Menu

Settling in

heartlikealion

I thought I owed money to the water & sewer place but it says I have a credit and will receive a paper check ($19). I think they got my new mailing address when I called to cancel service. I don’t owe any more money to the elec company but not sure if I have a credit. When you log in it says you owe no payments and this acct is closed. 

What a relief!!! 

I got rid of the used car parts the mechanic left here. Didn’t get to even collect the few bucks for it because it was under $10. Now I have an account at this metal recycling place lol don’t plan to ever go back. Next time anything he does I’ll make sure he leaves with the parts. 

I don’t even really want to get settled in here… I know I won’t live here that long. Guess I’ll try to declutter more. 

The oven is operational. I haven’t tested it yet. 

• Like 6

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I thought I owed money to the water & sewer place but it says I have a credit and will receive a paper check ($19). I think they got my new mailing address when I called to cancel service. I don’t owe any more money to the elec company but not sure if I have a credit. When you log in it says you owe no payments and this acct is closed. 

What a relief!!! 

I got rid of the used car parts the mechanic left here. Didn’t get to even collect the few bucks for it because it was under $10. Now I have an account at this metal recycling place lol don’t plan to ever go back. Next time anything he does I’ll make sure he leaves with the parts. 

I don’t even really want to get settled in here… I know I won’t live here that long. Guess I’ll try to declutter more. 

The oven is operational. I haven’t tested it yet. 

Curious--why are you planning for this to be a short-term stay?

15 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Curious--why are you planning for this to be a short-term stay?

He ultimately plans to move back into this family home and fix it up. He wants to build a library in the attic, do repairs etc. He won’t kick me out but the understanding is I’ll be here roughly a year or less. The lease says 6 months then month to month. And our relationship is complicated so it’s probably healthier for me not to be here too long.

If I knew it was affordable to buy I would consider that as a goal after I got out of debt and built savings but a friend says it’s a rip off with the increases in insurance (flood etc). So I will just focus on paying down debt and see what I can afford by the end of my time here. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

He ultimately plans to move back into this family home and fix it up. He wants to build a library in the attic, do repairs etc. He won’t kick me out but the understanding is I’ll be here roughly a year or less. The lease says 6 months then month to month. And our relationship is complicated so it’s probably healthier for me not to be here too long.

If I knew it was affordable to buy I would consider that as a goal after I got out of debt and built savings but a friend says it’s a rip off with the increases in insurance (flood etc). So I will just focus on paying down debt and see what I can afford by the end of my time here. 

I hope you can get at least a year of stability and savings there.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I hope you can get at least a year of stability and savings there.

I totaled up all my debt and I want to pay off the zero interest cards before they charge interest. I also added pending medical bills for dd’s recent surgery ($500 so far). I’m not sure how much I can pay down in the year. The Firestone tire card needs to be paid off soon so I’ll throw money at that one right away. 

• Like 3

I used the oven. I’m loving my Sam’s club membership for certain things. I got the walnuts & lettuce in bulk. There’s always a line for gas so I try to go when I’m not rushed. 

There's a plumbing issue at work so I asked to go to another branch rather than use annual leave. 

ds isn’t coming Labor Day weekend. We noticed ringworm on dd last visit and I applied cream but it’s probably still contagious. They've been treating it at dad’s and using a special soap and changing the sheets daily. Why does it take so long to clear up ugh. 

I’m going to pass on the AZ babysitting job. Still going to the Orlando one. The AZ job estimates flights 4 days apart. Long days in the heat being active with children. Then it occurred to me it’s a gamble to get a free ride to the airport. As it is now, I’ve barely got my transportation covered to/from the airport for the FL job. An Uber/lyft would be a rip off. Paying to park could run $26/day. That would all defeat the purpose of taking a job to hold onto money. 

• Like 3

Heart, in the category of “you should know”, typically travel nannies have all of their travel expenses covered (including parking and meals), and are paid a wage well above what they would earn if they were nannying locally because of the flexibility required for the position. Sometimes there is also a per diem as part of the pay package to cover incidentals like snacks, and sometimes they will hire two-three nannies if round the clock care is required, such as with an infant. 

You’re of course welcome to accept whatever terms you want, but I wanted to make sure you knew the standard because you having to cover your parking isnt normal.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Heart, in the category of “you should know”, typically travel nannies have all of their travel expenses covered (including parking and meals), and are paid a wage well above what they would earn if they were nannying locally because of the flexibility required for the position. Sometimes there is also a per diem as part of the pay package to cover incidentals like snacks, and sometimes they will hire two-three nannies if round the clock care is required, such as with an infant. 

You’re of course welcome to accept whatever terms you want, but I wanted to make sure you knew the standard because you having to cover your parking isnt normal.

