Menu

July craft /sewing/maker thread

I'm sick of having to copy routine things into planners, and it's almost fall, so I'm ready for a new planner.  So I bought a Cinch binding thing so I can make a "planner" of just my foreseeable to-do lists. Things like my cleaning routine, car maintenance, routine medical appointments for my kids, planned house projects, etc.  Then I bought a pretty planner from Lily Pulitzer that I used once before but found it didn't have enough space for routine stuff I like to check off. If the punch spacing is the same I might bend open my planner and add the to-do sheets to the back (one quarter at a time).

ETA: The 18 month Jumbo weekly planner IS the same punch size & spacing as the Cinch binding machine, so it was pretty simple to punch my custom pages, take out the weekly ones for next year, and add my custom pages. I think I'll order a round corner punch to make the custom pages blend in better though.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I got this fabric from the op shop for $4 and just finished this shirt. Was needing some more shirts with collars to wear under wool sweaters( what we call jumpers) 

16883404247252506796370691853606.jpg

Is the pattern one you've used before? It looks like it has princess seams? I, too have a collection of shirts for under my wool sweaters. The shirt looks so good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made this dress a bit ago, and had put off the buttonholes, finished it today. I have made this pattern before as well. Last time my daughter came visited when I had  on the dress form and decided it would suite her better than me. She is coming again today. I wonder if she will take this one as well. 🤣

1688353756585440044582645552334.jpg

• Like 17

Glad to read that you are back home after your ordeal, Melissa. I recently stitched a camp shirt. I'm including a photo of the inside because I am very proud of the flat felled seams on the armscye. The buttons are vintage from my mom's button tin. Next up? Another camp shirt! 

20230706_164556-COLLAGE.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

You garment sewers are making me swoon. Wish I had your skills! 

The past two weeks I have raided my stash and the stashes of my two sisters and pieced a quilt for my son. His current quilt is worn out. My daughter will quilt it on her longarm. 

73B6B2C5-2982-4AF1-A753-F1C4CBBA4E78.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Jane in NC said:

Glad to read that you are back home after your ordeal, Melissa. I recently stitched a camp shirt. I'm including a photo of the inside because I am very proud of the flat felled seams on the armscye. The buttons are vintage from my mom's button tin. Next up? Another camp shirt! 

That is beautiful felling

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Annie G said:

The past two weeks I have raided my stash and the stashes of my two sisters and pieced a quilt for my son. His current quilt is worn out. My daughter will quilt it on her longarm. 

That is amazing 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2023 at 1:45 AM, Melissa in Australia said:

16881902258711223016064845201982.jpg

This just makes me happy to look at it! So cheerful. 

On 7/2/2023 at 7:27 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I got this fabric from the op shop for $4 and just finished this shirt. Was needing some more shirts with collars to wear under wool sweaters( what we call jumpers) 

16883404247252506796370691853606.jpg

that fabric! It reminds me of a wall hanging my maternal grandmother embroidered. Love it. 

1 hour ago, Jane in NC said:

I don't even know what a felled seam is, but looking at it I am going to assume it is magic. Garment sewing impresses me so much!

16 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Love this! I really need to go through my stash of scraps and cut squares to make a quilt with. I LOVE how simple half square triangles can be so fancy looking. And am in awe of how well everything lines up!

• Like 1

Finished this quilt last night. I had started it a while ago, but then it got put on the back burner due to cleaning carpets, VBS, etc etc. I got the fabric as a collection of fat quarters using a gift card I got for mother's day. I love blues - all shades - so this called to me. I decided to consider it a "practice" quilt where I just tried different quilting motifs/patterns in each block. I gave myself permission to do it badly, and just have fun trying different things. Some things worked out, some did not, but most of it barely shows from the front anyway so that was perfetc. And it is just to throw on the couch to protect it from the dog/kids. I DO regret using off white thread with a dark blue backing....my um, learning attemps show up very well on the back, lol. But now I can use it to look at when trying to figure out what I want to attempt on another quilt. (the quilt on the wall was made my DH's grandmother, not me, and hand quiltied)

image.thumb.png.faf480928cd6e555ee089332746bfa40.pngimage.thumb.png.cad4b83b41e5fa9310a8d05c38138bda.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Oh, I also made a BUNCH of name tag things with my sublimation printer/ heat press for VBS. I made one style for the campers, and another for the volunteers. For our director I made one that said 'Guiding Star" (our theme was "be a star").

