Menu

I'm surprised how many people give each other baked goods.

I generally give baked goods to people who don't bake themselves and are unlikely to be receiving a glut of baked gifts, so they are very appreciative to get some homemade goods. However, to me that is just an incredible amount of work, so I don't do a whole lot of it. I would be completely crushed if I knew someone threw it away!

Colleen, I wonder if you don't much feel like baked goods are a hot commodity because you bake frequently yourself? I think if you do a lot of baking already, receiving even more may just feel like overkill.

coffeescreen.gif

I agree with Pam and Sarah. I would not think twice about eating something that someone else cooked/baked. Until this thread, I never though of it at all. We had an Italian neighbor when we were newlyweds who made us pignoli cookies every year. It was one of the highlights of our Christmas to receive that paper plate with alumimun foil covering warm cookies.

I agree. I have no problem eating stuff people give me as long as it's tempting and edible.

I lived in NYC and ate out nearly every day for six years. Ever see one of the investigative reports on TV showing the dirty kitchens in resturants? Doesn't bother me a bit. I have only once gotten ill from something I've eaten in a resturant (raspberries to you Manhatten Ocean Club - avoid the Shrimp Scampi)

My elderly neighbor bakes tons and frequently gives to us. I'm grateful.

I generally give baked goods to people who don't bake themselves and are unlikely to be receiving a glut of baked gifts, so they are very appreciative to get some homemade goods. However, to me that is just an incredible amount of work, so I don't do a whole lot of it. I would be completely crushed if I knew someone threw it away!

Colleen, I wonder if you don't much feel like baked goods are a hot commodity because you bake frequently yourself? I think if you do a lot of baking already, receiving even more may just feel like overkill.

:iagree:

It is an incredible amount of work, and I am not sure how much money I am really spending. I have been through a lot of flour and sugar this week. I think it is probably more expensive than I think. I tend to bake for my mother and MIL who no longer bake for themselves anymore. I make my dad an apple pie because I know he likes it. I do give the Sunday school teachers bread or spiced nuts.

I am wondering what to do for the neighbors though. I would like to reach out to them a little bit, but after this discussion, and my incredible busy baking day I am wondering if I shouldn't come up with a different plan. Time is short though.

Jennie

I figure if I can eat at restaurants, I can eat something someone bakes. I've worked in a restaurant, and I figure a person baking something special for someone is probably going to be more conscientous than a crew of various people putting in an 8-hour shift. At home, at least it's probably only being handled by one person.

I gave homemade candy to our mail carrier and I did ask her days beforehand if she would like to have homemade chocolate candy. If she had said no, I certainly would have chosen a different gift for her.

I also gave some to our refrigerator delivery team and the icemaker installer after asking if they liked it and were allowed to take it. All three men replied with enthusiatic yesses on both counts! I've even given some to the county snowplow driver when I happened to be out as he was working on our street! He acted pleased to get it.

It seems more personal/meaningful to me to give that as opposed to the equivalent cash or gift card value.

Chelle

I also gave some to our refrigerator delivery team and the icemaker installer after asking if they liked it and were allowed to take it.

This reminds me of my mom. Whoever comes to her house -- the tree guy, the air conditioner guys, whatever -- get donuts and coffee or lemonade and cookies. One time she even ordered the tree guys pizza AND they tip them on top of that.

I personally think that treating people that way is a dying art. I think people are just too uptight these days and too inwardly focused most of the time. My mom is just amazing in that way.

Your mom sounds like a gem, Dawn. I don't go so far as to make things for everybody, but I do try to offer something to people that do work at my house--usually just a small thing like a bottle of Gatorade or a frozen fruit bar. My husband does most of our household work, so it's not too often that I have workers like that around anyway.

Chelle

This is a darned funny thread.

The main reason I don't bake for others much is that I use about half the usual amount of sugar and whole wheat pastry flour. My friends who are accustomed to spongy light, super sweet confections think I'm depriving my children, forcing them to eat bricks. I don't skimp on buttuh, though, so it's not like I'm a health fanatic or anything.

As I mentioned in Kathleen's thread, I didn't even think I was allowed to give edible gifts to strangers. Was it cyanide in the Halloween candy back when I was in middle school? I remember some kids dying, and I had this vague idea that ever since then it just wasn't done anymore, homemade food gifts.

