Menu

If you have pointed out an error on Google Maps

Laura Corin

How long did the change take?

We were setting out on a trip a while back, so I had set Maps up. Husband was driving.  I happened to glance at it near home - we had it on mute - and realised that it was recommending an impossible route. Rather than a road, it was suggesting a farm track that turns into a bramble-choked path. I walk that way regularly and cut back the thorns once a year so that the path is passable on foot single file.

Street View, not surprisingly,  stops well before the path and satellite images show no road.

I reported the error on 12 November and there's no change so far.

It's kinda hard to explain without showing the map but basically it has a road labeled as an extension of the road we live on that is not an extension of our road. If you try to take that other road to get to our house you will run into a dead end at the base of a mountain. It is bad enough that we constantly have to tell people do NOT turn on X road to get here no matter what your GPS says. The road does not connect to our road like the map says it does. Even UPS and FedEx have to call us 75% of the time to find our house because they turn on that wrongly labeled road on Google maps.

I pointed out the error years ago on Google maps. I'm still waiting for it to be changed. 🙄

Edited by sweet2ndchance
  • Sad 2

Years ago, the interstate was extended so that the city was completely circled. That new bit of road showed as nothing but land on Google Maps for the longest time. It was fun to watch us drive right off the road and into the middle of nowhere.

ETA: I forgot to mention that it took years before the new section of road made it onto Google Maps which was surprising since this is a segment of the interstate.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 2

I logged an error regarding directions to a local park (google maps pointed drivers to a tiny sliver of the park on the far side of a creek - there was no way to access the main part of the park from this tiny sliver of the park on the other side).  I encouraged other people to report the error as well after a fair number of us attending an event at the park all ended up in the wrong area.  I don't know exactly how fast they made the change, but the next time I happened to look (about 3 months later), the change had been made. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Years ago, the interstate was extended so that the city was completely circled. That new bit of road showed as nothing but land on Google Maps for the longest time. It was fun to watch us drive right off the road and into the middle of nowhere.

I had that experience when a new major bridge was built. It was under construction for years,  but when I first drove along the approach road, Maps was telling us to U-turn, and it showed us in the middle of a trackless field. 

• Like 2

We live in a 10 year old gated community. Google Maps always directed people to the gate that doesn't have a key pad, which caused problems with people entering the subdivision through the exit gate when someone exited. Many people let Google know their directions were inaccurate. It's only been within the last year Google fixed the problem. We all wondered why they wouldn't fix it after multiple people notified them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

My expectation is that Google Maps is designed to have errors, though I don't know if that's true. It's not meant to be 100% accurate.

Certainly, the frequency of posting images is pretty slow. The vehicle in my driveway on "street view" died 5 years ago. 😉 

Designed to have errors, or they just don't care if there are errors?  Driver beware.  I just checked the Ordnance Survey (official government) map for the area and it shows a track (rather than either a road or a narrow path).  I suspect that when the survey was done, the track was lined with hedges, but the farmer chose to let them grow into trees as a windbreak for the field, and this - along with self-seeded saplings -  narrowed the track to a path.  Google doesn't have any particular incentive to recheck data if they aren't legally liable for accidents

https://www.wnj.com/updates/google-maps-shows-the-path-to-avoiding-liability-for-user-injuries/

I mentioned here before that Google once (presumably deliberately) assigned street names to my old village (such as Rosebay Drive, etc.).  The village had no street names (just house names).  The names were there for about six months, then disappeared.  We assumed that this was to do with tracking down illegal map copying, as also possibly in this fictitious town: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argleton

• Like 2

My backyard shows as a park with a name. I'm kind of tickled since I garden, and I haven't reported the mistake. No one has tried to access this park and they would have a hard time anyway since our yard is fenced and the gate is locked. Plus, anyone can easily see it isn't a park since it's a typical fenced suburban yard albeit with more garden than many. I'm leaving it for now because it makes me happy someone thinks my backyard is a park.

• Like 3