Menu

What to do with snake?!

Sneezyone

Once again, I don’t know what is wrong with you all…. But I am duly crossing places off the retirement list, as I take a moment to stop complaining about the snow. I assumed balout (?) was a typo - for what I’m not sure - and now I don’t know whether to look or not. Sigh. Is Maine warm enough for retirement?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, Terabith said:

I think tarantulas are kinda cute if I'm expecting them, but I will admit to being disconcerted when I lived in Texas and it was tarantula migration season, and there'd be swarms of them everywhere.  I also really, really don't like bumping into giant spiders when I don't expect them to be there.  Philosophically, I'm fine with them, but there's a definite surprise factor that is disturbing.  

Scorpions horrify me.  

Wait. Stop. WHAT?

You lived not that far from where I currently live. No one told me tarantulas were a possibility when I moved here. 

I am not philosophically fine with any of this. 

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Arctic Bunny said:

Once again, I don’t know what is wrong with you all…. But I am duly crossing places off the retirement list, as I take a moment to stop complaining about the snow. I assumed balout (?) was a typo - for what I’m not sure - and now I don’t know whether to look or not. Sigh. Is Maine warm enough for retirement?

Think New Brunswick. 🙂

19 hours ago, Innisfree said:

I dunno, daughter of biology teacher here, but I’ve always found skinks inoffensive and quite attractive. The five-lined variety have beautiful blue tails when they’re young,

We have a number of skinks in Florida but the five lined ones are the ones I see most often. I love the blue tails. They're so pretty.

18 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

This! Palmetto bugs and fire ants are so, so icky! Not as bad as ticks, but still icky. 

I don't know what happened but it's been years since I've seen a palmetto bug (the flying kind). I mean years, like the 80s. We used to see them often and now we don't. Fire ants, like a lot of plant and animal species in Florida are non-native and invasive.

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I have taken a few pictures of lizards through the years in funny situations so when I saw this right outside the door I had to take it. LOL

277567_2105960700749_7515464_o.jpg

Sadly those look like the invasive Cuban anoles, making more invasive anoles. 😢

@Sneezyone that looks like a black racer to me. We see them often, especially in spring when they mate. We saw a mating pair when ds was young. He spotted them and shouted "Those snakes are hugging each other! That's so sweet" 🤣🤣 I would leave it be. Sure, it will eat eggs, but nature is brutal and every creature has to eat. Snakes keep rodent pests away. The only time I'd try to have a snake removed is if it was venomous.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 3

The white under chin, slight patterning, and egg eating all say black rat vs racer to me. Racers are a little less girthy, tend to be more solid, and usually don't go for something as big as a duck egg. Black rats are also known as chicken snakes for a reason. They'll keep rats out of your coop, but you'll pay an egg tax. They're also big enough that chickens can't kill an adult like they can smaller snakes. (I'm not sure if ducks can kill snakes are all. Bills are less pointy than beqks...) 

The easiest way to tell them apart-if you step towards it and it's gone, it's a racer. If it stays around, it's a rat snake. 

Racers are also the only non-venomous snake that L's herp mentors recommend gloves to handle. They tend to be bitey. 

The most urban snake we ever found was not one but two separate black racers, on I-Drive in Orlando, right by Sea World. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Like 4

In a hurry so didn't read replies - if snake is already gone ignore this, lol. 

1.  A stream of water from the hose turned on them will usually get them to vamoose, and you can stay far away. 

2. If that doesn't work, there is a facebook group that is just volunteers who will relocate snakes, even venomous ones. No charge. https://www.facebook.com/groups/FreeSnakeRemovalDirectory

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

The white under chin, slight patterning, and egg eating all say black rat vs racer to me. Racers are a little less girthy, tend to be more solid, and usually don't go for something as big as a duck egg. Black rats are also known as chicken snakes for a reason. They'll keep rats out of your coop, but you'll pay an egg tax. They're also big enough that chickens can't kill an adult like they can smaller snakes. (I'm not sure if ducks can kill snakes are all. Bills are less pointy than beqks...) 

The easiest way to tell them apart-if you step towards it and it's gone, it's a racer. If it stays around, it's a rat snake. 

Racers are also the only non-venomous snake that L's herp mentors recommend gloves to handle. They tend to be bitey. 

The most urban snake we ever found was not one but two separate black racers, on I-Drive in Orlando, right by Sea World. 

They definitely are bitey. My dad would catch them in the yard while doing yard work, (catch them to move them so they don't get mowed) and would let us kids hold them. He'd say, "don't worry, they don't bite!" Then they would bite us. Then he would say, "well...not hard....". It's amazing we still trusted him, because that conversation happened a lot, lol. 

DS caught one last week in our yard while mowing. Got a few nips. But yeah, they are FAST and hard to catch if not up against a wall. 

We had one at our front door last year - our dryer vent is on the wall of the garage right by our front door do he was hanging out enjoying the heat on a cool day. My parents were coming over to see our house for the first time and I walked right by it to greet them at the car, and we only saw it as we were walking back up to the house. I just shooed it away. 

Edited by ktgrok

2 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Also agree it looks too chonky to be a a racer, and seems to have slight patterning, although maybe that's just light reflection? Also agree that if it's a racer it will race off. 

This snake wasn’t in any hurry but I might try the water next time. It left already but the local herp society said it was a rat snake and I should let it go on its way (which I did).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

It's  very nice here.  Been to Sydney last week.  Was supposed to go to Melbourne in a week and then Canberra but my mom just started hospice care so I'm heading back to the  US without the rest of the family next Sunday.  I have to ask my husband;  I think he is going to Brisbane after we go back to the US.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum. Thinking of you all.

• Like 3

On 4/22/2023 at 8:30 PM, YaelAldrich said:

It's  very nice here.  Been to Sydney last week.  Was supposed to go to Melbourne in a week and then Canberra but my mom just started hospice care so I'm heading back to the  US without the rest of the family next Sunday.  I have to ask my husband;  I think he is going to Brisbane after we go back to the US.

I am so sorry about your mom.  Sending some prayers your mom and some hugs to you.

• Like 1