I do eat any gifts that come my way, however. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, oh happy day.

I don't give people goodies to eat unless they've:

1.) Asked me for goodies.

2.) Agreed to be one of my sample taste-testers for new restaurant desserts I'm making.

I do, on occasion, give freshly-baked loaves of whole wheat bread along with a small jar of homemade strawberry preserves. I *think* that the people I give bread and jam to are willing to eat it, but if not, it's the thought that counts. I hope they at least give it to their dogs to enjoy...feed it to the birds...whatever! :D

And Julie, I'd like to volunteer to be a taste-tester. The distance might be a small problem, but we could work around it, I'm sure!

Lol! The taste testing thing makes some people a little uncomfortable. I give people fair warning that I'm expecting *very* specific comments about each part of a dessert. I don't want to just hear, "Mmmm, that's to die for!", I want to hear, "well I like the filling, but I'd prefer it to have a hint more _______, and the crust is pretty good, but the edge is a little over-brown for my taste." Not many folks seem to have the ability to be my "official" taste-testers!

Good points. I have found myself in this boat until recently. I enjoy holiday baking and my family likes to eat "my" treats and not someone else's, so they would cringe when someone handed us a plate of homemade goodies. Now that I am teaching full time I hadn't baked a single thing until yesterday. All month the kids were asking when I would bake cookies and I would tell them, the 20th (the first day of vacation). They were very happy to see other people's homemade treats come home with me periodically this past week from school. Several parents gifted us with goodies. I have been blessed all month with goodies at school in the teachers' lounge. It seems like every day there was something new in there to eat, some folks even gifted us with big crock pots full of chili so we would have a hot lunch even if we didn't buy one. The folks who gifted me and my family with food items this year have been such an incredible blessing. I am really feeling the love!

Yesterday and today are my personal baking days and our household is thrilled. While my family still likes my baking best, they have come to appreciate the efforts of others more than before.

I still remember the first year we moved into this house. It was four years ago. A neighbor from down the street brought us a plate of Christmas cookies to welcome us. The cookies were really not very good, but we ate them anyway and the sentiment warmed our hearts.

On the flip side, I have one person whose goodies I will not eat because they upset my digestional tract. She bakes with a lot of artificial ingredients thinking it is healthier. Fake sugar and fat should never be a part of holiday baking, never. Shudder. :lol:

Enjoy homemade treats for what they are, a gift of time and caring. Even if you don't eat them all you can still feel honored by receiving them.

This is a darned funny thread.

The main reason I don't bake for others much is that I use about half the usual amount of sugar and whole wheat pastry flour. My friends who are accustomed to spongy light, super sweet confections think I'm depriving my children, forcing them to eat bricks. I don't skimp on buttuh, though, so it's not like I'm a health fanatic or anything.

As I mentioned in Kathleen's thread, I didn't even think I was allowed to give edible gifts to strangers. Was it cyanide in the Halloween candy back when I was in middle school? I remember some kids dying, and I had this vague idea that ever since then it just wasn't done anymore, homemade food gifts.

I do eat any gifts that come my way, however. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, oh happy day.

Actually, a dad killed his own son w/cyanide lace pixie stix on Halloween in 197? I think the urban legend spread from there.

I've never looked at homemade baked goods the same since a particularly close couple let it slip that the wife had done some baking with "breast milk" and thought it quite healthy :ack2:

I'm sure that some might find that in the realm of acceptable, but just call me picky??:svengo:

Kim

Fwiw I do think that's outside the realm of acceptable.....but really, think about it: we'll drink 'breastmilk' from a cow but not another human? Interesting....

Just musing though. I'll put half and half in my coffee, but can't imagine putting some of my lactating SIL's milk in said coffee:)

K

Edited by cillakat

Actually, a dad killed his own son w/cyanide lace pixie stix on Halloween in 197? I think the urban legend spread from there.

Yes, there was an urban legend. But in Colorado some children actually were poisoned. Early 80s. I remember because the next year the local police station offered to let kids bring in their candy to run in through the metal detector, x-ray thingamajig.

