Menu

Anyone familiar with Seattle neighborhoods?

Toocrazy!!

My niece and fiancé are interested in moving to the Seattle area. 30 year olds, would like to have children soonish, would love to own a house eventually. They would have to find new jobs to relocate, but are fairly employable. I’m not sure how much they make but I’d guess combined salaries are around $150,000 for cost reference. Any suggestions on friendly, welcoming neighborhoods or areas to look at more specifically than just Seattle? 
They are already in a high COLA area, so they somewhat understand what they’re getting into.

3 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

My niece and fiancé are interested in moving to the Seattle area. 30 year olds, would like to have children soonish, would love to own a house eventually. They would have to find new jobs to relocate, but are fairly employable. I’m not sure how much they make but I’d guess combined salaries are around $150,000 for cost reference. Any suggestions on friendly, welcoming neighborhoods or areas to look at more specifically than just Seattle? 
They are already in a high COLA area, so they somewhat understand what they’re getting into.

Seattle neighborhoods are all expensive and exclusive. The only question is degree. DH and I lived in Magnolia.  It was blatantly discriminatory toward minority residents circa 2012. My neighbor was asked to clean, not read, in her kinder’s classroom because of her accent. She was Puerto Rican (AMERICAN for those who don’t know). My aunt/uncle lived on Queen Anne until they sold their home and moved to Issaquah in the mid 2000s. My aunt was asked if she was their kids’ nanny. Her kids were born in the 80s. One still lives on the west side. My cousins/brother attended schools in Seattle, Bellevue and Issaquah. We are Garfield fans and have family who taught there!! We have family who were the first black employees at Boeing and first black jurists in Seattle. My aunt still lives on Baker Hill (used to be the outskirts of acceptable, but now it’s primo, and my brother’s mom still lives in the CD (same). You’d have to ask others about the burbs.

My grandparents, mother, aunts and uncles, are graduates of Ballard HS, were some of the first black residents of Seattle (before restrictive covenants). My grandmother was taunted. Her children were abused. All that is to say, yea, I know Seattle neighborhoods but maybe not the way PNW cheerleaders do. BOTH of my parents are UDub grads.

If I were looking in that area (and I wouldn’t because there is entirely too much value placed on performative inclusivity vs. authenticity, same as the Bible belt) I’d be looking in Federal Way, Lakewood, and Pierce or Kitsap County.

I encouraged a college roomie to consider the area when our kids were young (mid-2010s) when her DH was recruited by SBUX as a VP. He lasted less than 5 years and they moved. Our friendship was damaged. They relocated to NC.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Calizzy said:

I grew up in Kirkland, which is the Eastside (not seattle proper). A modest family home with a single mom as my parent. She sold her house 2 years ago for 1.2 million. There is nothing affordable in a 80 mile radius of Seattle. 

So where did your mom go to? 1.2 million will buy a lot in many places. 

• Thanks 1

Pierce county is more affordable than King. Everyone likes to complain about Tacoma, but I like it. I lived in what some considered a “rough” neighborhood for about ten years and it was fine. We outgrew our house and moved out of the city, and I wish now that we’d stayed in town. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I’m not sure how much they make but I’d guess combined salaries are around $150,000 for cost reference.

When my husband was offered a relocation to Seattle or Bellevue, his take home pay was just above $100k. A board member I asked told me Bellevue is more family friendly than Seattle. We would have to rent an apartment there if we have chosen to relocate. 

• Thanks 1

I have a lot of family in Seattle, and lived there for years. A lot depends on where they will be working...will they be commuting, or working remotely? If not remote, commuting distances need to be of primary consideration, as in any large city, and their neighborhood selection should be focused on proximity to jobs.

By "Seattle", do they mean "downtown Seattle" or "metro area"? If it's just metro area, there are many more possibilities. Pierce County and Bellevue/Issaquah are good suggestions. If they mean Seattle proper, I've always been partial to West Seattle.

They might want to compare COL between Seattle and their current area. Seattle home prices have dropped almost 10% in the last year, but the average sales price is still currently ~$850,000 for a basic house and rental prices are laughable (not in a good way). Child care costs are almost unbelievable. I don't say all this to discourage them (people should go where their hearts are calling them), but it's sooo easy to gloss over expenses when you're excited about moving someplace new. That being said, Seattle will always have a special place in my heart, and the natural beauty of the area can't be beat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I live in an Eastside suburb, $150K per year is not enough to live on here even without kids, with kids, forget about it. Houses are all over $1 million here and most are edging closer to $1.5M. 

I agree with the previous poster that where they live should be dictated by where they will be working, commuting is a nightmare. 

If they are really set on living here I would recommend looking north of Seattle in the Everett area or south of Seattle like Tacoma or even Olympia. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I live in such a low COLA, these prices always make my jaw drop. I know people pay them, but I just can’t imagine getting ahead when you have to dedicate that kind of money to housing. 
But, no one is moving to my state, so it’s all relative. 

I know what you mean. The house we rented on Mercer Island was an adorable mid century ranch. It would have maybe garnered $200k where I live now. The family that owned it decided they were tired of renting and wanted to sell. They offered it to us first - $1.2 million. We just couldn’t. They ultimately sold it for more and the buyers tore it down and built new. 

• Sad 1

I lived in Seattle for 4 years of college, but that was a *ahem* few years ago.   However, I have some family there and my best friend lives there so I visit every few years.

My BFF lives in Kirkland and she has an older home that she says is currently on Zillow as being in the $750,000 range.   I am surprised because even though her home is 1700 sq. ft., it has 5 bedrooms and a decent backyard.   And that 1700 feels larger to me, but I am only there a week or two every few years.

You will prob have to go outside of Seattle.   Have them also take a look at the train route and at bus routes to determine how far out they would feel comfortable moving.   The train and bus websites can give times.    The train runs down near the airport and further down to Tacoma.   The busses are pretty good in the Seattle area.   Much better than many other cities I have lived in.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

Family has been trying to buy (currently renting) in the Bellevue school district for a few years now---can't find a decent home for under 1.4 million all-in (ie--after doing needed structural or mechanical repairs). 

I largely agree with the others:

1. If they aren't planning on working remotely, you really need to consider commute times in scouting neighborhoods.

2. Even if you're used to high COLA, factoring in future childcare makes $150k of household income unworkable for the entire metro

3. Sneezy is spot on in mentioning discriminatory behaviors as something to consider. BIPOC people are 1/3 of Seattle's population, but historic segregation patterns still play out in distribution of people in neighborhoods today.  If you want more history on this, look at: https://depts.washington.edu/civilr/segregation_maps.htm IME, white people tend to think race isn't an issue in the PNW, and BIPOC friends and family give the side-eye when they hear that.  

4. Unhoused persons factor in to a larger % of the population than in most other states. King County alone has an estimated 40,000 houseless people. It's a visual shock to a lot of people on their first visits to the west coast. 

• Thanks 1