I actually did not ask about the airport parking. I know when they send you to a hotel the family covers parking. I may need to ask… this is not a normal job 

• Like 2

I emailed the agency to see if anything else is covered such as airport parking or per diem money. I do know they are feeding us at the babysitting event and one night. I’ll see what they say. 

I’m having a couple friends over Sun for a meal with dd at the new place. She’s met one of them before. Dd will wear pants and keep using the cream. 

On 7/24/2024 at 1:24 PM, fairfarmhand said:

For the record, Tylenol does nothing for me. Motrin works but I’ve never had any luck with Tylenol.

Welcome to the 60%  of us who it doesn’t work for pain.  And I am convinced that in US they have so many narcotics attached to acetaminophen to cause liver failure in drug addicts.  When we were living in Europe , I was so happy to just get plain opiates. ( I already couldn't take NSAIDs due to esophageal spasms from  too long use - prescribed by physicians). Now I have to take oxycontide because my liver is too bad.

Any travel job should absolutely pay for travel from your front door. Uber or airport parking must be covered or you don't accept the job. Someone who can afford to hire a travel nanny can afford that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maize said:

Any travel job should absolutely pay for travel from your front door. Uber or airport parking must be covered or you don't accept the job. Someone who can afford to hire a travel nanny can afford that.

They didn’t discuss it and they already booked the ticket. I do have a friend that is willing to get me to/from airport at least. 

I asked about meals weeks ago but didht think to ask about travel until this week. 

Never got an answer to that email (I think that’s my answer). 

I was scheduled for a SNAP phone call this morning. Rather than move the appt, which can potentially delay benefits, I might take a short lunch if their phone call keeps me away longer than a break. I discussed this with a superior. I honestly don’t know if I even have a shot at benefits. 

The school sent part 2 of onboarding. I’ve been going through a long tutorial type thing and answering questions. They said allocate an hour but it takes longer. I started yesterday before work, did some last night after tutoring, and plan to work on it more at my lunch if I even get a normal lunch today. They wanted it done within 2 business days. Ok people, I do have another job. I’ll email them if I don’t think I can catch up. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The agency said there will be snacks at the air bnb and breakfast food. Airport travel/parking on my end is my responsibility. Someone will pick us up at the airport to take us to the air bnb when we land in FL & someone else will drive us to the event the next day(s). 

I’ll probably stuff some of my own snacks in my carry on since I don’t know what they will have. I fly home Friday night so I’m not sure what I’ll do for dinner… worst case I’ll eat in an airport. Flight wouldn’t be long enough to include a dinner. I’ll get off the plane at like 9 pm and I’m working that Sat. I didn’t want to use any more vacation and we’re usually short staffed on Saturdays. I’m off Sun so I can relax Sun. 

———

The subbing job on boarding process is very involved. I needed to get someone to partner with me for this remote I-9 step so I got a colleague to agree. They said they prefer a coworker over friend/family. She’ll receive an email soon with next steps. I think she’s supposed to look at my documents with me before I send over? Anyway, since I don’t have local DL I’ll use my city ID. I did finish the pre-hiring tutorial thing and sent my certificate on my lunch break. 

_____ 

Spoke to SNAP. They said they will snail mail me the next steps but they told me verbally all these things I need to send over. Proof of tutoring income, ID, etc. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 2

I have to force myself to invite people over or I don’t get anything done on the house. I had company today. It went fine. I have a ton of leftovers. I made tacos & tortilla soup. Mostly soup left. I actually ran out of time to make dessert but a guest brought dessert. 

Kitty has a concerning lesion for lack of better term on her behind. I cannot afford a vet visit right now. I get paid Friday. If I do end up having to go in I’ll ask about the flea meds. She had fleas on her again and it took me like 5 tries to get her to swallow the last pill. I removed all the rugs from the bathroom and dining room. The jumbo vacuum broke on me last night. I have a small one but it doesn’t seem to have a place to empty it unless it unscrews. The jumbo one has the visible filter canister thing which I put diatomaceous earth inside.

When I've helped people with I-9 paperwork, the paperwork was very specific about what they'd accept. https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents  Does your city id list height, weight, etc.? It needs to if it's going to serve as a list b document. Your driver's license shouldn't need to be from LA, it just needs to be valid because it's serving as an identity document. 

When I did I-9 paperwork for someone last week, the person I was helping did registration through a portal online, then I had to look at the same document scanned into the portal and verify under oath that what I held in my hands matched the scan in the portal.  I'm not sure what your setup is, but it is likely very similar. So, yes, your friend will need to see your documents in person before she fills out her side of the paperwork. 

35 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

When I've helped people with I-9 paperwork, the paperwork was very specific about what they'd accept. https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents  Does your city id list height, weight, etc.? It needs to if it's going to serve as a list b document. Your driver's license shouldn't need to be from LA, it just needs to be valid because it's serving as an identity document. 

