Menu

Passport help

DawnM

UGH.   My sweet Aspie son now wants to come on our trip.   He doesn't have a current passport.   We went today to get him a passport and they said that since his NC ID has expired (I didn't even know they expired!~) he had to go to the DMV, get that first, and then come back.

So, we trekked over to the DMV only to be told that they required an official birth certificate, not the copy we had (that the passport office said was fine.)

We spent 3 hours getting absolutely NOTHING accomplished today.

Tomorrow, my college boy will take Aspie to the DMV and hopefully he can get his ID renewed.    I am assuming we need to wait to get that before we can attempt to get a passport again?    

There are no appointments available for the DMV or for the passport office.   So, we have to go and wait.   I suggested they go at 7am but was immediately shot down (dang young adults who want to sleep until noon!).  But that is on them.

Here is my question:   Is there anywhere else we can go to get an ID or passport that isn't the DMV or the post office/clerk of court?   We do not have any of the passport offices with same day passports anywhere near us, I think the nearest is Atlanta, and they don't take appointments either.

I am just thinking the ID will take 2 to 3 weeks to get.   Then we go get the passport in April, which will arrive in May or June.....but then it is really late to buy an airline ticket and I can't buy a ticket without the Passport number.

Suggestions?    Am I missing a simpler option?   

Thank you and please be nice.   I am already upset at the entire thing.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Could you get it done online at https://payments.ncdot.gov

No because it is expired....well, his Permit is expired.   He can't find his ID card.   But he wants to just get an ID.

We just found his ID, it expired 3 years ago.....so that is a no go as well.

Edited by DawnM
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I saw those, well, the top one, but the airline I am trying to book on won't allow me to go to the next page without putting in a passport number.

But I will see what I can do.   Definitely not flying Finnair.....😜

Edited by DawnM

41 minutes ago, zimom said:

The Orlando DMVs actually handed you your DLs right then and there.  I had never been in a DMV like that before.  I would call around and see if that is possible near you.

On the website it says to expect 2-3 weeks to receive it in the mail and that the one issues by any NC DMV that day will be on paper but will not have your photo on it.

I wouldn't even know how to figure out if any of them do it the same day.   The state site didn't indicate that was an option.

I know my son is heading to Atlanta in early May but the passport website says in order to do same day passports, you have to prove you are leaving the country within 14 days.   

Maybe we have time.  Maybe I am just freaking out too early.   

Is there a rural dmv you could drive to? It’ll take longer to get there but should be less crowded. A friend always did this for renewals and teen driving tests. 

When I got my license renewed recently they mailed it to me. In the past they’d always just handed it over and took the old one. I don’t know if they started making the RealID in a more secure facility or what. Anyway, they said it could take a few weeks.  I had the option to pay for faster shipping, but declined since I had a few months before expiration. My new DL arrived the next week. 

We’re currently in Driver’s License limbo with DH. His expired and he can’t find his social security card. He had to wait for a specific tax document to get a new SS card to get a new driver’s license, so I’ve been the chauffeur. It’s getting old.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Is there a rural dmv you could drive to? It’ll take longer to get there but should be less crowded. A friend always did this for renewals and teen driving tests. 

When I got my license renewed recently they mailed it to me. In the past they’d always just handed it over and took the old one. I don’t know if they started making the RealID in a more secure facility or what. Anyway, they said it could take a few weeks.  I had the option to pay for faster shipping, but declined since I had a few months before expiration. My new DL arrived the next week. 

We’re currently in Driver’s License limbo with DH. His expired and he can’t find his social security card. He had to wait for a specific tax document to get a new SS card to get a new driver’s license, so I’ve been the chauffeur. It’s getting old.  

We had one like that.   It was an hour and 15 min away.   Now everyone knows "the secret" and it is just as busy as the others.....grrrr.

If they offer faster shipping, we will take it!

Sorry you have to provide taxi service....that stinks.

And getting a replacement SS card or birth certificate is the worst!

Just now, DawnM said:

We had one like that.   It was an hour and 15 min away.   Now everyone knows "the secret" and it is just as busy as the others.....grrrr.

If they offer faster shipping, we will take it!

Sorry you have to provide taxi service....that stinks.

And getting a replacement SS card or birth certificate is the worst!

If he would have put it back into the Vital Documents folder when he finished with it he wouldn’t BE in this situation. It’s somewhere in this house and he has no idea where. He doesn’t have the deep-clean-until-you-find-it gene.  I’ve thus far resisted the urge to start searching for it in earnest myself. 

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I know my son is heading to Atlanta in early May but the passport website says in order to do same day passports, you have to prove you are leaving the country within 14 days.   

Maybe we have time.  Maybe I am just freaking out too early.   

Yes, just worry about getting his id.  For some reason, I didn't think you HAD to have the passport number when you bought the ticket.  You had to have it to check into the flight, though.  But you would probably know that better than me.  You might call the airlines and ask.  I just googled and apparently, you can book most airlines without having one, but you cannot check in without it. (And btw, make sure that yours are valid for 6 months after the return date. They won't let you fly if it isn't.)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

If he would have put it back into the Vital Documents folder when he finished with it he wouldn’t BE in this situation. It’s somewhere in this house and he has no idea where. He doesn’t have the deep-clean-until-you-find-it gene.  I’ve thus far resisted the urge to start searching for it in earnest myself. 

My BFF's dad filed all of his papers like that (and passports) under "I" for "Important!"   Then he would forget where he filed them.   He was a hoot.

