Menu

THIS is why I am a hoarder

DawnM

Ok, not really, but ugh, I swear as soon as I get rid of things, even if I haven't needed them before, I need them!

I gave away 4 suitcases when we moved.   They were my dad's and they were the large, check in size.   We normally just do carry on size.   

Now I am scrounging for suitcases to take on my trip.   And we get 2 checked bags for free.

I was given 3.   2 are older and I don't really care what happens to them.   Then this week I was given a beautiful TravelPro flight crew bag.   It is amazing!  It will be a keeper.  I only wish it had 4 wheels instead of 2.

I am getting some 2nd hand Samsonite spinner bags today (off of FB marketplace), but this search for luggage has lead me down some rabbit holes in reading reviews, looking things up, etc.....

I ordered 3 Wrangler suitcases from Walmart that were $35 on sale.   They arrived and I am returning them.   They are garbage.

I can't believe how much some suitcases cost!   My friend told me to get Away bags.....they are like $350-$500 each!   If I were single, I might be able to justify that, but we are a family of 6 and I can't afford multiples of those.   Other brands in that category are Tumi, Briggs and Riley, etc....

What do you have?   

My favorite bag is my ebags suitcase, but I do wish it had 4 wheels.

I am of the opinion that you should never get more expensive suitcases than you are willing to let the airline destroy.  I go to Marshall's and get the $130 range set of large, small, carry on.

We actually did splurge for a nicer set for oldest ds when he started traveling.  United ripped off one of the wheels on his last trip (they managed to bend/break the entire underside).  He went and bought a $100 suitcase from Marshall's to replace it.

Our "just in case" is a large L.L.Bean duffel in bright, bright yellow.  It's heavy duty and takes abuse, but folds up inside the suitcase just in case we need a spare on the way back.  Otherwise known as the dirty clothes duffel in our house. 😂 It leaves room in the suitcase for anything more fragile.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

I am of the opinion that you should never get more expensive suitcases than you are willing to let the airline destroy.  I go to Marshall's and get the $130 range set of large, small, carry on.

We actually did splurge for a nicer set for oldest ds when he started traveling.  United ripped off one of the wheels on his last trip (they managed to bend/break the entire underside).  He went and bought a $100 suitcase from Marshall's to replace it.

Our "just in case" is a large L.L.Bean duffel in bright, bright yellow.  It's heavy duty and takes abuse, but folds up inside the suitcase just in case we need a spare on the way back.  Otherwise known as the dirty clothes duffel in our house. 😂 It leaves room in the suitcase for anything more fragile.

Well, I want sturdy, and so I am researching brands.   Some brands I really won't touch, they are made to fall apart.   Marshall's had a couple of decent brands, but most were flimsy

I do have to tell you a funny story.

I bought a suitcase for $8 US in China while I was there.   I let my friend borrow it and the airlines destroyed it while he was using it.   It said "Polo" on it, but of course, it was a fake.

My friend argued and argued with the airlines to replace his suitcase because he felt so bad about destroying my suitcase!   They ended up giving him an American Tourister suitcase as a replacement.   It was very large and I told him to just keep it, but of course, now I wish I had it!

I have a large, must-be-checked Samsonite that I got at TJMaxx a few years ago and I love it. It spins so nicely. It’s soft-sided, which I prefer. My smaller suitcase is an Ebag that has the straps where it can be carried like a backpack if needed. I equally adore it, but carrying it full through an airport can be a bit much. But it holds a ton! If we ever need to buy more, I’m going to either get the samsonite set that Sam’s carries, or look for exact pieces I need at tjmaxx. 

• Like 1

If you're just using the suitcases once (even one way on your trip), I would consider shopping at Goodwill.  There are OTHERS who have donated/decluttered their seldom-used gigantic suitcases!   

Youtubers like Minimal Mom and Dana K White say re-purchasing the VERY few items you regret is actually a cheap tradeoff for having a more organized house.  (Trying to commiserate/encourage you.  I'm thrilled for your upcoming trip.)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Beth S said:

If you're just using the suitcases once (even one way on your trip), I would consider shopping at Goodwill.  There are OTHERS who have donated/decluttered their seldom-used gigantic suitcases!   

Youtubers like Minimal Mom and Dana K White say re-purchasing the VERY few items you regret is actually a cheap tradeoff for having a more organized house.  (Trying to commiserate/encourage you.  I'm thrilled for your upcoming trip.)

I have been to every thrift store and can't find anything right now, but I was given enough of the "just use one time" bags now, and now I am looking for bags for us.  I have bags as I travel more than anyone else, but I did recently get rid of a bunch of suitcases that either were older and only had 2 wheels, or were check in bags that I thought I wouldn't use.....