When I did I-9 paperwork for someone last week, the person I was helping did registration through a portal online, then I had to look at the same document scanned into the portal and verify under oath that what I held in my hands matched the scan in the portal.  I'm not sure what your setup is, but it is likely very similar. So, yes, your friend will need to see your documents in person before she fills out her side of the paperwork. 

The snap lady needs I-9 stuff too and said my city ID would be accepted but didn’t want the MS DL (I’m applying for LA benefits so that makes sense). 

the city (government ID) should work because the rule is information such as photograph OR height etc. It wouldn’t let me upload it when I did step 1 of the substitute teacher onboarding. It said bring with you. 

For SNAP, it cut me off from uploading more documents when I applied and I don’t know if I created an acct I can access. They said faxing is fine (our library faxes to them for free). 

So I think I’ll be ok. I can also show my lease for address. 

• Like 1

I figured out the smaller vacuum, I was mistaken. The cat would not take the last pill I tried to give her and the one before that took forever to get her to take. 

The lady from SNAP thought I had an account I could log back into to upload documents, but I said I think I need to fax them because I don't recall creating an account. I just went back to the original URL and as you can see there's no "create account" button. You just go straight to questions. https://getbenefitsla.dcfs.la.gov/

On 9/1/2024 at 4:25 PM, heartlikealion said:

Kitty has a concerning lesion

We've had good luck with Vetericyn for all kinds of wounds and sores. It isn't cheap, like close to $30, but it's cheaper than a vet visit and the bottle lasts a really long time. 

If you can manage a bath for kitty, that will help tremendously. I know, I know! but we did have a couple of cats over the years that we managed to bathe. 

Failing that, a flea comb that you dip a bowl of soapy water after each comb. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, katilac said:

We've had good luck with Vetericyn for all kinds of wounds and sores. It isn't cheap, like close to $30, but it's cheaper than a vet visit and the bottle lasts a really long time. 

If you can manage a bath for kitty, that will help tremendously. I know, I know! but we did have a couple of cats over the years that we managed to bathe. 

Failing that, a flea comb that you dip a bowl of soapy water after each comb. 

A friend recommended this place. 
https://www.lowcostanimal.org/

I’m calling them today. 

I’ve bathed her 1-2 times (successfully) and combed her with a flea comb several times (with the soapy water to dunk the comb in). They will be gone a day or 2 then appear again. I have more recently washed and removed bathroom rugs and dining room runners. I’ve been vacuuming and washing the main couch bedding (since it’s a bed it has sheets. My decorative pillows have pillow cases). 

This is truly a very mild case of fleas. It’s only ever been a few I’ve seen. I’m just trying to stay on top of it and worried we’re not out of the woods. Her backside — I have no idea if that’s flea related. 

video showing Kitty’s backside. Up close you can see a small wound. 

At the vet. We got kitty on NexGard (fleas, ticks, heartworm disease, roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms) 

It does kill the flea eggs too. 

I found a few on her today. Hiding under the neck. The other 2 times I combed her I didn’t see anything. Sneaky little critters. She was scratching though so I knew something was off. As for the wound and missing fur, they said it’s commonly associated with fleas - some cats are more sensitive than others. 

The office fee + NexGard was very reasonable here. She has a bad tooth and needs dental work but I’ll save up to do that later. They said there are 4 stages and her mouth is at stage 2. They may or may not be able to save the tooth but you don’t want it to just stay there either. 

I have a babysitting job tonight and the client is wishy washy about keeping it. If he cancels, I’ll still get paid. 

Completed the drug test for the substitute job. Next week I have a fingerprinting appointment. 

The client blew off the sitting agency. I won’t get paid for the full shift but I’ll get paid for 4 hrs. I had to stay in the hotel lobby for an hour. It was required to give the client adequate time. But I knew they weren’t coming since they weren’t even in the hotel system. 

• Sad 2

Don’t be sad, I got paid for 4 hours, went to dinner with a friend (he paid) and then out later that night with them. My payment essentially covered my vet bill. 

Waiting to hear when our building will close for the storm. I’m anticipating working a partial day today. I got a stack of DVDs in case I get bored and still have power. 

I might bring the outdoor car that lives on the property inside. I dunno, she can get in the garage, too. It has a kitty door. Dunno if that will be sufficient protection. 

Latest I’ve heard is storm will land as a cat 1 hurricane. Or cat 2. 

The Sam’s Club gas line was insane so I got gas elsewhere last night. Did not have to wait in line at other gas station. The kids aren’t here and I don’t know if their school district is affected. Xh had no updates last time we spoke. 

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

The kids aren’t here and I don’t know if their school district is affected. Xh had no updates last time we spoke. 

I hope you don't lose power.