When he passed away, my BFF and her family were frantically looking for his funeral information as he had always said he prepaid for it.   I jokingly told her to look under I for Important and she laughed and said, "I can't believe you remember that!"   And then they found it! 😂   However, unfortunately, he had pre-planned it, but he had forgotten he had not pre-paid.   But it was payable in 1990 dollars as the price was set, so there is that.

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

Yes, just worry about getting his id.  For some reason, I didn't think you HAD to have the passport number when you bought the ticket.  You had to have it to check into the flight, though.  But you would probably know that better than me.  You might call the airlines and ask.  I just googled and apparently, you can book most airlines without having one, but you cannot check in without it. (And btw, make sure that yours are valid for 6 months after the return date. They won't let you fly if it isn't.)

Thanks, that is definitely something we made sure of.   In fact, only 2 of us had valid passports, and they were gotten within the last couple of years.   My 2nd son for his missions' trip that never happened because of Covid and then my 3rd son had to renew his because the college said they didn't believe he was a US Citizen and tried to charge us out of state tuition!   So we got his passport and they fixed it.

But then 3 of us had expired passports and 1 has never had one (6 year old), so we got them a couple of months ago.   All by my oldest.

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

Thanks, that is definitely something we made sure of.   In fact, only 2 of us had valid passports, and they were gotten within the last couple of years.   My 2nd son for his missions' trip that never happened because of Covid and then my 3rd son had to renew his because the college said they didn't believe he was a US Citizen and tried to charge us out of state tuition!   So we got his passport and they fixed it.

But then 3 of us had expired passports and 1 has never had one (6 year old), so we got them a couple of months ago.   All by my oldest.

I figured you were on top of it, but just thought I would mention it.  We are going to have to figure out when to do ours.  Ours expires August of 25.  He will go to Kenya July 24, Honduras Nov 24, Kenya Jan/Feb 2025 and Honduras May 2025.  So I guess, we will need to send it in when we get back in February.  That only gives us 3 months though, which SHOULD be ok.  We will do expedited, but in the past, I've heard of that taking that long.  I guess if we don't have it for some reason, we will go to the place in Houston where you can get it for 14 days. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasProud said:

I figured you were on top of it, but just thought I would mention it.  We are going to have to figure out when to do ours.  Ours expires August of 25.  He will go to Kenya July 24, Honduras Nov 24, Kenya Jan/Feb 2025 and Honduras May 2025.  So I guess, we will need to send it in when we get back in February.  That only gives us 3 months though, which SHOULD be ok.  We will do expedited, but in the past, I've heard of that taking that long.  I guess if we don't have it for some reason, we will go to the place in Houston where you can get it for 14 days. 

we leave on the 20th!   We will miss him by 4 days!

6 minutes ago, DawnM said:

we leave on the 20th!   We will miss him by 4 days!

Are you leaving July 20th?  I meant July 2024.  I think you will be there at the same time.  He is adjusting the first dates he gave them because another surgeon will be there.  I am not going with him. Maybe I am a wimp, but we pretty much decided I will only go once a year. 

Jan- 3 weeks in Kenya ( hubyy 6 weeks)
Feb - Me ten days in Indiana, hubby flew straight from Kenya there about halfway through
April 1- May 8th-  Indiana camping trip
May 24-June 8th Honduras
July- Hubby to Kenya
Sept 1-Oct 10- Utah RV Trip
November- first week Honduras trip, holiday traveling
December- possible wedding in a different state

So I just wanted to stay home over the summer. 🙂

• Like 1

If you have a valid reason, you can call your legislator's office and they will expedite things for you.  People in my family have ended up doing that several times.  They do always have a valid reason though, and I'm not sure yours would fall into that category.  But you could always call and ask!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DawnM said:

On the website it says to expect 2-3 weeks to receive it in the mail and that the one issues by any NC DMV that day will be on paper but will not have your photo on it.

I wouldn't even know how to figure out if any of them do it the same day.   The state site didn't indicate that was an option.

Oh that is awful.  Here, the paper one is like the real one- both have ID.  Qe had to do the DMV runaround.  I had a mlitaru ID and alm the supposed paperwork I needed to get my Driver's license renewed including my expired license.  Dh was in the parking lot.  They said they needed my marriage license too even though he came in a and showed his DL and military ID both w photos anx said, yes he is my husband. Anyway he left mw in the waiting room sped home and back, anx brought the marriage certificate.  I still have no idea why we needed it. Yes we have different last names but so what? I didn't need it when I first got my license in Al. 

We then used my paoer license and old passport to get the super fast passports ours had just expired and dh is going overseas for work next month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

I see a lot of posts online that claim you don't need an international passport to purchase a ticket...

"

Thanks.   I will see if there is a way.   On their website, it won't allow you to purchase without entering the number, but there may be another way to do it,   I can call and ask.

10 hours ago, TexasProud said:

Are you leaving July 20th?  I meant July 2024.  I think you will be there at the same time.  He is adjusting the first dates he gave them because another surgeon will be there.  I am not going with him. Maybe I am a wimp, but we pretty much decided I will only go once a year. 

Jan- 3 weeks in Kenya ( hubyy 6 weeks)
Feb - Me ten days in Indiana, hubby flew straight from Kenya there about halfway through
April 1- May 8th-  Indiana camping trip
May 24-June 8th Honduras
July- Hubby to Kenya
Sept 1-Oct 10- Utah RV Trip
November- first week Honduras trip, holiday traveling
December- possible wedding in a different state

So I just wanted to stay home over the summer. 🙂

We leave Kenya on July 20th.