And thank you for quoting that, I do agree with that and am trying to be better about getting rid of stuff.   I just gave away a LOT when we moved and will be giving more.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Katy said:

Try TJ Maxx & Homegoods too. And maybe Costco. 

I have been to all of those so far.   It isn't about "who has a suitcase" it is about what kind to get.   I just ordered Wrangler and they are crap.   

I am getting some Samsonite older 4 wheel bags from FB Marketplace which are most likely more sturdy than the ones I have found at Home Goods or TJ Maxx.  

And just so you know, I need suitcases for 5 of us.   So, whatever it cost, times it by 5.  We each have some carry on bags we have had for a while, but now we need another for each person.    

My friend tried to get me to order Away brand luggage, but it is like $350 per bag!   But she owns a Lexus and I own a Honda, so, there ya go! 🤣

BTW:   She can't really afford the Lexus and my Honda is paid for.   

Do you have the kohls 40% coupon that ends today? They have both Samsonite and American Tourister on sale right now. I’d find a large one that I liked, and just buy it in 5 colors and be done with it! If you go with a good, more mid-range priced brand, you’ll probably be happy with it. 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

I have a London Fog bag from TJ Max that I love. The prices there are great. I can’t even imagine traveling with TWO checked bags plus a carry on and a personal item. That’s so much stuff to lug around. I could see putting a suitcase inside a suitcase if you’re doing a massive shopping spree while traveling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Same.  We get 2 brands from Walmart.  One is ifly and they are great.  I would have to check what the other brand is, but I like ifly better.  We have gotten a great one at Tjmax too.  Cheap ones.  Never had a problem with them expect having kids drag them on tons of European vacations over cobblestones so much that they wore holes through the suitcases.  But both ifly and the one we got from Tjmax have held up to so many trips.   I don't see why you would ever spend hundreds on suitcases when the airlines can ruin them or lose them.  

@DawnM but I totally agree with you.  I get rid of something and then all of a sudden find that I "need" that thing.

• Like 1

I’ve been happy with the quality of a set of bags I got at Costco, a large and a small.  The wheels work great, which is primary, and they have held up well.  I fly at least 6 times per year so I need durable.  Having said that, I miss having a medium bag.  A lot of times the big one is too big and the small one is too small.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beth S said:

I love this thought.  Just this morning I saw a cheap picture frame in my closet still in cheap plastic and I thought, why am I saving that. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

I’m still using the 2 wheeled carry on size bag that was dh’s before we got married, so it’s 20+ years old.  I keep thinking I need to replace it, but it still works, even if it isn’t so nice looking anymore 

This is me. I had a business trip to Germany 30 years ago and I spent $$ at a AAA travel store to get I think a Samsonite--skinny enough to trail me on an airplane aisle, fits in the overhead space. Just has 2 wheels, soft-sided, tips too easily, but it works so I haven't replaced it.

Dh's brother traveled with us once and then got us nice big check-in style bags which we've used a few times. Also Samsonite soft-sided. And I tend to hold on to things too, so even though we almost always use carry-on bags these days, these are still in the closet. My next bag will be a soft bag that fits under the seat--I'm tired of the threat of having to check my bag because overhead bins are full. And I'm almost always just traveling for a few days where a small bag works.

• Like 2

I bought a hard-sided suitcase last minute at Walmart a year and a half ago. It has flown twice and been used for a couple of other trips and is holding up fine. I think I paid $85 for it. 

Edited by Just Kate
Can’t spell!!
  • Like 1

We bought High Sierra luggage and have been satisfied with it. It's not really expensive, but hold up well.

We looked there first because I took one of their shift side bags with me when I was an exchange student in high school 40 years ago and it's still my favorite suitcase to pack. (Though at this point, I wish it had wheels!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, athena1277 said:

I’m still using the 2 wheeled carry on size bag that was dh’s before we got married, so it’s 20+ years old.  I keep thinking I need to replace it, but it still works, even if it isn’t so nice looking anymore 

Yup, that is what I have too, but we don't have enough.

Thanks all.   I picked up 2 Samsonites today from FB Marketplace, 4 wheels, spins, decent shape, and large.   I think I am good with checked bag sizes now, I just haven't needed a large suitcase in a long time!   I need to pull out all of our suitcases that are carry on, we may have 5, if so, we are good now.   I have an under-seater, which I have never used before, that I plan to take.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Katy said:

Another alternative is duffel bags. Fairly cheap, sturdy, and easily collapsible when you return. 

If we aren't using the suitcase for souvenirs, we can just leave them there.   The 5 large check in bags are all either freebies or very inexpensive, so I don't care if we lose them, but I need something with a shape so it doesn't get squished or damaged.   I am not a fan of duffle bags really.   Things are harder to find in them, they get squished, etc....

• Like 2