And then on the last day I brought in the heat press and special sublimation markers and the kids got to draw something to decorate the back and we pressed it on. 

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 9.38.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 9.39.37 PM.png

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Oh, I also made a BUNCH of name tag things with my sublimation printer/ heat press for VBS. I made one style for the campers, and another for the volunteers. For our director I made one that said 'Guiding Star" (our theme was "be a star").

And then on the last day I brought in the heat press and special sublimation markers and the kids got to draw something to decorate the back and we pressed it on. 

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 9.38.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-09 at 9.39.37 PM.png

I don't even know what a sublimation printer is, but they look professional.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don't even know what a sublimation printer is, but they look professional.

Basically I bought an eco tank printer and put special sublimation ink into it instead of the ink it came with. It prints that ink onto paper, then you place that image against a surface designed for sublimation, and apply heat. the heat causes the ink to turn into a gas and then stick to the surface of the object permanently. It's very fun! I have made mugs, tumblers, etc with it. 

14 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Katie, your quilting is lovely! I enjoy contrasting thread so I can see the quilting. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

Finished my Narnia piece!  Now for framing. 

71103200272__41ECACA2-ADCC-43DF-AE2E-987EBD40F1B7.jpeg

Pretty, pretty! This is a skill I've never experienced, so if my question is indelicate please laugh it off, but I'm curious what the back looks like? Are colors carried along or do they get tired off frequently?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tie off.  Many full coverage (every square stitched) stitchers will carry their threads.  I tried a little on this one but found it awkward and unwieldy.  

7 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Pretty, pretty! This is a skill I've never experienced, so if my question is indelicate please laugh it off, but I'm curious what the back looks like? Are colors carried along or do they get tired off frequently?

ETA: I will try to remember to come back and share a pic of the back. 

Edited by Kidlit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did some quilting! Altho I know binding techniques, I have never actually quilted  Like this. I have mad only rag quilts in the past. 

I made heat resistant largish placemats for our end tables…where we drink /spill our morning coffee, and hubby eats his snacks at night. 
I made the blue/teal/white one to match a summer Afghan I keep on my sofa. 

IMG_3525.jpeg

IMG_6062.jpeg

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

I did some quilting! Altho I know binding techniques, I have never actually quilted  Like this. I have mad only rag quilts in the past. 

I made heat resistant largish placemats for our end tables…where we drink /spill our morning coffee, and hubby eats his snacks at night. 

IMG_3525.jpeg

IMG_6062.jpeg

I love these! I need to make some mug rugs, and I do have some insulbright, so heat resistant is a great idea! Thanks!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kidlit said:

Finished my Narnia piece!  Now for framing. 

71103200272__41ECACA2-ADCC-43DF-AE2E-987EBD40F1B7.jpeg

What a beautiful stitch!  I’m so excited to see another stitcher. I feel like Buddy the Elf when his little brother gets out of school. I have a million questions I’d ask!  Lol. I’ll just leave it at admiring your beautiful work. I can’t wait to see what you work on next. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KatieJ said:

IMG_3525.jpeg

IMG_6062.jpeg

Beautiful!  I love them both but those turquoise colors are amazing. The crochet blanket is beautiful as well. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 8:32 PM, ktgrok said:

