach higher level writing in a pinch. I'd need more help with the upper grades in other subjects though.

For my box I think I'd want (and these are in order of importance to me):

1. Bible (if I could only choose ONE thing, this would be it. Because it's God's Word to us, but also because I think I could teach many, many other "subjects" using it alone!)

2. a really good dictionary-a lot of them have helpful appendices with charts, tables, etc.

3. a couple mid to higher level math books (I'd have to think about which ones)

4. DK History: Definitive Visual Guide

http://www.amazon.com/History-Definitive-Visual-Civilization-Present/dp/075663119X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232939764&sr=8-1

(We had a whole post on this awhile back.)

5. A science encyclopedia similar to the DK History-not sure which

6. Analytical Grammar-from what I understand, this could teach all of grammar in three years, in a pinch

7. Some kind of literature anthology, maybe? Not sure what.

I would assume paper and pencils. I like Parrothead's idea of a copy of the Constitution. I have a tiny booklet sized one that would be perfect!

With the things in this box I'd be able to teach other things like spelling, vocab, etc.

I may make a couple changes after I think some more, but I think that should cover it.

Edited by HappyGrace

My choices if I could only have 7 things are not really curric at all, more resource materials:

1. Bible

2. Dictionary/thesaurus/rhyming dictionary- they are all small size over all so should count as 1

3. Kingfisher History

4. Atlas

5. Norton literature anthology

6. Writer's handbook(covers grammar, letter writing etc- used this in college)

7. Rourke's world almanac encyclopedia (for science)

Of that list I own 6 of the 7 things I listed already, just not rourke's encyclopedia, mainly because I have ones specifically for each science area we are covering rather than 1 large resource.

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t homeschool without my library! But, alright, I’ll play. I would stick with readin’, writin’, ‘rithmetic, and research. To homeschool without a computer or library-

• Dictionary/thesaurus
  • CLE Learning to Read Manual (I’d like the whole program, but I’d settle for the manual)
  • IEW TWSS
  • Norton World Lit
  • MUS Blocks
  • MUS Alg1, Geometry, Alg2 (can that count as 1?)
  • a set of encyclopedias (can that count as 1?)

What in the world would you do about literature if you only had seven books? Honestly, the encyclopedias and MUS books are probably cheating. They certainly wouldn’t fit in one suitcase.

If I could have the computer, my choices would be different.

Mandy

1. Bible

2. DK Encyclopedia of Science

3. DK History The Definitive Visual Guide

4. Oxford Anthology - Restoration and 18th Century

5. Oxford Shakespeare

6. Understanding Mathematics: From Counting to Calculus

7. Dictionary

Do I own any of these now (beyond the Bible)? No. And I am so dependent on curriculum to make it "fun" and organize it for me. This would be so much work but it almost seems like kind of a challenge to try it (for a very little while, and maybe just for myself, not for anyone whose education matters).

Let me give this a shot. Just 7 things, huh?

In no particular order... here goes:

1. Saxon math (K-12) - that counts as 1, right?

2. FLL (assuming each higher level continues to be published yearly) or Schoolhouse Rock collection

3. WWE or CW all the way through 12th

4. Bible

5. AAS

6. The complete works of C.S. Lewis (in a set, which is 1), or some other literary anthology

7. atlas

That is interesting...my sister and I had this very discussion last night. Of course we did not settle on what we would need. We live in hurricane zone and so it is not very abstract to think that we may need to grab a few things on the run at some point.

Laurel T.

:001_smile: We did that this summer, twice! I stashed the family photos in a rubbermaid, left them at home and packed the homeschool curriculum in the car.

The seven things I would take...

1. The bible

2. Unabridged Webster dictionary (weighs about 7lbs)

3. Living Memory

4. Dolciani algebra book

5. Warriner's Grammar and Comp third course

6. The Complete works on Shakespeare (I have them in one volume)

7. Handbook of Nature Study

have? I didn't even know they made these! I'd like to buy one, if you have a recommendation.

Well mine is a 1952 version edited by G.B Harrison. I bought it at Goodwill for .89 and it comes complete with lots of handwritten study notes from the previous owner. :tongue_smilie:

Here are some options at amazon.

I'm going to assume that I have a computer or at least access to one...

1) Ocean (this is a free computer program which contains scripture from several religions)

2) Rightstart Math

3) Life of Fred Math

4) Classical Writing

5) a COMPLETE world history book, not sure which

6) The Story of Science

7) my iPAQ or a Kindle, stuffed with books

1. Dolciani Algebra II

2. Euclid

3. complete works of Shakespeare

4. complete works of Aristotle

5. Oxford English Dictionary

6. Henle I (I would need to find a copy that had the answers in the back. :))

7. the last one would be some sort of anthology (Norton's maybe?) I would want it to include important American documents, selections from the Bible, additional literature, etc. I would have to research anthologies before deciding.

I think I could teach K-6 skills using the above books and my own knowledge from teaching the older kids.

I would not be using it to teach much normally, but I have a book called "High School Subjects Self Taught," that would be perfect for one of the 7. It has history, geography, civics/govt, econ, grammar, speech, some literature selections from a variety of countries, art (painting, architecture, sculpture, music), French, Spanish, Latin, general math (including banking math), algebra, geometry, trig, gen science (computers, weather, transportation, communication, atomic energy, space, maintaining our food supply), astronomy, geology, physics, chemistry, biology, physiology, psychology, sociology. It is 1441 pages long!

