Menu

hearing aids suggestions and advice

Bootsie

I have a family member who needs a hearing aid.  This person is asking people to repeat things, is getting conversations confused, and doesn't hear some things like the oven time going off.   An audiologist confirmed some hearing loss and has suggested hearing aids--the cheapest starting at $5400.  I have heard of a number of people going to Costco for hearing aids and see that they have some starting around $1500--which is significantly less.  Are these hearing aids of significantly different quality?  Any advice?

We took my MIL to an audiologist, but she got a pair for like $3500. That was the second cheapest pair, but that manufacturer had higher models that went up to $7500.  They had a choice of other manufacturers (brand he recommended for her was Phonak). 

If I understood correctly, you can get some of the cheaper ones and use an app to program them to work correctly for that person's hearing, but I think this probably works best if that person is technically literate.  And I'm not sure how difficult that actually is. Audiologist probably spent 10-20 minutes programming them for MIL, and then more time showing her how to turn on/off/answer phone, hang up phone, clean, etc. 

So far, my MIL got a free tela-loop (not sure on spelling) a device that she can pull into the hearing assist devices at church that sends the audio signal to her hearing aids via bluetooth vs. her having to take her hearing aids out and put in the old wired ear buds.  We also had to go back once because she thought one stopped working, but she just hadn't been cleaning them, but they cleaned them (wax buildup), showed her again how, and gave her several extra (free) filters (which with hers you replace periodically - depending upon how much ear wax). 

Fit is important - both for hearing and for comfort. We got her custom ear molds so hers fit exactly right. Fit/comfort is very important in getting a person to actually WEAR them. 

Both MIL and her sister went through a couple of hearing aids. Her sister never really liked hers and rarely wore them because they weren't comfortable. 

Whatever you chose, IMHO, make sure to get bluetooth. Cell phones are much better. They have a device you can connect to the TV so the sound can be transmitted via bluetooth so the volume doesn't have to be loud enough for the neighbors to hear. 

So based on our experience with MIL (91 yo), I would chose to go with audiologist provided - both for proper programming, support, willingness to repeat and show again how to do things, etc,  - that is assuming that the money is not a significant hardship. 

The higher pairs might have been better as they could detect ambient noise and somehow tune it down somewhat and focus the hearing part towards the front (where it assumed the speaker would be, I guess). I think we should have invested in a higher capable pair since most of her issue is in crowded situations - dining room at her Independent Living place, any place with more than one person.  But she didn't want to spend that much money. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 3

No direct experience with Costco, but my audiologist friend says that the reason hearing aids get such a bad rap is that people don’t buy what their audiologist recommends because they are expensive.

That said, sometimes there are parallel brands that can be a little less expensive.

You’re also usually paying for servicing and tweaks to go along with the hearing aids. 

• Like 3

My mom has had both the super expensive ones and Costco less expensive ones. Costco ones work fine for her. 

Fit definitely matters.

So does fine motor skill. My mom has terrible arthritis and the pricey, small ones were hard for her to hold and get in. She chose a larger style with an over the ear wire the second time around bc they are easier for her to see and handle. 

ymmv

• Like 1

Dh has hearing aids from Costco. We didn’t check anywhere else, just went there, because they were recommended by so many people. 
 Customer service is amazing. Whatever he needs to have checked, tweaked, repaired, etc, it’s free.
I think his were under $2,000. He is quite happy with them.

They are Bluetooth, and he can control them from his cell phone. He can listen to the Tv and he takes phone calls with them. 

Even if you don’t have a Costco membership, and she will need her own, she will save so much more  using them there.

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 1

I would start with the cheaper ones.  I have NHS Phonak hearing aids. They have Bluetooth and work really well for me. Both my husband and brother have more complex needs and have moved on to expensive ones because the NHS versions no longer did what they wanted.

Tips - build up wearing them slowly, a few hours a day at first. It's really tiring at the beginning as the brain adjusts. The acclimatisation period is really important though - the brain has to learn what to do with the new input. Persevere until it becomes automatic to wear them all day.

• Like 3

I have Widex hearing aids. They were expensive (around 7k). They are warrantied for 4 years & service for them is included for 7 years. 

I have mild hearing loss in one ear & moderate in the other. Mine are rechargeable batteries, so no need to replace batteries. I love the phone app that allows me to change the settings when needed. When I go in for servicing every six months, the tech can change the range of the settings if needed. For me, the ones I have were the best choice. 

Thanks for all the information!  I have passed it on.  This person is active (mid 70s), doesn't have significant dexeritiy problems or significant hearng loss--but enough that bacground noise is problematic.

• Like 1

Go with the audiologist!!  They will tweak the hearings aids until they are just right for the user.  Most people who buy hearings aids will give up quickly because they don't like how some sounds are too loud and others are too quiet.   Good hearings aids and a good audiologist area worth the price.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

Go with the audiologist!!  They will tweak the hearings aids until they are just right for the user.  Most people who buy hearings aids will give up quickly because they don't like how some sounds are too loud and others are too quiet.   Good hearings aids and a good audiologist area worth the price.

Does Costco not use audiologists?  And isn't tweaking just what an audiologist does? 

My experience and that of my husband and mother have been that the experience of sounds being too harsh or soft is part of the brain retraining as frequencies are heard again for the first time in years. This was for both cheap and expensive hearing aids. 

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Does Costco not use audiologists?  And isn't tweaking just what an audiologist does? 

My experience and that of my husband and mother have been that the experience of sounds being too harsh or soft is part of the brain retraining as frequencies are heard again for the first time in years. This was for both cheap and expensive hearing aids. 

Dh got all that help at Costco and continues 2 years later to get them tweaked as needed. No charge . Audiologist at Costco appointments free with the purchase of hearing aids. . 

• Like 2

For veterans, try the VA first. Might not end up being the best fitting aids for all, but definitely worth a try given the cost. Amazing service center to call with any issues, and they overnight new charging cases etc. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My Costco has hearing aid technicians. They have 2 months of training. An audiologist has a doctorate degree. Definitely not the same.

• Like 4

My dh experience was there was the person  he works with , worked for an audiologist. 

Costco says some locations have audiologists, but not all. 
whike having nothing to compare it to, he is very happy with the service he has received from them. 

4 hours ago, Shelydon said:

My Costco has hearing aid technicians. They have 2 months of training. An audiologist has a doctorate degree. Definitely not the same.