Menu

Menopause sucks: shoe edition

MEmama

36 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

I’m so itchy and hot all the time!

And I had to buy new bigger tops that are swing or empire waist because I have a stomach that sticks out all of a sudden.

Yep, that, too. When I was young I always had to take in the waistband. Now...muffin top.

14 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

I’m so itchy and hot all the time!

And I had to buy new bigger tops that are swing or empire waist because I have a stomach that sticks out all of a sudden.

Me too. All my life I've been pear shaped but these days I look pregnant if I don't wear a more fitted style that helps narrow that extra bulk. Now I consider myself potato shaped.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Me too. All my life I've been pear shaped but these days I look pregnant if I don't wear a more fitted style that helps narrow that extra bulk. Now I consider myself potato shaped.

Oh my gosh, me too. I say I look like a barrel on toothpicks because I still have skinnyish legs

And as far as the shoes- I just had to donate a pair of Brooks that fit like 6 months ago but a style I rarely wear that were like new. Sigh.

Went through all my clothes today ( I own 3 sizes of wardrobes) & culled so much stuff. 

Now only have things that actually fit in my closet at least.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Hilltopmom said:

And as far as the shoes- I just had to donate a pair of Brooks that fit like 6 months ago but a style I rarely wear that were like new. Sigh.

Went through all my clothes today ( I own 3 sizes of wardrobes) & culled so much stuff. 

Now only have things that actually fit in my closet at least.

Three sizes of wardrobes! Yes. Oh my goodness, I thought it was just me.

Are you down to one size? That’s so brave! And impressive. Nice job.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Spryte said:

No, it's me too.  My weight goes up and down frequently and it's SO stressful because I never know what will fit me next week, in two weeks, next month...I have a stuffed closet filled with all different sizes and I'm afraid just about everything is too small right now.  😞 The changing seasons are hard too because I never know what will fit.  I should just buy all stretchy clothes and hope for the best. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Kassia said:

No, it's me too.  My weight goes up and down frequently and it's SO stressful because I never know what will fit me next week, in two weeks, next month...I have a stuffed closet filled with all different sizes and I'm afraid just about everything is too small right now.  😞 The changing seasons are hard too because I never know what will fit.  I should just buy all stretchy clothes and hope for the best. 

I liked your post in solidarity. I get it. Right there with you.

And confessing that since the onset of a painful midsection area condition — I am all about stretchy clothes — no triggering pain. I could get by with just stretchy clothes, too.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Spryte said:

And confessing that since the onset of a painful midsection area condition — I am all about stretchy clothes — no triggering pain. I could get by with just stretchy clothes, too.  

I'm sorry about the pain.  I know you've been through an awful lot.  

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 11:23 AM, MEmama said:

I have read that a lot of peri/menopausal women are diagnosed with ADHD. Either they've masked all their lives and it's showing through without the filter, or it can look a lot the same.

What makes this all the more challenging currently is that common symptoms of perimenopause brain are super similar to common post Covid brain effects. So it’s hard to know what’s what or if the two things are actually compounding each other.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Kassia said:

Yep, me too. Also liked your post in solidarity. I'm presently actively trying to lose weight so I'm loathe to get rid of the smaller size but my clothes I wear now are a tad too tight so I'm also loathe to buy any new ones. The only thing I've bought in the larger size is activewear but I usually buy activewear a size larger any way, so at least I have those to wear around the house for comfort.

• Like 2

Awwww.  Longtime lover of both hummingbirds and transition rituals that I am, I reaaaaaallllly loved Poetry Foundations' Poem of the Day for today, so timely for this thread.

The Last Hummingbird of Summer, by Beth Ann Fennelly (audio link by the poet here)

reveals itself in retrospect. Unlike the first,
whose March arrival bade you gasp, hands clasped,
like a child actor instructed to show joy, when the last
departs for points south, there’s no telling,
and no tell. Well, so what? You know their cycle.
In August, they swarm the feeder, all swagger,
greedy tussle for sugar water. Suddenly,
September. Chill tickles your ankles. You reach
for long sleeves and you fret. They’ve left? Not yet.
Ear cocked for the symphony’s shrinking strings.
Then comes a day without a ruby flash. Next day,
they’re back. Next day, there’s one. Then none.
Or maybe one? From porches, pumpkins grin.
Your last had left, and left you uninformed.

Kinda? Sorta? Can I say it?—like menstrual blood,
again, between your legs. Your last, perhaps,
or next-to-last, your no-longer-very-monthly
monthly. So unlike your first crimson, at twelve,
its “Yes-You-Are-There-God” annunciation.
Well, so what? You know the cycle. Your body’s
eggy miracle, unneeded now for years.
And you hate waste. Why fill and dump
and fill again the undrunk sugar water?
Enough. Let’s progress to whatever season’s next.
But still, a farewell ritual wouldn’t be amiss.
The last hummingbird of summer, zinging
from the feeder—to others, a smooth departure—
to you, alone, unmistakably, dipping its wing.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm 59 and went through it in my late forties/early 50s. The weirdest symptom I had was claustrophobia for a year or two. When I was on a trip, the elevator had to be empty or I wouldn't get in. I took the stairs if i could. It was so strange. And one day

totally disappeared.

If you're concerned about weight gain, sit by me!! www.theInspiredEater.com,

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Spryte said:

Are you down to one size? That’s so brave! And impressive. Nice job.

No, I kept some things from each size, but only things I actually like and would wear again. A lot was stuff I bought on clearance in a hurry when I went back to teaching 5 years ago - dressy tops that I don’t like (clingy polyester). 
but only one size I kept in the closet- rest in tubs in basement 

• Like 2