Finished this quilt last night. I had started it a while ago, but then it got put on the back burner due to cleaning carpets, VBS, etc etc. I got the fabric as a collection of fat quarters using a gift card I got for mother's day. I love blues - all shades - so this called to me. I decided to consider it a "practice" quilt where I just tried different quilting motifs/patterns in each block. I gave myself permission to do it badly, and just have fun trying different things. Some things worked out, some did not, but most of it barely shows from the front anyway so that was perfetc. And it is just to throw on the couch to protect it from the dog/kids. I DO regret using off white thread with a dark blue backing....my um, learning attemps show up very well on the back, lol. But now I can use it to look at when trying to figure out what I want to attempt on another quilt. (the quilt on the wall was made my DH's grandmother, not me, and hand quiltied)

image.thumb.png.faf480928cd6e555ee089332746bfa40.pngimage.thumb.png.cad4b83b41e5fa9310a8d05c38138bda.png

Oh my goodness. I’m scrolling up through this thread because the cross stitch caught my eye. I’m also a quilter, and this is gorgeous!  If I remember correctly, you haven’t been quilting too long, have you?  This is just amazing. Great job!

On 7/9/2023 at 8:08 PM, Annie G said:

This is beautiful!  Half-square triangles are awesome. And you are so lucky to have a daughter with a longarm!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2023 at 10:11 PM, Melissa in Australia said:

I made this dress a bit ago, and had put off the buttonholes, finished it today. I have made this pattern before as well. Last time my daughter came visited when I had  on the dress form and decided it would suite her better than me. She is coming again today. I wonder if she will take this one as well. 🤣

1688353756585440044582645552334.jpg

Do you have a pattern link for this? Such a cute dress.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:25 AM, KatieJ said:

IMG_3525.jpeg

IMG_6062.jpeg

Love these! What a great idea and they are so pretty. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LifeLovePassion said:

Do you have a pattern link for this? Such a cute dress.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/689328607/pdf-vintage-1940s-sewing-pattern-two?click_key=712e7aa2724fc6bc9577ac4cf1089f41e44a7e8f%3A689328607&click_sum=eec46bf6&ref=hp_rv-1

The pattern comes in one size, but there is the same pattern in other sizes I think at that etsy shop 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got two finishes back from framing.  The "All Will Be Well" was an old finish I just got around to taking.  The Narnia piece will go over my bedroom chair with my Little Women piece. My goal is a gallery of novel/story finishes. 

IMG_0152.jpeg

IMG_0153.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I am working on this. I have to produce an arrangement for an Arbor for a wedding. Pale peach peonies, dark peach cabbage roses, and coffee colored unopened roses, all silk because I have to make it in advance and drive it 3 hrs. I don't have refrigeration for something so big. But the tables are getting live peach unopened roses, white baby's breath, and pale pale peach carnations in an eclectic mix of bottles and bud vases on wood slabs with votive candles in jars, on top of ivory table runners which are on olive green table cloths. In between the wood slab centerpieces, I am doing live, boston fern laid end to end as a none wired garland. Very woodsy. Both brides are carrying live flowers which I ordered from a local florist. These will just fit inside my Rtic cooler with a Mylar layer and towel between the bouquets so the petals do not frost from laying directly on the ice packs.

Sorry the pic is blurry. I couldn't get the kindle to do better. I also need to go to Michaels for some dried eucalyptus before I get started.

IMG_20230729_105919.jpg

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

I made a grocery bag this week out of empty rice sacks that I've been collecting. It feels a little silly, but I will chuckle every time I use it. Plus, I'm glad to divert some garbage into something useful.