School closing, especially for big events like hurricanes, are "always" posted online. Scheduled closings caused by expected weather events are usually announced on tv, so cloaings would be on that area's TV station website. Looking it up may allow you to cross that off your list of things to think about.

2 hours ago, *LC said:

I hope you don't lose power.

School closing, especially for big events like hurricanes, are "always" posted online. Scheduled closings caused by expected weather events are usually announced on tv, so cloaings would be on that area's TV station website. Looking it up may allow you to cross that off your list of things to think about.

I went to their website last night and it had nothing. Their Facebook said we’ll post updates here (but at the time there were none). Still just says we are monitoring the storm. 

I’m at work until further notice. We are closed Wed & Thursday though. 

1 hour ago, *LC said:

I hope the hurricane doesn't cause you any problems, besides the library closing for a couple of days.

Can't sleep, so I looked up Mississippi School closings and found this, it was updated 8 hours ago.

https://www.wjtv.com/weather/tropics/list-mississippi-school-closures-due-to-francine/

Their school is not on the list but their Facebook finally updated yesterday that they’d close Wed and plan to have school Thursday. They posted a website link to their district closures but the link is broken. 

In my area, schools are closed Thursday. The library is closed Thursday and we plan to go back Friday. But who knows. Our building already leaks from normal rain and we put out bins to collect water. 

Some parts of my town (who knows why) already lost power… it’s not even stormy here. 

I’m gonna cook off food I have while my oven works. 

I don’t know how serious it is to keep jelly cold but I have a cooler & ice in the freezer if I need to put jelly and a few things in there (for making Pb & J sandwiches later). I have misc food that doesn’t need to be cold so I think I’m fine. 

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Some parts of my town (who knows why) already lost power… it’s not even stormy here. 

I’m gonna cook off food I have while my oven works. 

I don’t know how serious it is to keep jelly cold but I have a cooler & ice in the freezer if I need to put jelly and a few things in there (for making Pb & J sandwiches later). I have misc food that doesn’t need to be cold so I think I’m fine. 

Sounds like you are prepared. I wish you well!

• Thanks 1

So far so good. I’ve cooked and baked a lot. Finally had time to make that pineapple cake I promised someone at work. The pineapple flavor was too dull to me so I’ve added some pineapple to the cool whip frosting which is chilling. 

The outside cat has food and water under the house. My landlord said she wouldn’t come in even if I invited her lol she had some dry spots she can get to. 

Xh never responded about school closures but sent me a bill during a storm lol added another $168 to my medical debt. I sent him $200 this month on it. My gosh. I feel like I never get ahead. Every text is “this should be the last bill.” It was the anesthesiologist bill. 

A boardie sent me an Amazon gift card recently(thank you) and so far I ordered supports to hold up the shower rod. I hope it works. I also got a swim cap and goggles which arrived and I’ll pick out a swim cap with dd for her soon. I had a lot of issues with chlorine affecting my eyes (and water in ears) last time I swam. But I don’t want to give up swimming. 

My fingerprinting appt is next week and hopefully I can get some subbing jobs under my belt soon. The FL babysitting gig money will go straight to debt. 

SNAP sent a packet of papers to fill out and I don’t know if I must… one asks my boss to fill something out. I’ll call SNAP and see if my documents suffice… 

26 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I feel like my family doesn’t give a crap about me. Son ignores my texts about the storm and school and when he gets back to me says it’s on the website. Didn’t even ask how things were here. I know he’s a child but it’s still aggravating. Still his father’s puppet. 

This is a JAWM vent because I cannot deal with anymore right now. Just had a mom tell me I should find the school closure info myself and not ask xh (obviously I tried… and eventually they did post some info). And those that don’t know the dynamic don’t understand he’d probably be blowing up my phone if the kids were not with him. “Are you ok?? Did your mom get enough food?? Do you have flashlights?” ad nauseam. 

Apparently I’m supposed to be getting school emails but as I told him in the past even when he adds me to the contact sheet I don’t receive them. I talked directly to the school once (in person!) and they just played pass the ball back to xh. So forgive me for asking a parent not searching for an email. 

Edit: Next time I’ll try calling the school… 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Sad 3

Heart, your husband is the kind of guy that in desperate dreams, one considers coating with honey, burying up to his neck, and letting an ant colony loose on. He just inspires all the rage!

Fortunately, I do not entertain such notions, but I am sure it could be a movie plot. Maybe the sequel to "First Wives' Club".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I get aggravated about communication stuff but most of the anger type stuff has dissipated. 

I don’t know what is considered a fair payment plan toward dd’s medical bills but since I need to hurry up and pay off debt that has interest at stake, I think I’ll just send smaller amounts. He made us send just $50/month to pay off dd’s birth (ob/gyn). Maybe I’ll send $50 a month. 

• Like 1