With this book, I may only need 3! (Could get by with 1 - 3)

1. Bible

2. High School Subjects Self Taught

3. Unabridged Dictionary

4. Complete Works of Shakespeare

5. Atlas

These are all things I own, and all 1 book! The last two, I'd have to shop around for:

6. Comprehensive history book/encyclopedia

7. Comprehensive science book/encyclopedia

High School Subjects Self Taught was last edited in 1967, so some of the science is outdated, but it's got a lot of info in one book. You can get one if you want for an emergency box:

http://www.amazon.com/School-Subjects-Taught-Revised-Enlarged/dp/B001768N1E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233017552&sr=8-2

Edited by ElizabethB

ok, I'll play :)

i will assume pencils and paper aren't counted.

1. study Bible loaded w/ helps

2. Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

3. a Really Big Science Book --either DK, Reader's Digest, or Kingfisher.

4. Hymnal [we have mountainocarinas]

5. Jansen's History of Art

6. Math --probably something like the "SAT II for Dummies." I'm pretty comfortable using rocks and leaves and twigs as manipulatives and for games.

7. Favorite Poems Old and New

I would encourage the kids to write stories, pull spelling from that and the books above using SWR methods, and implement a lot of oral storytelling to pass on the secular literature w/ which i was familiar.

Well, it wouldn't all fit in one box, but if I could have my home library, I swear I'd be all set for YEARS!! (but I'll still buy stuff, but that's another thread.)

Okay, my list:

The outdoors

All the fiction, historical fiction, etc. we already own

Paper, pens, pencils, crayons, scissors, paint, clay (I'm counting this as one thing....don't give me a hard time, now, ya hear?)

Games

A good history spine--usborne world history, maaaaaybeee.........

A good general science spine(that one is hard to narrow down)

Our schoolroom with the big windows and cozy wood stove

Doing this list has put a smile on my face............

• 3 years later...

I didn't play originally. IF I didn't have internet or the library, but we are also assuming I have paper, pencils and the like.....

My list

1. LOE Essentials and Cards

2. DK History

3. DK Science

4. IEW TWSS

5. Some math series for pre-algebra and up

6. Gardner's Art Through the Ages

7. A fully loaded Kindle of Classic Lit- or some Lit Anthology

The Bible

My home library and/or library card (for all those great read alouds)

Math curric

Ambleside reading lists

Other than those things and the great outdoors and pen and paper.....I don't think I would need anything else! I could probably wing it without the math curriculum if need be--my husband is a math guy!

If we were all of a sudden cut off from everything but had access to all my books, including those in my garage, I could do it. I have college level texts for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Algebra, Calculus, Literature, US History, Accounting, Business Law (not very useful under those circumstances I guess).

I have plenty of books for K-5 level in every subject. Dictionaries, encyclopedias, Bibles (even though we aren't religious), story collections, etc.

If we had to take it on the road? That would be impossible. Trying to pick 7 things that would allow teaching 13 years of school?!? I don't see how it could possibly be done. Would this be just to give someone a basic education? Or to try and get into college (as in, only we were in this situation not the whole world/country?) If I had to try:

An Algebra text - I think I could teach math up to this point without a curriculum if I absolutely had to. I think this is the minimum math that should be taught to get through high school for a typical student.

Usbornes Encyclopedia of World History - would probably be adequate as a minimum. It covers more than I had in my public school education.

A good US History/Civics text - probably at a high school level and I could "dumb it down" for the kids while they are younger.

A really good dictionary

A science encyclopedia

A world religions encyclopedia

A literature collection - Norton's Anthology maybe?

Of course, a laptop and the internet makes it super-easy.

I can't do this with no library and no technology. But say I have no choice, and it's pick 7 things, or have nothing, and I can cheat with volumed sets, I'd pick:

What Your _ Grader Needs to Know. 6 medium volumes. Original Edition.

High School Subjects Self-Taught. 4 small volumes. 1989 4th edition.

Professor B math. 3 small thin TM's, with three thin workbooks, and a thin book of charts.

Riggs 2nd edition, which must include WRTR 4th edition; I'll skip everything else suggested.

KJV Life Application Bible large print.

Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary

Draw Write Now. 8 thin volumes. Includes map work as well as art and handwriting.

If I could have a baker's dozen of things, I think I could do this by adding:

Arbuthnot Anthology of Children's Literature

Norton Anthology of World Masterpieces. 2 fat volumes.

Columbia Encyclopedia. 1 HUGE volume. 2000 6th edition.

New Strong's EXPANDED and exhaustive concordance.

Write On! by Karen Newell.

Ed Emberly's Fun Print book (for the facial expression pages)

Respect for all people and beliefs.

Life skills & personal and family finances (not just bills, but savings, investments, emergency funds, adequate retirement, etc.)

Eloquence in thought and word, closely paired with clear speaking (clear wording AND speaking distinctly)

An open mind, without which you miss most of the miracles going on around you

Pure, unending 'satiable curtiosity' (to quote Kipling) -- undying euphoric interest in lifelong learning

Confidence in themselves and their own judgement, and the determination to hold to their principles and determine their own path

Libraries are to be cherished, enjoyed fully, and supported unendingly to the best of one's ability

I know this might not be what you had in mind, but if i had to limit homeschooling to just 7 topics and rely upon the school system and/or the world for the rest I will teach them the things that the "system" won't.