Menu

hand knitted items for babies and children

I have just discovered a love for making hand knitted items on a knitting loom.   I wanted to start making baby blankets and little stuffed animals for gifts.  But, do young moms these days appreciate those kinds of things or are they more interested in store bought items?  I know that it is something that will be different from mom to mom...but I was just curious if anybody has any insight into this.  These are a couple things I have made and I am now working on the striped blanket and although the picture makes it look like one of the sides is wonky...it's really not....

so the question is...would a young mom these days like something like these as gifts and would use them?  thanks for your opinions. 

20240213_110920.jpg

20240218_174627.jpg

20240302_094645.jpg

• Like 6

I’d be concerned about the button eyes being a choking hazard. And you might find more subdued colors would be more popular. The sad beige baby aesthetic is a thing. But otherwise yes. Another option would be figuring out how to attach a pacifier strap to them. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’d be concerned about the button eyes being a choking hazard. And you might find more subdued colors would be more popular. The sad beige baby aesthetic is a thing. But otherwise yes. Another option would be figuring out how to attach a pacifier strap to them. 

just so you know, the buttons are VERY secure.  They are not the "safety" buttons that only go through one layer of the stuffie.....they are actually sewn all the way through the head and tied on the other side.  They are not coming off unless they are cut.   Thanks for the color and pacifier idea. 

I would still embroider the eyes rather than sewing them on.  Babies are very determined, and mothers are very protective.  It’s best to sidestep that dynamic if at all possible.

I used to make knitted or woven baby blankets a lot for gifts, but now that babies are not allowed to have blankets until they are a year or more old, I knit smaller ‘lap’ blankets for use in car seats and such.

• Like 2

Those look fantastic! I’m not a young mom- but would have loved those back when I was, and I think today’s young moms would too! I agree with the others about not using button eyes, and more subdued colors. 
I don’t have many things from my kids baby years, but did save the handmade items I received. They just seem so much more special that someone took the time to make them.

When I had mine my child health nurse gave dire warnings about the hazards of babies losing fingers by getting wrapped in handknitted blankets. I realise in hindsight that risk was somewhat exaggerated. 😂 I think try to choose patterns that are relatively close weave and I would do thread not button eyes, because no matter how secure a chewing toddler will eventually get through.  Otherwise yes. I think there’s quite a trend back to hand knitted items these days and they will be loved.  Neutrals and muted colours are very in.

• Like 3

I personally LOVE the rainbow blanket, and I'd be beyond thrilled to receive any of them as gifts. Too cute and very special.

Perhaps go to Target.com and look at the baby section if you want to know what colors are in right now. 🙂 

My daughter always loved them for her babies. She loves vintage looks, and snugglies. Right now and a friend and I are sewing toddler clothes from vintage patterns out of quilt fabric and having a blast. T looks so darn cute in those clothes! I say go for it. You could also donate to baby pantries for moms in need. I make flannel burp rags, changing clothes, and receiving blankets for our county one, and also baby quilts and sun dresses and rompers. Even our local social services agency has a couple of closets they keep packed with items for parents in need, and foster parents taking a baby on short notice. I think they would love these precious, handmade things.

• Like 1

I never used those for my kids.  I had a family member knit or crochet blankets for my kids and they were beautiful but totally impractical.  Not safe as little fingers and toes can get wrapped up in them.  They didn't hold up to washing, and you know that babies are a total mess.  So we saved them and put them on backs of chairs or once in awhile would wrap that handmade blanket around the baby that was already wrapped in a regular blanket when we were with them at all times, say in a stroller.  Or use in a photo session.  And yeah I wouldn't  give a baby anything that had eyes like that.  Heck even a toddler is not safe with things like that.  Ask me how I know.  

I think it depends on the parent. 

I'm a knitter/newish crocheter with grandkids and have made each grandchild a couple blankets and sweaters, cardigans, hats, etc. I look for patterns with a solid fabric and change up the type of yarn I use depending on the parent - cotton/wool/acrylic blends that are machine wash & dry, or wool blends that I know the parent understands how to care for.

Yarn companies have really upped their game in the man-made fibers arena in the past several years. I've found some good acrylic blends that hold up well to washing and drying.

A small blanket (like a stroller or carseat one) is a good size to make if you don't know the parent well. I think most parents appreciate the handmade item but I've learned that it's best to be choosy about who I give handknits to or, as I refer to these special people, "The Knitworthy". ha

• Like 2

I’m not a young mom, but a mom of a young baby. I do like these things if the yarn is soft. Some is so scratchy and I have sensory issues with itchy stuff. Mostly the toys though more than the blankets.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MercyA said:

I personally LOVE the rainbow blanket, and I'd be beyond thrilled to receive any of them as gifts. Too cute and very special.

Perhaps go to Target.com and look at the baby section if you want to know what colors are in right now. 🙂 

Beige it seems Lol

• Haha 1