Menu

Potluck ideas

Soror

We've got our work potluck tomorrow and I still don't know what I'm bringing.

We've got-

pulled pork for sandwiches; potatoes of some sort; cheese ball; cookies and some strawberry fluff???

I need something that will keep because I have some visits before the party and a drive there. 

I'm gluten-free and don't want to bring something I can't eat, that's weird. I'd prefer somewhat healthyish that 'regular' people will eat. They suggested I bring a bagged salad because that is what you get told to bring when you're skinny. Nobody is going to eat the salad I don't see the point of bringing it. 

Roasted veggies

corn casserole of some kind

sweet potato casserole (can be savory instead of sweet)

mashed sweet potatoes

bean dish of some sort

soup (take bowls)

nuts

IME, people with eat fussy salads at a party, just in small doses

Orange slices, pomegranate arils, and walnuts arranged on a tray as a kind of salad. Add a little bit of ground cloves to some warmed cranberry sauce for each person to drizzle on their serving or use as dip.

green bean almondine

Edited by kbutton
Weird typo
  • Like 1

I took a tabouli to my last work potluck and it was a hit. It was all eaten. One coworker even asked for my exact recipe.  It was delicious, could be made the night ahead, and traveled really well.  I used bulgar, but you could replace it with quinoa or rice to make it gluten free.  

eta:  How is it possible to work with a whole office full of people who won't eat a serving of salad?

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Soror said:

pulled pork for sandwiches; potatoes of some sort; cheese ball; cookies and some strawberry fluff???

If that's all that's being served, why wouldn't some people eat a salad?

If your feel the people there aren't generally "salad" people find a salad that has more of what people like. If they generally like dessert bring a sweet salad with lots of fruit and a fruity dressing. If they are generally meat people bring one that has a protein (cheese, bacon, ...) . With pulled pork I would probably do a coleslaw but add a sweet, acidic fruity flavor (pineapple/orange/pomegranate) to the dressing, if pomegranate is being used then you can even add some to the slaw. Also for meat lovers, if you are brave you can add a dash of soy sauce into the dressing - not enough to taste. That will give the dressing that depth of flavor/meaty taste.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...