PXL_20230730_015657611.jpg

Not silly at all!  My grocery totes are made from malt sacks that I salvaged from the home brew store! I have a tutorial in a PDF format that I wrote for my former 4-H sewing club on how to turn chicken feed sacks into totes.  If anyone wants a copy, sent me a PM with your email address. Since it was written for novice stitchers, I have included tons of detail.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I bought myself a new sewing machine last month and am loving it. So far I made this sleeveless top for myself and this tote as a birthday gift for a dear friend who came out as gay during Covid.

sleevelessblouselength.thumb.jpg.8cbaaf6c3ae2fc113285a0028a74313d.jpg20230723_181717.thumb.jpg.abc899db8be2abf65fa195df07555c63.jpg20230723_181734.thumb.jpg.9a66fa129168ee11d603c74236f944e0.jpg

Very stylish outfit! The zipper tote looks handy, did you draft it yourself or use a pattern? The pockets look very useful. I am feeling a need to carry a purse again, after a few years without, and I'm trying to decide what features are important to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

The zipper tote looks handy, did you draft it yourself or use a pattern? The pockets look very useful. I am feeling a need to carry a purse again, after a few years without, and I'm trying to decide what features are important to me.

I kind of put these two together. I wanted a zipper tote but also more pockets. I used fat quarters for both the outside and lining. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mSUy7ehU1w&list=PLebFrBLEo4sl6cWn7jyDUuOzJl7FEzuGi&index=10&t=439s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lr8VnSXe9I&list=PLebFrBLEo4sl6cWn7jyDUuOzJl7FEzuGi&index=12

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:37 AM, Kidlit said:

I got two finishes back from framing.  The "All Will Be Well" was an old finish I just got around to taking.  The Narnia piece will go over my bedroom chair with my Little Women piece. My goal is a gallery of novel/story finishes. 

IMG_0152.jpeg

IMG_0153.jpeg

I love the idea of a gallery of novel finishes!

On 7/29/2023 at 11:07 AM, Faith-manor said:

I am working on this. I have to produce an arrangement for an Arbor for a wedding. Pale peach peonies, dark peach cabbage roses, and coffee colored unopened roses, all silk because I have to make it in advance and drive it 3 hrs. I don't have refrigeration for something so big. But the tables are getting live peach unopened roses, white baby's breath, and pale pale peach carnations in an eclectic mix of bottles and bud vases on wood slabs with votive candles in jars, on top of ivory table runners which are on olive green table cloths. In between the wood slab centerpieces, I am doing live, boston fern laid end to end as a none wired garland. Very woodsy. Both brides are carrying live flowers which I ordered from a local florist. These will just fit inside my Rtic cooler with a Mylar layer and towel between the bouquets so the petals do not frost from laying directly on the ice packs.

Sorry the pic is blurry. I couldn't get the kindle to do better. I also need to go to Michaels for some dried eucalyptus before I get started.

IMG_20230729_105919.jpg

So pretty! I love flowers so much but my stupid cat eats them. She even nibbles on the fake ones!

On 7/29/2023 at 9:57 PM, Miss Tick said:

I made a grocery bag this week out of empty rice sacks that I've been collecting. It feels a little silly, but I will chuckle every time I use it. Plus, I'm glad to divert some garbage into something useful.

PXL_20230730_015657611.jpg

This is SO cute! I would totally think this was store bought!

23 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I bought myself a new sewing machine last month and am loving it. So far I made this sleeveless top for myself and this tote as a birthday gift for a dear friend who came out as gay during Covid.

sleevelessblouselength.thumb.jpg.8cbaaf6c3ae2fc113285a0028a74313d.jpg20230723_181717.thumb.jpg.abc899db8be2abf65fa195df07555c63.jpg20230723_181734.thumb.jpg.9a66fa129168ee11d603c74236f944e0.jpg

Do you have a pattern name you could share for the top? I just bought some cheap fabric to try my hand at making a sleeveless top, but was going to wing it using an old shirt as a pattern, and some youtube videos. If you have a pattern you like though I might do that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Do you have a pattern name you could share for the top? I just bought some cheap fabric to try my hand at making a sleeveless top, but was going to wing it using an old shirt as a pattern, and some youtube videos. If you have a pattern you like though I might do that. 

Simplicity S9130. It was an older pattern re-released under this new number. The top can be sleeveless or 3/4 sleeve and it also has a skirt and wide leg pants pattern (both elastic waist). 

https://simplicity.com/simplicity/s9130

• Like 2