Menu

what would you do: washer and dryer

we are moving into a rental house in August.  It has what they are calling a "bonus" item....washer and dryer....which if they die, we have to replace.  We own a washer and dryer, but were considering leaving it because at the new home there already is one.   

The "new" washer's tub isn't as large as my current one is and it has an agitator and I am used to an open tub.   But it seems to work just fine (I tried it when were last there).  I am used to washing large loads but I could get used to washing smaller loads, The dryer works fine as well (but the door is hard to close....but it does close).  They both seem fairly newish, but I have no idea for sure.

If we took our current ones, we would either have to store the ones in the rental or our personal ones.  Plus the cost of moving them 900 miles. 

What would you do? Take the ones we own or leave them? 

900 miles? I’d sell what I had, use what’s there, and secretly hope it dies in a few years so I can replace it with what I like. Are they calling it a “bonus item” so they don’t have to replace it if it breaks?  If that’s the case I’d want them to remove it so I could use my own stuff. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

900 miles? I’d sell what I had, use what’s there, and secretly hope it dies in a few years so I can replace it with what I like. Are they calling it a “bonus item” so they don’t have to replace it if it breaks?  If that’s the case I’d want them to remove it so I could use my own stuff. 

right....that is why it's "bonus"....however, if it works for a while, then that is time that I don't have to use one I bought....so...there is that.

I would check the cost of moving the washer and dryer I like vs. buying a new one that I like. I would only consider moving the one I have if the cost of moving the washer and dryer is at least 25% less than the cost of buying a new one. Even then I might think of just leaving it and use the one they have and at some convenient time buy a new one I like to replace it (if I plan on staying there for a significant amount of time).

I wouldn't store any of the washer and dryer. If I replace theirs (even if it's just because I don't like it) I'd just go with "Eh, it 'broke'" and get rid of it.  

Why would you be responsible for replacing appliances in a rental that, if broken, you’d have to replace? Is this a family deal of a lease or something? Appliances wear out, and washers and dryers have become remarkably short lived…  Either they need to remove it and remove your liability, or the onus of repair and replacement is on them.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Why would you be responsible for replacing appliances in a rental that, if broken, you’d have to replace? Is this a family deal of a lease or something? Appliances wear out, and washers and dryers have become remarkably short lived…  Either they need to remove it and remove your liability, or the onus of repair and replacement is on them.

This. It makes no sense whatsoever that you would be responsible to replace appliances in a rental. 

how much would it cost to move them vs replace them?  (if you have to replace them because they break - do you have to leave what you buy?  Nope, not doing it.)

how long are you going to be in this rental?

I would probably tell the owner I'm not interested in their W/D and to please remove them as I have my own.  Then it is their problem to store them.

• Like 3

If the ones in the rental break and you replace them, are the ones you replace them with yours to keep? Meaning, they go with you when you move? If yes, then I’d sell my current ones, use the available ones, and replace them with what I like when the need/want arises. 

FWIW, traveling 900 miles can damage your existing ones. Even if you use the locking bolts, load/unload it yourself with care, etc—they just aren’t designed to bounce around in a moving truck for hundreds of miles. Ask me how I know…🥴

ETA: Oh! If you do decide to take your own, take measurements!!! You’ll want to make sure yours fit in the space provided. A lot of the front load machines are bigger than the top load, especially if the top load is older or has a smaller drum like you mentioned. Measure width to see if they fit in the space, but measure depth too! If they stick out too far for a door to close, etc. you need to know. 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

They won’t leave the replacements there. 😵‍💫

Just make sure that is in the agreement.  If the current ones break and need to be replaced that they can take the replacement ones with them when they move.

• Like 3

I am confused, maybe like others, by the word “replace.”

If you can use theirs until they die, then buy a new set for yourself, that will go with you when you leave that rental — great. Don’t move yours 900 miles, just use theirs until it’s time to move and/or buy your own out there. 

If they mean you will buy a replacement to leave in their home — nope. I would not agree to replacing old appliances in a rental. 

Definitely clear this up, and get it in writing if you plan to use their old appliances.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I am confused, maybe like others, by the word “replace.”

If you can use theirs until they die, then buy a new set for yourself, that will go with you when you leave that rental — great. Don’t move yours 900 miles, just use theirs until it’s time to move and/or buy your own out there. 

If they mean you will buy a replacement to leave in their home — nope. I would not agree to replacing old appliances in a rental. 

Definitely clear this up, and get it in writing if you plan to use their old appliances.

it's not that I would be responsible to replace the ones in the house and leave them there....they would be ours....but my quandry is that I already own a set...but is it worth bringing....I guess it's kind of like the stove too....it's a flat top electric and I have a wonderful gas stove....it's not mine to move, but I would certainly like to replace it....but I can't....there isn't gas in the house....so I will use what is provided...and try hard to remember it's a rental. I have no idea how long we will be there....we did just sign a year's lease....

the reason we are doing this is because we are moving closer to my in-laws who need help, but are still in their home and since we have no idea how long they will be around (they are in their 90's) we have no real idea how long we will live there...and in that house. 

thank you everyone for helping me sort this out. 

• Like 1

Sometimes we make decisions that may cost a little money because it's just easier.   I would sell yours before you move.  Hope the ones at the rental work for a while.  If they don't,  you can always buy another set used or new.  No one can know what the best decision will be.... but I wouldn't want to move them that far. 

• Like 2