Hmmm, I don't have anyone do any baking for me and I only bake for family but I actually have more difficulty eating food from fast food joints, restaurants, and commercially prepared items than homemade items. I do agree about ingredient choices being a factor because we stay away from certain things here but I figure treats are not a steady diet so its ok. I can get myself really paranoid about eating out though.

Yes, there was an urban legend. But in Colorado some children actually were poisoned. Early 80s. I remember because the next year the local police station offered to let kids bring in their candy to run in through the metal detector, x-ray thingamajig.

You can't find poison by x-raying candy. :)

The hospital where my dh works x-rays candy every year. It is a publicity move. Every year the TV crews come down and show the kids and the techs smiling. It is a big happy photo-op. They have never found a foreign object.

You can't find poison by x-raying candy. :)

The hospital where my dh works x-rays candy every year. It is a publicity move. Every year the TV crews come down and show the kids and the techs smiling. It is a big happy photo-op. They have never found a foreign object.

No, that was for the razors in the apples. Which is why we don't give out apples at Halloween anymore. When my mom was a kid, that was her favorite treat. She and her brother used to line up all the apples they'd gotten from neighbor's trees to compare the beautiful colors and shapes.

My point is that our whole culture has changed in the last 30 or so years. In more ways than this one, obviously.

First, I just returned home from church where I passed out mini loaves of cranberry orange nut bread- my traditional thank-you's to my helpers for the Christmas program. Don't I feel like a heel now. I mean, really, what was I thinking?

Second, I do have friends who have the same reservations Colleen has. I got into some hot water with my cookie exchange because I didn't invite one of these ladies. My intent was to spare her the discomfort of taking home 6 dozen cookies made in unfamiliar kitchens. The result was that her feelings were hurt because she was excluded. In the future I'll try for less logic and more people skills.:D

Lol! The taste testing thing makes some people a little uncomfortable. I give people fair warning that I'm expecting *very* specific comments about each part of a dessert. I don't want to just hear, "Mmmm, that's to die for!", I want to hear, "well I like the filling, but I'd prefer it to have a hint more _______, and the crust is pretty good, but the edge is a little over-brown for my taste." Not many folks seem to have the ability to be my "official" taste-testers!

I'm confident in my ability to meet your specs, Julie. ;) Now, for the miles between us...not too sure how to address that challenge in a suitable way!!

Chelle

You want critique. It is a specific set of skills, isn't it? I seek similar input and discussion on my writing so I know how hard it is to find someone who thinks and can articulate what they think.

LOL...I'm joined a group last year that helps our minister refine his preaching skills. At the first meeting (for me, the others had been meeting for a couple of years) the guys went around the circle...'I thought you were fine." I thought it was great'.... I just happened to be the last one in the circle and got out my PAGE of notes. LOL I was *specific*, both positive and not so positive. It's a form of deconstruction in hopes of future construction.

Happy baking!

I would not think twice about eating something that someone else cooked/baked.

It's not necessarily the fact that someone else made it. I didn't express myself well in my original post when I mentioned the unfamiliar kitchens. That's why I clarified later and explained:

"It's not so much that I'm wigged out about how clean their kitchen is or isn't...I just wouldn't want to have all that stuff... I'd so much rather people share food with people who are truly in need of it."

One neighbor just delivered a loaf of pumpkin nut bread to us this morning, and I do plan to include that with our dinner later. I appreciate her thoughtfulness, naturally! Still, if I were going the direction of a soup kitchen today, I would drop the bread off there since we eat plenty of homemade baked goods.

I think it's so nice when someone bakes something and gives you as a gift. Homemade and from the heart. I love to eat, don't gain weight easily and can eat and do eat huge amounts. I think it's thoughtful of people to care enough to give you something. And baked goods translate in time and effort as well.

That said, we eat plenty of baked goods from people we don't know well as dh works at a retail store where he satisfies customers, and in return we receive baked goods -- yum :)

I guess I'm more leary about giving baked things to people than eating things from unfamiliar kitchens. I mean, I eat at restaurants so I'm eating food prepared by people I do not know and there's plenty of evidence that you can get good and sick from doing that. Especially now that we know that employees only have to "wash hands" and not literally wash their hands. :D:tongue_smilie:

But I don't want people to have to wonder if I've baked a razor into their Christmas gift so I don't give baked goods to people unless they are people I know very, very well. Those people know to look for the razor. My mail carrier got a box of candy.

