Menu

HUGE new TV - what should we watch?

ktgrok

For mother's day we got a couch that the whole family can fit on (giant 7 person sectional). For Father's day we got a new TV - 85 inches!! It's obscene, lol. AND the full surround sound system with the sound bar and rear channels and sub woofer and who knows what else. CRAZY. But given how much it costs to take a family of 6 to the movies, we are considering an investment, lol. (plus, DH works ridiculously hard and it made him really happy - he's been talking about wanting a new tv for YEARS. We went in for a 75 inch, but those were hard to find in what we wanted so I told him to get the bigger, better one. He's like a little kid with a new toy, lol. 

Anyway...what should we watch to get the full experience, lol? Right now it's had Bluey on it mostly, although last night we watched the first part of the Super Mario Brothers movie and will finish that tonight. DH and I also watched part of a nat geo documentary about the national parks, and then for fun some "true animal facts" and the tik tok video "creepy dave" lol. 

Need not scary or emotionally traumatic ideas that we can watch as a family - now that we have our own giant screen and enough seating to do it! (before people had to sit on the floor or drag kitchen chairs into the room to watch together)

• Like 3

I've been in a small scale mission to make sure my boys have been exposed to as many of the Disney classics as possible.  My 10 yo really liked Bedknobs and Broomsticks last summer.  We watched Pollyanna a few weekends ago and enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Need not scary or emotionally traumatic ideas that we can watch as a family - now that we have our own giant screen and enough seating to do it! (before people had to sit on the floor or drag kitchen chairs into the room to watch together)

Oops maybe not the littlest one. There is some language, and some senseless fighter jet shooting stuff, but no gore.

29 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Oops maybe not the littlest one. There is some language, and some senseless fighter jet shooting stuff, but no gore.

Yeah, we may need two lists - a list for all of us, and one for the olders only. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

Top Gun, but it's extra good if you also allow your husband to by a sound system... 😉

Um... I love this movie because my husband and I saw it on our blind date. I would in no way, however, recommend for family movie night.  In addition to language and the sexual banter between the pilots there is a sex scene and language. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BandH said:

Fantasia!  Nothing is more suited for a giant screen than hippos doing ballet.

oh! I love this!

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Inky says you should watch Cat TV.  

ha - my crazy cat might then attempt to break the tv. 

27 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

John Wick, all 4 of them. I’m a huge fan of the movies, and Keanu Reeves must be even better looking on a huge screen.

sorry, but no. I refuse to watch John Wick because the dog dies. I do not watch anything where the dog dies. My husband LOVES those movies, because for him it's fine if it is tragic and awful, because yay vengeance! But I won't enjoy the rest of the movie, I'll be fixating on the dead dog/tragedy. Heck, I'm sort of fixated on it already and I've never seen it, lol. 

When I saw some old action movie back in the 90s a weimaraner appears to die, to drown. I was at the theater and wanted to leave but my boyfriend refused. So I went out to the lobby and called my roommate to check that my dog (a weimaraner puppy)was okay and calm down. Thankfully, the dog turned out not to be dead, and comes back later in the movie, but I'm still salty about it. 

23 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Except for the littles I would think the Jurassic Park movies. Those are scary though, so I wouldn't do them around the younger kids. 

We have been studying prehistory all year, so are going to watch it with the 10 and 13 yr old, but I'll take the little one upstairs to watch something else in my room!

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

oh! I love this!

ha - my crazy cat might then attempt to break the tv. 

sorry, but no. I refuse to watch John Wick because the dog dies. I do not watch anything where the dog dies. My husband LOVES those movies, because for him it's fine if it is tragic and awful, because yay vengeance! But I won't enjoy the rest of the movie, I'll be fixating on the dead dog/tragedy. Heck, I'm sort of fixated on it already and I've never seen it, lol. 

When I saw some old action movie back in the 90s a weimaraner appears to die, to drown. I was at the theater and wanted to leave but my boyfriend refused. So I went out to the lobby and called my roommate to check that my dog (a weimaraner puppy)was okay and calm down. Thankfully, the dog turned out not to be dead, and comes back later in the movie, but I'm still salty about it. 

We have been studying prehistory all year, so are going to watch it with the 10 and 13 yr old, but I'll take the little one upstairs to watch something else in my room!

Me too! I couldn't finish the movie. Lewis is old and probably won't last another year, and then the dog died and that made me think about Lewis, and next thing you know, I was a mess. I am so glad I am not alone in this! What were they thinking? leave the puppy alone!!!

I vote for Indiana Jones because all kids, at some point, should experience Indy on a big screen. But maybe not for the littlest one.

For everybody, Nanny McPhee, Mary Poppins, Homeward Bound, Racing Stripes, Cool Running, Saving Mrs. Banks (maybe nor for the youngest because it does deal with some life issues like a not gory at all attempted suicide) that could be upsetting but is otherwise a wonderful movie. Rescuers Done Under 1 and 2, How to Train your Dragon, Encanto, the Muppet Treasure Island.

For you, the new Top Gun, Death on the Nile, An Ideal Husband, Clue - because who can resist Tim Curry - Hamilton, Cruella, The Martian (if you like Sci Fi), Dune (again if you like that genre).

Probably all large t.v.s should be christened with a Star Wars movie at some point because well...ya... 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, BandH said:

Fantasia!  Nothing is more suited for a giant screen than hippos doing ballet.

This was going to be my suggestion! I would also add The Incredible Journey.  Either the original 1963 version or the updated Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey.  Both are fun family movies.