Menu

Artificial Trees

AmandaVT

We need to move to an artificial tree next year. DH has developed an allergy to the real ones. Does anyone have favorite places to buy from? Lit vs. unlit opinions? I'm guessing a good time to buy may be right after Christmas, but any suggestions on that would be good too! I've been looking on the Balsam Hill website, and they seem to get good reviews. Help - I've always been a real tree person! This is unchartered territory for us. 

Balsam Hill, but be warned it's not cheap. I got it unlit but often think maybe I should have gotten a pre-lit. One of my cats likes to hang out around the tree and probably would climb it if she could, but the branches of the tree can't hold the 9 lbs. of her. Basically she tried it once and fell off the branch. The "leaves" are really pokey so I also think she didn't like the feeling. (Absolutely will knock ornaments off the lower branches though.)  

I really like this one. . .
and I bought a new fake tree last year . . .(not this years tree . . .  )  we have a real one from our yard.  Doesn't smell.  what, the, heck?  that's the whole point of a real tree!  (no bugs plastered all over the window either).  the wreath from costco doesn't smell either.  Neither did the crate of cedar garlands.  They've always smelled in previous years.

we've downsized trees over the years.  first fake tree was 11'.  then 9', then 7 1/2' . . . I keep thinking how much I miss that 11' - except when it comes to decorating the thing (two 8' ladders on either side for the top half, then when that's down, I remove the ladders and finish the tree.)  Dh is super busy the first half of dec, so it is on me.

this year . . . this live one from our yard (we planted five nobles maybe10? years ago, they are overdue to be harvested . . )   is at least 12' (after cutting off trunk, and seriously trimming branches)  I really like that it's not "perfect" (I detest perfectly conical trees.  aside from they look like a sheard monstrosity that would be perfect for a McMansion, they don't decorate well.)

7 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I had a fake tree for my office, and the branches were too flimsy to hang ornaments on.  This made me paranoid about buying one online.  I’d love to be able to buy a nice looking fake tree that was strong enough for ornaments.  Any suggestions?

early in the season, we've bought fake trees at Michael's and Home Depot.  The good ones sell out fast.  Balsam Hill has nice trees - but very expensive.  Some Nordstrom stores have a display of them, or at least some of the branches so you can see what they're like - then you order it.

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

early in the season, we've bought fake trees at Michael's and Home Depot.  The good ones sell out fast.  Balsam Hill has nice trees - but very expensive.  Some Nordstrom stores have a display of them, or at least some of the branches so you can see what they're like - then you order it.

We finally got a fake tree this year.  We tried last year and were too late to go looking in person and dh ordered a couple that looked okay in pics but we didn't like in person and we returned them and got a real tree.  So this year we managed to get out on time.  We looked a few different places and only saw one tree that we liked, which was at Home Depot (the rest of the trees there and all the other places were a big nope).  We did get prelit, even though I wasn't crazy about the lights, but one of the big reasons to get it was to make it so dh didn't have to swear at the tree while managing the lights every year.

12 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

We finally got a fake tree this year.  We tried last year and were too late to go looking in person and dh ordered a couple that looked okay in pics but we didn't like in person and we returned them and got a real tree.  So this year we managed to get out on time.  We looked a few different places and only saw one tree that we liked, which was at Home Depot (the rest of the trees there and all the other places were a big nope).  We did get prelit, even though I wasn't crazy about the lights, but one of the big reasons to get it was to make it so dh didn't have to swear at the tree while managing the lights every year.

I'm the one that has to decorate the tree  - so I said we're going prelit (our 11' tree wasn't . .  mistake).  I hate doing lights.  The deal with year, with doing a real tree was I didn't have to do lights . . 2dd was here for thanksgiving, so she was going to do lights . . . She did about half - and some intestinal virus started through the house . . . at least they were on the mend before they had to fly back to Texas.  So . . . I ended up doing lights.   🤨  I got 2ds to do the last two strands.  I just couldn't face anymore.  There are ten 100 light strands on this tree. . . . they're LEDs on a smart switch I can control with my phone.

Our first fake tree was an inexpensive pre-lit Better Homes and Gardens brand tree from Walmart. That lasted several years, but branches started to fail at the joints and lights were going out.  Last year we bought a tree from IKEA; it is not lit and it's easy enough to string lights on it. It isn't the most realistic fake tree around, but it was less than $100 I think.  I'm happy with it. 

We had a tree I absolutely loved. It was too wide for our current space. Found a tag that said national tree company. We replaced it with the Yuletide tree from hobby lobby. It is a nice looking tree. We go unlit because we purchased twinkly lights (app controlled and do lots of things). Also I have larger LED lights and bubble lights that I used prior, so not the traditional small white lights. Plus if lights go bad, you have to replace the whole thing.

We bought a pre-lit one from Walmart that we are very happy with. It was so easy to put together that my 7 year old did it by herself in the time it took me to put groceries away. That being said, I concur with the cat warning. It is the most expensive cat toy I've ever bought. They think it's their jungle gym.

image000000.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kela said:

We bought a pre-lit one from Walmart that we are very happy with. It was so easy to put together that my 7 year old did it by herself in the time it took me to put groceries away. That being said, I concur with the cat warning. It is the most expensive cat toy I've ever bought. They think it's their jungle gym.

image000000.jpg

My warning isn't because the cats will use it as a jungle gym.  After the debacle eight years ago, we didn't have a tree for a few years, and then we got a cheap one.  We only put unbreakable, non precious ornaments on it, and we 100% see it primarily as a cat enrichment activity.

But Obama literally almost died because he strangled himself in the lights on the prelit tree.  He only survived because I was six feet away, and it took both adults in the house to untangle him, and I really should have gotten stitches.  It was absolutely horrific.  

Cats and Christmas tree lights do not mix.  

We got a Balsam Hill a few years back. It’s super easy to set up and store. I do wish we got prelit as that’s my least favorite part of the tree. It was pricey but has held up well and looks nice. I’d get another if we ever upgrade (I’d want taller with our high ceilings)