I also limit my gifting of food to my friends who need it. My friends that can exist without food get a gift card to the bookstore.

Edited by Zelda

But I don't want people to have to wonder if I've baked a razor into their Christmas gift so I don't give baked goods to people unless they are people I know very, very well. Those people know to look for the razor. My mail carrier got a box of candy.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

I never think about the kitchen that baked foods come from...I just don't really like receiving baked goods as a gift, because we usually don't eat it...just because we're picky and most people make "special" baked goods when they're baking for others. Cookies with things in them, weird breads, things with nuts, etc. I always feel so terribly bad excepting things...because I know the person cared enough to bake for me...and I know the chances are that it'll just go bad because none of us will like it.

I'll never understand why people are so grossed out by the idea of cooking/baking with breastmilk. Why is the idea of milk from cows more palatable? If it's safe enough to feed a baby, how is it disgusting for an adult? It's milk.

Well, I don't even drink milk from cows. And their teats are sanitized before milking. You can't say that of women who nurse or would use milk to cook/bake. I've never met a woman who actually sanitized her breasts beforehand!

I fall somewhere in the middle. I would prefer NOT to have breastmilk as an ingredient;:001_huh: otherwise, I am totally charmed and grateful that someone would think of me and take the time to bake me or my family a treat. If I don't care for it, one of my kids or my spouse will, and it will look festive on the kitchen counter.:001_smile:

I give baked goods to neighbors, AWANA leaders, Sunday School Teachers, piano teacher, and family....why? Because my kids love to help me bake and it is a gift we can make affordably. I would LOVE to give those people a gift card to Borders or amazon.com, but that would add up to a lot of $$$ very quickly. I'd rather say "I tried" than "I didn't think of you." :auto:

Melissa in St Louis

I just simply can't imagine being able to eat all the cookies, sweet breads, fudge, candies and brittles that we receive every year, and I don't fun a mail route:)

I hate to admit it, but I throw a lot of it away. I take a bite or two, try to pass it off to the kids or husband, but in the end, there are just so many cookies that we are going to be willing or able to eat. So unless we just LOVE the item, we probably aren't going to eat all of it. None of us likes banana/cranberry/pumkin breads much, and I feel so badly that people give it to us and then we don't eat it. But it's not a good item to regift or pass on in most cases.

I wish that people would make these gestures at other times of the year. I'd love a plate of cookies in May. In December, I just receive too dang many.

And I also want to say that a Christmas card with a written message of affection, thanks or love is also from the heart. I don't dismiss any gift as being not really from the heart.

As a teacher I get a lot of baked goods and (don't hate me, please) most of them end up in the garbage. My family just can NOT eat all the stuff I get. I feel horrible, but I don't want all those extra calaries. I really appreciate the thought, but I just can't eat everything.

And, I'll confess to something else. There are a couple of students that I would not eat anything that their hands might have possibly touched. :-)

As a teacher I get a lot of baked goods and (don't hate me, please) most of them end up in the garbage. My family just can NOT eat all the stuff I get. I feel horrible, but I don't want all those extra calaries. I really appreciate the thought, but I just can't eat everything.

You can always freeze them for later! DH is a high school teacher, which means the baked goods are kept to a minimum, but he usually gets a couple loafs of banana bread or something and some cookies, and we freeze what we can't eat right away.

I enjoy giving and getting homemade gifts...this year we're mostly giving homemade applesauce and jams, though--don't need to be eaten right away and not quite so bad for you.

I throw a lot of it away. I love it when good friends bake something, but not people I don't know very well...I have issues. Plus, my ds has a dairy allergy and people just do not take that into consideration. I have a friend who is constantly making stuff for us (and I mean even when we're invited for dinner) that has dairy in it. I don't mind that (we are used to bringing our own food or feeding ds before we do somewhere) except that she keeps insisting it doesn't. I have to explain over and over again that he can't have butter. Or cheese. Or sour cream. Or yogurt. She thinks it's just milk.

Oh, and I don't like eating dinner at anyone's house either. I have some friends who are marvelous cooks (and I love to be invited!), but at one house last year another friend served pumpkin soup. The pumpkin was moldy before she cooked it!

Margaret