Menu

Would this be rude? (Facebook selling question)

Forget-Me-Not

I’m trying to sell a couple of items on Facebook. They could sell separately but it would be easier to sell as a set.

I’ve got a buyer who wants one of the items but not both and has been “trying to get the money together” for almost 24 hrs now (long convoluted story about how her husband didn’t leave the right card so she could get cash and they don’t have Venmo and so on). We are talking $10, not a huge amount of money. 

In the meantime, a second buyer has popped up and wants both items and is ready to go. 

Is it rude to tell the first person that I can’t hold the item for her anymore and she’s out of luck? 

Not at all. May will say that they expect payment in 12-24 hours. And that they keep as a set unless after a week it doesn’t sell. 

I had someone local buy a book for $5 (haggled down).  Then complain my house was too far away…fine I’ll do grocery pick up in the next town over and meet her there since I needed groceries. It was a severe thunderstorm that day/time. I went and waited and waited. She didn’t show.  When I contacted her, she said she forgot and then wanted me to meet her again. No way!  I told her she could pick up or I’d send. She didn’t want to pay the $2 for shipping or drive 20 minutes for the book (retail $30).  Sometimes it’s ok to realize it’s not worth the ordeal and move on. 

Edited by Boymama5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just tell the first woman that you have a buyer coming today and you will let her (first woman) know if it’s still available tonight. We’ve learned to never hold items for more than a few hours. Some people are flakey, and will run you in circles.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Not rude. It's the potential buyer that is rude. Sell to whoever shows up first with the cash. Then delete the listing and all the conversations associated with it will go away! I sell a lot on FB marketplace and have learned not to hold for anyone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Not rude at all, definitely go with a second firm buyer. I have had to put in postings things like do not make an offer to buy unless you also have transportation secured, because the common thing I got was well I want to buy it but I can’t pick it up till you know a week from today when I figure out who’s truck I can borrow. it makes it easier just to say right upfront that’s not gonna work. Wanting to buy something but not having the money to do so is similar, they’re not a serious buyer. 

if there’s anything more that you need to do, it is to respond to the first person who makes an offer, responding to inquiries in order. However, if those people aren’t ready to buy, you’ve already done your responsibility by giving them an opportunity. if they are not ready and able to complete a sale, that’s not your fault.

eta wow what a clumsy voice text 😂 It’s fine for future postings to include things like “no holds,” “look at the measurements and make sure it will fit in your vehicle before making an offer.”

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all! I got back to the second buyer and she met me 20 min later cash in hand. I sent the first buyer a “sorry, no longer available” and archived the listing. Just glad to have it sold and gone! I will definitely be adding a few caveats to future listings. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 10

I do not sell items but I have advertised them as free even if they are still in excellent condition and are desirable.  I note that recipient must get item to vehicle himself or herself and it is strictly first come first served.

Never again!  Too many problems.

I received emails and texts for DAYS when gave away a basically new TKD kick thing that stood upright and cost few hundred dollars.  I had updated post to state item no longer available.  

People kept asking me to hold it for them.  First woman to arrive had her frail elderly mother as helper for the very heavy sand-filled stand.  Husband had to end up getting it into her truck.  

I wouldn’t put up with the wishy washy woman.  People like her are why we simply gave jacuzzi hot tub, exercise equipment, furniture and booze to the workers and contractors who remodeled our house instead of advertising on Facebook give away group.